Rare or Well done?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Coinmn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2005/11/02 11:49:33 (permalink)

Rare or Well done?

How do most of our posters like their burgers?
Well-done,
Medium,
Medium-Rare,
Rare?

After growing up on the east coast, I find that in the midwest it is next to impossible to find a great med-rare burger, and that I send 70% of the burgers back to be redone after specifically telling the waitress that I will send it back if it comes well-done.

Another observation is that that cooks who eat their meat well-done tend to cook all food well-done....

Can't a guy get a great med-rare cheeseburger in the Twin Cities that juicy and palatable? Suggestions?

comments? Observations? Has anyone else had this experience?

89 Replies Related Threads

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 12:20:12 (permalink)
    For some reason, I have the belief that one should be cautious when getting anything other than a well done burger. I almost always get burgers well done. I just don't trust that the meat is going to be "clean" enough.
    Contrary to that, I never order a steak well done. I guess if I was at a steak house, if I ordered a burger, I might be more inclined to get a burger less than well done. But then, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't go to a steak house and order a hamburger in the first place.

I used to always get medium rare burgers, but with all the meat problems in the past, I just don't feel safe getting less than well done any more. Perhaps it's just unfounded fear. And, I have enjoyed some well done burgers that were still moist and delicious, without blood running out the side or turning my bun red. Maybe it's the Worchester sauce that they mix in the meat that keeps it that way, I don't know.

I love medium rare steaks. And still order them medium rare at restaurants.

This probably makes no sense. oh well.

saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 12:43:57 (permalink)
    Personally, I'll always take my chances with a med-rare to rare burger.

However, what you are saying makes sense. The bacteria resides on the outside of piece of beef. The bacteria is cooked off of even the outside of a rare steak, so it is safe.

On a burger, once the beef is ground, the bacteria is mixed within the meat, so the only thing that will truly kill it is to cook the burger through.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18938
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 12:47:59 (permalink)
    There are some places where you can still get a rare of medium rare burger, but most places will say no. Heck, I remember that for a while you had to sign a piece of paper at Waffle House saying that you'd been informed that rare or medium rare may not be safe.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15333
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 12:57:48 (permalink)
    Saps is correct in his description of the danger in ground beef. Ask the folks at Jack in the Box. If the meat has any possiblitity of contamination cooking through and through is the only safe way to eat it.
    Damn, That was my 4000th Post and I wasted it on a crummy Jack in the Box Burger comment.
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 13:26:39 (permalink)
    Pity. It used to be that good restaurants printed on their menus, "Not responsible for items ordered well-done." Now they print, "Not responsible for items NOT ordered well-done."
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 13:46:53 (permalink)
    I like mine medium.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 13:51:34 (permalink)
    i like mine medium rare to rare. But i never get a hamburger when dining out. I only make them at home from ground beef from a trusted butcher. If i was eating sysco meat I would be much more leery.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 13:56:53 (permalink)
    Medium rare--IF its really good beef---med for most ordered out burgers----and----i find it interesting that we have a first time poster and the Mayors 4000th in this one day old forum.
    RIDEANDSLIDEFOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 14:14:58 (permalink)
    HELLO

If you have to eat a burger well done why waste your money, i agree a lot of places won't serve anything less than med. mine's med. rare!

BIG JIM
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 14:47:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RIDEANDSLIDEFOOD

If you have to eat a burger well done why waste your money

How exactly is it a waste of money to order a burger cooked the way you enjoy it most?
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 15:00:52 (permalink)
    medium rare for me but I won't send back a medium well, at home I prefer a high heat quickly charred outside with a pink and juicy middle
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 15:10:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

There are some places where you can still get a rare of medium rare burger, but most places will say no. Heck, I remember that for a while you had to sign a piece of paper at Waffle House saying that you'd been informed that rare or medium rare may not be safe.
    I like rare- md rare. WH would probably be the last place i'd order a boxed institutional frozen burger rare. Maybe not, i ordered a patty melt last time and wasn't aware of this and it was like shoe leather. Are they ok rare? And btw since i blasted WH a while back, i've visited many times in SC. I like their breakfast, and i LOVE grits! Hard to find here in Chicago.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 15:38:52 (permalink)
    At home when I process the beef, I like medium. As for eating out, I've worked in many a kitchen and have observed various food handling methods. From the beef sitting out for an hour while someone weighs and forms the patty, to just plain sitting out during a rush. Start adding up these 'out' of the cooler times and ya start wondering... So dining out, it's always well done... As for a steak where it's a clean cut chunk of cow, I'll always order medium rare...

Dipstick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 15:44:37 (permalink)
    Moooooooooo! (get the idea!)
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18938
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 15:45:20 (permalink)
    When I order a patty melt at Waffle House I order them medium rare. They're always juicy when I get them.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 17:03:18 (permalink)
    For some weird reason I like my burgers cooked medium, but have been known to pinch(just pinches, not handfuls) of uncooked burger when I'm grilling my own at home or using burger in any recipe, that with a dash of salt, YUM! French neighbor started me on that at about the age of 5. I have to keep an eye on my 9 year old, he likes it to. Now, EXTRA RARE!!!!!! Went out to a place last Wednesday, will not mention the name because it is a chain, hey we have no GOOD steak houses(or anything else really for that matter)around here. On Wednesday's you pick out your own steak, they put your name and how you want it cooked on a piece of paper, on the steak. It was worth thanking the cook on he way out!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 17:17:41 (permalink)
    See, now, not saying this to knock Waffle House (again), but Waffle House is EXACTLY the type of place I would get well done...if I went inside and actually ate there.

It's not that the burger won't be juicy. I certainly wouls expect ALL medium rare burgers to be juicy. It's that I don't feel that ground meat, especially at chains like Waffle House, is safe.

And I'm seriously not saying this simply to knock Waffle House (although I don't mind doing that as you all know) but ANY diner place, I'm ordering well done. From independent chain, the this areas Silver Diner, even to Ruby Tuesday's and the like. WELL DONE please.

If you've EVER gotten sick from bad meat, you'd do the same.
    Plus, at the right places, the well done burgers are moist and juicy and flavorful just the same.

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 21:30:22 (permalink)
    Prefer my hamburgers rare. Very rare.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 21:37:47 (permalink)
    I like steak tartare.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 21:52:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Damn, That was my 4000th Post and I wasted it on a crummy Jack in the Box Burger comment.

Mr. Mayor, you'll just have to be more careful on # 5000. Congrats, anyway!

For the last couple of years, I've bought about 99% of my beef from a local farm that raises organic grass-fed.

I cook mine medium-rare. For Mrs. Bushie and my daughter, Bushiette, I leave them until they are medium to medium-well.

When my daughter was very young, I got frustrated one night when "the girls" accused me of serving the burgers "raw". (They were about medium.) I responded, "So, you want your burgers burnt to an inedible crisp???" They replied, "Yes." (D*mn women.)

Bushiette, having the great sense of humor inherited from her father, STILL orders her hamburgers "burnt to an inedible crisp".
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/02 23:47:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Plus, at the right places, the well done burgers are moist and juicy and flavorful just the same.

Yup, shows ya a cook that cares about quality and taste!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/03 11:23:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Coinmn

Well-done,
    Medium,
    Medium-Rare,
    Rare?

After growing up on the east coast, I find that in the midwest it is next to impossible to find a great med-rare burger, and that I send 70% of the burgers back to be redone after specifically telling the waitress that I will send it back if it comes well-done.

Another observation is that that cooks who eat their meat well-done tend to cook all food well-done....

Can't a guy get a great med-rare cheeseburger in the Twin Cities that juicy and palatable? Suggestions?

I like my burgers medium -- which, since I have been ordering burgers in restaurants has always been a challenge. When I cook at home, they somehow always manage to be juicy, charred on the outside, and light pink on the inside.

My expectations, though, when I order a burger out are not much. I don't generally get mad when the burger comes out prepared differently than I like it -- as I understand that there are local regulations that prohibit undercooking burgers. At "better" burger joints, or where they have a reputation for cooking burgers to temperature, then I will be a little more discerningly at the proper cooking.

A friend of mine insists or ordering his steaks "black and blue" or "Pittsburgh-style" when he goes out. Now, there are some places that can do this and some places that can't. I can understand going to a fine steakhouse (one in which you would pay $30+ for your steak) and aksing for such, but why anyone would do this in a diner or other such locale is beyond me. He does the same routine with the server -- "If this isn't cooked the absolute way that I want it, I will send it back." I never understood that -- if you want it that way, that bad - and you know that you can't get it a restaurant, why not order something else, and cook it the way you like it at home?

The notion that cooks cook to the temperature they prefer is proposterous. They cook how they know how to cook. If you go to a lesser quality establishment, chances are the cook is not going to be able to cook to the finest qualities. If you go to a place where they have a reputation for being able to cook to temperature, then your chances of getting that increase.
    aharste
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/03 11:41:19 (permalink)
    Burgers-well done
    Steaks-rare
    Coinmn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/03 12:12:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:
    Originally posted by Coinmn

Well-done,
    Medium,
    Medium-Rare,
    Rare?

I like my burgers medium -- which, since I have been ordering burgers in restaurants has always been a challenge. When I cook at home, they somehow always manage to be juicy, charred on the outside, and light pink on the inside.

My expectations, though, when I order a burger out are not much. I don't generally get mad when the burger comes out prepared differently than I like it -- as I understand that there are local regulations that prohibit undercooking burgers. At "better" burger joints, or where they have a reputation for cooking burgers to temperature, then I will be a little more discerningly at the proper cooking.

A friend of mine insists or ordering his steaks "black and blue" or "Pittsburgh-style" when he goes out. Now, there are some places that can do this and some places that can't. I can understand going to a fine steakhouse (one in which you would pay $30+ for your steak) and aksing for such, but why anyone would do this in a diner or other such locale is beyond me. He does the same routine with the server -- "If this isn't cooked the absolute way that I want it, I will send it back." I never understood that -- if you want it that way, that bad - and you know that you can't get it a restaurant, why not order something else, and cook it the way you like it at home?

The notion that cooks cook to the temperature they prefer is proposterous. They cook how they know how to cook. If you go to a lesser quality establishment, chances are the cook is not going to be able to cook to the finest qualities. If you go to a place where they have a reputation for being able to cook to temperature, then your chances of getting that increase.

Thanks to the "mayor" for honoring me with his 5,000th post and Thanks for all the Great POSTS!! I wanted to clarify something for this poster. When I am looking at a menu at a restaurant and see burgers, I ask if they can make a burger medium-rare. If they say no...I order something else. If they say yes, and I have had them overdone before at that restaurant, I mention that and ask if they are sure the cook can do it medium-rare...if they aren't sure, I'll order something else. There is NO reason to be obnoxious to a server...they are just the PR person fronting for the management/kitchen...give em a break. In my college days, I was a waiter and bartender and eventually a sous chef, and am very laid back in my approach to ordering food and returning stuff that is done the wrong way. Another thing I should mention...I wouldn't order a burger at BK, McD's, WH, medium-rare. Prefer to order something else. Imagine a med-rare White Castle...can you say call 911...anyway

thanks for all the great posts...how about steak tartare?? thoughts?
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/03 14:48:40 (permalink)
    Mmmmm, steak tartare. I love that.

You can't really order a fastfood burger rare. They're too thin. It's cooked or not cooked.

I agree about trying to order a medium-rare burger in a restaurant and letting them know if it's been overcooked in the past. I can't stand overcooked burgers.

At home I'll cook them bloody rare. Yum yum. Steaks rare too. But I'm not going to put the onus on a restaurant to do it.
    cyclops
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/05 19:42:51 (permalink)
    couple opinions

If the burger meat is ground on the restaurant premise and kept cold, order it as rare as you want.
    The chances of getting sick are pretty much nill. The media has hyped it up way worse than it is.
    Simple research on the net will give you all the REAL information you need. Grind your own burger and eat it the way you want and STOP STOP STOP worrying. Same goes with eggs, etc.

A poster said a big truth, if the meat is fatty enough 20-25%, even a well done will be juicy and flavorful. Just be sure to never ever press the cooking patty.
    cyclops
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/05 19:44:56 (permalink)
    PS:
    If you go to a restaurant and they insist on cooking it medium or more, they are not buying quality burger. PERIOD. Leave and stop patronizing. Food nazi's have got to go.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/05 21:02:14 (permalink)
    I don't eat many burgers out ... turns out the places I do, take a lot of pride in their meat (and the source of their meat) ... most grind their own.

I feel confident going rare (as always as crispy as possible on the outside) ... but I find the burger needs to be cooked a little more in order to hold together through the eating process.

I concur that places that insist on cooking their burgers too much are not sure of the quality of their offering and are probably wise.

At home, Kobe-style frozen patties on the rare side, on a hearty bun.

Boss 302
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Rare or Well done? 2005/11/06 18:59:37 (permalink)
    It's gotta be well done for me.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1