Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bcory
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
2007/02/23 12:29:57 (permalink)

Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C

lol just what the Taco Bell chain needs- more good PR

"NEW YORK - News video showing about a dozen rats running around a KFC-Taco Bell restaurant in Greenwich Village was widely disseminated Friday on TV stations and the Internet.

News crews flocked to the scene, and onlookers gave a play-by-play as the rodents moved about. When one rat came close to the window, a person on the sidewalk said: "He's coming for his close-up."

videos and pics here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070223/ap_on_re_us/restaurant_rats_19

46 Replies Related Threads

xannie_01
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 12:30:55 (permalink)
    bet those rats taste better than the chicken.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 12:41:21 (permalink)
    RAts? In a NY restaurant? I don't believe it.

You could set up a camera in ANY restaurant in NY and find the same thing. They say there are more rats than people in NY City.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 12:47:07 (permalink)
    Cool! So you get to view and pick your meal before it's cooked??
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 12:47:32 (permalink)
    I saw it on CNN and they had video of many many rats running around in the restaurant. It looked like a horror movie.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 12:59:01 (permalink)
    Lets not forget this is February Sweeps Month, where we get all the over-the-top stories on TV.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 12:59:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

RAts? In a NY restaurant? I don't believe it.

You could set up a camera in ANY restaurant in NY and find the same thing.

That is so not true...

Usually, if a kitchen has cockroaches there aren't any rats!
    Ashphalt
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 13:01:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by David_NYC

Lets not forget this is February Sweeps Month, where we get all the over-the-top stories on TV.

I'll bet it was just a rehearsal for an Off-Broadway version of "Muppets Take Manhattan."
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 13:02:53 (permalink)
    Problem could be easily solved.. Hire an ethnic butcher trained in the art of filleting rats. Serve this new delicasy breaded and fried. Tenderloin la Rat. Makes perfect sense, there's an abundance of them, thus keeping food costs low! (And when the cockroaches return, batter and fry them up pawning them off as cycadias)..

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 13:17:19 (permalink)
    I worked with a woman who used to always tell me I was an idiot for eating food made at a deli across 7th ave. She said it was a disgusting place, and all she would buy there was her morning cup of yogurt. One evening as I headed home, the deli was already closed (their business was just breakfast and lunch) and through the window I saw the rat catching cat that is present in every such establishment was sleeping in the box of plastic spoons my squeamish co-worker used to eat her yogurt. I never told her about this, but her complaints about my impure food never bothered me as much after this episode.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 13:26:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Problem could be easily solved.. Hire an ethnic butcher trained in the art of filleting rats. Serve this new delicasy breaded and fried. Tenderloin la Rat. Makes perfect sense, there's an abundance of them, thus keeping food costs low! (And when the cockroaches return, batter and fry them up pawning them off as cycadias)..

" />
    Ashphalt
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 13:38:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

I worked with a woman who used to always tell me I was an idiot for eating food made at a deli across 7th ave. She said it was a disgusting place, and all she would buy there was her morning cup of yogurt. One evening as I headed home, the deli was already closed (their business was just breakfast and lunch) and through the window I saw the rat catching cat that is present in every such establishment was sleeping in the box of plastic spoons my squeamish co-worker used to eat her yogurt. I never told her about this, but her complaints about my impure food never bothered me as much after this episode.

Another NYC "rule" I used to hear: never shop at a deli or a fish market that doesn't have a cat.

I used to like walking by my local fish market on Sunday afternoons when it was closed and kitty was sprawled out in the window display case, usually in front of a sign that read "$5.99 / lb."
    bcory
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 13:47:17 (permalink)
    Maybe taco bell should have Ratatoui on the menu...
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 14:21:25 (permalink)
    quote:

Reminds me of a book I read by the title of "King Rat"

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    David_NYC
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 14:23:57 (permalink)
    After looking at local TV stations' coverage of the story, I got the exact address off the Taco Bell web site store locator. It is 331 6th Avenue in Manhattan. Right in front of that store is the biggest capacity subway station in the city, which runs very deep. It is a double decker station with 4 tracks on each level, for a total of 8 tracks running right in front of the restaurant. The subways are notorius for rats, and my guess is the rats are getting in through the basement from the subway tunnels. Running through there is the A, B, C, D, E, F, and V trains.

Someone should get after the MTA to fix cracks in the subway walls as well.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 14:25:56 (permalink)
    quote:

Reminds me of a book I read by the title of "King Rat" I believe the author was James Clavell

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 14:44:16 (permalink)
    quote:

After looking at local TV stations' coverage of the story, I got the exact address off the Taco Bell web site store locator. It is 331 6th Avenue in Manhattan. Right in front of that store is the biggest capacity subway station in the city, which runs very deep. It is a double decker station with 4 tracks on each level, for a total of 8 tracks running right in front of the restaurant. The subways are notorius for rats, and my guess is the rats are getting in through the basement from the subway tunnels. Running through there is the A, B, C, D, E, F, and V trains.

Several years back I was downtown and there was a water main break and water was pouring down into the subway station near Canal street. Rats were coming up like the pied piper was in town. It was creepy!

By the way...David...do you post at the RMAS newsgroup?
    David_NYC
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 14:53:47 (permalink)
    No, I don't, Tony. I'm not even familiar with it or its title (I suppose RMAS is an acronym).
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 15:15:50 (permalink)
    quote:

No, I don't, Tony. I'm not even familiar with it or its title (I suppose RMAS is an acronym).

Sorry...it is a newsgroup for fans of Bruce Springsteen (rec.music.artists.springsteen) that I read now and again and there is a David NYC who posts their regularly.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3006
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 15:22:51 (permalink)
    Backstreet regular and a 74 concert veteran...
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 16:16:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Backstreet regular and a 74 concert veteran...

I see...so you have good taste in web sites and music!!
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 16:30:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:

Reminds me of a book I read by the title of "King Rat"

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

It's a pretty good movie as well. If I remember correctly George Segal played the lead.
    It was just on AMC, TCM, or some set of initials. Wished I'd have watched it again now.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 16:46:46 (permalink)
    As I recall, James Clavell was the author of King Rat??

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6460
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 16:52:49 (permalink)
    DD -

I ain't gonna say a word
    Ashphalt
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 17:28:30 (permalink)
    quote:

This is going back some years so I doubt if it's still the case, but there was a Dunkin Donuts on the uptown platform of either the 7th or 8th Avenue lines at 34th Street. It always smelled like donuts. Turned out it was the bakery for most of the downtown/midtown DDs.

I didn't eat DD in the City.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 18:22:08 (permalink)
    Mr bcory: Do not be angry. It is not your thread even though you started it. I do not necessary agree or disagree with the post but to being angry does not work.

If this thread or any other gets out of hand, believe me, it will be dealt with.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 18:27:11 (permalink)
    OK, rat really isn't to bad, especially if yor hungry and want a hot meal many cultures consume rat on a regular basis, although historically rat eaters lived in an agrarian society.

But the thing I don't get is why in god's name would anyone want to have KFC delivered, hell it is bad enough at the restaurant, let alone thinking about waiting for it to be delivered, then you would have to tip the person who delivered it. So not only would you be paying for crap, you would be paying the person who is shoveling s*** for you to eat.

Yes it was by James Clavell, I enjoy his work. Yes George Segal was the star, and I enjoy the movie everytime I watch it. And yes the BOSS is the boss.
    David_NYC
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 20:31:19 (permalink)
    CCJPO, in Manhattan most coffee shops/chicken/taco/pizza/Chinese restaurants deliver. Deliveries are by foot or bicycle and rarely by motor vehicle. Young two couple families where both work get home exhausted and don't want to cook. A lot of people working in businesses also work through lunch hour. So, they pick up the phone and call for food. Don't know if they still do it, but even McDonalds had a delivery promotion going on a few years ago.

But I have to agree with you that there are better places than KFC to order chicken from. But people do it. With all the mom and pop pizza joints in this town, there are even Domino's franchises that deliver. I guess some people are swayed by their marketing, or just happen to like some of the chains' signature dishes. But, I have to shake my head in disbelief, too.

By the way, NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams broadcast the rat footage at about 6:51 PM EST tonight, prime dinner time. They know that the restaurant sits atop a huge subway station, but didn't say a word about it. They may be planning to send a camera crew down there to the subway station tonight to get even more rat footage.
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 20:37:58 (permalink)
    i saw that raw footage...
    are you sure they weren't raised in texas?
    those were some BIG rats!
    David_NYC
    RE: Rats run wild in KFC-Taco Bell in N.Y.C 2007/02/23 20:55:47 (permalink)
    I regularly see rats that size in the West 4th Street subway station, diectly underneath the KFC/Taco Bell. They live off garbage, either by gnawing their way into plastic garbage bags, or eating food people drop into onto the tracks, onto the sidewalks, etc. I personally think those rats were born in this town.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1