Raw Chicken or Just the Way they are raised?

Author
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
2005/09/20 07:01:07 (permalink)

Raw Chicken or Just the Way they are raised?

Hello All,
I wonder if it is just me or has anyone else come upon this? I have ordered chicken at a number of places, some fast food and some just local restaurants, and found that the chicken seems a tad too pink in the middle. Not bloody, but too pink for my taste. After sending it back and getting back pretty much the same looking pinkness, I have been informed that it is the way the poultry industry is harvesting younger birds. I live in an area that raises and processes turkeys, and have not found a similiar problems with those birds. Has anyone else noticed the change in the color of chicken meat, and also there seems to be much more fat on the birds?
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

4 Replies Related Threads

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3173
    RE: Raw Chicken or Just the Way they are raised? 2005/09/20 07:21:44 (permalink)
    I was told that if you see what looks like a blood drop near the joints it means that that chicken has been frozen. A fresh chicken will never have that.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Raw Chicken or Just the Way they are raised? 2005/09/20 08:54:10 (permalink)
    We had an outbreak of salmonella (sp) here at our City Club among a group of 5th graders who were taking a manners class. It has been traced to the chicken that the cook grilled about 75% done on the grill and then put into the oven on a low temp. to finish cooking. He let the chicken set out for a few minutes while he cooked the vegetables to go with it .
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Raw Chicken or Just the Way they are raised? 2005/09/20 11:35:16 (permalink)
    I don't know fieldthistle, I'm inclined to agree with your first instinct that the Chicken isn't fully cooked.

If there is pink in the meat as a result from a blood droplet, that's one thing, but if your meat is pink and doesn't flake, or is difficult to remove off the bone, it isn't fully cooked.
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Raw Chicken or Just the Way they are raised? 2005/09/20 16:09:34 (permalink)
    When I was doing beer can chicken in the restaurant I had several folks send it back because they thought it was undercooked. They didn't understand that chicken could be juicy and pink while still being done.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1