Raw Milk ...

Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4593
2010/11/15 12:42:16 (permalink)

Raw Milk ...

I've never had it.  There is a dairy a couple miles from here that has a sign out saying they feature it.  I stopped by on Saturday, but was there before they opened. 

Should I try again ???

18 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/15 13:43:51 (permalink)
    I am guessing you might be talking about Cook Farm in Hadley ( http://www.cookfarm.com/ ) which is listed on this website: http://www.realmilk.com/where3.html#ma
    This website probably has a lot of info on raw milk: http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/15 13:53:47 (permalink)
    6star

I am guessing you might be talking about Cook Farm in Hadley ( http://www.cookfarm.com/ ) which is listed on this website: http://www.realmilk.com/where3.html#ma
    This website probably has a lot of info on raw milk: http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/

You are CORRECT !!!
    I'll check out the site.
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2064
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/15 14:01:41 (permalink)
    In many areas (states) it is illegal to sale raw milk.  There is a reason.  ... Some have a loophole exempting persons that own their own cows to drink their own milk.  Thus, some cooperatives have started selling to milk to their members only (since they are part owners) and/or allow farms to sell direct to the consumer most times labeled as animal food or for cheese making. ... This milk is not inspected.

I've dranked raw milk when growing up on the farm (40 years ago), but don't really remember a difference in  taste.    ... If you start drinking raw milk, I suggest you start slow.  Give your system a chance to get use to the milk.    ...   The milk is raw, meaning the pathogens (?? or what ever) have not been killed as in pasteurized milk. (yes, I know the difference between sterilized & pasteurized.)  ... And strain the hair & blood out of the milk before drinking. If it hasn't already been done!
    post edited by edwmax - 2010/11/15 14:11:19
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7767
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/15 15:33:12 (permalink)
    *thud*
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/15 23:38:17 (permalink)
    Raw milk here is big time. In fact you can get raw milk pasteurizers for home use.
    The milk is cheap.
    Just one example more out there

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___The_Home_Dairy___Other_Supplies___Home_Milk_Pasteurizers___P3000?Args=

edwmax
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/16 04:23:08 (permalink)
    If the milk is pasteurized, it is not RAW any more.   ...Other than being homogenized & water added and usually the heavy cream removed there would be no difference from "store bought" milk.

Raw Milk laws by State:  http://www.realmilk.com/milk-laws-1.html  .... Not legal in Georgia.
    post edited by edwmax - 2010/11/16 04:48:10
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/16 05:58:30 (permalink)
    Curbside Grill:  Thanks for the great Lehman's site.  Had never heard of them.
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/16 11:02:54 (permalink)
    edwmax   you did not get it. There are many people here that buy raw milk for the cost. Pasteurize it at home and a whole lot cheaper than store bought. Young families with children and elderly people on fixed income. Was at a local Wally World last week. Milk $3.89/Gal.   can get raw milk for $1.50-1.75/Gal. all day long. But not for the faint of heart can take you places to get a raw milk Milk Shake.

MellowRoast   been getting there catalogs for  since I can remember. Also try
    http://www9.mailordercentral.com/cumberlandgeneral/
    They use to be here in TN. Up by Crossville.  They sold everything and  operated in Ga. now.

Oh forgot. sitting around for the Goats Milk To cool after pasteurization. Have 32 Gal's chilling at this point. Cheese tomorrow.
    Been on Goats milk all of my life. Lactose Intolerance.
    Now my wife will kill a gal. of milk(cow) in a day. Old Farm Girl from PA
    post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/11/16 11:52:08
    cementhead
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 124
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/16 21:40:37 (permalink)
    Why would you need to strain hair and blood out of milk? No reason for it to be in milk from an ordinary dairy farm,raw or not. We've been using raw milk for at least 7 or 8 years now and have never had any problems, and I think it tastes better. Pay $2.50/gallon and it's tested weekly for safety.
    edwmax
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/17 05:27:40 (permalink)
    Curbside Grill

edwmax   you did not get it. There are many people here that buy raw milk for the cost. Pasteurize it at home and a whole lot cheaper than store bought. Young families with children and elderly people on fixed income. Was at a local Wally World last week. Milk $3.89/Gal.   can get raw milk for $1.50-1.75/Gal. all day long. But not for the faint of heart can take you places to get a raw milk Milk Shake.

MellowRoast   been getting there catalogs for  since I can remember. Also try
    http://www9.mailordercentral.com/cumberlandgeneral/
    They use to be here in TN. Up by Crossville.  They sold everything and  operated in Ga. now.

Oh forgot. sitting around for the Goats Milk To cool after pasteurization. Have 32 Gal's chilling at this point. Cheese tomorrow.
    Been on Goats milk all of my life. Lactose Intolerance.
    Now my wife will kill a gal. of milk(cow) in a day. Old Farm Girl from PA

I do get it! ... If you are lucky enough to live near a dairy, ... can buy raw milk at that price, ... and understand possible safety concerns of using "raw" milk.   Otherwise, buying raw milk from a health food store, the price is more than pasteurized milk.
    This thread was about drinking "RAW" Milk, not making your own pasteurized milk!
    edwmax
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/17 05:40:12 (permalink)
    cementhead

Why would you need to strain hair and blood out of milk? No reason for it to be in milk from an ordinary dairy farm,raw or not. We've been using raw milk for at least 7 or 8 years now and have never had any problems, and I think it tastes better. Pay $2.50/gallon and it's tested weekly for safety.

Hair can get into the milk, even with the most careful preparations for milking.  And, it is not unusual for blood to be expressed from a live healthy animal during milking. ... They do have blood in their veins and circulating in the mammaries.  ... I know, I've seen it in the filters.     Most dairy farms filter the milk before it is stored in the bulk cold tank.
    cementhead
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 124
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/17 09:05:21 (permalink)
    The farm we buy from must filter it because we've never had any problems. I know some people say raw milk is healthier because pasteurization kills beneficial bacteria.I buy it because it's convenient and cheaper by about $1.50/gallon.My family can easily go through a gallon per day so it adds up.
    bdtn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/17 10:03:06 (permalink)
    made ahalf #of butter from raw cream then pasturized the milk because the mozzarella i was making is for my friend who is 80 and has cancer just to be safe. you heat the milk to 140 for 30 min .then cool to 95 then add renet and let sit 10-20 min cut the curd then heat to 105  drain the whey and microwave 60 seconds then strech re mic to keep the curd hot to strech then drop in ice water its done.it took less than 1 hour start to finish. my raw cows milk is 2.00-2.50 and the gats milk is 7.00 a gallon from 5 or 6 different farms in etheridge
    amish. that is just 8-10 miles north of laranceburg so curbside grill could you let me know wher you get your goats milk from. raw milk is great for yogurt to. i cant ever make good chesse from store milk and the organic is worse as it is ultra pastuized and just cooked to death.

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7767
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/17 10:11:28 (permalink)
    It's illegal in California but so is the selling of wood burning fireplaces.

Can't even buy them with a prescription from your doctor.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1269
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/17 23:09:06 (permalink)
    In an issue of Consumer Reports a couple of decades ago, I recall reading a report where "certified" raw milk (don't remember who does the certifying) has less bacteria in it than pasteurized.

Bart
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/17 23:14:49 (permalink)
    We used to get raw milk from friends in NC who had a farm and a few milk cows mixed in with their beef cows. It was the only milk I would drink and I hated the taste of milk.. still do. It definitely tasted different. Could of had something to do with the 4 or 5 inches of cream that was on the top of every gallon. Mrs Ramsey would strain it thru a section of cheesecloth but nothing else. She taught us how to make butter (along with pie crusts and biscuits made with lard rendered from their hogs). I do know that they were very clean.
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/18 04:24:15 (permalink)
    bdtn

made ahalf #of butter from raw cream then pasturized the milk because the mozzarella i was making is for my friend who is 80 and has cancer just to be safe. you heat the milk to 140 for 30 min .then cool to 95 then add renet and let sit 10-20 min cut the curd then heat to 105  drain the whey and microwave 60 seconds then strech re mic to keep the curd hot to strech then drop in ice water its done.it took less than 1 hour start to finish. my raw cows milk is 2.00-2.50 and the gats milk is 7.00 a gallon from 5 or 6 different farms in etheridge
    amish. that is just 8-10 miles north of laranceburg so curbside grill could you let me know wher you get your goats milk from. raw milk is great for yogurt to. i cant ever make good chesse from store milk and the organic is worse as it is ultra pastuized and just cooked to death.

First off I am out of town,way out of town,way out of state. On a Dairy Goat farm to do about 12 days of work here to learn herd management and some cheesemaking. I do not buy Raw goats milk. I might have one glass of Goat milk a year. I am not a big Milk drinker ,non dairy creamer in my coffee if I use it.  But  give me a good Goat  cheese-that is another story. But when I get home can get with you on Amish places to go. Most are no more than 5-7 miles from the house.  Have you tryed the Amish Butter from Amish Center Store. They sell Amish Breads and Goods.

If anybody from Memphis to Nashville, and Chattanooga Likes or enjoys a good Goat Cheese they are at farmers markets on weekends or a peaceful few days in the middle of nowhere try here. About 35 miles from me and bought many a cheese log from them

http://www.bonniebluefarm.com/

post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/11/18 04:26:00
    bdtn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:Raw Milk ... 2010/11/18 10:02:45 (permalink)
    thats what i use my milk for chever goat cheese and feta thougt you had a better connectionfor goats milk .the cows milk i find no problem . bb has one nice cave(bomb shelter) for there cheese.thanks
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1