Hot!Raw Oysters anyone?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
KonaErnie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 356
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2009/10/27 20:21:54 (permalink)
FDA to ban sale of raw oysters from Gulf of Mexico

NEW ORLEANS – "Federal officials plan to ban sales of raw oysters harvested from the Gulf of Mexico unless the shellfish are treated to destroy potentially deadly bacteria — a requirement that opponents say could deprive diners of a delicacy cherished for generations."
beijinger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 180
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2009/10/27 23:27:58 (permalink)
Thanks Mland i had never heard of it but it became my regular breakfast item at Boss Tweed's up until i went To China to work.
      What a miracle i been posting reading long enough to see seafarer be wrong about something lol.
oDey in LA
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2009/12/30 19:25:00 (permalink)
seafarer john

To me, after nearly 80 years of eating European, East, and Gulf Coast oysters, I find the Pacific Coast oysters I have sampled to have an alien metalic ( maybe coppery) taste. The ones I've had have been fat and plump and briny - but there's that background  unusual taste that i just can't seem to learn to love.

Cheers, John  

I have read that zinc is the metal......and it is supposedly why Oysters are considered to be an aphrodisiac. I always thought that claim was mostly a marketing gimmick but just to make sure I always eat several dozen just to make sure I have all options covered..

I plan on sliding copious amounts down at the Festival in NOLA late March. Lucky for me, my lovely spousal unit (CinCHouse...Commander in Chief House) loves Oysters as well...

I am one lucky Old Dog.   

See yall (all yall) in NOLA
oDey in LA
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2009/12/30 19:31:08 (permalink)
KonaErnie

FDA to ban sale of raw oysters from Gulf of Mexico

NEW ORLEANS – "Federal officials plan to ban sales of raw oysters harvested from the Gulf of Mexico unless the shellfish are treated to destroy potentially deadly bacteria — a requirement that opponents say could deprive diners of a delicacy cherished for generations."

That FDA proposal has since been lifted (thank goodness).

One should always be cautious when consuming raw oysters and most likely the safest thing would be to always cook but I try to pick where I consume and hope for the best. The folks in LA contend that very hot TABASCO sauce will help ward off the evil bugs. I also think a couple of strong Margaritas will help as well. Throw in some ice cold Abita Beer for good measure and I think you will be AOK.

baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 758
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2009/12/30 22:11:13 (permalink)
We had a couple of rounds of raw oysters during Christmas that came from the Gulf and they were great.  We did these as Oyster Shooters that had Vodka in the bottom of the shot glass and extra spicy sauce on top.

And I'm about to get some more of them for this weekend. 
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2009/12/31 11:32:32 (permalink)
We were recently introduced to an oyster new to us, it is a small thin shelled oyster from New Brunswick, Canada called St Simeon. They are delicious little guys - a bit briny, sweet and firm. 

I note that a number of our friends here on Roadfood like their raw oysters accompanied by a cocktail sauce. I like a cocktail sauce on my shrimp, but never on an oyster. If they are really really fresh, just plain slurped right off the shell is fine, otherwise we like a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of black pepper, or a mignonette sauce ( finely diced shallots, vinegar, and ground black pepper).

Cheers, John  

Phishmonger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 217
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2009/12/31 12:35:37 (permalink)
Just finished a half dozen that a friend brought me from Maine. These are the very best I've ever tasted. The flavor and size (large) are unbeatable. These are Glidden Point Oysters, harvested fresh from the cold waters of the Damariscotta River by the oyster farm located there. When I visit the Bothbay region twice a year, I always find my way to the Lobster Wharf in Boothbay Harbor on Saturday nites, where for "A Buck a Shuck" I enjoy as many as I can eat. Wish I was there right now.Happy New Year to all!
baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 758
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2010/01/11 21:54:25 (permalink)
I note that a number of our friends here on Roadfood like their raw oysters accompanied by a cocktail sauce. I like a cocktail sauce on my shrimp, but never on an oyster. If they are really really fresh, just plain slurped right off the shell is fine, otherwise we like a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of black pepper, or a mignonette sauce ( finely diced shallots, vinegar, and ground black pepper). Cheers, John

I also prefer oysters and shrimp without any condiments abut I'm outnumbered by my co-eaters - they like all the whistles and bells including crackers with the oysters ??  And lots of hot sauce.  I'm not much on condiments- and if I do use them it's sparingly - I like to taste the actual food. 

russ2304
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 261
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2010/01/12 15:34:24 (permalink)
Over Xmas holiday in NOLA had some of the most delicious oysters ever----Acme-of course------------and right next door the best during trip---Bourbon House----------eaten oysters from all over the globe and these had to be some of the best plus in NOLA you can't beat the price and just about everyone gives a Bakers Dozen-----------to all heading down in March----indulge!

Russ
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2010/01/18 12:34:52 (permalink)
baileysoriginal

I note that a number of our friends here on Roadfood like their raw oysters accompanied by a cocktail sauce. I like a cocktail sauce on my shrimp, but never on an oyster. If they are really really fresh, just plain slurped right off the shell is fine, otherwise we like a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of black pepper, or a mignonette sauce ( finely diced shallots, vinegar, and ground black pepper). Cheers, John

I also prefer oysters and shrimp without any condiments abut I'm outnumbered by my co-eaters - they like all the whistles and bells including crackers with the oysters ??  And lots of hot sauce.  I'm not much on condiments- and if I do use them it's sparingly - I like to taste the actual food. 

Ice cold and slurped right off the shell.  The brine is seasoning enough for me.  Period.

AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2010/01/18 14:12:44 (permalink)
I love raw oysters but it's hard to get good ones around here.  I let them sit in my mouth for a moment before chewing, because hells bells if you swallow a rancid one  it's in your stomach before you know it!  This happened to me once when I swallowed one without chewing and I knew instantly from the taste it my mouth that is was off.  I didn't get sick, but I am wary of the raw oysters at restaurants around here.

Andrea
zydecocruiser
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2010/03/20 01:21:13 (permalink)
oDey in LA

seafarer john

To me, after nearly 80 years of eating European, East, and Gulf Coast oysters, I find the Pacific Coast oysters I have sampled to have an alien metalic ( maybe coppery) taste. The ones I've had have been fat and plump and briny - but there's that background  unusual taste that i just can't seem to learn to love.

Cheers, John  

I have read that zinc is the metal......and it is supposedly why Oysters are considered to be an aphrodisiac. I always thought that claim was mostly a marketing gimmick but just to make sure I always eat several dozen just to make sure I have all options covered..

I plan on sliding copious amounts down at the Festival in NOLA late March. Lucky for me, my lovely spousal unit (CinCHouse...Commander in Chief House) loves Oysters as well...

I am one lucky Old Dog.   

See yall (all yall) in NOLA

If you get a chance, maybe try Casemento's for some great oysters in NOLA.

I love Lucky Dog's, too, but I think that is a different forum.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15281
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2012/07/13 20:13:23 (permalink)
We used to eat at the TODAI on either Harbor or Beach Blvd a short distance south of the 405 . The buffet had a variety of sushi and other Asian foods that were a real treat. Always had Mussels, and now and then Oysters. But shrimp in various forms made a fine meal. It has been a decade since we were there...Our rae oysters now come from the Gulf Coast when we get there...and the fried oysters are on the buffet at the Moonlite BBQ each friday nite. well worth a trip to Owensboro, KY.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10270
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2012/07/13 22:24:31 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut
Is this not a clam area?

Nope! No Clams. Just the WORLD's Best Oysters!!!!
(Also, shrimp, grouper, snapper and mullet!)
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 381
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2012/07/14 10:26:31 (permalink)
Headed for NOLA in a couple of weeks and I can't wait to get to the Acme Oyster House for some oysters on the half shell. That and their Pecan cobbler will make the trip for me.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2012/07/14 10:34:49 (permalink)
I cannot handle raw oysters.  I don't mind them so much if they're breaded, just not raw.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6837
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2012/07/14 10:39:36 (permalink)
I could easily do 2 dz. at Acme!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2012/07/14 17:54:44 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
Headed for NOLA in a couple of weeks and I can't wait to get to the Acme Oyster House for some oysters on the half shell. That and their Pecan cobbler will make the trip for me.

Depending on the route you're taking, you could stop in Mobile at Wentzells Oyster Bar for some to tide you over until you get to NOLA. Be sure to go to the Original location in downtown Mobile.
http://www.wintzellsoysterhouse.com/index.php
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2012/07/14 18:25:01 (permalink)
Foodbme

Root-Beer Man

Depending on the route you're taking, you could stop in Mobile at Wentzells Oyster Bar for some to tide you over until you get to NOLA. Be sure to go to the Original location in downtown Mobile.
http://www.wintzellsoysterhouse.com/index.php

We'll likely head over through Mississippi and spend a day in Gulfport. That means lunch or dinner at the White Cap for me. Hopefully they'll have some on the menu. Or I can just gorge on fried food to tide me over.
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2012/07/21 16:40:37 (permalink)
Well, looks like I will get the chance to try Wentzell's. We added a day in Mobile to our trip (and then we'll head north to Decatur and Big Bob Gibsons!). Can't wait to try their seafood and oysters!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13503
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2012/07/21 16:57:01 (permalink)
Personally I really enjoy raw oysters.  I have been to the original in Mobile many times.  I always try to go at happy hour.  A half dozen and a beer was $5.00.  Many of us roadfooders have been there.  It was a easy walk from my Marriott hotel which was about six blocks away.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2012/07/22 03:54:33 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
Well, looks like I will get the chance to try Wentzell's. We added a day in Mobile to our trip (and then we'll head north to Decatur and Big Bob Gibsons!). Can't wait to try their seafood and oysters!

I can only vouch for the original location downtown. Don't know anything about the franchise locations
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2012/07/23 17:58:46 (permalink)
http://www.huntsoysterbar.com/

The best, although Indian Pass oysters are good also (they are about 50 miles east).  This place is not to be confused with Hunt's in Dothan, AL.,  BTW... 
krafahaj
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2012/09/04 00:48:06 (permalink)
hello, Make sure they are in season. In North America (where I think you're located) oysters are considered in season during months that have an "r" in them (so they're out of season May through the end of August) -- two reasons -- first, summer is the spawning season, and the oysters are generally leaner and don't taste very good, and second, the warmer waters of summer are perfect to encourage any bacterial growth in the water and therefore in the oysters themselves.thanks
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2012/09/04 01:35:53 (permalink)
krafahaj
hello, Make sure they are in season. In North America (where I think you're located) oysters are considered in season during months that have an "r" in them (so they're out of season May through the end of August) -- two reasons -- first, summer is the spawning season, and the oysters are generally leaner and don't taste very good, and second, the warmer waters of summer are perfect to encourage any bacterial growth in the water and therefore in the oysters themselves.thanks

While caution should always be taken when eaten anytime of the year, this premise is basically a Myth in todays world. 95% of all oysters are sustainably farmed and harvested eliminating some of the causes of tainted oysters. Todays modern methods of refrigeration deep oysters from "Spoiling". Only live oysters should be eaten. Fresh oysters must be alive just before consumption or cooking. There is only one criterion: the oyster must be capable of tightly closing its shell. Open oysters should be tapped on the shell; a live oyster will close up and is safe to eat. Oysters which are open and unresponsive are dead and must be discarded. Proper harvesting and refrigeration are the keys to good oysters.
The people most vunerable to a bacteria called Vibrio vulnificus found in oysters and seawater during warm months that can cause serious illness or death if consumed are people with liver disease or other immune disorders.
3 years ago, FL approved the irradiation of oysters that reduces the amount of harmful bacteria without damaging their flavor and appearance of the oysters. The oysters are prepackaged on pallets that are treated with a controlled amount of radiation for a very short time.
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1312
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2012/09/18 11:00:25 (permalink)
Foodbme
3 years ago, FL approved the irradiation of oysters that reduces the amount of harmful bacteria without damaging their flavor and appearance of the oysters. The oysters are prepackaged on pallets that are treated with a controlled amount of radiation for a very short time.

It should be noted that some people eating such oysters have been known to grow shells and produce pearls. Nobody has figured out how to use these abilities to fight crime, however.

Bart
badbyron722
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2013/01/06 18:04:32 (permalink)
Lived in Florida many years,but the tastiest oysters I ever had were in New Orleans.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2013/01/07 00:35:37 (permalink)
badbyron722
Lived in Florida many years,but the tastiest oysters I ever had were in New Orleans.

Then you must have never had Apalachicola Oysters while in FL.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4023
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2013/01/07 01:45:11 (permalink)
The location in Fairhope (Point Clear) is really good. My waistline vouches for them!
Foodbme

Root-Beer Man

I can only vouch for the original location downtown. Don't know anything about the franchise locations

EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4023
Re:Raw Oysters anyone? 2013/01/07 01:47:48 (permalink)
The last time I was in AL(2010, after Deep Horizon) I searched from Ocean Beach through Mobile and and the only place people were getting them from was Apalachicola. I swore that the next time that I go there I will make a trip down to try the Apalachicola oysters. I have heard good things about them.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1