Ray's Real Pizza - Hazlet NJ?

Author
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1595
2008/12/03 09:08:34 (permalink)

Ray's Real Pizza - Hazlet NJ?

Anyone ever tried this place in it's new location in NJ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/02/nyregion/02rays.html

5 Replies Related Threads

ken8038
    RE: Ray's Real Pizza - Hazlet NJ? 2008/12/09 13:47:53 (permalink)
    Never Mind, I did my own research. I had off Friday so I took a day ride down to Monmouth and Ocean Counties (I may write up a trip report even though it was only 3 food stops and no pics).

I couldn't find anything on the internet about Ray's (no web site) and I wasn't sure if it was an eat-in or just a take out place so I called ahead and ordered a 1/2 sausaage 1/2 plain cheese pizza to go.

I had one slice of each in the car. The sausage half was excellent, good quality sausage and nice slightly crispy crust. The plain cheese half wasn't nearly as good, this was confirmed by my wife when she had her slices that night. The crust was just average and the sauce and chesse was fine but not special. I don't know how that could be, but that's the way it was.

Anyway it's a nice roadside type place, I'm sure I'd stop in again and this time eat in, and see which half of the pizza is the Real Ray's Pizza. The sausage half was easily worth a return trip.

nysharks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Ray's Real Pizza - Hazlet NJ? 2008/12/09 14:04:09 (permalink)
    I was at Ray's this past Sunday and had a slice of their cheese and one of their Ray's Special which included sausage, peppers, onions, and pepperoni. I thought the pizza was quite good and better than most. The crust was thin and firm but not crispy. The cheese pizza was slightly salty. I would go back again if I was in the area but it is not in the same class as the coal oven pizzas like Grimaldi's and Totonno's.
    Londonmatt
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Ray's Real Pizza - Hazlet NJ? 2009/01/13 03:01:49 (permalink)
    I've never been there either, worth checking out. Less than 10 minutes north, is some really good Pizza, Sciurtino's Harbor Lights in South Amboy. A very solid tasty pie. They have a unique sweet sauce and they make their own sausage. The restaurant has a long history and used to be based in South Amboy. They also do some wonderful light calimari and roast pork sandwich. The pizza is certainly not on Difara's level in Brooklyn, or for that matter the Delorenzos of Trenton, but I certainly recommend it for all those who crave a good pie but can't make it to Brooklyn or Chambersburg.
    Dog Boss
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re:Ray's Real Pizza - Hazlet NJ? 2009/07/18 10:53:29 (permalink)
    Londonmatt

I've never been there either, worth checking out. Less than 10 minutes north, is some really good Pizza, Sciurtino's Harbor Lights in South Amboy. A very solid tasty pie. They have a unique sweet sauce and they make their own sausage. The restaurant has a long history and used to be based in South Amboy. They also do some wonderful light calimari and roast pork sandwich. The pizza is certainly not on Difara's level in Brooklyn, or for that matter the Delorenzos of Trenton, but I certainly recommend it for all those who crave a good pie but can't make it to Brooklyn or Chambersburg.

i need to correct you, long standing  PERTH AMBOY LOCATION, they were forced out by the town, theres a very big story there, that's another time. anyway......... nothing like when they were in perth amboy,  been to the south amboy location 6 different times, and i'm sorry, two VERY DIFFERENT WORLDS.  south amboy needs to find the the lost recipe.  from what i've heard thru the grape vine is this: after the long battle with the city of perth amboy and moving over to south amboy, i heard  a family member bought out the other(cousins i think). then after the remaing family sold out completely. i'm not 100%, but this is what,  i have heard on the street's.  sorry, but this is one place lost and not returning.

ken8038
    Re:Ray's Real Pizza - Hazlet NJ? 2009/07/24 16:39:52 (permalink)
    <<nothing like when they were in perth amboy,  been to the south amboy location 6 different times, and i'm sorry, two VERY DIFFERENT WORLDS. >>

I agree with Dog Boss. I only went to the Perth Amboy location of Sciortino's once and I loved it. Not only was it one of the best pizzas I ever had in NJ, but I loved the fact that the place seemed to be unchanged in 50 years. Like a step back in time.

We did go the the Harbor Lights location, and the pizza was OK, but nothing like the original. We haven't been back.  
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1