Reading Terminal Market open Sundays

Author
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
2006/10/15 05:48:55 (permalink)

Reading Terminal Market open Sundays

Next week I'll be traveling thru Philly and did a coursory check on the Reading Terminal Market and noticed that today they are starting to open on Sundays as a trial basis. This is good news to all visiting this area, I would doubt that the Amish vendors will be open though. I was looking for exact driving directions and their web site www.readingterminalmarket.org was very informative. Chow Jim

13 Replies Related Threads

John from Pa.
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Reading Terminal Market open Sundays 2006/10/16 21:09:55 (permalink)
    If you go to the Philadelphia Inquirer website at Philly.com there's an article published today (Monday, October 16) titled "Sunday, they're eating it up at Reading Terminal Market". According to a sidebar in the paper, about half the merchants are open Sundays. The Amish merchants are open 8 am to 3 pm Wednesdays, 8 am to 5 pm Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays. The general market hours are 8 am to 6 pm Monday through Saturday, 9 am to 4 pm Sundays through December. They said the pace was not as hectic as Fridays & Saturdays, when sometimes you have to weave your way through the crowds. It's always a unique shopping or eating experience at the 113 year old Reading Terminal Market, close to the Convention Center and the Market East train station.
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Reading Terminal Market open Sundays 2006/10/16 21:18:40 (permalink)
    When I spoke to Paul Steinke, GM of TRTM, about having a speaker or guide for the Philly get-together last year, he mentioned a trial run of Sunday hours.

I'm glad they're trying it. Competitively, it makes sense.
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Reading Terminal Market open Sundays 2006/10/16 21:33:51 (permalink)
    There was talk earlier this year (including a mention on their web site) of a Jewish deli being added to the Terminal; one that was supposed to be partially owned by a relative of the Katz's Deli people. There is nothing about it at this point on their site, so I assume that deal fell through. I've long thought the only thing missing from the Terminal is a place with good corned beef and pastrami sandwiches.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Reading Terminal Market open Sundays 2006/10/17 01:12:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by phlmaestro

There was talk earlier this year (including a mention on their web site) of a Jewish deli being added to the Terminal; one that was supposed to be partially owned by a relative of the Katz's Deli people. There is nothing about it at this point on their site, so I assume that deal fell through. I've long thought the only thing missing from the Terminal is a place with good corned beef and pastrami sandwiches.

the WHOLE city of Philly is missing a place with good pastrami sandwiches!! (there's "okay" places like the "Kibbutz room", and some decent enough choices in the very far northeast suburbs, like "Ben and Irv's)

I was glad to hear that the Reading Terminal Market will finally be open on Sundays.
    I doubted that the Amish merchants would be there, as they are extremely religious. Even when we went to the Amish country in Lancaster, PA area a few months back, almost everything "Amish" related was closed on Sundays.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Reading Terminal Market open Sundays 2010/04/05 21:49:58 (permalink)
    This seemed as good as any place to ask...

...what's RoadFood-worthy within walking distance
    of the already RoadFood-worthy Reading Terminal Market
    in Philly? I'll be in town next week and wanted to get a
    better lay-of-the land. Thanks.

CheeseWit
    Re:Reading Terminal Market open Sundays 2010/04/05 22:36:14 (permalink)
    i95

This seemed as good as any place to ask...

...what's RoadFood-worthy within walking distance
    of the already RoadFood-worthy Reading Terminal Market
    in Philly? I'll be in town next week and wanted to get a
    better lay-of-the land. Thanks.

You didn't write me directly??? 

Kurt, you'll be in walking distance to Philadelphia's Chinatown. Many places to check out. Sang Kee Duck House is very good. I'm sure someone will jump in with their favorite Chinatown spot. You won't be all that far from Old City. Check out Campo's or Sonny's Famous for cheesesteaks and/or hoagies. Go to Franklin Fountain for a nostalgic ice cream parlor experience. Go to Shane's Candies for an equally nostalgic candy store experience.

By the way, when exactly will you be in town?
    i95
    Re:Reading Terminal Market open Sundays 2010/04/06 08:47:57 (permalink)
    CheeseWit You didn't write me directly??? 

What? Do you and wanderingjew go in together in purchasing your guilt in bulk? I just sent you a pm. That said, you da' man, Scott!
    CheeseWit
    Re:Reading Terminal Market open Sundays 2010/04/06 09:53:13 (permalink)
    It's that Jewish mother guilt instilled in us and that voice in our head saying, "You never call. You never visit."
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15234
    Re:Reading Terminal Market open Sundays 2010/04/06 10:44:14 (permalink)
    Scott-
       Great to read that famous voice of yours again. You know the only reason I-95 is slow to let us know when he travels, is that we all now have checked-gingham shirts like his famous orange entry, and hates to be upstaged in the fashion world. I am seriously thinking of recommending that the Glee Club abandon their Hawaiian Shirts in favor of the "Square Dancer Look" that draws so much attention from folks like Seafarer and I-95...The traveling nursing home group....

We hope to do a Crabcake stop later this year and will let you know where and when.
    AL
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Reading Terminal Market open Sundays 2010/04/06 11:02:51 (permalink)
    Al. If you are talking G&M sometime soon, Gail and I might be able to do it on our new twin  motorized aerodynamic wheelchairs.

Cheers, John 
    i95
    Re:Reading Terminal Market open Sundays 2010/04/06 11:10:44 (permalink)
    mayor al

You know the only reason I-95 is slow to let us know when he travels, is that we all now have checked-gingham shirts like his famous orange entry, and hates to be upstaged in the fashion world.

What??
    CheeseWit
    Re:Reading Terminal Market open Sundays 2010/04/06 11:55:22 (permalink)
    mayor al

Scott-
       Great to read that famous voice of yours again. You know the only reason I-95 is slow to let us know when he travels, is that we all now have checked-gingham shirts like his famous orange entry, and hates to be upstaged in the fashion world. I am seriously thinking of recommending that the Glee Club abandon their Hawaiian Shirts in favor of the "Square Dancer Look" that draws so much attention from folks like Seafarer and I-95...The traveling nursing home group....

We hope to do a Crabcake stop later this year and will let you know where and when.
    AL

Hi Al! I'm here almost everyday, just not posting much. Just when I built a decent sized wardrobe of Hawaiian Shirts, I have to start shopping for the Hee Haw look to fit in.

I'm responsible for 35 states and the District of Columbia for my company so I'm always on the road. And every year I'm scheduled somewhere distant from the Glee Club Meeting. One of these years it'll work out. 

A crabcake stop sounds great. You know I'm interested in that. I need to catch up with you, Paul, and our friend John from New Paltz.
    i95
    Re:Reading Terminal Market open Sundays 2010/04/12 09:30:26 (permalink)
    CheeseWitGo to Franklin Fountain for a nostalgic ice cream parlor experience. Go to Shane's Candies for an equally nostalgic candy store experience.

BTW, a couple of Philly updates here (which I'm presuming that CheeseWit already knows):
    • Shane Candies is about to be no more, at least, as a stand-alone operation as the also above mentioned Franklin Fountain is taking over the historic candy operation and will be selling their products via the soon-to-be-expanded ice cream operation. In the more immediate term, Shane Candies is currently having a phemomenal 50-percent-off sale on EVERYTHING in the Market Street store, FYI.
    • And a more upscale dining recommendation CheeseWit also gave me via PM (Sampan -- think modern Asian tapas) proved the PERFECT spot for ten last night. I couldn't recommend it or CW's valued recommendations more.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1