Real Chicago deep dish pizza in Columbus Ohil

Author
holdem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 415
2008/02/27 18:00:58 (permalink)

Real Chicago deep dish pizza in Columbus Ohil

Never had the real thing so I need some expert advice on where to go. Not sure if it even exists in Columbus. Thanks.

5 Replies Related Threads

holdem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: Real Chicago deep dish pizza in Columbus Ohil 2008/02/27 18:02:08 (permalink)
    Ohio that is.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18891
    RE: Real Chicago deep dish pizza in Columbus Ohil 2008/02/27 18:13:29 (permalink)
    The closest you'll come around Columbus, as I understand it, is East of Chicago pizza, but I've been told by those who have had the real thing in Chicago that it sucks. They don't even call it deep dish -- the call it pan pizza. I believe there's still a Pizzeria Uno somewhere around town, but I know how terrible that is.
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Real Chicago deep dish pizza in Columbus Ohil 2008/02/28 09:35:12 (permalink)
    If it exists, I haven't found it. I tried East of Chicago once and thought it was basically like a Pizza Hut Pan pizza. We went to the Uno near the Tuttle Mall which may now be closed and it was terrible. I thought there was a chance at Wholly Joes on Polaris Parkway. Everything else there is pretty good. Their Italian Beefs are close to what you can get in Chicago and the hot dogs are right on the money. The owner makes a big deal about getting all of his ingredients from Chicago and making everything authentic. So we waited the 45 minutes one night anxious to get a true deep dish pizza right here at home. It was basically just a regular bland pizza crust that was thick. Very disappointing. I've had better luck with some of the frozen ones. We also borke down and ordered one over the internet from Giordano's. It was pretty good but kind of pricey to do too often.
    captaincrunch
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Real Chicago deep dish pizza in Columbus Ohil 2008/02/29 17:10:48 (permalink)
    Holdem,
    I figured out the place, it's called "FABIAN'S" in the Short North-691 N High St. Open daily for lunch and dinner.
    The Other Paper (alternative Columbus newspaper) says" Serving signature Chicago style pizzas in addition to Stombolis,Pastas and Subs.
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Real Chicago deep dish pizza in Columbus Ohil 2008/03/19 17:15:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by captaincrunch

Holdem,
    I figured out the place, it's called "FABIAN'S" in the Short North-691 N High St. Open daily for lunch and dinner.
    The Other Paper (alternative Columbus newspaper) says" Serving signature Chicago style pizzas in addition to Stombolis,Pastas and Subs.

I found anopther site with a user reveiw of this place and it did not sound too positive. Bascially it said what I posted about Wholly Joe's pizza. It was thick crust but not Chicago style. It also said that the Italian Beefs were french Dips with banana peppers.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1