Real Chinese food-Chou Dofu

Author
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
2005/05/07 00:43:52 (permalink)

Real Chinese food-Chou Dofu

Hola!

I am an American living in China, and if you people really want some "roadfood", get the hell out of North America and come to Asia, especially China and SE Asia.

The worst smelling food I have ever smelled is a Chinese dish called Chou Dofu. This food smells like ****. I mean, it literally smells like human defecation. Sometimes street vendors sell this food in their stalls and I used to think that the smell came from an open sewer.

Yesterday, my beautiful Chinese wife ate this dish in a nice restaurant in Hangzhou. I have seen her eat this before, and could not believe I actually kiss this person. The food is presented on a "lazy susan" a spinning table w/ the food on it. When she wasnt eating the Chou Dofu, I spun the table the other way to keep me from the smell.

Has anyone here ever eaten Chou Dofu? I am sure that you can get it in major cities in Chinatowns. Maybe if you are of Chinese ancestory, you can tell me how people actually eat this despite the smell.

Senor

4 Replies Related Threads

CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Real Chinese food-Chou Dofu 2005/05/17 14:12:31 (permalink)
    Not an expert on Chinese by any means, but I think "dofu" is "tofu" and "chou" is for fermented or preserved, so my best guest is that it is funky bean curd. Yikes!

Have a coworker that travels extensively in China - says that he has learned to get by in dining situations there using mind control of "don't ask, just swallow". He has indeed had dog, and once a whole baby bird in a soup. He will claim that he has eaten both the best and worst food of his lifetime in China.

My only experience with "authentic" Chinese cuisine was in Toronto's Chinatown a few years ago. Six of us went for authentic dim sum and found a place where not only were we the only Westerners there, but there was no menu to be had in English. The waiter was very gracious in explaining dishes to us and, much like my coworker's experience in China, we had some of the best and worst food we've ever had. The dim sum of the dumpling type were all incredibly good, but the noodle dishes tasted of dirty, scorched oil and were generally inedible. Perhaps this is the authentic taste from a well-worn oily wok but it didn't suit us. Oh well, I can only imagine a Chinese person's first taste of McDonald's...or even worse if you forced them to eat at an American Chinese buffet!
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Real Chinese food-Chou Dofu 2005/05/17 14:58:58 (permalink)
    Fermented bean curd definitely has its own character -- an acquired taste, as it is said. But then, most of Asia thinks strong cheese is nasty, especially toward the end of the spectrum, blue cheese and such. Whatever. You apparently didn't get the tofu that has the mold growing out the outside -- looks sort of like one of those Hostess snowball things, coated in coconut. In a lot of places in Asia, if it moves or grows, there is a way to cook it and eat it. When I lived in the Philippines, one of the basic rules was "never order a hamburger in a Chinese restaurant."
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Real Chinese food-Chou Dofu 2005/05/17 15:44:22 (permalink)
    I'm Chinese, but I don't eat fermented beancurd. My parents have, on occasion though, and I agree...the smell is something else. But like someone mentioned earlier, I don't think it's any worse than some of the stinkier cheeses, it just depends on what a person's used to eating.

Definitely agree about roadfood and SE Asia. My family is from Malaysia, it is roadfood heaven! The best food is from hawker stalls--fresh, wonderful, and incredibly cheap. My husband and I went back in 2003, and I still drool over the food: huge plates of spicy crab, steamed bbq pork buns, stick after stick of satay with peanut sauce, spicy noodles with bean sprouts, shrimp and cockles, rich curry coconut noodle soups... Honestly, people should go for the food alone, if they ever get an opportunity.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Real Chinese food-Chou Dofu 2005/05/17 16:15:30 (permalink)
    Absolutely!!! Kuala Lumpur and Singapore must be the best roadfood cities in the world! With all the different ethnic influences bumping together, the food stalls probably one of the finest eating adventures there is.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1