Real LongShot: Clone Recipe Search

Author
Green_Chile
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
2004/04/10 04:33:10 (permalink)

Real LongShot: Clone Recipe Search

Was into a lot of clone recipe searches, and trying different recipes out for awhile, about a year ago. Had alot of success with sauces specifically, as I tried to recreate alot of the different ones I came across and they are fairly easy method wise. A1 steak sauce and, Sabrett's Onion sauce were a couple of my real favorites....along with the Red Lobster Tartar Sauce clone. I could never really get the Arby's sauce clone down quite solid but wasn't to disheartened as it isn't a huge favorite...though I like it. One of the sauces I REALLY, wanted to replicate is from Arby's though and it's one I have never (through months of searching), been able to find a clone for. I'm talking about their "special dressing" also reffered to as "red ranch dressing". This is the sauce they put on "The Super", my favorite sandwich from them. They also put "red ranch dressing" on a few other of their sandwichs...but it varies from location to location (so I've gathered from what I've read). Anyone know what I'm talking about? Also, does anyone have a recipe for a clone of this or know where I could find one...or something that is close?

Another clone recipe that ever eludes me is one for the mushrooms from Furr's Cafeteria. It's a small local Family Cafeteria style chain here in Albuquerque and the SW. Those button mushrooms swim in a delicate yet decadent clear broth laced with a touch of butter....I've come close to cracking this one...but never got it dead on. Alway's had those mushrooms over their mashed potatoes and their salibury steaks....YUM!

Who else has tried out clone recipes, and did they meet your expectations? What clone recipes did you really wanna try but can't find? I love this subject...anybody else?

8 Replies Related Threads

fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Real LongShot: Clone Recipe Search 2004/04/10 06:58:50 (permalink)
    Green Chile,
    I, too, find the subject of clone recipes interesting and fun. One of our favorites is Chasen's Chile, and it's super easy to put together. Here are some links to sites that offer clone recipes. I've found that not all are reliable. But my wife is always warning me that just because I see a recipe on the internet doesn't mean it's any good.

http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/quests.htm

Frank
    Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Real LongShot: Clone Recipe Search 2004/04/10 07:45:03 (permalink)
    Awesome, thanks for posting this link...all the more to search for those elusive goodie clones.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15285
    RE: Real LongShot: Clone Recipe Search 2004/04/10 10:23:32 (permalink)
    When Howard Johnson's was in it's 'HeyDay', I tried to imitate the sauce used on the 3D Burger, but never got the balance right...until McDonald's came out with the Big Mac that used a clone of that sauce. Then it was too easy.
    I do notice that the fruit-centered salsa's are really coming into their own in the past year or so. I am looking forward to making some of them out of our own harvest this season.
    Rex Allen
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Real LongShot: Clone Recipe Search 2004/04/10 11:56:25 (permalink)
    I collect cloned recipe's, I have many, but all from one site. I want to thank the people who put the other sites on this thread. You are the greatest. Rex in expensive foggy San Diego.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Real LongShot: Clone Recipe Search 2004/04/10 12:11:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

When Howard Johnson's was in it's 'HeyDay', I tried to imitate the sauce used on the 3D Burger, but never got the balance right...until McDonald's came out with the Big Mac that used a clone of that sauce. Then it was too easy.
    I do notice that the fruit-centered salsa's are really coming into their own in the past year or so. I am looking forward to making some of them out of our own harvest this season.

Al,
    What's an example of a fruit-centered salsa? Are there commercially packed ones available?

Frank
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15285
    RE: Real LongShot: Clone Recipe Search 2004/04/10 12:19:03 (permalink)
    Frank
    In Feb. we bought some Mango-Peach Salsa at Costco in Oregon. It is/was really good. I did a photo on one of these threads of a catfish dinner we made using it. It was spicy but really fruity as opposed to tomato based.

Check the thread I did in Mid-february under Cooking Techniques & Recipes- for Catfish using that Salsa. Looks good and tastes Great.
    ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Real LongShot: Clone Recipe Search 2004/04/10 22:17:32 (permalink)
    Al,
    The store where I buy my fresh seafood crequently carries a fresh made mango/pineapple salsa. I love it over a nice thick, broiled Rockfish filet.

Ocdreamr
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Real LongShot: Clone Recipe Search 2004/04/11 08:31:02 (permalink)
    I'm gonna have to try that salsa. I just have never noticed it. Al, the catfish filet meal looks fantastic! (I checked out your thread. Thanks!)

Frank
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1