Real Roadfood North of Dallas - US 75

Author
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
2008/11/03 15:22:31 (permalink)

Real Roadfood North of Dallas - US 75

US 75 (Central Expressway to Dallasites) runs north to the Oklahoma border and beyond. It runs through Van Alstyne which like many small towns on Texas highways has greatly expanded city limits since the days when I was young. I think Van Alstyne has three exits from the limited access highway. One of the exits, perhaps the middle one, is for Stephens Road, Exit 50. One of the businesses at the intersection is a Shell station. At the edge of the parking lot on the highway side is a small free standing trailer which is a BBQ stand. The Shell is on the east side of the road, so convenient if driving north.

This is not the best Texas BBQ I've had but it is good and greatly satisfied an ex-Texas resident headed north from DFW last Friday night. The portions were large. Most sandwiches were $3.50 and the sausage was good. There was a special for a boneless rib meat sandwich at $3.00 including tax and it was good. I would judge that the ribs there are nicely trimmed if the chopped rib meat was any indication.

I don't know the name of the place, or the proprieter's name. If you are northbound, there is a small sign on the side of the road, not on the "food at exit" sign for cross roads. I did not see a sign for the south bound lane on my return. By Googling the Van Alstyne C of C, I found the following:

SMOKEY G'S BBQ
Galen Gibson
803 Stephens St. By the Shell Gas Station
Van Alstyne, TX 75495
(903) 815-4430

In short, I think this is an example of "true" roadfood: literally beside the road, inexpensive, and good. I think the operator is working hard and deserves business. Its worth a stop. I don't get that way very often any more, but I hope to find the place again on a future trip.

5 Replies Related Threads

Run2Eat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: Real Roadfood North of Dallas - US 75 2008/11/03 15:31:30 (permalink)
    Thanks Born !! I think I've seen that place from the road while traveling to my wife's parents up in Denison.... I'll make sure I stop next time... BBQ on wheels can be a good thing...
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Real Roadfood North of Dallas - US 75 2008/11/04 07:41:40 (permalink)
    Another place to get great bbq from a roadside stand is in Sperry, Oklahoma just north of Tulsa. Donny Teal has a little trailer parked next to Daylight Donuts on the main road leading into Sperry from Tulsa. He serves competition quality bbq and his sides are very good also. Donny has won the American Royal Invitational in KC a couple times that I'm aware of and got Reserve Grand in 2008. If you are ever in that neck of the woods give him a try.
    planojim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Real Roadfood North of Dallas - US 75 2008/11/08 16:44:26 (permalink)
    Thanks Born....we loaded up the family truckster this afternoon and made the drive up there. The BBQ was pretty good. It is indeed just a small trailer with a woman running the woman, and a guy tending to the smoker outside. Good stuff, and very cheap. 1 lb of ribs was $10, they had a rib meat sandwich for $3, a ham sandwich for $3, and brisket sandwiches cost $4. Not bad when you can feed 4 people bbq for $20 or less.

I did notice that they tend to put sauce on everything, even when asked not to. In the future, I think I'll mention "no sauce" twice.

btw, it's exit 51, not 50.
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Real Roadfood North of Dallas - US 75 2008/11/11 04:30:27 (permalink)
    planojim-

Thanks for the correction about the exit number. I did not see the woman you mentioned the afternoon I was there, only a man as mentioned. As I said, it was not the best BBQ I've had (to me the sauce needed more bite), but it was very welcome on Halloween when I had just broken out of the Friday traffic further south. I had missed lunch that day getting on the plane in Atlanta. I am glad some one else tried it and loked it okay.

And a question please. There is some sort of a Mexican place on the other side of Stephens Road, just about due north of the BBQ stand in the next parking lot. I saw it when returning to US 75. Do you know anything about that place?

And one more thing please. This next weekend I may be back in North Texas, hoping to attend the HP - McKinney game at Kimbrough field in Murphy. My route will probably be from DFW to I-635 to Central and north. Can you recommend a BBQ or a Mexican place along that route?

Thanks.
    planojim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Real Roadfood North of Dallas - US 75 2008/11/11 10:29:57 (permalink)
    Hard 8 BBQ is about 1 mile north of 635 in Coppell. I've been there twice. Once was good, once was awful. http://www.hardeightbbq.com/

about 5 miles south of the intersection of 35 and 635 is Pappas Bros bbq. it's more than servicable... www.pappasbbq.com

as far as Mexican goes, in Plano, there's Aparicio's
    http://apariciosinplano.com/display/home.asp

and a pretty decent taqueria..La Paloma

http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page?_pageid=33,97400&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&item_id=7358
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1