Real Tex-Mex in N.C.

Author
jespah4
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2006/03/18 21:09:44 (permalink)

Real Tex-Mex in N.C.

We were on our way to Biloxi, MS from N.E. and made plans to stop at Stameys BBQ in Greensboro,N.C. Unfortunately, it was a Sunday and they were closed. It turned out to be our great fortune when only a mile or so we spotted The San Luis Mexican Rest.Located at 1503 W. Lee St.

The parking lot was full,always a good sign, so we pulled in. An hour or so later we left fully satisfied at having just been to Tex-Mex heaven. It was without doubt, the best that I have had since leaving Texas 25 years ago. We ordered from the lunch menu which is very varied and very inexpensive. As soon as we sat down we were greeted with a bowl of freshly made tortilla chips and a carafe of freshly made Salsa. My better half ordered Chicken fajitas. They came piping hot, moist and spicy and accompanied with tasty refried beans, moist and fluffy Spanish rice and Guacomole salad. All for $5.95. I had a beef Burrito and Enchilada Combo also accompanied with rice and beans for $7.49. Plenty of beef in both and a very good enchilada sauce. As I said, the menu is very varied, a large seafood selection as well as combination dinners, daily lunch and dinner specials and house specials, all very resonably priced. The wait staff was very attentive and effecient. Watching them go in and out of the kitchen (one door) and never bumping into each other is a show in itself.

12 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13524
    RE: Real Tex-Mex in N.C. 2006/03/18 21:20:58 (permalink)
    Jespha: Welcome to Roadfood.

I enjoyed your write up about the TexMex place. Sounds good to me and your description was very good.

Was your trip recent and did you experience the wrath of Katrina?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jespah4
    Junior Burger
    RE: Real Tex-Mex in N.C. 2006/03/19 08:49:35 (permalink)
    Paul, Thanks for the comments. Fortunately for us, we were in Biloxi in May of 2005 and were able to enjoy the city and all it's beauty. After Katrina, my brother-in law (He works for NSTAR in MA.) was sent down to Gulfport for 3 weeks. He brought back pictures that we matched to the ones we had taken while we were there. We could'nt believe it was the same area, the devastation was so total.

Joe lunnin
    Wareham, MA.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Real Tex-Mex in N.C. 2006/03/20 09:44:25 (permalink)
    I've mentioned Greensboro's Mexican (and tex-mex) food before. Greensboro constantly get talked about when BBQ is the discussion, but I've been a fan of its' Mexican food since living there from 1998-2001 and subsequent visits. There are a number of good Mexican places. Thanks for the post. I remember San Luis. When my wife was in grad school, she lived on the corner of Spring Garden and Aycock St, so San Luis was within walking distance.

Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Real Tex-Mex in N.C. 2006/04/27 18:53:12 (permalink)
    The best carnitas I've ever had came from Pablano's on High Point Rd. The meat was moist and tender on the inside and nicely browned and crisp on the outside. The pork was served with the usual fajita accompaniments. It's in the shopping center with the Harris Teeter and the Polish food store.
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Real Tex-Mex in N.C. 2006/04/27 20:20:36 (permalink)
    The number three destination for illegals from Mexico is NC. Therefore we here in NC have some great Tew-Mex plases to eat. Try Southh Blvd between Tyvola Ave and South Lakes. Great stuff.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Real Tex-Mex in N.C. 2006/04/28 13:05:03 (permalink)
    My favorite mexican place in G'boro was El Maricachi's on High Point Rd.
    Great fish tacos and other seafood dishes, and the Mariscos Soup was fantastic.

Mobay
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Real Tex-Mex in N.C. 2006/06/15 11:44:52 (permalink)
    Hey Folks,

I'm new to the Carolina Triangle. Any good suggestions for TexMex around here? There isn't much chatter on Chowhound about this subject, in case anyone cross posts there.

Thanks!

Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Real Tex-Mex in N.C. 2006/06/15 20:33:13 (permalink)
    There are a lot in the area that seem to be part of a chain. They all have the samr menu. El Dorado, El Rodeo, Las Margaritas and Los Tres Magueyes fall into this category. There are several more authentic places on Roxboro north of I-85. Super Taqueria on Roxboro is IMO the best. Fiesta Grill, on 54 a couple of miles west of Carrboro is good too. It helps if you speak a little spanish in some the taquerias, but that kind of adds to the adventure.

http://www.fiestagrill.us/
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Real Tex-Mex in N.C. 2006/06/16 13:22:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bob in Cary

There are a lot in the area that seem to be part of a chain. They all have the samr menu. El Dorado, El Rodeo, Las Margaritas and Los Tres Magueyes fall into this category. There are several more authentic places on Roxboro north of I-85. Super Taqueria on Roxboro is IMO the best. Fiesta Grill, on 54 a couple of miles west of Carrboro is good too. It helps if you speak a little spanish in some the taquerias, but that kind of adds to the adventure.

GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Real Tex-Mex in N.C. 2006/06/16 13:23:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

A good place, the Fiesta Grill. Here's a review from the News & Observer.

http://www.newsobserver.com/1132/story/403432.html
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Real Tex-Mex in N.C. 2006/06/16 15:45:38 (permalink)
    I'm not a big fan of the caldo siete mares, but I've liked just about everything else I've had there though. The tortilla soup is fantastic.
    vivienne
    Junior Burger
    RE: Real Tex-Mex in N.C. 2006/06/21 17:11:31 (permalink)
    quote:

I used to live in Durham and there is, as mentioned, a lot of places to go. We used to go to a wonderful restaurant in Roxboro - the name escapes me at the moment.

It does help if you know some Spanish. It helps with friendly conversations.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1