Real Urban Barbecue (R.U.B.) Highland Park, Illinois

Author
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 174
2014/04/25 14:40:00 (permalink)

Real Urban Barbecue (R.U.B.) Highland Park, Illinois

Just had a really good lunch at R.U.B. In Highland Park.

Mini-pulled pork and mini-brisket sandwich.

Close-up of pulled pork.

Close-up of brisket (with a little fat)

Close-up of mashed potatoes and coleslaw

$10.90, including tax.
post edited by Davidsanders - 2014/04/25 14:43:19

7 Replies Related Threads

MellowRoast
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Real Urban Barbecue (R.U.B.) Highland Park, Illinois 2014/04/25 14:45:26 (permalink)
    I'd buy it.  The meat looks perfect and the slaw is my style.  Please tell me the pickles are dill and not sweet.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    Re:Real Urban Barbecue (R.U.B.) Highland Park, Illinois 2014/04/25 15:15:59 (permalink)
    Mrs. Roadhouse and I visited RUB in the early days of their business.  We left feeling there were good intentions involved that hadn't yet been realized.  Little or no smoke flavor in the meats, including the house version of Kansas City Burnt Ends, made us wonder if these guys actually knew what real Barbecue is.

RUB's owner, Jeff Shapiro, told us he's cooking for the tastes of his customers who are predominantly from north suburban Highland Park.  Apparently, there's not a lot of call for smoke in north suburban 'Que.  The long lines of locals waiting to get into RUB prove Mr. Shapiro to be correct in his assumptions.  However, his tastes and mine (as I stated here on Roadfood) run along different paths, and we will be taking our Smoked Meat business to places like Smoque and other points further south.

Buddy
    Davidsanders
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 174
    Re:Real Urban Barbecue (R.U.B.) Highland Park, Illinois 2014/04/25 15:59:01 (permalink)
    I went there when they first opened and wasn't too impressed. I didn't go back for several years. I certainly wouldn't put it in the same class as Smoque or Fat Willy's, but both of those are much farther away, a much longer trip, and Smoque can often have a long line of people waiting. But I still enjoyed my meal.

BuddyRoadhouse

Mrs. Roadhouse and I visited RUB in the early days of their business.  We left feeling there were good intentions involved that hadn't yet been realized.  Little or no smoke flavor in the meats, including the house version of Kansas City Burnt Ends, made us wonder if these guys actually knew what real Barbecue is.

RUB's owner, Jeff Shapiro, told us he's cooking for the tastes of his customers who are predominantly from north suburban Highland Park.  Apparently, there's not a lot of call for smoke in north suburban 'Que.  The long lines of locals waiting to get into RUB prove Mr. Shapiro to be correct in his assumptions.  However, his tastes and mine (as I stated here on Roadfood) run along different paths, and we will be taking our Smoked Meat business to places like Smoque and other points further south.

Buddy

myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:Real Urban Barbecue (R.U.B.) Highland Park, Illinois 2014/04/25 16:02:00 (permalink)
    The place isn't real Q, they use "pellets", not wood,  which doesn't give any flavor to the meats.  In the few times we have stopped in there, the ribs and brisket were dried out.  Some of the sides are good, but most are average to below average.  Slaw has a good consistency, but lacks any flavor.  As far as the owner comments regarding his customers, I live on the North Shore and can tell you the people who live there have very sophisticated palates, so they know when things aren't right. 
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 449
    Re:Real Urban Barbecue (R.U.B.) Highland Park, Illinois 2014/04/25 16:35:51 (permalink)
    Another vote from the "wanted to love this place but just couldn't" club. The place had all the elements right (the look, the feel. the friendly staff) except the most important thing - the flavor and juiciness of the meats.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6175
    Re:Real Urban Barbecue (R.U.B.) Highland Park, Illinois 2014/04/25 17:17:23 (permalink)
    The Brisket and Pork LOOK good, problem I see is the Brisket looks medium rare, as if it was roasted, you cant get a color like that smoking it 14-16 hours! I'd still like to try it though!
    mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:Real Urban Barbecue (R.U.B.) Highland Park, Illinois 2014/04/25 17:27:49 (permalink)
    Looks good to me. I am really not up on barbeque so I couldn't critique it for that but I'm all for tasty meat of any kind and clearly, you enjoyed it so I suspect I would have too. I read on some other post that laws have changed about bbq smoke in residential areas so it would make sense that many in urban areas would not seek smokey meat and maybe not even care for it. I can't say whether or not I would either although I'm up for trying it. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1