Reasons for Success or Failure

Author
texgrill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
2006/12/27 08:17:31 (permalink)

Reasons for Success or Failure

There are always postings on here about starting/owning some type of food service business. I think thats why alot of folks are on here.

A little about me I have operated a food cart/catering business for 2 years and am currently setup at a Home Depot. So far I am a success.

I know the thing about location is important and I have great foot traffic at the HD.

I have no formal business training or culinary training. Also I do this part-time (have a regular job).

So what are the traits you have or others you know have, that cause a food service business to fail or succeed?

Ronnie

7 Replies Related Threads

Big_g
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    RE: Reasons for Success or Failure 2006/12/27 09:39:47 (permalink)
    Long hours, flexability, will, cash, and customers. With these, in some combination, the potential for success is greater. Without them failure is a given.
    DoubleB
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Reasons for Success or Failure 2006/12/27 10:19:29 (permalink)
    Add personality, and the ability to give the customer what THEY want. I have personally seen a couple of places where the food was good, BUT the owners personality ran off customers. Perhaps they should have stayed in the back of the house..... I've also seen places where the food was great, but NOT what the CUSTOMERS wanted, ie a healthy menu in a meat and three world.
    Big_g
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    RE: Reasons for Success or Failure 2006/12/27 11:23:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DoubleB

Add personality, and the ability to give the customer what THEY want. I have personally seen a couple of places where the food was good, BUT the owners personality ran off customers. Perhaps they should have stayed in the back of the house..... I've also seen places where the food was great, but NOT what the CUSTOMERS wanted, ie a healthy menu in a meat and three world.

Big +1 on personality. I've seen a place that was a true dump brought to life by the guy that ran it. A nowhere place, that was out of the main stream but the guy that ran it was bigger than life fun and really put his heart and soul into it. When the building owners saw how well he was doing they waited for the lease to come due, tossed the guy out and tried to continue the place....dead in three months. The building owners and the staff they hired couldn't pull it off.
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Reasons for Success or Failure 2006/12/27 11:53:37 (permalink)
    there have been several "hot dog vendors" placed outside the local Home Depots- Dallas area- McDonalds thought that they had a good thing and could improve on it- so they had HD toss the push cart vendors and they opened a Mickey D's inside - WRONG! lasted in business for less than 3 months- glad to say the hot dog man is back and doing better than ever- the contractors really told HD that they just wanted to be able to grab a dog and run- and now they can. Best of luck with yours in your location.
    doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Reasons for Success or Failure 2006/12/27 11:58:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Big_g

Long hours, flexability, will, cash, and customers. With these, in some combination, the potential for success is greater. Without them failure is a given.

....A sense of humor.
    An ability for promotion so that folks want to eat your food. I have a lot of ideas when I daydream about this.

Realistic expectations and treatment of employees.

I would say that flexibility means both time and the ability to work with the equipment or situation to make things work.

mark
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7370
    RE: Reasons for Success or Failure 2006/12/27 15:26:45 (permalink)
    Recipe for success:

1. It's all about the food and the attitude!

2. Work your tail off......and then some. Hard work never killed anybody.

3. Start early in the morning, go to the fish pier, the meat markets, the produce markets, the bakeries, buy the freshest ingredients you can possibly find.

4. Freezers are for french fries and ice cream.

5. KEEP IT CLEAN!! AND I DO MEAN CLEAN!! Your customers will notice. One of my favorite places to eat local food is the Swiftwater Cafe (reviewed here) in Whittier, AK. I am constantly amazed at how SPOTLESS the place is.

6. Treat the employees like human beings.......foodservice jobs are a dime a dozen and they will not hesitate to quit.

7. Location, location.

Recipe for failure:

1. Mediocre food.

2. Bad service.

3. Constant turn-over of help, thus inconsistant food.

4. Don't want to work all those long hours? This biz is not for you.

5. More frozen than fresh food.

6. Just plain bad management. If ever your vendors show up with an order that they will not take off the truck because the order is C.O.D. you know you're in trouble. (This never happened to me, but I've heard horror stories.)
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Reasons for Success or Failure 2006/12/27 16:00:29 (permalink)
    Llee's #6 for. And unhappy employees thransfer their feelings to the customers. Oh, and unhappy owners transfer their feelings to the emplayees. Unhappy customers go somewhere else! Then you have an unhappy X owner.
    Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1