RE: Reasons for Success or Failure
Recipe for success:
1. It's all about the food and the attitude!
2. Work your tail off......and then some. Hard work never killed anybody.
3. Start early in the morning, go to the fish pier, the meat markets, the produce markets, the bakeries, buy the freshest ingredients you can possibly find.
4. Freezers are for french fries and ice cream.
5. KEEP IT CLEAN!! AND I DO MEAN CLEAN!! Your customers will notice. One of my favorite places to eat local food is the Swiftwater Cafe (reviewed here) in Whittier, AK. I am constantly amazed at how SPOTLESS the place is.
6. Treat the employees like human beings.......foodservice jobs are a dime a dozen and they will not hesitate to quit.
7. Location, location.
Recipe for failure:
1. Mediocre food.
2. Bad service.
3. Constant turn-over of help, thus inconsistant food.
4. Don't want to work all those long hours? This biz is not for you.
5. More frozen than fresh food.
6. Just plain bad management. If ever your vendors show up with an order that they will not take off the truck because the order is C.O.D. you know you're in trouble. (This never happened to me, but I've heard horror stories.)