Recipe for Chocolate Mandarin Orange Ice Cream?

Author
NanC200
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2004/08/10 11:07:55 (permalink)

Recipe for Chocolate Mandarin Orange Ice Cream?

Baskin and Robbins used to have a Mandarin Orange Chocolate Ice Cream on their menu. I have tried to find a recipe for something similar and haven't been successful....my tries at replicating it have also fallen flat. Does anyone remember this ice cream and have a recipe that comes close?

5 Replies Related Threads

catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Recipe for Chocolate Mandarin Orange Ice Cream? 2004/08/10 11:39:47 (permalink)
    I sure do remember that flavor at BR, but it wasn't ice cream, it was a sherbet, I think it was called "Mandarin Chocolate", and it was DELICIOUS!. Here's one recipe I found on the internet (and it sounds a bit weird, to me):

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 quart soy moo or other vanilla flavored low-fat
    OR nonfat soy or ricemilk
    1 can frozen orange juice concentrate -- ( 6 oz), thawed
    1 cup sugar or equivalent sweetener
    6 tablespoons cocoa powder -- (unsweetened)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/8 teaspoon salt

Stir together and put into an ice-cream maker. Follow ice cream maker's directions.

Here's a second (more normal sounding) version:

Mandarin Chocolate Sherbet

2-3 oranges (1 C. juice) 1 t. vanilla
    2 C. milk 1/8 t. salt
    3/4 C. sugar 6 T. cocoa

Squeeze enough juice to make 1 cup. In a bowl or pitcher mix sugar and
    cocoa and slowly add juice, stirring constantly. Add all remaining
    ingredients and mix thoroughly. Chill well. Pour into ice cream maker.

(I've not tried these ... I found them when trying to find an answer to your question. If you try them, let us know how they turn out.)
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Recipe for Chocolate Mandarin Orange Ice Cream? 2004/08/10 11:52:17 (permalink)
    I never heard of this flavor before, but now than you mention it, it does sound delicious. Can't wait to try some, although since I don't make ice cream, I'll have to find it in a store.
    NanC200
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Recipe for Chocolate Mandarin Orange Ice Cream? 2004/08/10 15:09:35 (permalink)
    Thanks "Cat", you are right, it was a sherbet now that I think about it. I found the same recipe on the internet...but wasn't brave enough to try it...didn't sound that appetizing. So, I'll wait and see if anyone can come up with one that they have tried.
    catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Recipe for Chocolate Mandarin Orange Ice Cream? 2004/08/10 20:00:59 (permalink)
    The second recipe sounds better ... I might even try that one.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Recipe for Chocolate Mandarin Orange Ice Cream? 2004/08/10 20:40:36 (permalink)
    I don't have the Baskin & Robbins recipe but this is from my 1987 "Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream & Dessert Book".

Warning: This recipe is from the days before using uncooked eggs in recipes was found to be potentially life-threatening.

BEN & JERRY’S MANDARIN CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM

1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
    1/ 4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 1/ 2 cups milk
    2 large eggs
    3/ 4 cup sugar
    1 cup heavy or whipping cream
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/ 2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, defrosted

Melt the unsweetened chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water. Gradually whisk in the cocoa and heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. (The chocolate may “seize” or clump together. Don’t worry, the milk will dissolve it.) Whisk in the milk, a little at a time, and heat until completely blended. Remove from the heat and let cool/

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and vanilla and whisk to blend.

Pour the chocolate mixtuure into the cream mixture and blend. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1 to 3 hours, depending on your refrigerator

Whisk in the orange juice concentrate thoroughly and transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions.

Makes 1 quart

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1