Recipe help please...

Author
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
2004/04/05 21:39:02 (permalink)

Recipe help please...

i would like your help if possible.... my husband and i ate at a locally owned restaurant the other night. they had a soup called 'PEPPER POT' .. it was like stuffed peppers in a soup.. green peppers/hamburger/rice and some kind of seasonings. i asked about the recipe and the server said that she didn't know if they'd give it out. so i'm asking-- 1st-- has anyone ever heard of that kind of soup and 2nd-- does anyone have a recipe that might resemble that??
i'd REALLY appreciate it.. thanks.. (by the way-- it tasted AWESOME!) thanks in advance for your help.. jerz.....

10 Replies Related Threads

ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Recipe help please... 2004/04/05 22:59:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jerseygirl127

i would like your help if possible.... my husband and i ate at a locally owned restaurant the other night. they had a soup called 'PEPPER POT' .. it was like stuffed peppers in a soup.. green peppers/hamburger/rice and some kind of seasonings. i asked about the recipe and the server said that she didn't know if they'd give it out. so i'm asking-- 1st-- has anyone ever heard of that kind of soup and 2nd-- does anyone have a recipe that might resemble that??
    i'd REALLY appreciate it.. thanks.. (by the way-- it tasted AWESOME!) thanks in advance for your help.. jerz.....

I believe what you had is Philadelphia pepper pot. The traditional soup has tripe & no rice but I did locate this recipe on line for you. It uses ham but you could substitute beef. http://www.recipegoldmine.com/ccL/l43.html
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Recipe help please... 2004/04/06 08:37:29 (permalink)
    Recipes for Philadelphia pepper pot and others are in the soup section of nearly every cookbook I have ever seen. All contain tripe. Ground beef would make it Ground Beef Soup, of which there are endless variations, some with rice and some without, and going by various names.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18272
    RE: Recipe help please... 2004/04/06 10:36:09 (permalink)
    The only Pepper Pot Soup I can imagine being a standby here in the United States is the soup alleged to have originated at Valley Forge. It contains tripe, green pepper, carrots, onions, potatoes and lots of other stuff. But there's no rice or ground meat. Of course, there's the Caribbean Pepper Pot Soup, which is really Kallaloo. Here's a recipe from St. Croix. It's really delicious, but some of the ingredients might be a little hard to find.

Kallaloo

2 qts water
    1 lb salted pig's tail or salted pig's feet
    1 lb salt beef
    1 lb cooking ham
    1 lb fish, cooked and picked
    3 conchs, cleaned and pounded
    crabs (opt)
    approximately 2/3 cps each of Papalolo, White Mary, Pusley, Bata-Bata, Bower, and tannia leaves
    12 okra
    1 eggplant
    hot pepper (opt)

1. Soak meats overnight in cold water to remove excess fat. Cook meat and conchs in 2 qts. water till soft.
    2. Scald tannia leaves; pour off water, and chop or grind as finely as possible.
    3. When meat is half cooked, add fish and crab and continue cooking till meat is tender.
    4. Peel eggplant. Add to pot with meat mixture. When soft, remove and chop fine. Return to pot.
    5. Wash greens, and chop fine or put through grinder.
    6. Cut up okras and add with greens to meat and eggplant mixture.
    7. Cook till greens become a dark green color. Continue to cook about 5 minutes longer. Taste, add a little salt if needed, and pepper if desired. If mixture is too thick, add 1-2 cps water.

Here's a recipe for Philadelphia Style Pepper Pot

1-1/2 pounds honeycomb tripe
    Sprinkles of salt for rubbing
    Water
    1 tablespoon salt
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 cup chopped onions
    1 whole onion, studded with 3 cloves
    1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
    1/2 cup peeled, quartered and thinly sliced carrots
    1 leek (about 1 cup), washed, sliced, including tender green part
    1/2 cup diced green pepper
    4 cups chicken stock
    1 cup water
    1 small meaty veal knuckle
    1 garlic clove, diced
    2 to 3 teaspoons dried hot red chilies, crushed, or chili powder to taste
    1 bay leaf, crushed
    1 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1 teaspoon basil
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    3 tablespoons water
    1/2 cup chopped parsley
    2 cups 1/2-inch-diced potatoes
    1 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream
    1/3 cup butter for swirling into soup when served
    1/2 cup snipped parsley for garnish

Instructions
    Wash tripe under cold running water. Spread pieces on the counter or cutting board and rub both sides thoroughly with several teaspoons of salt. Rinse off the salt. Place tripe in a medium (3-quart) saucepan and add salted water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a gentle boil and cook 15 minutes. Drain and set aside. When cool cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Reserve.

Heat butter in a deep (4 to 5 quarts) kettle or casserole. When butter begins to foam, add chopped onions, the whole studded onion, celery, carrots, leek and green pepper. Cover and sweat over medium low heat for 10 minutes. Do not brown.

Pour stock and water into the kettle and add the veal bone and reserved tripe cubes. Add garlic, hot chilies, bay leaf, marjoram, basil, thyme, salt if desired, and black pepper. Simmer 1 1/2 hours. At the end of this period, lift out the veal bone and pick off what meat there is. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to the soup. Discard the bone and whole onion.

Mix together cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Add it to the soup and stir to blend. Add parsley and diced potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.

When soup is cooked, but still keeping it over the heat, add evaporated milk or cream. Swirl the butter into the soup at the moment of ladling it into a heated tureen or individual bowls. Garnish with snipped parsley.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Recipe help please... 2004/04/06 17:32:53 (permalink)
    thanks for the help=-- i have a question though, and hope it does not make me seem like too much of an idiot-- what's tripe???

i'm a simple kind of gal and never heard of that before.. :) thanks...
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Recipe help please... 2004/04/06 17:46:03 (permalink)
    Tripe is the lining of a cow's stomach. Many recipes call for honeycomb tripe, and that's rather what it looks like.

Campbell's still makes a Pepper Pot soup.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18272
    RE: Recipe help please... 2004/04/06 18:05:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

Tripe is the lining of a cow's stomach. Many recipes call for honeycomb tripe, and that's rather what it looks like.

Campbell's still makes a Pepper Pot soup.

I didn't know they still made that. I haven't seen it in years.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Recipe help please... 2004/04/06 19:54:10 (permalink)
    Brown 1/2 lb. lean ground beef, 1 small onion, 1 small green pepper, chopped, and 1 clove of miced garlic. Drain off any fat and add 2 cans of Campbell's chicken gumbo soup, 1 and 1/2 cans of water and a healthy sprinkle of Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning or other Creole seasoning powder. Reduce heat and simer for 15 minutes. Best served if made the day before, refrigerated and served next day.
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Recipe help please... 2004/04/07 07:20:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Kallaloo

2 qts water
    1 lb salted pig's tail or salted pig's feet
    1 lb salt beef
    1 lb cooking ham
    1 lb fish, cooked and picked
    3 conchs, cleaned and pounded
    crabs (opt)
    approximately 2/3 cps each of Papalolo, White Mary, Pusley, Bata-Bata, Bower, and tannia leaves
    12 okra
    1 eggplant
    hot pepper (opt)

1. Soak meats overnight in cold water to remove excess fat. Cook meat and conchs in 2 qts. water till soft.
    2. Scald tannia leaves; pour off water, and chop or grind as finely as possible.
    3. When meat is half cooked, add fish and crab and continue cooking till meat is tender.
    4. Peel eggplant. Add to pot with meat mixture. When soft, remove and chop fine. Return to pot.
    5. Wash greens, and chop fine or put through grinder.
    6. Cut up okras and add with greens to meat and eggplant mixture.
    7. Cook till greens become a dark green color. Continue to cook about 5 minutes longer. Taste, add a little salt if needed, and pepper if desired. If mixture is too thick, add 1-2 cps water.

In the interest of helping translate unfamiliar ingredients in the above recipe, tannia (also spelled tanya) is the plant grown most often in the US as an ornamental, called variously Elephant Ears, Tanya, Taro, or Dasheen. The root, besides being used in making Poi, is also quite good simply boiled, skinned, and mashed with butter, salt & pepper, like mashed potatoes.
    tlbartle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Recipe help please... 2004/04/08 19:33:12 (permalink)
    Stuffed Green Pepper Soup
    Recipe By: Jim Weckmann BCBS
    Given By: Nean
    2 lbs ground beef
    1 ½ quarts water
    3 small cans beef broth
    1 28 oz can diced tomatoes un drained
    1 29 oz can tomato sauce
    2 cups cooked white rice or ½ cup uncooked rice (add more)
    3 cups sliced green peppers large ones
    2 beef bullion cubes
    3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 ½ teaspoons pepper
    ½ teaspoon chopped garlic
    ¾ chopped onion
    1 can tomato paste
    Couple shots hot sauce

1. In duch oven, brown beef with onion & garlic, drain
    2. Add all remaining ingredients except tomato paste
    3. Bring mixture to a boil pull out 1 cup juice from pot & place in a bowl. Add tomato paste to bowl & whisk till dissolved. Pour it back into boiling mixture.
    4. Reduce heat & cover, simmer for 30-40 min or until green peppers are tender, stirring occasionally. Makes approx 16 servings.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Recipe help please... 2004/04/09 08:12:43 (permalink)
    RubyRose & tlbartle-- after reading through the recipes that have been given to me-- yours sounds the closest to what we actually ate.. thank you.. will give them a try and see what happens.. thanks :)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1