The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Recipe needed for navy bean soup

Dipstick

• Total Posts: 337
Recipe needed for navy bean soup Mon, 09/15/03 9:26 PM (permalink)
It's beginning to get cooler here in the great state of Minnesota, and I have found myself hankerin' for a pot of navy bean soup. I have never made it before, although I'm pretty good with other varieties. (Split Pea, Cream of Mushroom, Kielbasa-Wild Rice, Beef/Barley)
You folk seem to have a super grasp of cooking, and I can't tell you how glad I am that I joined the forums. I would much appreciate any recipes for this soup you may have. Thanks!

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
    RE: Recipe needed for navy bean soup Tue, 09/16/03 9:04 AM (permalink)
    My favorite is pretty easy. Take a pound and a half of dried beans, soak them covered in water overnite in a 6 qt. crock pot. Early next morning rinse beans, replace in crock pot, add a chopped onion, chopped carrot, two ham hocks (Or my favorite, a honey-baked ham bone w/ a good amount of meat on the bone), a large can of chopped tomatoes, two diced garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1 tsp. salt. Fill to top w/ water and cook on high 4 hrs, then low for 8 hours. About an hour before completion, hard boil 2-3 eggs, shell and dice them, add to soup. Adjust spices and serve w/ bread.

Dipstick

RE: Recipe needed for navy bean soup Tue, 09/16/03 9:13 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by oneiron339

My favorite is pretty easy. Take a pound and a half of dried beans, soak them covered in water overnite in a 6 qt. crock pot. Early next morning rinse beans, replace in crock pot, add a chopped onion, chopped carrot, two ham hocks (Or my favorite, a honey-baked ham bone w/ a good amount of meat on the bone), a large can of chopped tomatoes, two diced garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1 tsp. salt. Fill to top w/ water and cook on high 4 hrs, then low for 8 hours. About an hour before completion, hard boil 2-3 eggs, shell and dice them, add to soup. Adjust spices and serve w/ bread.

Thanks a million! Sounds great!

Mayhaw Man

• Total Posts: 589
        RE: Recipe needed for navy bean soup Tue, 09/16/03 12:37 PM (permalink)
        The following recipe was drawn from the Official Record of the United States Senate. I have had it several times in the Senate Dining room and can testify that this may be one of the reasons that people refer to our Congressional leaders as "Gasbags"

Ingredients

2 pounds of small Michigan navy beans
        1-1/2 pounds of smoked ham hocks
        1 onion
        butter
        Salt and pepper
        Take two pounds of small Michigan navy beans, wash and run through hot water until beans are white again. Put on the fire with four quarts of hot water. Then add smoked ham hocks, boil slowly approximately 3 hours in covered pot. Braise one chopped onion in a little butter, and when light brown put in bean soup. Season with salt and pepper than serve. Do not add salt until ready to serve.

Serves: 8.

Having watched several of our esteemed leaders dine on this fine dish, I have observed that most add hot sauce and or ketchup at the table (regardless of party affiliation)

mek

• Total Posts: 123
          RE: Recipe needed for navy bean soup Tue, 09/16/03 12:59 PM (permalink)
          MayhawMan-
          My next-door neighbor is Roland Keh. He was the chef on Capitol Hill for years. I believe that is his recipe. Small world!

Dipstick

RE: Recipe needed for navy bean soup Tue, 09/16/03 1:28 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

The following recipe was drawn from the Official Record of the United States Senate. I have had it several times in the Senate Dining room and can testify that this may be one of the reasons that people refer to our Congressional leaders as "Gasbags"

Ingredients

2 pounds of small Michigan navy beans
            1-1/2 pounds of smoked ham hocks
            1 onion
            butter
            Salt and pepper
            Take two pounds of small Michigan navy beans, wash and run through hot water until beans are white again. Put on the fire with four quarts of hot water. Then add smoked ham hocks, boil slowly approximately 3 hours in covered pot. Braise one chopped onion in a little butter, and when light brown put in bean soup. Season with salt and pepper than serve. Do not add salt until ready to serve.

Serves: 8.

Having watched several of our esteemed leaders dine on this fine dish, I have observed that most add hot sauce and or ketchup at the table (regardless of party affiliation)

I appreciate the help,Mayhaw Man. Thanks!Now we know where all the hot air in D.C. comes from.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com