Red Apple Rest condemned

Author
JDSpiedies
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
2007/02/15 18:20:09 (permalink)

Red Apple Rest condemned

The mother of all rest stops is all but gone. The Red Apple Rest rest stop has been condemned. Log on to:

www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070208/NEWS/702080318/-1/COMM02

10 Replies Related Threads

Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Red Apple Rest condemned 2007/02/15 18:33:59 (permalink)
    Almost all of my memories of this place is their sign going by at 80 MPH, except for the time we stopped there so me and my sister could both barf from car sickness. My best guess is that it was 1971. Man, those trips were hell.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Red Apple Rest condemned 2007/02/16 06:01:09 (permalink)
    As the old saying stated, "The old order changeth, and giveth way to the new".

When Route 17 was essentially the only way to get to the Catskills region from NYC, the Red Apple Rest served a large customer base, and it was a welcome respite from that road and its bumper-to-bumper traffic. I can well remember stopping there back in the '50s, and the Red Apple was like an oasis of sorts.

With the advent of other, far superior highways over the years, it began to serve fewer and fewer customers, hence the decline in everything (including cleanliness) at the old Red Apple. While I'm not confident that whatever replaces it will be an architectural masterpiece, it is clear that the Red Apple Rest outlived its usefulness.

For those who will miss it, try to remember it as it was in its heyday, not as it became in later years.
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Red Apple Rest condemned 2007/02/16 12:01:19 (permalink)
    As kids,in the mid 60s, we spent our summers at the "Gold & Rados" bungalow colony is South Fallsburg NY- we lived in Brooklyn and we got away to the mountains "the country" we called it every summer. We'd stop at the REd Apple Rest- it was a landmark- lifestyles change, times change- it's sad now to drive around up in Sullivan County past all the places we used to hang out- we were young, our parents were young, farewell Red Apple Rest. Another little bit of childhood gone.
    Jeff S.
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Red Apple Rest condemned 2008/08/10 23:00:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Danmel

As kids,in the mid 60s, we spent our summers at the "Gold & Rados" bungalow colony is South Fallsburg NY- we lived in Brooklyn and we got away to the mountains "the country" we called it every summer. We'd stop at the REd Apple Rest- it was a landmark- lifestyles change, times change- it's sad now to drive around up in Sullivan County past all the places we used to hang out- we were young, our parents were young, farewell Red Apple Rest. Another little bit of childhood gone.

Ditto to everything you said, except that my 60s summers were spent at Joy-Del and Lansman's bungalow colonies. Halcyon days.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: Red Apple Rest condemned 2008/08/10 23:34:04 (permalink)
    I passed it on NY Route 17 yesterday. While shuttered, it is still standing.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Red Apple Rest condemned 2008/08/11 12:05:17 (permalink)
    In its prime:

Now:
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Red Apple Rest condemned 2008/08/11 13:02:34 (permalink)
    I loved it---looked forward to getting there for the food and the
    rest rooms.

And then along came the NY Thruway-----so long Red Apple, we could stop at the
    reststops on the highway.

But years latter when going upstate on business I stopped there a few times
    and unfortunately it was not the same---run down and beat up. RIP Apple !!!!
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    RE: Red Apple Rest condemned 2008/08/11 21:39:56 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

I actually live about 10 miles from the Red Apple and pass it every day on my way home from work from the Big Apple . Two years ago I stoppped in to use the lavatory as nature was calling and this was the only pit stop for another six or seven miles and I will never forget the final picture of this once proud establishment , run down and weary . Sad indeed , it closed a few months later for good.

In the mid 70's as a kid I watched them the film Olivers Story , the sequel to Love Story , for an entire weekend there . Big news in our once sleepy County of Orange to get Ryan O'Neal , filming a scene there . Looked like they filmed the entire motion picture there but when it came out in the theatres the entire thing was less than a minute in the picture .

Benzee
    COG-528
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Red Apple Rest condemned 2009/07/13 15:44:22 (permalink)
    During the 1990s I always thought the Red Apple could have been turned into a modern success by a smart restauranteur.  So many people have moved up into that area of Orange County that the loss of the Catskill traffic could have been overcome.  If the place had been restored, not modernized, and the food upgraded without a significant price increase; I believe people would have flocked there.  The old for nostalgia and the young because a good roadside cafeteria would have been a new unique experience.

I think the current long lines to get into the new Sonic Drive-in in Hasbrouck Heights, NJ show how even the most jaded consumer will flock to something different. 

Unfortunately the size of the parcel that the Red Apple sits on probably makes it worth more for development into a strip mall than it would be as a restaurant.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 837
    RE: Red Apple Rest condemned 2009/07/14 16:38:28 (permalink)
    Back in the late 50's & early 60's I spend a few of my summers at a nearby camp on Lake Stahahe.  The Red Apple Rest was Mecca for a camp kid getting camp food three times a day for a few weeks.  Parents day would require a trip for some greasy fries, dogs and burgers; heaven!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1