Red Lobster Clam Chowder

Author
JAHelgy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
2005/03/22 11:30:13 (permalink)

Red Lobster Clam Chowder

I know it costs an arm & a leg, BUT, am i the only one who is addicted to Red Lobster's Clam Chowder? an, I could live on little else! :-)

----James

15 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18362
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/03/22 11:46:11 (permalink)
    Apparently.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/03/22 11:53:12 (permalink)
    James, without commenting on the "chain restaurants are no good" belief consistent among many Roadfood posters which you are likely to see in posts yet to come, I will say that I have had Red Lobster's Clam Chowder and found nothing out of the ordinary about it.

One possible reason for your love of their version could be that you have not had the opportunity to try the many great New England Calm Chowders served in Massachusetts and Maine. There are many differing regional recipes, all much more enjoyable than the Red Lobster version.

If you would prefer an less expensive variety which I think is just as good as Red Lob's, heat up a can of Campbells Chunky or Home Cookin' New England Clam Chowder and add a small can of chopped clams and the juice to it.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18362
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/03/22 12:07:15 (permalink)
    If you can find it, either Snow's clam chowder or Doxee's clam chowder (I prefer Doxee's) will come as close as you can get to the creamy, New England style without making your own.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/03/22 13:16:11 (permalink)
    Again on chains (sorry), but I LOVE Legal Seafood clam chowda!
    ryan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/03/27 11:02:36 (permalink)
    I could never understand what the masses find good with the chain restaurants. BLA
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3742
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/03/27 11:30:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CarolinaBill

Legals is much less like a chain -- though, they seem like they, for some reason, desparately want to be one! -- than Dread Lobster. They are very small, in terms of number of locations, or at least they were the last time I checked, and their quality is still consistent with their original location in Boston.

To compare the RL's, just heat up some Campbell's on the stove top, you will likely be just as impressed.

Steve
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/03/27 11:34:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JAHelgy

I know it costs an arm & a leg, BUT, am i the only one who is addicted to Red Lobster's Clam Chowder? an, I could live on little else! :-)

----James

U are kiddin', RIGHT????????

Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/03/28 00:35:33 (permalink)
    How about the canned stuff? I bought some Wolfgang Puck's on sale, and I was very disappointed and miffed at the amount of grit I found in it.

Sand in your teeth. Ugh.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/03/28 15:01:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

How about the canned stuff? I bought some Wolfgang Puck's on sale, and I was very disappointed and miffed at the amount of grit I found in it.

Sand in your teeth. Ugh.

For the life of me i cant figure why Wolfgang Puck is famos!!! Everything i have ever had with his name in it was mediocre and overpriced. I suppose that if i had a meal tha HE actually cooked it might be clear to me---but ive had 3 of his supermarket products and WONT have a 4th--and eat his restaraunt food twice at different locations and onc of his a pizza in an airport location---NEVER again!
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/03/28 15:28:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

Legals is much less like a chain -- though, they seem like they, for some reason, desparately want to be one! -- than Dread Lobster. They are very small, in terms of number of locations, or at least they were the last time I checked, and their quality is still consistent with their original location in Boston.

To compare the RL's, just heat up some Campbell's on the stove top, you will likely be just as impressed.

Steve

LSF--31 locations between New England, Mid-Atlantic and Florida.

Dread Lobster: over 350 locations in the US alone. According to their website, 12 of those locations are within a 30-mile radius (aka. seafood heaven) of my house! I just don't understand!

And by the way, since I don't go to Lead Lobster, just how expensive is the clam chowder? I thought everything at RL was kinda on the cheap side. At least from their ubiquitous ads it seems that way.

For comparison sake, the NE Clam Chowder (and the Cream of Crab soup) at the Bay N' Surf on Route 1 in Laurel is $6 a bowl.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7760
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/03/28 18:13:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

Steve

LSF--31 locations between New England, Mid-Atlantic and Florida.

Dread Lobster: over 350 locations in the US alone. According to their website, 12 of those locations are within a 30-mile radius (aka. seafood heaven) of my house! I just don't understand!

And by the way, since I don't go to Lead Lobster, just how expensive is the clam chowder? I thought everything at RL was kinda on the cheap side. At least from their ubiquitous ads it seems that way.

For comparison sake, the NE Clam Chowder (and the Cream of Crab soup) at the Bay N' Surf on Route 1 in Laurel is $6 a bowl.

Hey Meowzart, don't mock the names of fast food restaurants, or you'll experience the the wrath of PEACHPIE," /> oh wait a second she only slams me for doing that
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4617
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/03/28 18:25:35 (permalink)
    peachpie has left the building.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7760
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/03/28 19:04:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3742
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/03/29 01:26:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude...that's cold.

Funny as all get up, but cold.

Mavlily
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Red Lobster Clam Chowder 2005/05/15 08:15:43 (permalink)
    We used to eat at our local Red Lobster.....I say USED TO because they abruptly closed on a recent Sunday afternoon much to the surprise of everybody, especially the employees and the local police who held a benefit for Special Olympics there every year and had one planned in several weeks.....and never found their clam chowder to be anything special. They did have some good seafood but it doesn't hold a candle to Lenny & Joe's and The Chowder Pot. The best clam chowder is the one I make myself from a recipe from Warren's Lobster House in Kittery, ME.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1