Red Lobster

Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2006/11/15 14:16:39 (permalink)

Red Lobster

I ate there yesterday. Thought it was average. What are other peoples' impressions of this chain?

22 Replies Related Threads

scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/15 14:46:39 (permalink)
    I've never been all that impressed. However, it's convenient at times to go there as the only other seafood resturant in my home town is a Captain D's. I do love the cheese biscuits they bring out and generally the service is nice as in fast, friendly and attentive.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/15 15:15:11 (permalink)
    I think there is also a long RL thread here somewhere. But since I'm here, I also love the biscuits, so much that I was instructed by my sweety to find the recipe. I did and she can now make them at home.

Last time I was there I just had the apitiser Cocanut Shrimp. Don't shoot me fellow roadfooders but... they were geat! We always sit at a table in the bar area, and the service is always great also. My sweety likes to go there and maybe we have a rare good RL in Greenville Tx.?
    Joe
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/15 20:28:02 (permalink)
    RL is good if you live 20K miles or more from the coast. Other than that, nada.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/15 20:51:50 (permalink)
    I have always had digestive problems after eating at Red Lobster.
    salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/15 21:14:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

RL is good if you live 20K miles or more from the coast. Other than that, nada.

Even at that, it is not good.

I pretty much live smack in the center of Canada and I'd go anywhere over Red Lobster after my past few experiences there. In the past, I would be enticed by their commercials only to go there and kick myself for wasting a significant bit of money on a mediocre(at best) meal. I'm far better off going to the fish section of any grocery store and spending money on decent product and a good bottle of wine from the liquor store. Their cooking is limited to microwaves and deep fryers and they still can't do it right. Those cheddar bay biscuits don't even cut it anymore-you can make them yourself at home with some bisquick, cheddar cheese and garlic butter.

The last time I was there was to satisfy a crab leg craving but I've since resolved to get crab at the supermarket as our service at RL was so awful.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/16 09:36:29 (permalink)
    I haven't been there for years and have no plans to return. It's pretty much LJS quality for at least twice the price.
    Plus, we've got some mom & pop seafood places around here that are pretty good.

Andrea
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/16 12:12:32 (permalink)
    When I eat I RL I always order the coconut fried shrimp. I absolutely love it. They are huge butterflied shrimp and the sauce they give you to dip it in is great. I like their baked potatoes because they are small and the skins are rubbed in butter and salt. I always order the slaw instead of a salad. Not a bad meal at all.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/16 12:22:12 (permalink)
    Thanks Sassy for the coconut shrimp rec! Maybe folks here won't think I am so crazzzy? Yep, I like the sauce also. If you end up at RL, for whatever reason, eat the bread, coconut shrimp, a tater, and some slaw.
    Joe
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/16 13:22:35 (permalink)
    After the recent discussion about Domino's Brooklyn Style Pizza and its reception in Brooklyn, NY, I wondered how many Red Lobsters were in New England to compete with local Roadfood seafood restaurants.

So, I went to the redlobster.com site and clicked on "Locate a Restaurant". For location, I entered Portland, ME since it is a major commercial seafood port. Their directory shows the closest restaurant is in Queensferry, NY, 173 miles away. Included with the search is a map of the entire southern New England area. Priceless, as that credit card commercial states.

I guess there are people who know how to judge good food and there are people who are swayed by loss leaders and slick advertising. Red Lobster does have a few food items that certain individuals like, though they don't seem to be filleted fish or shellfish.

improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/16 14:48:06 (permalink)
    My family is a big chain family, not very adventurous at all. I'm the opposite, I'll eat anything you put in front of me, except for sweet potatoes or gum.

My family loves Red Lobster. I like it okay too. I like their tilapia and their biscuits. My dad was very sad when they stop serving Red Claw beer. Although I think (though I could be wrong) that it was just Killian's with a different name.
    danimal15
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/17 10:12:28 (permalink)
    Thanks, everyone.

All the people I was with ordered "Endless Shrimp." None were too happy with it, and some felt sick later. I tried a couple of the fried shrimp on a friend's plate, and they tasted like they'd been microwaved.

My salmon was passable, though the flavor seemed a bit chemical. I definitely have made far better salmon at home for far less than the $10.99 that this one cost.
    danimal15
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/17 10:14:55 (permalink)
    Everyone loved the bread, by the way. I didn't partake, as cheese bread isn't my thing.

One thing that was nice to see: It was the middle of lunch hour in downtown Chicago (where this Red Lobster we went to is located), and the place was nearly empty. Obviously, there are far better places to eat around downtown Chicago, and most people realize that. Not sure how long this particular Red Lobster location can last if that's how it always looks at lunchtime.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/17 11:38:30 (permalink)
    Improviser, that's a short "don't like list, but don't forget the 10x rule. If you try something 10x you might like it the 11th.? Thats how I learned to like chicken livers. That green tamaly stuff in lobsters is still on my list.

I am not suggesting that RL has good sea food, just that there are a few thing there that are not bad. Of coarse even those things may vary by location.
    Joe
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/17 19:09:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Improviser, that's a short "don't like list, but don't forget the 10x rule. If you try something 10x you might like it the 11th.? Thats how I learned to like chicken livers. That green tamaly stuff in lobsters is still on my list.

I am not suggesting that RL has good sea food, just that there are a few thing there that are not bad. Of coarse even those things may vary by location.
    Joe

I used the "2x" rule for me with RL. My parents took me to RL as a teen in a coastal area in FL (in the early '70s).

Around 1994 I was forced to go to RL in a "land-locked" town in Georgia due to a "business" dinner.

That was it for me.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/17 19:26:41 (permalink)
    I was talkin about sweet potaoes Adj, and livers.
    Joe
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/17 21:23:44 (permalink)
    I order the same meal over and over from there: Crab Alfredo over linguine with a side of broccoli. Cesar salad. Key lime pie. Coffee.
    TwoJays
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 200
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/18 10:33:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by David_NYC

After the recent discussion about Domino's Brooklyn Style Pizza and its reception in Brooklyn, NY, I wondered how many Red Lobsters were in New England to compete with local Roadfood seafood restaurants.

So, I went to the redlobster.com site and clicked on "Locate a Restaurant". For location, I entered Portland, ME since it is a major commercial seafood port. Their directory shows the closest restaurant is in Queensferry, NY, 173 miles away.

That would be Queensbury, NY, neighboring Glens Falls. My in-laws are from that area. My late mother-in-law was wheelchair bound and living in a nursing home, but when we would visit, we'd take her to the Queensbury RL, mostly because she liked the biscuits and the bathroom was very spacious for my wife to wheel my M-I-L into (hey, priorities are priorities!).

As Bill Belichick would say, it is what it is. We only went there as a convenience. Fortunately, for lunch on a weekend, it was never crowded and we were able to entertain my M-I-L. The biscuits & the chowder weren't horrible, either.

John
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/18 16:35:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Joe

PapaJoe, I've given sweet potatoes a few chances but could never warm up to them. I may give them a few more shots before writing them off for good.

But I ain't ever going to chew gum.

Red Lobster isn't a bad place to go when you're focusing on family togetherness as opposed to food.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/18 16:49:44 (permalink)
    Well said Improv! And, gum, not really food so that's fine. The sweet taters, those can be fixed many different ways. You might already like one of them and not even know?

The 10x food rule is real, they did some studies, something do to with our ganetic defense system, they speculate. I knew about the 10x thing years ago. The study is new. I would tell my friends who did'nt like oysters that it was a 100x rule. "I promise you will like your 101st. oyster!" Worked sometimes. Never worked on tha grandzillas though!
    Joe
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/18 20:22:45 (permalink)
    When I was 13 my father bet me $1.00 that I would not eat a raw oyster. I had never tried them before... HA!!! I now order them three dozen at a time.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2435
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/20 02:34:42 (permalink)
    I remember drinking Hi-C for the first time as an adult (after having been drinking actual juice for years). Oh, the nostalgia!! I loved Hi-C as a kid! This is gonna be great! I'll have fond rememberances of days gone by! I've never been so revolted in my life. I'd like some water with my sugar, please. Thats how I felt going to Red Lobster after having eaten at really good seafood places in Boston anf NYC for years. I though Red Lobster was pretty good being landlocked in CNY for years. I don't know why, but I never realized how everything is drowning in butter and extremely salty. Too much salt always kills a meal for me because its all I end up tasting. "Red Lobster for the seafood hater in you!" My own take on the jingle.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Red Lobster 2006/11/20 11:52:41 (permalink)
    Yep Adj, the money trick does work, except $1 was in tha good old days. It takes a $20 bill now days. I didn't agree to that that offer. They can just stay scared eaters I guess.
    joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1