Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/02/28 17:18:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:
Originally posted by Route 11

I'd rather just have a tuna steak from my Foreman grill.

and what time will those be ready?

i suppose that growing up with an italian fisherman grandfather in New England and having a brother who is a ist class Clambake "Bakemaster", has spoiled me--i just have NEVER found any
new england seafood anyway BUT in New England---unless of course we brought it back on the plane with us and cooked it. FRESH is the key---a lobster thats been through as much as waht ant Red Lobster--or most any seafood resteraunt more the a few miles from the coast gets is just not up to one that fresh from the pound or right of the boat and in to the resteraunt that day. So i dont order lobster--anywere---shrimp travel MUCH better--and what ever fresh fish you can get---be it wild salmon or pond raised catfish or a mess of crappie--is always better then any frozen seafood in any venue! Here in Oklahoma--i eat alot of catfish!---and theres a asian buffet that treat shrimp with respect and serves it 4 ways!!So i wait for trip home to visit for lobster or clams and boy do they taste great!!!At the same time--i domnt turn down an invite to Red Lobster--i just dont expect it to be anything more then Red Lobster.

Six o'clock Sunday. I'm having Al's salsa fish tonight. Marinate it in Trader Joe's Cajun simmer sauce!

Lynne
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/02/28 17:27:46 (permalink)
Sounds good Lynne. What kind of fish do you use?

I have to settle for grilled Lamb Chops and Mashed potatoes.

Don
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7019
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/02/28 17:46:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Its not just Red Lobster and Arthur Treachers and that ilk- its the way some people order fish in much better places. What I'm talking about is ordering salmon in a joint on St Pete beach when the place is offering great grouper, snapper, and shrimp. What's the point of travreling to Maine and not eating lobster (or salmon). People need to learn to eat whatever is local in seafood - it is fresher - and the local chefs know how to prepare it.

I agree 100%. Local fish is fresh fish. We ate seafood every day when in the Gulfport/Biloxi area but we ate BBQ every day in Birmingham. A big 'ol lobster in Maine and fresh halibut just out of the water in Alaska. Doesn't get any better!!!
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/02/28 19:14:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oldfrt

Don

"SETTLE" for lamb chops!!! I have to fight for them around here!
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/02/28 19:16:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oldfrt

Don

Hey Don:

Al used catfish...I used flounder. IT turned out pretty good. Next time, I'll use olive oil to fry it. I had to use Wesson this time around.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/02/28 19:25:07 (permalink)
Lynne
I don't think I've had good Flounder since my last HOJO Fish fry nite...35 yrs. ago.
Did you find the Mango Peach Salsa at a VA Costco?? I wondered if they had it nationwide??
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/02/28 19:28:05 (permalink)
Sure did. We're more of a Sam's Club kind of area, though. Price Club is the major player here but you can't join them all.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/02/28 19:30:40 (permalink)
I should add that I'm visiting family in Northern VA right now. Charlottesville is warehouse-bare, excepting a second rate Sam's. THere's not even a Super Wal-Mart. It's decidedly un-super.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/02/28 20:16:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Lynne
I don't think I've had good Flounder since my last HOJO Fish fry nite...35 yrs. ago.
Did you find the Mango Peach Salsa at a VA Costco?? I wondered if they had it nationwide??

Costco (and other club stores) seem to be hit-and-miss. I went to ours and found no Mango Peach Salsa. Mom buys this BEAUTIFUL rack of PORK at her Costco.....no deal here, never saw it. But then I've seen items here I never saw anywhere else.
No flounder for 35 years? Oh my! We have to send you on a Roadfood tour of New England in the summer!!!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/02/28 20:33:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Leemart

Oddly enough, here on the Central East Coast of Florida, which has a fair share of excellent seafood restaurants, the local Red Lobster is always packed with customers. They recently had to remodel in order to add more seating. I would imagine that some of the folks are tourists just accepting something that is familiar to them, but that doesn't explain all the locals.

This reminds me of a spring break trip I took with some friends to St. Petersburg back in the early 80's. One of my friends had access to an empty condo in St. Pete (free lodging) where we figured we could vacation on the cheap, since we would mostly just be hitting the beaches all day anyway. We asked many people (mostly retirees) around town where to get good fish. Every frickin' one of them said Red Lobster. We finally decided there must be something different about the Red Lobster there and went. Same consistently mediocre crap as everywhere else. Truly a mystery...
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/02/28 21:10:26 (permalink)
I was in NH in the 70's with a French friend. We had driven from Pgh. and didn't have a CLUE as where to eat. We saw this.....um......."portly" gentleman out tending to his roses. I put on my BEST French accent and explained "Ve ahr frum Frahce." And asked for a good recommendation for a lobster place. Well, this kindly, portly, gent sent us to this place where you picked out your lobster (2 lbs. and up), they cooked it and served it to you with all the fixins'. Cheap too! BYOB. We were in lobster heaven! SCORE! We ate there 3 times!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/02/28 21:58:14 (permalink)
Ah, you found the secret, lleechef!! I think all the folks who told us to go to Red Lobster were skinny. I'll keep this in mind if the occasion ever arises again...
pappy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/03/14 23:14:32 (permalink)
Red Lobster......horrid place and one we shall not return to. I have eaten better fare and Captain D's on the fly. At least the shrimp at Captain D's was hot and crispy. Not soggy and tasteles as is the food at Red Lobster. To us, Red Lobster is a joke. Since we are landlocked here in Tennessee, we will go to WalMart super center and buy whole fresh lobsters along with a couple of pounds of shrimp, and simply fix a meal at home with friends all chipping in to help with the preparation. Always, comes out so well. And what fun too.
No, we will not be back to RL again.

Pappy
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1511
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/03/16 13:49:17 (permalink)
For the most part, I'll leave it! The Fresno Red Lobster suffers alot from overcooking! There is alot of dry fish and seafood here..but those biscuits are sheer heaven!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/03/16 14:14:42 (permalink)
I will take it, circumstantially. While there are a number of seafood restaurants around Cincinnati, most of them are rather upscale/pricey, we're talking over 25 a plate pricey. Generally, you can get out of RL at about 10-13 a plate unless you opt for the top-priced selections.

Let me also add that the other seafood restaurants (other than your LJS's and your Capn' D's) in this area are far less family friendly. My 1 and 2 year olds don't look forward to any meal except Mac N Cheese, but I do need the restaurant I take them to have such choices as well as highchairs and etc. I don't doubt that in other areas of the country there are better family-friendly seafood choices, but I don't think you'll find theose in Cincinnati - at least, not that I know of.
hollyshat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/03/23 21:14:34 (permalink)
I recently ate at a Red Lobster for the first time in Michigan. I cannot honestly say I would ever go back. The wait was 1/2 an hour, the server practically pushed us out the door seconds after being seated and the food was all right. Shrimp, scallops, lobster and crab was all new to me, but I gave it a try anyhow (big fish fan). I found most of it to be tasty, but at Red Lobster all you get is a taste. $25 for a meal, and I was still hungry. Seriouly, a Big Mac meal has more food to it!
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/03/23 23:09:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by KimChee43

Dear Friends:

I've seen a variety of "chain restaurants" generate some lively discussion on this site. I'd like to know what you think about my favorite "chain", Red Lobster. Whenever we're on the road, we know that the food will be pretty much consistent, no matter which part of the country we happen to be visiting. I think that their Lobster/Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are great. The cheddar biscuits are very good. But, I find that my broiled fish, steamed veggies, and rice pilaf are very salty. Otherwise, good libations, fairly good desserts, pretty good service. By the way, just about EVERY Red Lobster I've ever visited, no matter what the location, has a long wait for tables during semi-peak and peak times. Do you find that true as well? What do you think of the food? Thanks for the input!

KimChee

It's been a few years since I've been to the Lobster... I've found much better food at hole in the wall seafood joints here in town (and I'd rather support a local place then a chain - not to mention save some $$ in my pocket). Talking with one of our mechanics, he said he's been there a couple times in the last year and was totally disappointed with the food quality and breaking his "bank"... Guess after his "remarks" he has no plans on returning either...
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/03/24 07:28:11 (permalink)
I saw this story about Red Lobster on the news last week and forgot to post it. Maybe people go to Red Lobster for the "All you can eat" promotions.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040319/ap_on_bi_ge/darden_promotions_4
familydok
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 234
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/03/29 10:51:56 (permalink)
I live at the coast but do enjoy Red Lobster when I am on the road and want a cheap and filling lunch. I only get their all you can eat-salad (blue cheese dressing),cheese biscuits and soup (chowder or gumbo)-not bad at all for the price!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7898
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/03/29 11:07:48 (permalink)
The last time I stepped foot in Red Lobster was when I was visiting my mother and brother in Albany and was "forced" to go. It was just as dissapointing as usual. Thankfully this was over 4 years ago!
sdwis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/04/09 19:17:54 (permalink)
Red Lobster is in my opinion one step above Long John Silver's or Captain D's, but as others have said better than Joe's Crab Shack. I my area it's not the first thing people think of when they want seafood.

I have been to cities where it is considered elegant though. In one midwestern city, couples go there as a 'fancy date' or even before proms, and drive up in limousines (guess they just don't know any better). I had the terrible experience of having lunch at a Red Lobster in Denver about 15 years ago, which made me gravely ill. It was the worst flounder I've ever had. It must have been old. It taught me the lesson of not ordering seafood in landlocked places ever again.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/04/09 21:20:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sdwis

...In one midwestern city, couples go there as a 'fancy date' or even before proms, and drive up in limousines (guess they just don't know any better)...

Sorry but I can't let that one go by. Maybe as an adult in Florida the seafood choices can be evaluated on a different set of guidelines, So that one's taste buds combined with the other things important to a pleasant eating experience can really be looked at carefully.
BUT, I think It is fair guess that when a 17 year old takes his date out to dinner prior to attending "THE PROM" in dad's car or a Limo, one of the last things on his mind is the quality of the fish he is getting. Hell, I'll bet even Oysters aren't on his mind!! And remember many of the cities away from the coast do not have much in the way of choices for fresh high quality seafood. Just as the folks on the coast don't begin to use a Buffalo for all the things it could be on a menu. To label that teenage Prom Goer as ignorant is unfair. Sometimes ya gotta make do with what ya got !!
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/04/09 21:26:57 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

...In one midwestern city, couples go there as a 'fancy date' or even before proms, and drive up in limousines (guess they just don't know any better)...

Sorry but I can't let that one go by. Maybe as an adult in Florida the seafood choices can be evaluated on a different set of guidelines, So that one's taste buds combined with the other things important to a pleasant eating experience can really be looked at carefully.
BUT, I think It is fair guess that when a 17 year old takes his date out to dinner prior to attending "THE PROM" in dad's car or a Limo, one of the last things on his mind is the quality of the fish he is getting. Hell, I'll bet even Oysters aren't on his mind!! And remember many of the cities away from the coast do not have much in the way of choices for fresh high quality seafood. Just as the folks on the coast don't begin to use a Buffalo for all the things it could be on a menu. To label that teenage Prom Goer as ignorant is unfair. Sometimes ya gotta make do with what ya got !!

Very well spoken, Mr. Mayor!
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/04/09 22:02:56 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Mayor,

Not knowing any better is ignorance, it is not saying they are stupid.

Cakes
sbpressman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/04/09 23:30:19 (permalink)
quote:
Whenever we're on the road, we know that the food will be pretty much consistent, no matter which part of the country we happen to be visiting.

With all due respect, I think this is the mindset which is leading to the homogenization of America. I don't want every town to have the same stores in the same malls and the same food in the same restaurants. Regional mom and pop joints are getting harder and harder to find. I have never and won't go to a Red Lobster or Olive Garden because of this and because it is apparent that the food is prepared "factory style" -- no individuality. (I make and exception for places like Legal Seafood because the food is clearly freshly made by real cooks).

All that said, I live on Long Island, NY, and it simply isn't true that seafood restaurants are abundant in either NYC or Long Island. You can get it from a seafood store, but there just aren't that many seafood restaurants -- particularly inexpensive fish joints.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/04/10 11:07:54 (permalink)
sbpressman -- There is not much cheap about NYC and Long Island -- especially in the way of a good steakhouse or "fish joint" (I like that phrase!). I travel a lot, and there are times when the chain is, believe it or not, better than the unknown. I have been in some scary places without the ability to research in advance. I can usually find a safe enough choice (sometimes the stomach is your guide) at a Bennigan's or Chili's. The difference between those places, and Red Lobster, in my mind, is that I am looking for "safe" choices there...not exceptional food. I live on the coast of Florida and have no trouble finding good seafood places, which is why when on the road, I can safely avoid Red Lobster -- heck, I'll just wait until I get home and have GOOD seafood.

My usual rule of the road for chains is that I won't go to a chain that I have here at home -- which specifically excludes such fine establishments as Cheesecake Factory, Tony Roma's (sometimes you just ain't in BBQ country). Beyond that, I, too, look for the local establishments -- just don't care for Red Lobster.

Steve
shanklemsw
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/05/26 19:22:05 (permalink)
There's a Red Lobster in North Charleston-I refuse to go for all the same reasons Sushi Girl does. No shrimp is better than crummy shrimp.
shanklemsw
Cheeseburger
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/05/26 19:23:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

I never cease tsk-tsking and clucking with disapproval at the fact that Red Lobsters and Olive Gardens thrive in places that have really good, inexpensive seafood restaurants and great Italian places, too. On the other hand, friends do the same at me when they know I'd rather have a chili dog and French fries than a plate of glass eels with toasted sesame emulsion. If only everybody was exactly the same as I, the world would be such a better place!
shanklemsw
Cheeseburger
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/05/26 19:24:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

I never cease tsk-tsking and clucking with disapproval at the fact that Red Lobsters and Olive Gardens thrive in places that have really good, inexpensive seafood restaurants and great Italian places, too. On the other hand, friends do the same at me when they know I'd rather have a chili dog and French fries than a plate of glass eels with toasted sesame emulsion. If only everybody was exactly the same as I, the world would be such a better place!

If only everybody in the world did exactly as I said, we'd all be perfect lol!
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Red Lobster--Take It or Leave It? 2004/05/26 23:48:01 (permalink)
Leave it. It was great when we first discovered it back in the 70's, but it's gone steadily downhill ever since. The last one I ate at was in Tulsa in 1997. My lonely waitress tried to get me to go home with her and I've still never gone back.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1