Red Robin

Author
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
2003/09/27 20:33:12 (permalink)

Red Robin

Best burger I ever had. And that's saying something. They mostly just do burgers, really, but you can get pasta dishes if you really must. They have boca burgers for the meat-disadvantaged, as well.

But the best burger I ever had was their Banzai Burger. It's marinated in teriyaki, with grilled pineapple and cheddar cheese. Nummy. Extremely nummy.

The only odd thing is their doneness scale. They don't mess about with "medium", "medium-rare", etc. It's "pink" or "no pink." This is either because they can't be bothered with minor variations, or they're worried about the health department coming down on them for serving anything rarer than medium-rare. Which is apparently how "pink" is defined.

Still. Fabulous burger. Fabulous.

24 Replies Related Threads

CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Red Robin 2003/09/28 00:09:33 (permalink)
    I won't go as far as saying it's the best burger I ever had, but I really enjoy Red Robin's burgers. I also love their tower of onion rings made from Walla Walla onions. Took my kids who are very picky when it comes to burgers and they both loved the burgers they ordered at the closest Red Robin to us.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Red Robin 2003/09/28 00:33:28 (permalink)
    And the bottomless basket of fries......
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: Red Robin 2003/09/28 05:11:26 (permalink)
    The only time I go to Red Robin is when I feel the need to get really, really drunk during dinner
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: Red Robin 2003/09/28 10:11:04 (permalink)
    I've avoided Red Robin for the same obvious reasons I avoid the other chains. But unlike the other chains, I've never actually tried Red Robin. Burgers are typically abysmal in my town so the thought of a decent, convenient buger (that I don't have to cook myself) is attractive. But what's up with the doneness thing? Is it a policy or is it because the burgers are pre-cooked and the 17-year-old "Chef" doesn't know how to cook a medium-rare burger from scratch?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18665
    RE: Red Robin 2003/09/28 13:33:27 (permalink)
    I've ordered rare and medium rare burgers at Red Robin. It's never been a problem. While my grandson has tried most of the hamburgers on their menu, the only one I ever order is the one with grilled onions.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Red Robin 2003/09/28 17:01:49 (permalink)
    Many restaurants are so paranoid about food poisoning they won't serve burgers anything less than medium.
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: Red Robin 2003/09/28 20:55:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

Many restaurants are so paranoid about food poisoning they won't serve burgers anything less than medium.

Our town even has a local ordinance against serving any hamburger with the word "rare" in it. You can order a steak any way you want it -- even a chopped steak -- which seems kind of absurd to me.

So the drill at my local Charcoal Grill is to order a chopped steak medium rare with a toasted, buttered hambuger bun on the side. That keeps it legal but I pay more for it that way.

ooooh, how ironic! This was my 50th post - I just became a "Hamburger"!
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Red Robin 2003/09/28 23:58:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chumley

quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

Our town even has a local ordinance against serving any hamburger with the word "rare" in it. You can order a steak any way you want it -- even a chopped steak -- which seems kind of absurd to me.

So the drill at my local Charcoal Grill is to order a chopped steak medium rare with a toasted, buttered hambuger bun on the side. That keeps it legal but I pay more for it that way.

It's the grinder that's to blame for most problems, which is why rare steak is OK, but hamburger is not. If you like rare burgers, they even recommend you chop it yourself in your food processor instead of letting the market grind it. Congrats on the rite of passage!
    wesza
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Red Robin 2003/10/02 23:44:29 (permalink)
    RED ROBIN: Very mediocre "Patty's". Cooked So So. French Fries worst of all, not the best quality frozen. Waaaaay, overrated. All they've got to offer is good locations. Irwin
    Penoose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Red Robin 2003/10/08 01:36:10 (permalink)
    Solid burger for a chain restaurant, but it certainly won't change your life.

I always found the atmosphere at Red Robin to be obnoxious. That whole contrived effort to be zany...I dunno...I blame Bennigan's...

Never trust a place that advertises "fun and food" in that order. I mean, I like alligators wearing sunglasses and hubcaps on the walls for no apparent reason as much as the next guy...but I come to eat.

P.j.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Red Robin 2004/10/12 01:54:43 (permalink)
    We finally got around to trying the Red Robin in Milford, Ohio, on Sunday night. None of us could figure out what all the fuss was over. I've had better burgers at Sonic, not to mention Fuddrucker's. Can't say the value was there either. Two burgers for my wife and I and two kid's meals, a nacho appetizer, three drinks, and two shakes came out to $52+. YEE-OWW! Not my kind of place. Looks nice, but we had to ask for silverware and napkins, ask for refills, and scrounge around for a pen to sign the check with. If this was a new place, I'd say growing pains, but it's been there a good while. Live and learn. Next time I'll choose and I'll go with Zip's, the Wooster Tavern, the Main Street Cafe, or Salem Gardens. (Salem Gardens was my first choice, but I got outvoted.)
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: Red Robin 2004/10/12 08:20:17 (permalink)
    Haven't been to Main Street Cafe in Newtown yet.

What's the good word?
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Red Robin 2004/10/12 10:00:05 (permalink)
    We have one that just opened and I have been wanting to try it.They also had rave reviews for the teriyaki burger but I just dont know about pineapple on my burger,dont like it on my Pizza either.And here in good ole North Cakilaky they wont let them cook them rare or med.rare,So I will find out and give you my review.
    mtbuckingham
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Red Robin 2004/10/12 10:28:18 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure this was the place I went to about 3 years ago- got some kind of teriyaki burger (no pineapple- I'm not a fan of pineapple), and it came out SWIMMING in goopy teriyaki and (ugh) mayonaise. Mayo! Gobs of it! Swirling with the gobs of teriyaki! My stomach still churns when I think about it.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Red Robin 2004/10/12 11:39:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chumley

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by EliseT

Congrats on your milestone!
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Red Robin 2004/10/12 23:45:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Haven't been to Main Street Cafe in Newtown yet.

What's the good word?

We liked it. It's on par with the Wooster Tavern. I missed out on the sweet potato fries because I didn't see them when I ordered. I noticed a plateful going past and rechecked the menu, but by then it was too late. Nothing fancy, but it beat the tar out of Red Robin.
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Red Robin 2004/10/12 23:46:07 (permalink)
    Went to my first RedRobin last month in Seattle. I was hungry and it was a little late so what the heck. It was really dissapointing--bland,so-so burger and too expensive too.Hated to waste a meal in that great food town.
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Red Robin 2004/10/13 21:35:17 (permalink)
    I ate at the one in Appleton Wisconsin. It was a good burger though some may not like the noisy atmosphere. That said, there are a lot of places here in Northeast Wisconsin where you can just as good if not a better burger for less $. Cinderz comes to mind. So does Culvers,The Checkered Flag and some of the other local bar and grills.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Red Robin 2004/10/16 20:02:57 (permalink)
    IMO, the best thing about Red Robin is the atmosphere. (the pretty stained-glass lamps over each table, etc.)........NOT the burgers.

I've been there about 3 or 4 times.....when I lived in Los Angeles area they were attached to a good number of shopping malls.

I really WANTED it to be better than it really was...(if that makes any sense.) Cause I liked all the cute catchy-named alcoholic drinks, like "birds nest" type of names.

but the truth is, I thought their burger was just OK..........good and messy but not prepared out of the ordinary (steamed taste , with just a drop of charcoal)......and the roll was so "crumby" (stale)it literally fell apart when I picked up the burger. I mentioned this to the server, and I must say that they were so cool, that they ended up "comping" my whole meal! (even my fancy drinks). The service has always been friendly, but the food tastes too much "cookie cutter" chain to me.
    Lunza
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Red Robin 2004/10/17 18:30:03 (permalink)
    I've eaten at three different Red Robins, all in California -- Yuba City, Redding and Coalinga -- and while none of them were so stunning that I'd say OMG you HAVE to eat there, none of them were as bad as some people are reporting. I guess there's franchisees and then there's franchisees.

Dang ... now I'm going to have to find one. ;)
    RockyB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Red Robin 2004/10/18 17:57:36 (permalink)
    One opened near us in Wilkes-Barre,PA about a year ago. It sounded like a good place, but I found it to be pretty mediocre, although the place is ALWAYS busy. I did enjoy the bottomless steak fries. They seemed to be pretty good. I don't care for the fact that they serve Pepsi either. No Coke..such a waste.
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: Red Robin 2004/10/24 11:19:25 (permalink)
    Yeah, I have to admit that the Pepsi thing annoys me. I'm definitely a Diet Coke kinda gal. Diet Pepsi turns my stomach. On the other hand, there are folks who drink nothing else. ::shrug::

Did like the Banzi Burger, though.
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Red Robin 2004/10/31 04:17:35 (permalink)
    And I am the other way. I get annoyed when a place only has Coke products. Coke is too tart for me and it can give me a heachache.
    elswinger
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Red Robin 2004/11/17 16:48:10 (permalink)
    I love Red Robin. I just got back from eating at the very first one today.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=5282
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1