The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Red Robin vs. Five Guys

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 52 of 52
NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Mon, 02/1/10 11:43 AM (permalink)
So far it is the same in our area  of southwest Ohio as it is in your hometown  as far as  robins - the first time I learned Red Robin existed was when a friend from the Dayton area chose it as a place for a lunch get together a couple of years ago - on my birthday!  Yech!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Mon, 02/1/10 11:46 AM (permalink)
    Except for the pickled eggs on the bar that you didn't mention, and the bartender who drives cab during the day that you did mention,  you just described about ten of my favorite hangouts in Connecticut. Two of them also had the best lasagna and corned beef and cabbage in the world.

And a shot and a beer for a buck wasn't bad, either.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
      Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Mon, 02/1/10 11:57 AM (permalink)
      Michael Hoffman

Except for the pickled eggs on the bar that you didn't mention, and the bartender who drives cab during the day that you did mention,  you just described about ten of my favorite hangouts in Connecticut. Two of them also had the best lasagna and corned beef and cabbage in the world.

And a shot and a beer for a buck wasn't bad, either.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the Pickled Eggs! In my Youth, I worked the "Hoot Owl" shift in a factory. 100 yards from the plant gate there was a Tavern like what we're talking about. When the 7AM whistle blew, there would be a stream of old timers who would make a B-Line for the Saloon for a Shot & a Beer, (Boilermakers), before heading home. Ahh, the memories!

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
        Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Mon, 02/1/10 12:04 PM (permalink)
        Five Guys wins the Burger Challenge hands down. Not only does the meat taste far superior but the bun and fries are better as well. Plus you can get grilled onions at 5 guys done the right way. Price wise it is no comparison. Five people can easily eat for the price of two at Red Robin. I think the meat is died red at Red Robin because the burger texture is not that of medium meat and it lacks moisture....Russ

Plus the Fries at 5 Guys are just potatoes nothing else which is the way I like them.

IntelligentT82

• Total Posts: 125
          Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Mon, 02/1/10 12:56 PM (permalink)
          Thanx for all the responses, RF peoples.  I just asked because I told my friend I would ask and see the results.  It looks like you guys think Five Guys is a better burger, but you get better customization of your burger at Red Robin.  Kool kool.  Well, I still gotta try Red Robin soon to compare.

claracamille - I love Steak N Shake too.  Now that I think about it, I'm not sure which one I like better, Steak N Shake or Five Guys.  I haven't been to a Steak N Shake in so long because I live in the DC area now.   I love the Frisco Melt when I do go though

ellen4641 and cameron074 - I need to try Elevation Burger too.  I love a place that has all natural ingredients and I heard Elevation does.  We have one in the DC area across the bridge from me on the National Harbor in Oxon Hill, MD.  I'm gonna have to go over there one day and try it out.
          I'll keep all yall updated...
          <message edited by IntelligentT82 on Mon, 02/1/10 12:58 PM>

IntelligentT82

Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Mon, 02/1/10 2:09 PM (permalink)
            Okay picture comparation time...I had to do it

First off Five Guys - look at that cheese

Secondly Red Robin - umm can we say plain jane..anyone have a better picture of Red Robin please post

and Last but not least Elevation Burger - Organic ingredients is a plus...looks good too

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
              Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Mon, 02/1/10 2:15 PM (permalink)
              the Elevation Burger does look better.

I haven't been to the National Harbor, yet. Waiting for good weather and I'll take the boat from SW Waterfront.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Mon, 02/1/10 2:19 PM (permalink)
                No Photos available, but since we are adding some 'outsiders' to the comparison... Our current 'pick of the heap' favorite for drive-thru and run is the Rally's Double BBQ Bacon Burger Combo.  First thing...it reminds me of the Carl's Jr Western Bacon Burger...Lots of Bacon, Sweet BBQ Sauce and a couple of big Onion Rings in place of the wimpy lettuce and pickle which I tend to ignore anyway. Plus I like the Rally Seasoned FF's and now they will add a shot of cherry to their Cokes on Request. A Large Combo is $5.99. Beats the prices at 5 Guys by a little and Red Robin by a MILE !!

IntelligentT82

Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Mon, 02/1/10 2:20 PM (permalink)
                  Scorereader

the Elevation Burger does look better.

I haven't been to the National Harbor, yet. Waiting for good weather and I'll take the boat from SW Waterfront.

I've been over there a few times.  Ate at the McCormick and Schmick's which was pretty good.  Don't eat at the Public House.  Their food was good but the service was TERRIBLE.  I wanna try the Rosa Mexicano and Ketchup next...after Elevation of course. lol

IntelligentT82

Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Mon, 02/1/10 2:23 PM (permalink)
                    mayor al

No Photos available, but since we are adding some 'outsiders' to the comparison... Our current 'pick of the heap' favorite for drive-thru and run is the Rally's Double BBQ Bacon Burger Combo.  First thing...it reminds me of the Carl's Jr Western Bacon Burger...Lots of Bacon, Sweet BBQ Sauce and a couple of big Onion Rings in place of the wimpy lettuce and pickle which I tend to ignore anyway. Plus I like the Rally Seasoned FF's and now they will add a shot of cherry to their Cokes on Request. A Large Combo is $5.99. Beats the prices at 5 Guys by a little and Red Robin by a MILE !!

Yea I like Checkers/Rally's but not better than Five Guys.  I've never had that Double BBQ Bacon Burger though.  Maybe they only have those at Rally's and not Checker's...you know they're the same company?

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                      Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Mon, 02/1/10 2:59 PM (permalink)
                      Checker's is horrible - at least the one near Cap Hill on Maryland Ave NE. Bleack!

Is that Mackey's Publick House?

Never been to a McCormicks. Had my chance when my office was under renovation so we were shipped to Crystal City for 15 months. Two good things at CC - 1) King Street Blues. Pulled pork sandwich is good, happy hour was a blast. 2) Chipotle - the best Chipoltle in the DC metro area.

There's a Mackey's in Crystal City, wasn't sure if they expanded to National Harbor.

I still say the best burger in DC is at Clyde's.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Mon, 02/1/10 8:08 PM (permalink)
                        Yeah they both use the same containers and wrappers. I don't know if they serve the same menu items. We don't have any 'Checkers' in this area. Rally's is strictly a drive-thru and go operation. Maybe a few picnic tables near the parking area and a walk-up window, but NO waiting room or restrooms etc.

Soccer862923

• Total Posts: 208
                          Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Tue, 02/2/10 7:58 AM (permalink)
                          NYPIzzaNut

So far it is the same in our area  of southwest Ohio as it is in your hometown  as far as  robins - the first time I learned Red Robin existed was when a friend from the Dayton area chose it as a place for a lunch get together a couple of years ago - on my birthday!  Yech!

And you consider this person a friend, still??? Haha.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Tue, 02/2/10 8:18 AM (permalink)
                            Soccer862923

NYPIzzaNut

And you consider this person a friend, still??? Haha.

She has many redeeming qualities.

glenda Palmer

• Total Posts: 30
                              Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Tue, 02/2/10 8:57 AM (permalink)
                              There is no comparison.  Five Guys has the best hamburger I have had since the drive in days of the 50's.  Their fries are just as good.  Nothing spectacular about Red Robin, just another hamb urger joint.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Tue, 02/2/10 12:32 PM (permalink)
                                That person that made the 5 Guy Burger in the picture should be ashamed. No reason to smash or assemble product in such a way. I am going to ask them not to smash my burger when they wrap it next time. Dont even bother taking a  guys to go because by the time you get it there it has steamed so much that the bun is too wet. I wonder if you could ask them not to wrap it?...Russ

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Tue, 02/2/10 2:52 PM (permalink)
                                  Russ Jackson

That person that made the 5 Guy Burger in the picture should be ashamed. No reason to smash or assemble product in such a way. I am going to ask them not to smash my burger when they wrap it next time. Dont even bother taking a  guys to go because by the time you get it there it has steamed so much that the bun is too wet. I wonder if you could ask them not to wrap it?...Russ

Russ are you saying Five Guys is your favorite fast food hamburger chain?

louisvilleCraig

• Total Posts: 36
                                    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Tue, 02/2/10 4:25 PM (permalink)
                                    Since this IS the place to talk about it...Checkers AND Rallys are ALMOST exactly the same...but in menu name only...the only real difference I can see is the name of the Rally's "Rallyburger" and the Checkers "Champburger"...exactly the same burger, just 2 different names...and actually when you go to their website, it has 2 different sections for "Checkers Menu" and "Rallys Menu" but when you click on either one, it goes only to the Checkers Menu...

either way, for cheap eats, its all good....

IntelligentT82

Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Tue, 02/2/10 7:47 PM (permalink)
                                      Scorereader

Checker's is horrible - at least the one near Cap Hill on Maryland Ave NE. Bleack!

Is that Mackey's Publick House?

Never been to a McCormicks. Had my chance when my office was under renovation so we were shipped to Crystal City for 15 months. Two good things at CC - 1) King Street Blues. Pulled pork sandwich is good, happy hour was a blast. 2) Chipotle - the best Chipoltle in the DC metro area.

There's a Mackey's in Crystal City, wasn't sure if they expanded to National Harbor.

I still say the best burger in DC is at Clyde's.

I work in Crystal City too. lol  I just went to that Chipotle on Crystal Drive like 2 hours ago for dinner. lol

db1105

• Total Posts: 185
                                        Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Fri, 02/5/10 9:51 PM (permalink)
                                        Both places make horrible burgers.

IntelligentT82

Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Mon, 02/8/10 6:12 PM (permalink)
                                          db1105

Both places make horrible burgers.

WHAT!! Are you serious?  So, I'd like to know what place makes better burgers then and I'll travel to it and be the judge...(as long as it's on the east coast near DC area) lol

IntelligentT82

Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys Tue, 02/16/10 4:17 PM (permalink)
                                            Okay.  Here's the results, folks.  I visited the Red Robin in Fayetteville, NC over the weekend.  I wish I had a camera phone.  I got the Monster burger.  It was perfect.  More meaty patties on the burger, toppings were put on it in perfect amounts, and the meat was cooked exactly how I asked it to be cooked.  The server was so friendly and my food came out very quickly.  Sorry to say but I think Red Robin passed by Five Guys now in the Hamburger race. 

Here's a picture of someone elses Monster Burger (the lettuce gets in the way of the potential juiciness of this photo lol)

<message edited by IntelligentT82 on Tue, 02/16/10 4:18 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                              Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 52 of 52

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com