Red Robin vs. Five Guys

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
IntelligentT82
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
2010/01/22 14:55:02 (permalink)

Red Robin vs. Five Guys

I was talking with a friend of mine about which one is better, Five Guys or Red Robin?  I wanted to see what everyone on here thought about it.  Need your imput please...

51 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18860
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/22 15:02:04 (permalink)
    Well, at Red Robin you can get your burger cooked the way you want it. Of course, you have to put up with the kids and the noise -- and the outrageous prices for drinks.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/22 15:03:31 (permalink)
    I think the prices at Red Robin for anything is outrageous - never been to 5 boys.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/22 15:34:01 (permalink)
    This is another 'Apples and Oranges' comparison in my book. 5 Guys has a very limited menu and zero ambience. Get in line, get your Burger and sit, or leave... The Burgers are good, but it isn't a place to go to sit, relax, and enjoy a meal...Eat and keep moving  seems to be the premise. BTW I don't consider that to be a bad thing.

Red Robin on the other hand is a sit-down and read the menu, order thru the hired help and wait for your food. Comparing it to Ruby Tuesdays or Applebee's would be a more equal match. I also think it is over-priced and the few I have been in have been extremly LOUD with cramped seating areas. I won't go to a Red Robin again.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/22 15:41:46 (permalink)
    mayor al

This is another 'Apples and Oranges' comparison in my book. 5 Guys has a very limited menu and zero ambience. Get in line, get your Burger and sit, or leave... The Burgers are good, but it isn't a place to go to sit, relax, and enjoy a meal...Eat and keep moving  seems to be the premise. BTW I don't consider that to be a bad thing.

Red Robin on the other hand is a sit-down and read the menu, order thru the hired help and wait for your food. Comparing it to Ruby Tuesdays or Applebee's would be a more equal match. I also think it is over-priced and the few I have been in have been extremly LOUD with cramped seating areas. I won't go to a Red Robin again.
    I went to Red Robin around Dayton on my birthday with my lunchbunch several years ago and all I remember is lots of commotion and noise and expensive food that did not taste like much.  We have a rule about not going to chain restaurants but somehow this turkey slipped into our itinerary!

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18860
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/22 15:50:50 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

I think the prices at Red Robin for anything is outrageous - never been to 5 boys.

Did you price the listed milk shakes? Last time I was at a Red Robin, with my grandson, his cost $3.50, and his lemonade cost the same. My coffee was a mere $1.65 or so.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/22 15:56:02 (permalink)
    I truly wonder how and why they stay in business.
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/23 09:11:25 (permalink)
    never been to a Red Robin & from everything I've read I don't want to.not saying I never will.
    theres a Red Robin & a 5 Guys opening soon at a new shopping area nearby.
     the first place I'm going is 5 Guys, after they get the griddle broken in of course.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2767
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/23 09:41:26 (permalink)
    For all the effort that Red Robin goes to in order to come up with creative burger choices, it can never cover up that burger.  I find the patty of beef under all of those toppings to be the texture of a hockey puck (no offense to hockey pucks).
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/23 12:25:44 (permalink)
    I second what Mayor Al said, that you can't really ask "Which one is better"? If you want to compare some of the simpler hamburger or side order menu items, that could be done. The only burger I  ever had at a Red Robin was their Goumet Cheeseburger. You can get the same toppings at Two Guys. I actually enjoy a similarly loaded Five Guys burger (at a well-run franchise) better than the Red Robin burger I had. Like JRPfeff, I didn't care for the texture of the burger. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the burger reminded me of those pre-formed fresh hamburger patties you find in supermarkets with that funny-atmosphere packaging. Some of those brands mix something in to retain the color of the meat. Even if you cook them a long time, they still appear pink in the middle.

We have a long-running discussion on Red Robin:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=137100&high=red+robin
    Red Robin was one of those places where I felt I did not get value for money.
    fattybomatty
    • Total Posts : 1017
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/23 14:18:07 (permalink)
    I agree with JRP that red robin's actual burger patty sucks.  It's all about toppings at that place and the endless basket of fries.  I'm usually not big on toppings for my burger so Red Robin is really not the place for me
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/24 05:56:48 (permalink)
    sk bob

never been to a Red Robin & from everything I've read I don't want to.not saying I never will.
     the first place I'm going is 5 Guys, after they get the griddle broken in of course.

The menu for the Port Orange location is online:

http://www.redrobin.com/menu/default.aspx?loc=6652&mnu=RRGB-STND

$8.79 for a cheeseburger.

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3751
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/24 09:48:50 (permalink)
    I have been to each of these places once and choose never to go to either one again.   The one thing that I can say about Red Robin is that they do cook your hamburger the way you would like it.  The  team of young basketball girls that I went with loved the bottomless baskets of french fries.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/24 11:28:17 (permalink)
    While I like Five Guys burgers & fries(great fresh cut fries)  better than Red Robin, I feel both places are way over priced.

Here in Indianapolis, we have Steak & Shake, 96th St Steakburgers(great fresh cut fries), Working Man's Friend(great burgers, great atmosphere, big schooners of draft beer, out of the way, but worth the trip), Nickel Plate Grill,Bub's Burgers & Ice Cream, Mug & Bun.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1035
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/24 18:08:18 (permalink)
    I like Red Robin. Then again, the girl I'm seeing works there, so I may be biased.

But, I did have the same burger in the picture above the other day. Didn't look anything like that, but it was pretty good.
    sk bob
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/24 22:00:38 (permalink)
    you should be ASeamuseD of yourself for admiting that.
     MiamiDon, that still doesn't look as good as a Brickyard burger does in real life.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/25 00:46:54 (permalink)
    When my girls were 7 & 9 we took PP and her oldest sister to Red Robin for her b'day dinner, her choice.

As we were leaving it was raining pretty good, Kay, her sister, started the McDonald's commercial bit of walk,walk waddle, waddle. To this day, 20+ years later we still embaress PP with this.
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 634
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/25 04:12:07 (permalink)
    My neice adores Red Robin for some reason (she's 25) and my buddy just said he went to one the other day and enjoyed the burger. I just know its going to be like an Applebees experience and i'm half afraid to go, but the wife and kids are bugging me. Guess i'll report back.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/25 07:18:29 (permalink)
    Five Guys burgers and fries are much better than Red Robin. Red Robin isn't bad, but not worth price. Five Guys is. Red Robin uses frozen beef, Five Guys uses fresh.
    collinf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 165
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/25 10:10:31 (permalink)
    I think mayor al's points are all good.

For the burger, go to 5 guys.  For the fries and ambiance (somewhat loud) go to Red Robin.

Both are over priced.

I'm not a fan of 5 Guys fries because I found them to be too soggy and greasy, so Red Robin would be my preferred choice if all I wanted were french fries.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1035
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/25 10:18:29 (permalink)
    sk bob

you should be ASeamuseD of yourself for admiting that.

Groan!
    I'm not ashamed, because I really don't think RR is terrible... but I agree on the prices and that you can get a way better burger other places. We don't have 5 Guys around here so I can't make the comparison to that.
    Soccer862923
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 208
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/25 10:40:04 (permalink)
    In my opinion those two burgers are two totally different beasts and you really can't compare them to one another in a fashion that I would consider "fair".

The 5 Guys burger is a fastfood style burger that can not be predominantly cooked to order but you can customize it to your hearts content. The amount of beef within the burger is far less than that of a Red Robin burger so the meat to bread ratio is much different as well.

The Red Robin burger comes in a define set of ways in which you can order with a few variations on the ingredients here and there. As well you can customize the temperature with which it is cooked, although in my opinion there options are limited to temperature beyond what I would like my burger.

In their respective categories I would find that 5 Guys is my favorite fast food style, while I do not like, ranked very low on the list of Pub/Restaruant style burgers, Red Robin burgers based upon the inability to get mine cooked the way that I like it.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/26 00:05:43 (permalink)
    A Red Robin opened up where Johnny Carino's used to be, in my AC area...
    ......I agree with almost all the points mentioned here by other posters !!!!!
    Yes, John Fox, frozen beef, although they claim "fresh"  , whatever that means to them...
    Yes, DavidNYC, something "funny" about their meat.... preformed, texture is wierd, etc...

It's a shame, cuz it's such a pretty place, what a waste !!

And I agree, Mayor Al, "apples vs. oranges"...

Try "Elevation Burger" if it's near any of you Roadfooders...
    went to the one in Wynnewood, PA, outside of Philly, last week, and had a nice fresh burger...   and my bf said he liked it even better than 5 Guys, (and he loves 5 Guys!)
    cameron074
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/28 20:14:39 (permalink)
    ellen4641
     Try "Elevation Burger" if it's near any of you Roadfooders...
    went to the one in Wynnewood, PA, outside of Philly, last week, and had a nice fresh burger...   and my bf said he liked it even better than 5 Guys, (and he loves 5 Guys!)

I saw an Elevation Burger when I was in Montclair, NJ recently. Didn't get to try it but I'm definitely intrigued. 
    sk bob
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/29 20:31:22 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

sk bob

every burger except that is over $9.00. are you kidding me?

2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/31 00:49:46 (permalink)
    Again, like the pizza thing Red Robin was OK but noisy and I would have to say expensive. There are quite a few local places that do it WAY better here than the chains for cheaper. Tonight was an example. Got a 1 pound burger with cheese and bacon at a bar and grill that was to die for. I had to bring a little of it home. Nothing like having the juices dripping out of it and it was made just the way I wanted it. Real beef. It didnt get any better than that. No need to mess with a chain here.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/01/31 12:00:58 (permalink)
    sk bob

MiamiDon

sk bob

every burger except that is over $9.00. are you kidding me?

I find it hard to believe folks go there - what possesses them?

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10353
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/02/01 02:56:50 (permalink)
    And the Final Score is:
    Red Robin - 0
    5 Guys - 0

SOLUTION:
    Find a good local joint where is smells like stale beer when you walk in the door. Poorly lit, with most of the lighting coming from the neon beer signs. A Jar of Pickled Pigs Feet on the Bar. Also a jar of Penrose Sausages. One 19" non-HD TV with Aluminum Foil-wrapped Rabbit Ears over in the corner, Not plugged in right now. A Grumpy Bartender who drives a taxi during the day, a waitress who smokes 2 packs a day and is at least 50 years old who calls you Darlin.
    AND  serves Fresh Cold Draft Beer AND has Reasonable Prices! AND makes a Great Hamburger/Cheeseburger

I'm from Western PA. - St. Marys, PA Does it show?? (Home of Straubs Beer.) www.straubbeer.com
    There are Hundreds of Bars, Pubs, Neighborhood Joints like this in all the Regions of our Great Country!  Mom & Pops  just serving up great food, like Hamburgers, and trying to make a living. , Order a beer , Order a Burger,
    and enjoy what's great about our Country !!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/02/01 03:02:42
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/02/01 11:33:23 (permalink)
    Foodbme

And the Final Score is:
    Red Robin - 0
    5 Guys - 0

SOLUTION:
    Find a good local joint where is smells like stale beer when you walk in the door. Poorly lit, with most of the lighting coming from the neon beer signs. A Jar of Pickled Pigs Feet on the Bar. Also a jar of Penrose Sausages. One 19" non-HD TV with Aluminum Foil-wrapped Rabbit Ears over in the corner, Not plugged in right now. A Grumpy Bartender who drives a taxi during the day, a waitress who smokes 2 packs a day and is at least 50 years old who calls you Darlin.
    AND  serves Fresh Cold Draft Beer AND has Reasonable Prices! AND makes a Great Hamburger/Cheeseburger

I'm from Western PA. - St. Marys, PA Does it show?? (Home of Straubs Beer.) www.straubbeer.com
    There are Hundreds of Bars, Pubs, Neighborhood Joints like this in all the Regions of our Great Country!  Mom & Pops  just serving up great food, like Hamburgers, and trying to make a living. , Order a beer , Order a Burger,

And I bet there is not a Red Robin anywhere around!!!!!!!!!!

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10353
    Re:Red Robin vs. Five Guys 2010/02/01 11:38:55 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

Foodbme

And the Final Score is:
    Red Robin - 0
    5 Guys - 0

SOLUTION:

I'm from Western PA. - St. Marys, PA. Does it show?? (Home of Straubs Beer.) www.straubbeer.com

And I bet there is not a Red Robin anywhere around!!!!!!!!!!

The Only Red Robins in my hometown have wings, fly and eat worms!
    Out here in the Phoeix area, we have the ones that sell the overpriced Burgers!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1