Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items..

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15285
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/26 11:32:41 (permalink)
Mobley,
My experience in Mass. was exactly like yours! I often wonder if, considering the complexity of the coffee marketing today, the ordering of regular coffee has the same cultural clash as it did in the days before Latte-Matte with a Twist era arrived??[|)]
Some may yearn for the simpler days of the Pre-Computer, Pre-Xerox, Pre MacDonalds era. I for one remember being able to make a basic choice between Coke and Pepsi, based on how much I wanted... Coke was a 6oz bottle and Pepsi was a 12oz. Now one must make a dozen decisions about the same choice..Brand Coke or Pepsi...-Caffine/decaf...-Colorbrown/clear/blue...) Calories- lots/ a few/ none/...Flavor- regular/cherry/vanila/lemon/berry Container type glass/plastic/can... Quantity 6oz/8oz/12oz/16oz/20oz/1 liter/2 liters/ and for some of us 3 liters. AND this is only for the two leading brands...not their off-shoots or the lower ranked competitor's Life is sure full of difficult decisions !!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/26 13:35:05 (permalink)
Time was when every bartender knew what a Martini is- regardless of whether that could or would make a decent one. No more!

Sit down at a bar and ask for a Martini and your'e in for more questions than an SAT. Gin or vodka? Or, would you like to chose from our Martini menu? As though a proper Martini was ever made of anything other than dry gin. Straight up or on the rocks? "Straight up, of course, I dont want a watery Martini". Lemon, onion, broccoli, capers, dill pickle, olive, etc.,etc. ? "A green olive, stuffed or not, is the traditional..."

By now I've made an enemy of the bartender (the only thing worse than insulting your barber) and I'm served, with a sour face, some insipid lukewarm concoction in a heavy tumbler, and my happy anticipation
of a relaxing cocktail at the end of a long has turned to ashes...

Things change - not always for the better!
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/26 14:36:44 (permalink)
Al, your memory is correct. Here in the Philly area, we have water ice and the flavor is throughout. This isn't crushed ice with some flavored syrup poured on top. It is flavored and frozen in big freezers with rotating mixing paddles. The quintessential Philly meal is a cheesesteak and soda followed by a cherry or chocolate water ice and a soft pretzel with mustard. Mmmmmmmm
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

If my memory serves me correctly, The Italian or Flavor Ices are "factory flavored" as opposed to "Site flavored" like the snowcones, icee's or slurpee's. From one summer's experience I can tell you that scooping Italian Ice is much harder on your wrist than most forms of Ice Cream. Several of the employees at the location I visited suffered from what was probably Corpal Tunnel Syndrome (SP??) but not called that in the 70's.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/26 16:08:15 (permalink)
Cheesie,
That would match my understanding. I was on a team that helped train folks when the Great Adventure Theme Park opened in Jersey in 1974..before 6 Flags bought the Park. One of the jobs that seemed to see much more than average turnover during those first couple of Summers were the attendants of the Italian Ice Carts that were all over the Park. When we investigated the needs of the kids doing the job, we found that the stuff was very hard to scoop..and some of the younger kids doing the job couldn't last a shift without severe wrist pain. I guess the product was a real money-maker because the management authorized additional personnel rather than reduce the number of carts out there selling ICE. Cherry was my favorite, with lemon next on the list.
OK Then What is the difference between Sherbet and 'Italian' Ice???
AL
Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/26 16:25:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mobley

Being from North Carolina, tea means ice tea. I was in a diner in North Jersey and asked for tea and received a tea bag and a pot of hot water. Then again, here in the South, you have to stipulate sweettea (one word) or un-sweetened. Go about as far North as say, Maryland and ask for sweettea,and sometimes they'll act as if you have three heads. Then there is the regular coffee thing. I went into a Dunkin Donuts in Lowell Mass and was asked if I wanted regular coffee. Being no fan of de-caf, I said "of course". What I received seemed like the wrong order. It was some milky ,super sweet, syrupy tasting concoction. When I complained, I was treated in a pretty flippant manner. The folks in the Bay State aren't well known for having patience with slow "foreigners" from the South. I could go on and on about this subject. The differences in whats called BarBQ. The Sub Sandwich debate and so on.

Ahhh, the tea issue! I love the glucose-sweet stuff with mountains of shaved ice, like at the[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=154']Beacon Drive-In[/url] (which used to boast that it served more tea -- and used more sugar -- than any other restaurant on earth). I remember an awkward moment in a North Carolina diner long ago when the proprietor came to our booth with a pitcher to refill our glasses.

He leaned over, looking at Jane's glass and quietly said what Jane heard as: "Jewish tea?"

She had no idea how to answer him. She just shook her head "yes." He refilled her glass, then I translated: What he had asked, of course, was "Do you wish tea?" or, as it might be properly transliterated, "Djyouwishtea?"
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/26 19:11:47 (permalink)
Louisville appears to be on the Mason-Dixon line as far as the Tea issue goes. Perhaps because the city has grown rapidly, it tends to go by the Northern definition (unsweet), but many places serve two types..sweet or unsweet, and ask you a preference when you order. However, the rural/small towns on both sides of the Ohio River are very definitely SWEET Territory.
It is kind of odd that asking for Hot Tea is considered 'Unusual' but asking for hot Dr. Pepper is not.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13509
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/26 19:19:08 (permalink)
I was in Tucson a few weeks ago and the restaurant I was visiting prided itself on sun-tea. The put the tea leaves in large glass containers in full view and set them in the sun. After some type of prescribed time, the tea would "steap" sic. Turn brown and they would serve it. They thought it was great and quite frankly, I could not tell the difference. Any thoughts?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/26 19:55:41 (permalink)
As soon as it warms up enough here, we do a gallon every other day or so. It is better than the mixes, and cheaper than using the range to boil the water. It is more an energy saver than an improvement in flavor.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13509
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/26 20:00:48 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor, you are the expert and I trust your judgement. If you say sun tea is the best, I will do it. I just did not know the difference. Just for the record, if you can find the words to describe it, what is the difference? Or is it just cheaper and easier.

Thanks,
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/26 20:08:15 (permalink)
cheaper and easier...your words are just fine.
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/27 00:00:53 (permalink)
Al, I believe sherbet has egg whites in it.
quote:

Cheesie,
That would match my understanding. I was on a team that helped train folks when the Great Adventure Theme Park opened in Jersey in 1974..before 6 Flags bought the Park. One of the jobs that seemed to see much more than average turnover during those first couple of Summers were the attendants of the Italian Ice Carts that were all over the Park. When we investigated the needs of the kids doing the job, we found that the stuff was very hard to scoop..and some of the younger kids doing the job couldn't last a shift without severe wrist pain. I guess the product was a real money-maker because the management authorized additional personnel rather than reduce the number of carts out there selling ICE. Cherry was my favorite, with lemon next on the list.
OK Then What is the difference between Sherbet and 'Italian' Ice???
AL

rumbelly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 235
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/27 09:09:24 (permalink)
Here I'll throw this one up in the air. Vinegar on french fries?
Charlie714
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/27 12:19:36 (permalink)
Vinegar on french fries is good especially when you are having fish. Just don't drown the fries so they get soggy. Has anyone ever tried mayonaise on french fries? It does nothing for the waistline but sure taste good...

Charlie
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2127
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/27 12:39:01 (permalink)
It should be noted that malted vinegar is used - it is probably not wise to try balsamic or the other flavors.
fdm813
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/27 13:27:18 (permalink)
Mobley, Try ordering ice tea in England. The wait person always gave me this "huh" look. Then I had to ask for a large glass of ice (not a easy feat, sometimes) a cup of tea and a lemon wedge. The only place I did not have to go through this was in the Hard Rock Cafe in London. I guess they get so many Americans they are used to it. BTW/ In some Southern states ice tea is also refurred to as Table Wine.
rumbelly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 235
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/27 14:03:46 (permalink)
Stephen;

Up here white vinegar is used. Some use it in partnership with ketchup. Malt vinegar is restricted to serious fish and chip wagons.
Alirush
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/27 14:28:03 (permalink)
I do occasionally like my fries dipped in a combination of both ketchup and mayo, as unhealthy as that is!

Funny tea story: I live in Arkansas, one of the "sweetea" (one word) states, and for the past few months, I kept hearing about a local burger place that had the "best, most unique sweetea". I finally had the chance to try some, and my Northern-born/bred taste buds were immediately able to discern that the "unique" and wildly popular sweetea they were serving was powdered Nestea. Ha! I still haven't told any of the people that drive for miles to get a cup; I think they'd be heartbroken.
Mariahj20
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/28 05:53:33 (permalink)
Three things. 1. No one has mentioned the fact that, in Texas, when you're asked if you want a coke, it means any softdrink. 2. In a Concord, Massachusetts ice cream shop, I was told that the milkshake I wanted was called a concrete. Correct me if I'm wrong. 3. A local fast food chain in the Salt Lake City area created a popular fry sauce. It's, basically, ketchup and mayonnaise. There might be a couple of other secret ingredients. I don't know.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7849
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/28 07:46:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mariahj20

Three things. 1. No one has mentioned the fact that, in Texas, when you're asked if you want a coke, it means any softdrink. 2. In a Concord, Massachusetts ice cream shop, I was told that the milkshake I wanted was called a concrete. Correct me if I'm wrong. 3. A local fast food chain in the Salt Lake City area created a popular fry sauce. It's, basically, ketchup and mayonnaise. There might be a couple of other secret ingredients. I don't know.

I hate to say it, but I am the french fry connessuier. Here in Rhode Island, either malt vinegar or white vinegar is used. Up in northern new england, brown gravy is the norm. In Pittsburgh, you put french fries in your sandwich or in your salad. In Baltimore, Crab cakes go great with french fries drizzled with cider vinegar and old bay seasoning. In Utah most restaurants will use fry sauce which is a combination of mayo, ketchup and I believe mustard too. In the Pacific NW, tartar sauce is the condiment of choice on french fries. OF course growing up on Long Island, I thought Ketchup was the only way to go. I've learned quite a bit through my travels!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/28 13:44:06 (permalink)
Malt vinegar is a must for English "fish and chips". There was a place on the Boardwalk in Ocean City Md that served a passable English style fish and chips - and malt vinegar was the sauce of choice although you could get ketchup and other things like maybe soy sauce
or mustard or worchestershire?
Eric H.
Junior Burger
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/28 18:31:05 (permalink)
quote:

As we wander around the country, we have noticed that some items are 'called' by different names in certain parts of the country. Some examples-
1. Soft Drinks (carbonated)- POP- SODA- SodaPop- Coke- Tonic etc

There's an interactive map on-line which illustrates the regional differences quite nicely.

http://www.popvssoda.com/

On the top map if you let your cursor hover over pop, soda, coke or other you'll see where each is used. Of course there's some blurring where more than one term is used so there's another map that shows data by county and percentage.

You can also find out what people are saying when they say "other."

And you can add to the research by submitting what you call...uh, it.
Mariahj20
Junior Burger
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/29 05:05:35 (permalink)
I'm from the Salt Lake City area. Read about Fry Sauce.

http://saltlakecity.about.com/library/weekly/02art/aa082002a.htm

BassMan12
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/29 12:02:07 (permalink)
I've always been a ketchup freedom fry dipper until my youngest daughter told me about the mayo and ketchup combination. Sometimes it's difficult to use the M-n-K when you are at a fast food restaurant, but I usually can get around that. Also, I have always eaten my FF before my burger of hot dog or whatever. My wife has never gotten used to that "behavioral anomoly". If you've never tried the dippin' sauce, you're missing out on a unique taste!
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1187
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/29 16:30:14 (permalink)
We have several close friends from the northeast. It took quite a while for us to understand that they were having a grilled cheese sandwich when they referred to it as a "toasted cheese". Sounds rather fondue-like to me....
mobley
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/29 17:19:33 (permalink)
The "pop" vs "soda" thing. Here in NC we used to also refer to a soft drink as simply a "drink". This is before our state legalized mixed beverages in 1980. The only people who refered to soft drinks as "soda" were people from up North. The exception to this were African American kids who used the "soda" term. This may have been due to the fact that most Black Southerners had relatives up North, and spent a lot of time up in DC, NY, NJ etc. Today the "soda" terminology is much more common down here, probably due to the fact that so many Northerners have moved down South. I have also heard soft drinks refered to as "Co-Cola" and in very remote areas "dope"..Other things: "Pack-o-Nabs"..those little cheese crackers. Pimento Cheese sandwiches, not common up North and serving saltine crackers with salad.
wallhd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 431
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/29 22:15:10 (permalink)
Growing up in the 50's my mother NEVER called them grilled cheese sandwiches, always toasted cheese!

It's amazing how someone's post about a particular thing will trigger memories such as this.

Wally
Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/30 04:22:29 (permalink)
Just to add to the confusion ... I don't believe anyone has yet mentioned that in Eastern Massachusetts, soda (pop, Coke) is referred to as tonic.
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/30 08:32:05 (permalink)
When I was growing up in SC (60's & 70's), we often said we were going to get a coke and used coke in the generic sense for any soda pop. Either that or a DEW for a mountain dew, which was very popular down here or a crush for an orange crush ! Those were the popular soda drinks when I was growing up.

My Mother said that when she was growing up (40's & 50's in rural SC ) they called soda pop "Dope" !

I know people that refer to all soda's as "Belly wash" !
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/04/30 08:37:46 (permalink)
Michael,
Could the lack of use for the term TONIC outside of Eastern Mass be due to the isolationism of the Boston centered Sub-culture?? Another PhD dissertation in the making for someone out there !!! Anytime I hear a soft drink referred to as TONIC I can't help but think of the MOXIE brand. It took me a L O N G time to build a taste-acceptance for MOXIE !!
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Regional Descriptive Differences in Menu Items.. 2003/05/02 15:15:53 (permalink)
Soft drinks. . . . Where I live (LA) if one asks for [booze of choice] and soda, one is likely to get 7-Up or Coke, or even to be asked what kind of soda. So now I ask for club soda--and wonder what club is referred to.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1