The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Regional Jellies, Jams, Preserves, Syrups

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
Regional Jellies, Jams, Preserves, Syrups Thu, 03/17/05 9:00 PM (permalink)
We're in Louisiana for a few weeks, and I came across some Mayhaw jelly in the grocery, and it brought back memories of a great former poster who has defected to the dark side. Sure do miss him.

In my native North Carolina mountains, we always enjoyed muscadine jelly, gooseberry preserves, pear preserves, pickled peaches, strawberry-rhubarb jelly, sourwood honey and sorgum molasses. What regional specialties should I try as I get into your part of the country?

Backroad Jack

• Total Posts: 16
    RE: Regional Jellies, Jams, Preserves, Syrups Thu, 03/17/05 9:36 PM (permalink)

How's about Beach Plum Jelley or Jam, Rose Hip
    Jelly, Tart Cranberry Marmalade and Hot Pepper
    Jelley from out on Cape Cod in Massachusetts...

Backroad Jack in MA

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Regional Jellies, Jams, Preserves, Syrups Thu, 03/17/05 10:09 PM (permalink)
      Around my neck of the woods I really dont see any Jams or Jellys for sale... Really bites... I see on the Food Network where they travel and find all these treasures in the nook and crannies across the country... I have my pick of stands around the county where I find a dozen fresh brown eggs for a buck, a quart of honey for 4 bucks, mass assortments of root plants like rhubarb darn cheap.. Then mass amounts of the best veggies ever in the summer months (but I imagine this goes on all over the country).. But to find something hand cooked in someones kitchen is another thing... Could be the strict Health laws around here, but sure wish I had some, if not more then some to sample and buy!

PS (edit): I do have a stand NE of Grand Rapids that sells some really decent honey (and alot of decent fruits and veggies.. The guy that runs (and farms it)is in a wheelchair, I dont stop to help him, I stop because his crops are the best! and he's proud of his product!)...

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
        RE: Regional Jellies, Jams, Preserves, Syrups Sat, 03/19/05 8:13 PM (permalink)
        You can alll eat your hearts out (just an expression, hehe) Sundancer's mom, Mamaw Smith, makes the best homemmade/regional jams and jellies around.

jinjo76

• Total Posts: 204
          RE: Regional Jellies, Jams, Preserves, Syrups Sat, 03/19/05 8:42 PM (permalink)
          Sea grape jelly, coconut jam, mango preserves, and orange blossom honey in Fort Lauderdale.

seafarer john

RE: Regional Jellies, Jams, Preserves, Syrups Sat, 03/19/05 9:22 PM (permalink)
            Medium Amber Maple Syrup - available all over the Northeast, and I hear this is going to be a very good year for quality and quantity. Maybe the price will be down from the stratosphere for a change.

cheers, John

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
              RE: Regional Jellies, Jams, Preserves, Syrups Thu, 03/24/05 8:33 AM (permalink)
              Cherry prserves with whole sour cherries, corn relish, sweet red pepper relish, and apple or peach butter would be common in this part of PA.

ctfrasier

• Total Posts: 253
                RE: Regional Jellies, Jams, Preserves, Syrups Mon, 03/28/05 9:21 PM (permalink)
                Does anyone know where I can find a good elderberry jelly? My grandmother used to make it and I haven't had it since shortly after she passed away.

arianej

• Total Posts: 205
                  RE: Regional Jellies, Jams, Preserves, Syrups Wed, 03/30/05 1:41 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by ctfrasier

Does anyone know where I can find a good elderberry jelly? My grandmother used to make it and I haven't had it since shortly after she passed away.

Well, I don't know if it's what you had in mind, but Smuckers makes elderberry jelly and it tasted all right to me. Granted, I have no idea how it'd measure up to homemade, but my husband also had fond childhood memories of it and doesn't think Smuckers' version is too bad.

It can also be found in Ohio and Indiana, FWIW... I forget what brand we've got right now, but I think it's from a company based out of Columbus, OH. If you have a chance to hit up any farm markets in that area, it might be a good bet.

Ariane

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com