Regional Potato Side Dish

Author
Prairie Mary
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2003/10/26 08:08:13 (permalink)

Regional Potato Side Dish

I was just in Quebec, and saw a dish of french fries, covered in cheese curds and brown gravy. What was that? Does anyone have more info?

This was at a McDonalds of all places... and I can't read French to figure it out.

23 Replies Related Threads

wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/10/26 09:15:05 (permalink)
    What you saw was likely a dish called poutine, fries with cheese and gravy. Can't say as I care for the cheese on the fries, but fries with gravy is pretty darned good even though it doesn't sound especially appitizing!

I'm from far northeastern NY State, Clinton County. The french influence is pretty strong here as it is across Lake Champlain in northwestern Vermont. You might expect that to be the case with Montral only 30 miles north of the int'l border.

Several years ago I was inbound to Burlington, VT on a US Airways flight which wasn't very full. The cabin crew had a 36-48 hour layover in BTV and two of them were talking about this "wierd" place you could go where they served (of all things!) french fries with gravy. I told them they were probably talking about a long time Burlington hangout called Nectar's. That was it they said. Nothing special to us locals, but pretty unusual to someone "from away" guess.

Wally
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7836
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/10/26 12:04:09 (permalink)
    What in good heaven's were you doing at a Mc Donald's in Montreal out of all places!!
    Prairie Mary
    Junior Burger
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/10/26 20:17:59 (permalink)
    OH, I was stuck in a car traveling from Montreal to Magog. The family stopped at McD's because of the children. Not my choice.

Sorta reminds me of driving through N. Carolina a few years ago. Wendy's had a "N. Carolina Burger," topped with BBQ.

Fast food tries to go regional.
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

What in good heaven's were you doing at a Mc Donald's in Montreal out of all places!!
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/10/28 00:54:31 (permalink)
    The first time I ever saw gravy served on french fries was in Barry Levinson's movie Diner. This must be an east coast thing.

Down here, the gravy we put on fries is chili gravy, with cheese, or course.
    Marsh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/10/28 03:23:30 (permalink)
    Of course we eat cream gravy with fries here in Texas. On the East Coast I understand that there is mozzarella covered fries served with brown gravy or with pizza gravy. In Texas, Snuffer's invented the cheese fries with shredded cheddar melted on to fries and served with ranch dressing. Sometimes one would add some scallions, bacon bits, or jalapenos with it. Some people use Queso which is cheating, the same with nachos, which should be beans and shredded cheddar all melted together.
    Prairie Mary
    Junior Burger
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/10/28 07:00:39 (permalink)
    Chili Cheese Fries I know!

I also remember from SoCal "Irish Nachos" fries covered in cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles, served with Ranch dressing.

Gravy on fries is very unknow here. Cheese curds too. I don't consider the canned "nacho" sauce remotely anything like a dairy product. It's just orangish slimy goo. Scarey.

- Prairie Mary in Colorado
    gala62
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/11/08 21:39:22 (permalink)
    I lived for awhile in Erie, Pa. They have what they call "Greek fries". If I remember correctly, its sort of a spicy meat sauce served over fries, burgers and hot dogs. You can add cheese too. Totally artery-clogging and of course, delicious!

In Western NY, where I'm from, no chicken barbeque (Cornell-style, of course!) would be complete without salt potatoes. These are new or small potatoes boiled in salt water, typically 1 pound of salt to 4 pounds of taters. Drain them and add a stick of real butter. Surprisingly the potatoes aren't that salty, they become very creamy and tender as a result of the boil. In fact I always need to add salt and pepper before eating. Now the cooking pot is a salty, crusty mess! But soooo worth it!
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/11/09 08:58:41 (permalink)
    Anyway, as I was saying in another thread, (French Fry survey results in Misc), is that in a place where I slung burgers up on the Canadian border, these snowmobilers would come in from Canada and want brown gravy on em'.

Now I see the gravy mentioned, I just wondered about the roots. Sounds like a Canadian thang, or NE??
    Who knows. eh?
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/11/09 10:24:42 (permalink)
    Unrelated but interesting experience:

I ate in a Chinese restaurant in Northern Ireland once (go figure!), and discovered that unless you requested it differently, the entree was served over "chips", not rice. " />" /> My party seemed to be about the only ones there that wanted rice.
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/11/09 14:24:04 (permalink)
    Poutine is a religon in Quebec. The cheese used is curds which are unripened blobs that melt well with the gravy. The quality of the gravy makes or breaks the dish. Mcd's in Nova Scotia serves lobster rolls in season, in France wine, in Germany beer, I'm not sure what is served in antarctica.
    Dipstick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/11/09 21:12:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by spadoman

Anyway, as I was saying in another thread, (French Fry survey results in Misc), is that in a place where I slung burgers up on the Canadian border, these snowmobilers would come in from Canada and want brown gravy on em'.

Now I see the gravy mentioned, I just wondered about the roots. Sounds like a Canadian thang, or NE??
    Who knows. eh?

Spending a few years in Duluth for college, and some time in Winnepeg for folk music, I'm pretty familiar with the gravy/french fry thing. It seems that cheese is only predominate in the french influenced pronvinces, while a gravy only mix tends to find itself in the more british sections. Just an observation I have experienced. I have been to Ontario as well.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/11/09 22:36:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rumbelly

Poutine is a religon in Quebec. The cheese used is curds which are unripened blobs that melt well with the gravy. The quality of the gravy makes or breaks the dish. Mcd's in Nova Scotia serves lobster rolls in season, in France wine, in Germany beer, I'm not sure what is served in antarctica.

Rumbelly,
    McDonalds in Antarctica serves a special raw fish sandwich that can be eaten with flippers, so when hordes of hungry penguins come squawking in 15 minutes before closing time, they don't leave disappointed.
    Gracious, my imagination is working overtime tonight.
    Chillygothically, Ort. Carlton in Finally-Cooling-Off-For-Fall Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. My favorite potato side would have to be the whole boiled potatoes served on barbecue buffets in Eastern North Carolina. You douse them with the vinegar sauce: they're excellent. Say, sort of like they do with fries in in Toronto, eh?
    P. P. S. Penguins don't tip worth a flip.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13503
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/11/12 20:52:32 (permalink)
    The Sundancer was in Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick recently. All served french fries with gravy. Quite frankly I enjoyed it. I do it at home now. I also add a little ketschup. A little hot sauce perks it up.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    cruzuki
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/11/18 16:03:04 (permalink)
    I remember as a kid in school the cafeteria lady would yell "French fries with gavy 5 cents extra!". I didn't realize gravy on fries was a local thing. Until I read this thread, I thought everyone did it.
    Poutine is making it's way from Quebec to Ontario. You can find it in more and more places here. Artery clogging goodness!
    Loudawgg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/11/19 04:31:55 (permalink)
    I like fries w/cheese and i like fries w/gravy but i don,t know about that curd on my fries.
    the best place to get Gravy fries is a place that is open 24hrs called the "Glider Diner" in Scranton Pa.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/11/19 09:21:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hermitt4d

The first time I ever saw gravy served on french fries was in Barry Levinson's movie Diner. This must be an east coast thing.

Down here, the gravy we put on fries is chili gravy, with cheese, or course.
    I also first heard about gravy and fries from Barry Levinson's film "Diner", set in the writer/director's hometown of Baltimore. (Tagline: "Suddenly, life was more than french fries, gravy and girls.")

I've been told gravy and fries was popular in diners and cafes around the city's Fells Point neighborhood. If anyone here knows about gravy and fries a la Baltimore, I'd like to know about the gravy. Was it homemade roast beef gravy? Was gravy and fries a Baltimore thing or was it served in other mid Atlantic cities?

As my family lived in Baltimore for 8 years in the late 30s and 40s, I've been curious about gravy over French fries.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4584
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2003/11/19 22:43:20 (permalink)
    Fries with Gravey and Cheese are a specialty of Pleasant Ridge Chili right here in Cincinnati.

It's even advertised on the side of the building facing the parking lot.....
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2004/03/24 11:36:40 (permalink)
    Wendys Carolina Burger had Chili on it-not barbecu
    quote:
    Originally posted by Prairie Mary

OH, I was stuck in a car traveling from Montreal to Magog. The family stopped at McD's because of the children. Not my choice.

Sorta reminds me of driving through N. Carolina a few years ago. Wendy's had a "N. Carolina Burger," topped with BBQ.

Fast food tries to go regional.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by wanderingjew

hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2004/03/24 12:30:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by gala62

I lived for awhile in Erie, Pa. They have what they call "Greek fries". If I remember correctly, its sort of a spicy meat sauce served over fries, burgers and hot dogs. You can add cheese too. Totally artery-clogging and of course, delicious!

My college roommate was from Erie and I spent a lot of time there (most of it drinking as there were more bars than I've ever seen anywhere in my life). Anyways, I had many an order of greek fries and greek burgers and dogs there. I believe the place that we got them was called Cristo's Hamburger Heaven or something like that. The greek sauce was kind of a spicy hamburger mixture that they put on everything.

Also, Erie is the first place I ever had gravy fries. There was some all night breakfast place that we used to hit after the bars closed and order meatball omlettes and gravy fries. Oh to be young again.

santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2004/03/24 14:43:47 (permalink)
    We always had good fries with brown gravy in the Greek/American owned
    eating places in upstate New York. After being out on the weekend, there is something really comforting about the combo at 2:00 a.m.

The very best Fries I have ever tasted was in a little place in the Azores I think it was on Santa Maria island. These fries were so good....
    They were done in a very rich Olive Oil almost burnt, and just salted, but man so simple and so good.
    andypants
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2004/03/27 16:07:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimInKy

I've been told gravy and fries was popular in diners and cafes around the city's Fells Point neighborhood. If anyone here knows about gravy and fries a la Baltimore, I'd like to know about the gravy. Was it homemade roast beef gravy? Was gravy and fries a Baltimore thing or was it served in other mid Atlantic cities? As my family lived in Baltimore for 8 years in the late 30s and 40s, I've been curious about gravy over French fries.

I usually only get fries with gravy in the winter, and it is a lot more than .05 extra. From the stuff I've had the gravy isn't beef,
    turkey gravy maybe?

We also have Western fries in Baltimore, lightly breaded potato wedges.
    Has anyone seen these anywhere else?

downtown
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2004/10/07 14:52:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Marsh

Of course we eat cream gravy with fries here in Texas. On the East Coast I understand that there is mozzarella covered fries served with brown gravy or with pizza gravy. In Texas, Snuffer's invented the cheese fries with shredded cheddar melted on to fries and served with ranch dressing. Sometimes one would add some scallions, bacon bits, or jalapenos with it. Some people use Queso which is cheating, the same with nachos, which should be beans and shredded cheddar all melted together.

while hunting for that German potato salad thread, I ran across this. I thought it was just me that did the cream gravy with french fries. ya know, chicken fried steak, fries, cream gravy and ketchup.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18451
    RE: Regional Potato Side Dish 2004/10/07 15:07:06 (permalink)
    Last night my grandson was dipping his fries in hummus after running out of pita bread.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1