Regional Sodas (or Pops)

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 19
Author
Lunvy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/01/30 22:18:07 (permalink)
I was born in 1962 in New Haven, Connecticut. I grew up in the farm town/suburb of (ironically) Orange, Connecticut. When I was young I did not like soda, but the only non-carbonated thing I remember coming in bottles was Pal. Nowadays, even milk comes in individual bottles! I have searched stores, and the web, from time to time, but I have never found any information about the stuff. The only thing I have ever found was some "Pal Ade" cardboard cutout ads for sale on antique web sites. I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff. Where did you get the Orange Green-spot? Did it come in bottles too? Do you figure these are only local brands?
efuery
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/02/02 15:11:37 (permalink)
I finally found it! I knew there was a Mom and Pop soda company still operating here in CT but I could Not remember the name. It is Avery Soda in New Britain (The City that time forgot). Here is the link:

http://www.averysoda.com/

Its been around since 1904. So if your in the area be sure to stop by and while in town pick up some great keilbasa at Nodzewski's or Rosol's. The rich polish history of the community makes for some good eating.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18382
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/02/02 15:19:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stridge

The last time I was in Miami I drank a Cuban paop called Iron Beer.
There is NOTHING like it any where that I know of. Around Lexington KY they have a ginger ale that's different (Can't remember the name)

Are you sure you don't mean Iron Brew? That's a soda I remember.
sodasommelier
Junior Burger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/02/15 03:14:01 (permalink)
There are about 1000 different sodas at www.sodaking.com . They even have some really weird stuff like LENINADE and Unknown Dred Road Rage Red. They have Cheerwine, Nehi, Vernors, Moxie,... everything!! I think that's the greatest place of all. I've been to the galco soda pop stop which is also cool but wow the sodaking in Seattle really is amazing. It's like 3 galcos all in one. And their prices for online shipping are pretty cheap. Also there is the 'Real Soda' warehouses in LA, San Francisco, and Seattle. It's cheaper there than sodaking but you have to buy by the case.
sodasommelier
Junior Burger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/02/15 03:27:11 (permalink)
yes, www.sodaking.com is the place for like a thousand sodas!!
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/02/15 11:20:29 (permalink)
When I worked in Chicago back in the 80s, a local bottler (I think it was Canfields but I might be mistaked) came up with the idea to make a Diet Chocolate Fudge Soda. It created quite a stir and the demand for it opened up some new markets for them. Also while growing up in central Indiana, my mom bought a brand called Double Cola because it was cheaper than Coke. I don't know if it was regional or national soda but its not around anymore.
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/02/15 13:42:53 (permalink)
It was Canfield's who came out with a Diet Chocolate Fudge flavor. I used to drink it seemingly by the gallon.
john c
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/02/16 16:03:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
Athens, Georgia used to have Budwine, which I remember originally as a cherry drink with a hit on ginger and a wee bit of peppermint. The "hobble skirt" bottle that Coca-Cola uses was a Budwine original. A high school English teacher I knew (she retired before I was in her class) was the younger sister of Henry Claude Anderson, the inventor of Budwine (it's name was originally "Bludwine" - a tonic for the blood).

God, I miss Budwine! Gone now for over a decade.... Grew up on it in Athens, and could still get it here in Atlanta. Greatest slogan ever "Makes you glad you're thirsty!"
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/02/17 13:15:30 (permalink)
In the Buffalo, New York area we had some interesting POP companies (in our area we call it POP instead of soda) that produced some of the best I have ever had. There was Dad's Root Beer, Queeno Orange, Nehi Grape, and Hires Root Beer.

When I lived in the Charlotte, NC area, there was a regional pop called Cheerwine. Here is there site: http://www.cheerwine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=About.History

People that I worked with loved this local pop and I thought it was
outstanding myself!
marcbla
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/02/17 15:37:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stanpnepa

Christmas wouldn't be complete without either a case of Ma's or Shep's. Dad would take me to the distributor (as we have here in PA, you can't buy cases of beer in 95% of the stores), and we'd hand pick a variety pack of soda (bottles). I was most partial to the orange, cherry and lime, hated root beer and cream.
ever have soda from posties beverages or lansford bottling works/
marcbla
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/02/17 15:39:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

Frank's is no longer made in Philly. I believe it is made in North Jersey and its distribution is spotty. You can't find Frank's in too many stores anymore.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by wanderingjew

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by CheeseWit

All this talk about Vernor's and other sodas (what we call them in PA; that's another thread)got me thinking about all of the regional sodas. I collect ACL soda bottles. Those are the ones with painted labels on the bottles (or Applied Color Labels). I have many regional brands. For example, in the Philly area we had Frank's. In Allentown, PA there is or was A-Treat soda. What brands are or were in your area? What regional brands have you tried in your travels?

Frank's isn't around anymore?

WAS FRANKS THE SPONSOR OF THE OLD DOCTOR SHOCK TV SHOW? I REMEMBER HIS LITTLE GIRL APPEARING ON THE SHOW GOING BY THE NAME OF BUBBLES
marcbla
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/02/17 15:43:03 (permalink)
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Where does JOLT Cola fit in? The double sugar and double caffine it used as it's teaser ads got the attention of many teenagers. We still see it in SoCal. Is it regional or a subset of one of the Big Boys??
Same question for BIG RED? For years my Secretary had to have a 44oz Big Gulp of BIG RED each morning, while everyone else had their coffee.ote] i remember wally cox (the voice of underdog) doing commercials for sport cola i remember the slogan How would you like a good swift kick, that's what you get with great new sport, sport cola's taste is kicky and clean, we don't add the extra cafeine, then he would ask:how would you like a good swift kick?
CheeseWit
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/02/17 16:23:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by marcbla

quote:

Frank's is no longer made in Philly. I believe it is made in North Jersey and its distribution is spotty. You can't find Frank's in too many stores anymore.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by wanderingjew

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by CheeseWit

All this talk about Vernor's and other sodas (what we call them in PA; that's another thread)got me thinking about all of the regional sodas. I collect ACL soda bottles. Those are the ones with painted labels on the bottles (or Applied Color Labels). I have many regional brands. For example, in the Philly area we had Frank's. In Allentown, PA there is or was A-Treat soda. What brands are or were in your area? What regional brands have you tried in your travels?

Frank's isn't around anymore?

WAS FRANKS THE SPONSOR OF THE OLD DOCTOR SHOCK TV SHOW? I REMEMBER HIS LITTLE GIRL APPEARING ON THE SHOW GOING BY THE NAME OF BUBBLES

Yes, Frank's was the sponsor of Doctor Shock on Philly TV in the seventies.
sodacans
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/03/03 22:11:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

When I worked in Chicago back in the 80s, a local bottler (I think it was Canfields but I might be mistaked) came up with the idea to make a Diet Chocolate Fudge Soda. It created quite a stir and the demand for it opened up some new markets for them. Also while growing up in central Indiana, my mom bought a brand called Double Cola because it was cheaper than Coke. I don't know if it was regional or national soda but its not around anymore.

Double cola is a regional soda and is alive and well. They are in Chattanoga TN and also produce regular Ski, Cherry Ski and Jumbo flavors of soda. Website is www.double-cola.com
sodacans
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/03/03 22:16:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dte3672

I really miss Apple Slice! Don't remember Lemon Crush or Lime Crush but would sure love to try some! Too bad I missed out... Anyone here ever have Chocolate soda? I was watching a rerun of the Cosby show and it was mentioned. Is it worth ordering online with heavy shipping charges?

Fanta apple which is available in HEB stores in Texas is a good substitute for Apple slice, not quite as good but close.
Burp!
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/03/04 01:48:58 (permalink)
Growing up we didn't have sodas very often. I remember when my family took a driving trip from San Diego to Seattle in '73 my sister & I got to enjoy Orange Crush, a drink that we had never had before. After the trip I don't know if we had it again. As an adult now I've had it and it's not bad; however, it's still not the same as the stuff we had on that trip. I can still get it here in the Northwest, but it's not sold everywhere.

Can anyone help me out with a memory of a commercial? On Socal television in the early '70s there was a soda commercial that featured two old trucks filled with boxes of soda racing towards each other on a dirt road in the middle of a farm field. Can anyone tell me who this was?

I had MtnDew a few times as a teenager & really liked it. Now it's more of a utilitary beverage when I need caffeine (and Jolt's not available).

Today my primary beverages are Sprite, Mug Root Beer (is it me or does the alum. can taste better than the plastic bottle?), Safeway Select Clear Raspberry/Blackberry Water, and Minute Maid Lemonade.
ccrfan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/01 16:51:36 (permalink)
How interesting that a few people still remember the Pomac soda. If I may add my 2 cents worth: Pomac came to my little hometown (Encinal, Texas) sometime around 1965-66. I remember that the color resembled champagne or beer. It took a few weeks for me to taste one because, being brand new, every kid in town wanted to drink one.
As I remember, it tasted sort of like "creme" soda but not quite as "yucky" sweet. The closest I've come to nowadays is the Chinese ginseng soda sold in some health food stores.
In any event, it probably had a taste uniquely its own. (Hey, memory may fail me; it's been a long time, you know!)
I also recall that it was yanked from the market very, very quickly. I always wondered why because it was a darn good tasting soda.
Here's a bit of trivia/urban myth: Somebody once told me that it was discontinued because since it looked so much like beer, underage kids were using the bottles to drink real beer out of. If someone out there has a different version, please let me know.

seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/01 17:38:11 (permalink)
My wife just came home with a bottle of "Dr Brown's CEL-RAY soda.
What the Hell am I supposed to do with it?
CheeseWit
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/01 17:42:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

My wife just came home with a bottle of "Dr Brown's CEL-RAY soda.
What the Hell am I supposed to do with it?

Oh you are lucky! You need some good old fashioned chicken matzah ball soup, a hot pastrami on rye, a sour pickle, and a Jewish tomato.
You drink that Cel-Ray Tonic to alleviate any heartburn and wash down those goodies!
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/01 18:36:28 (permalink)
I'll never forget the first time I asked for a soda in Maine, they said you mean Tonic!

I really used to love a non-carbonated orange soda called Tru-Ade.
Also in upstate New York there was Bryce's, Double Cola, Cott's.

The Double Cola was really watered down, but you got 16oz. for the price of 12oz.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/01 19:09:11 (permalink)
Ok, it's not "regional" but does anyone out there have a fondness for the Italian soda Brio Chinotto? I've tried to develop some sort of liking for it. Someone once said they liked it with pizza ...
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/01 19:19:18 (permalink)
A San Francisco Bay area liquor chain called Beverages and More did a special summertime unusual and regional soda special, and did so well they continue to stock them. They have Green River, but it's pricier than the others. I still buy Stewart's Key Lime. Others make a good Peach, but Stewart's is the best. My hands-down favorite is Faygo's Black Raspberry. Nothing in it but sugar and black reapberry juice. My partner, who is from NH, buys 2 bottles of Moxie per year. Yes, THAT is an acquired taste. Many of the other sodas mentioned in this thread are available there. From the grocery store, try Shasta's Raspberry Cream. Forget the flavored colas and buy some Torani syrup, because what Coke sells as a Cherry Coke is too little of either flavor.

Keep looking in liquor stores in your area for sodas--and ASK for what you want! The cost of shipping soda from those websites quickly becomes prohibitive.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/01 20:53:28 (permalink)
Guess I'll bring that bottle of CEL-RAY to Baltimore on the 17th...
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 750
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/01 21:01:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Burp![/i.

Can anyone help me out with a memory of a commercial? On Socal television in the early '70s there was a soda commercial that featured two old trucks filled with boxes of soda racing towards each other on a dirt road in the middle of a farm field. Can anyone tell me who this was?

That was an ad for Shasta Cherry Cola...have it on a tape of old ads....
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/02 00:54:36 (permalink)
John, Don't see Cel-Ray in bottles too often. Is it a glass one, or a one liter plastic. For some reason, the one liter size plastic bottle comes out around Passover, guess that is the bottling line that is certified Kosher for Passover. All Dr. Brown's flavors are readily available here in 6 pack cans. I like the black cherry, but it doesn't come close to Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/02 00:58:46 (permalink)
I've also noticed Fanta grape and orange are more available. I even saw part of a TV commercial for Fanta recently. I hope Coke brings Fanta to full distribution instead of the Minute Maid flavors they sell here in Baltimore.

I like grape carbonated soda and the Fanta flavor is the best tasting to me. Not as intense a grape flavor as MM or Welch's or most of the store brands.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/02 06:06:30 (permalink)
This is as good a place as any for me to get my feet wet. When I was growing up in the Cincinnati area there was a Sprite-like soft drink called Tom Collins, Jr. It came in the traditional dark green bottle and had a red on white label. It was a staple at my grandparent's house when we were kids and seemed to disappear during my high school years. I rediscovered it in a little convenience store just down the road from the Greater Cincinnati Airport, where I worked while in college. I was driving a 1973 Plymouth Satellite Regent station wagon at the time (a family hand-me-down) and would stop and buy a couple of TCJ's on the way to work when the urge struck me. I'd have one on the way in and save the other for the trip home. One day during the winter of 1980-81, I stuck the trip home bottle on the floor in the back seat. When I was leaving work that night I reached into the back seat for the TCJ that I had been looking forward to ever since dinner, only to find it frozen to the floor in a puddle that had formed in the leaky floorboard. It took a while to get the bottle out, but it was well worth it because it was good and cold. I've looked, but I haven't seen Tom Collins, Jr. around here since.
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/02 07:35:50 (permalink)
i've enjoyed
Ski
Bubble Up
Nu Grape
Sun Drop
Fesca
Upper 10
Mr Pibb
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3300
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/02 09:17:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

I've also noticed Fanta grape and orange are more available. I even saw part of a TV commercial for Fanta recently. I hope Coke brings Fanta to full distribution instead of the Minute Maid flavors they sell here in Baltimore.

I like grape carbonated soda and the Fanta flavor is the best tasting to me. Not as intense a grape flavor as MM or Welch's or most of the store brands.

Fanta Orange is the hot drink in Europe, especially Italy. One of my favorite ice cream drinks is an orange float. Drop a few scoops of vanilla ice cream in a glass and add Fanta Orange. You can also turn it into an orange freeze by adding ice and tossing it into a blender.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3300
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/02 09:19:55 (permalink)
quote:

It was Canfield's who came out with a Diet Chocolate Fudge flavor. I used to drink it seemingly by the gallon.

Back in the 80's, Weight Watchers promoted a shake made with Canfield's Chocolate Fudge blended with powdered milk and ice. It actually tasted like a chocolate shake and was legal on their program.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 19
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1