Regional Sodas (or Pops)

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 19
Author
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/02 10:26:21 (permalink)
The Cel-Ray is a one litre plastic bottle, bottled by Pepsi and i dont see any sign of kosher on the bottle.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/02 10:32:09 (permalink)
We have Shasta Soft drinks here in North Carolina. In fact, our local
Medical Center serves it to their patients whenever they ask for a soft drink. We can even by Shasta in our local Dollar Stores
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Jen,
Shasta is a West Coast (almost generic) brand. Their one claim to fame was getting placed on the kitchen table for the opening scene and credits of the "ROSANNE" show, where the camera circles the table looking over peoples shoulders at the folks across the table from them...Rosanne's (TV) family. They paid a ton of money to be used as the soda for the show, and made the most of it in their advertising 15 years ago (or whenever the TV show was big???)
Shasta is one of the few West Coast distributors to make use of the three (3) liter bottle. The Big Companies never pushed the three liter in SoCal like they do here in the Mid-West.
Thanks for the word on JOLT. It is/was nasty for sure!.
I have never built much of a taste for Big Red. It is VERY popular here in the Louisville area and further South. For those who haven't tried it, think of a carbonated soda that tastes a lot like the old Fleer's Bubble-Gum, and you are close to Big Red
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/02 10:39:37 (permalink)
I remember Buffalo Rock ginger ale. It could bring tears to your eyes.
But by Dad would swear by it as a cure for upset stomach
quote:
Originally posted by Cubs Fan

Buffalo Rock Bottling Company in addition to being a Pepsi bottler, makes a very gingery Buffalo Rock ginger ale and Grapico sodas.

Was watching the Food Network and they showed a market in LA that deals in all kinds of regional sodas. As result of this show, I'll be looking for a lemon-lime soda called Green River next time I'm in Chicago.

Well, I've obtained some Green River and it certainly is not the run-of-the-mill lemon-lime soda. It's green colored and I'm not quite certain of the exact flavor. Any suggestions?

chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3309
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/02 16:10:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

The Cel-Ray is a one litre plastic bottle, bottled by Pepsi and i dont see any sign of kosher on the bottle.

The can version of Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray is kosher and is great with gin on the rocks.
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/02 17:11:57 (permalink)
How could I forget:

Yoo Hoo and Chocolate Soldiers

Is Yoo Hoo just a NC thing?
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/03 01:19:58 (permalink)
Yoo Hoo's stongest market is the New York metro area.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3309
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/03 23:53:44 (permalink)
Many years before Yoo Hoo hit the Lake Michigan shores of Chicago, Kayo Chocolate drink was king.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/05 11:43:06 (permalink)
Our most popular local drink is Sun-Drop which is a citrus cola
with a yellowish green tint. They also sell Cheerwine which is popular here in North Carolina, but Sun-Drop is popular especially among the teens.
Bill B.
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/05 12:37:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scarlett

How could I forget:

The Wal-Mart Super Centers in Missouri carry it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18703
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/05 13:30:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

My wife just came home with a bottle of "Dr Brown's CEL-RAY soda.
What the Hell am I supposed to do with it?

You drink Cel-Ray Tonic with your hot pastrami sandwich.
jettababs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/05 14:24:40 (permalink)
There's a soda I've gotten several times in Kentucky and So. Indiana called Ale-8-One. It's a sort of ginger ale, with a kick, and it has caffiene. Pretty tasty. In school in Evansville, we used to drink Ski by the case. Great stuff, especially for students pulling all-nighters--sugary, lots of caffiene, and cheap!
Also, what is the yellow flavor of Fanta? I've seen it on the ads, but we only get grape, strawberry, and orange here. I'm guessing it's lemon, or maybe pineapple....
jeffskal
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/05 16:01:46 (permalink)
Pineapple. Definitely Pineapple. In high school, friends and I would ride our bicycles what seemed like miles from Wynnefield PA to some gas station in Narberth that had a vending machine that sold Fanta Grape...
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/05 16:14:02 (permalink)
Jeffskal: did you grow up in Wynnefield? I went to Gompers elementary school.
jeffskal
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/06 13:42:54 (permalink)
I didn't go to Samuel Gompers because I didn't move to my uncle's house on Woodbine Ave (at 53rd) until Junior High (Masterman) - but then I went to Overbrook HS for a year before moving to Atlantic City. There were a bunch of Gompers kids at the 'Brook, including a close friend I'm still in contact with. I graduated HS in '70. If you were from the same era, we probably know some people... it's that six degrees principle, I guess.

And just to stay within topic, does anyone remember a soda with a very shapely bottle (think female), started with a "B" - something like Berleys, or Breyleys? Also there was a gas station on Castor Ave. near my house in Juniata Park (*THIS* was during elementary school, Clara Barton in fact) that sold these smallish soda bottles out of a fridge, but great flavors like cream and cherry... wish I could remember *that* name.

I also have very fond memories of Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak (Wishniak will probably always be a mystery), Dad's Root Beer, Ma's Root Beer (sense a pattern here?), Hires of course, and Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer (the latter mostly when I was in Atlantic City for some reason). I was also a Yoo Hoo fan.

I also remember when I was quite younger the local corner store had a soda cooler that kept the bottles in cold water (I still remember the smell of that water, not unpleasant); some versions of these had a coin-operated system and you had to move the bottle through slots to get it out of the cooler.
CheeseWit
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/06 14:19:20 (permalink)
Jeffskal: You're a little older than me. I graduated high school in '74. Moved from Wynnefield Heights after 6th grade.
I loved cold sodas in those coolers and I remember the kind that were coin operated and you had to slide the bottle out of a track that was unlocked after depositing the correct amount.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/06 17:11:45 (permalink)
Any word on Delaware Punch? I know it was available in Louisiana in the '80s, but haven't seen it lately.
BooBooMaGoo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/07 16:41:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

All this talk about Vernor's and other sodas (what we call them in PA; that's another thread)got me thinking about all of the regional sodas. I collect ACL soda bottles. Those are the ones with painted labels on the bottles (or Applied Color Labels). I have many regional brands. For example, in the Philly area we had Frank's. In Allentown, PA there is or was A-Treat soda. What brands are or were in your area? What regional brands have you tried in your travels?

Originally from NE Pennsylvania, our local soda was "Kramer's", bottled in Mt. Carmel. Their ginger ale was the best ever. VERY peppery. They also made regular orange and the all famous "Kramer's Dark Orange". I belive their version of 7Up was called "Bubble Up".
Side note to CheeseWit ..... I have several Kramer's bottles with the applied color labels which I usually sell on Ebay. If you don't have one, i would be happy to send you one on the house!
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/07 16:47:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scarlett

How could I forget:

We have plenty of Yoo Hoo in FL. I usually prefer that to regular chocolate milk. Regular is just too sweet. If and when I do drink chocolate milk I have to mix half choc and half white milk. My husband on the other hand will drink Hersey's Syrup from the can.
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/07 18:01:44 (permalink)
Did RC Cola get honorable mention, sans the Moon Pie, of course?
stridge
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/09 18:08:58 (permalink)
This past week I drank two cans of Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale (Gingale for you in VA. It's been around Alabama since 1901.
The printing on the can reads "Southern spice'When ordinary won't do"
It has that back of the mouth kick it's good.
stridge
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/09 18:30:08 (permalink)
Here are some observations I have noticed about the diffrence between regional and low distribution sodas.
A real regional pop can only be found in one area such as Ale 81(Kentucky) or Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale (Ala).
Some brands have producers(bottlers)spotted around the country. RC/ Nehi, etc.but are not everywhere.
Some brands are bottled at a few central locations and distributed by food wholesale houses. Shasta,Fago etc
As far as I can figure out this seems to be the way its done.
Some Coke and Pepsi bottlers may have a non Coca Cola Ent. or Pepsico brand, because at one time those companies didn't have flavors or root beer. In some places in the South Coke plants had Royal Palm flavors.
In Hoopeston IL Harris Bottling Works produced a drink called Blood Orange. I think this was a genaric flavor that many bottlers produced. There must have been a few companies that sold the syrup and bottle caps to the small independant guys.
A company in Chicago got into trouble a few years back with Coca Cola.They were the fountain syrup dists for Coca Cola, but they bottled it and sold it under their own name.
I have seen Coke and Pepsi in Mexican groceries sold here but made in Mexico.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/09 19:40:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stridge

Here are some observations I have noticed about the diffrence between regional and low distribution sodas.
A real regional pop can only be found in one area such as Ale 81(Kentucky) or Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale (Ala).
Some brands have producers(bottlers)spotted around the country. RC/ Nehi, etc.but are not everywhere.You will generally find Nehi,RC,etc more in the smaller stores for some odd reason
Some brands are bottled at a few central locations and distributed by food wholesale houses. Shasta,Fago etc As has been posted before,Shasta has seemed to have cornered the 'dollar store' market-which is FINE with me, cause Shasta Cola is a nice light alterninative to Coke/Pepsi
As far as I can figure out this seems to be the way its done.
Some Coke and Pepsi bottlers may have a non Coca Cola Ent. or Pepsico brand, because at one time those companies didn't have flavors or root beer. In some places in the South Coke plants had Royal Palm flavors.
In Hoopeston IL Harris Bottling Works produced a drink called Blood Orange. I think this was a genaric flavor that many bottlers produced. There must have been a few companies that sold the syrup and bottle caps to the small independant guys.
A company in Chicago got into trouble a few years back with Coca Cola.They were the fountain syrup dists for Coca Cola, but they bottled it and sold it under their own name.
I have seen Coke and Pepsi in Mexican groceries sold here but made in Mexico.

Next time you see those 'made in mexico'Cokes, you should pick one up-its made with REAL sugar, like God and Asa Chandler intended it to be....unfortunately,none of the mexican groceries around here have yet to pick them up....

RVlifestyle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/11 00:25:56 (permalink)
Does anyone but me remember Kick-a-poo Joy Juice??? All I seem to remember is a red can......

Edited......Never mind...I see in another thread there are some of you who do. Who knew I'd miss so much while we're on the road.
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/11 00:27:32 (permalink)
I just discovered Shasta Red Grape Stain which is like red grape soda. Not bad for a change of pace.
CheeseWit
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/11 08:17:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooMaGoo

quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

All this talk about Vernor's and other sodas (what we call them in PA; that's another thread)got me thinking about all of the regional sodas. I collect ACL soda bottles. Those are the ones with painted labels on the bottles (or Applied Color Labels). I have many regional brands. For example, in the Philly area we had Frank's. In Allentown, PA there is or was A-Treat soda. What brands are or were in your area? What regional brands have you tried in your travels?

Originally from NE Pennsylvania, our local soda was "Kramer's", bottled in Mt. Carmel. Their ginger ale was the best ever. VERY peppery. They also made regular orange and the all famous "Kramer's Dark Orange". I belive their version of 7Up was called "Bubble Up".
Side note to CheeseWit ..... I have several Kramer's bottles with the applied color labels which I usually sell on Ebay. If you don't have one, i would be happy to send you one on the house!

BooBoo: I'm definitely interested! Email me and I'll send you my address.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/12 04:16:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jettababs

There's a soda I've gotten several times in Kentucky and So. Indiana called Ale-8-One. It's a sort of ginger ale, with a kick, and it has caffiene. Pretty tasty.

Ale-8-One is a central Kentucky delicacy. I'd never heard of it in Northern Kentucky until one of my high school bus drivers, a real good ol' boy, brought me a bottle after I asked him about it once. It's since made inroads to the NKY area, but it's still in the south and east that it seems most popular. They even have their own vending machines in some towns, Georgetown being the one that pops immediately to mind. It's a great way to keep alert if you start to nod off. http://www.ale-8-one.com/index.html
I already hacked away your reference to Ski, but it's made by the same good people that bring you Double Cola from Chattanooga, TN.
http://www.double-cola.com/ I thought this was a KY brand too, but I guess not.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/04/12 04:18:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jettababs

In school in Evansville, we used to drink Ski by the case. Great stuff, especially for students pulling all-nighters--sugary, lots of caffiene, and cheap!

Turns out I was half right about Ski and Double Cola being KY brands.
http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2001/04/23/ke042301s15233.htm
leslierenee
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/06/08 20:22:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by nvillekat

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by RockyB

I was wondering if anyone remembers a soda called "Pomac"? It was marketed around the late 60's as the "Soft Drink from the Continent".
Does anyone remember this stuff, and does anyone know who made it?

I thought i was the only one on earth looking, and still looking for that drink...we enjoyed it as kids, looked like beer. Good luck and let me know if you have any luck...
leslierenee
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/06/08 20:28:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by scbuzz

We have Fanta grape and orange, and of course Blenheim's Ginger Ale ! RC Cola is somewhat regional to the South ( I think )

Actually we have RC here in Cali.. but does anyone else have Shasta or is that just the west?

shasta is sold all over san antonio tx
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/06/08 23:39:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

Any word on Delaware Punch? I know it was available in Louisiana in the '80s, but haven't seen it lately.

In Texas too, up to a few years ago, bottled by Coca-Cola. Sadly, it seems to be available only in Latin America these days. Too bad, as it's by far the best fruit punch drink I've ever had. Second place was Cragmont's Sparkling Fruit Punch. (Cragmont was Safeway's house brand of soda.)

quote:
I also have very fond memories of Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak (Wishniak will probably always be a mystery)

It's a type of black cherry imported from Europe. As you well know, Black Cherry Wishniak soda is a south Jersey/Philly staple, made by Frank's, Stewart's, and several other regional bottlers...so popular, in fact, that a Philly friend of mine used to have a band called the Wishniaks!
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 12 of 19
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1