Regional Sodas (or Pops)

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 19
Author
IansMom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/06/09 09:52:15 (permalink)
Well being I'm in KY... I'm drinking an Ale-8-1 right now..
MikoEats
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/06/09 13:03:25 (permalink)
Coming in late to this thread, so sorry for any repeated ideas. I might have missed a few things in reading the last 12 pages!

When I was a kid in Texas, I loved Dr. Pepper ("10, 2 and 4"). We moved to New Jersey in the 70s, and I had to do without it for quite some time. Slowly it became available after the nationwide "I'm a Pepper" campaign.

Another favorite of mine was Big-Red. I loved it as a kid! But on a recent trip to New Orleans, I was all excited to buy some and have it again, and I was really disappointed. Does anyone else think its flavor has changed a lot in the last 20 years? I remembered it as having some delicious strawberry flavors in it, but the one I tried recently tasted like straight-up bubble gum. Not too enjoyable. Of course, it might just be that my palate has matured since I was nine.

I'll never forget my first taste of Foxon Park. When I moved to Connecticut, friends took me to Pepe's Pizza. Someone ordered a pitcher of cola, and I drank some assuming it was Coke. After the first sip, I was surprised by how delicious and perfectly balanced the taste was. I decided it must have been fountain mixed Coke, and started rhapsodizing to the table about how superior a hand-mixed Coke was over bottled Coke, until I was brought up short by the entire table crowing at me "It's NOT Coke! It's Foxon Park Cola!"

That stuff is GOOD.
jumpingmouse
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/06/25 17:02:11 (permalink)

at the beginning of the indi-drink era we are now in, NY Seltzer marketed a clear rootbeer in a squat clear bottle. it ruled. it's been gone quite some time now. i like vernons and squirt, and homemade the best. that's the way to get rootbeer with bite and snap. (not sure how to attach an image yet, apologies...)
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 858
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/06/25 18:39:34 (permalink)
The local soda pop of choice in the Detroit metro area while I was there is Faygo - they had a pile of different flavors around 1970 when I was there, including one called Frosh, aimed at more grown-up tastes. I wouldn't mind finding something like that nowadays - hard as anything to find a good grapefruit soda or the likes of Schweppe's Bitter Lemon at my local supermarts.

My brother got really hooked on a lime soda from Prince Edward Island called Siemen's (sp?) and has had no luck finding it available (without shipping sending it into single-malt prices)

Our favorite ginger ale going is Blenheim's, made in nearby South Carolina - that stuff'll clear your sinuses good! I need to take a road trip to pick up a bunch of it - anyone know how close to Atlanta they sell the stuff?
jumpingmouse
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/06/26 13:38:40 (permalink)
ooo yer right about Faygo. squirt, i like! Fresca, the second diet soda after Tab, i believe, still holds up, as a unique dusty-dry freaky taste.
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/06/26 15:07:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Vince Macek

Our favorite ginger ale going is Blenheim's, made in nearby South Carolina - that stuff'll clear your sinuses good! I need to take a road trip to pick up a bunch of it - anyone know how close to Atlanta they sell the stuff?

Behind Blenheim's
In a quaint tourist trap called "South Of the Border" named so for its whimsical homage to Latin architecture, just south of the North Carolina line, is a nondescript brick and aluminum-siding building that turns out the spiciest libation around - Blenheim's Ginger Ale. Like a slap in the face, Blenheim's commands your attention as your lips go numb and your heart begins to race after the first swallow. This not a soft drink. And though Blenheim's is indeed pungent stuff, its taste is not solely defined by heat. There is pleasure as well as pain. Take a second sip and your palate, indeed your whole body, comes to life. Locals claim that "it's good for what ails you," and they may well be right.

Created in the 1890's by a doctor who added Jamaican ginger to the local spring water curative in an attempt to mask the taste, the resulting concoction quickly built a reputation as a digestive aid. Bottled since 1903, Blenheim's has, until recently, avoided any attempts at modernization. Until the early 1990's, each bottle was taken off the production line and hand shaken to mix the granulated sugar into the ale. That laborious process ended when the Schafer family, owners of S.O.B., bought out the bottler. The old plant was closed and production moved to its new home amidst the faux-Mexican facades of S.O.B. Blenheim's Ginger Ale is still not widely distributed despite the efforts of the Schafer family. In fact, it's so hard to find that if you want to be assured a steady supply, you better stop by the bottling plant.

Lodged somewhere between a 30-ft gorilla, the World's Tallest Sombrero and Pedro's Pleasure Palace, the brawny beverage with big taste is in good company. Calling ahead for directions may still get you dazed and confused but once you get into the city, roll down your window and catch the scented spice in the air.
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/06/26 15:34:28 (permalink)
Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale in Birmingham, AL (spicy, much better than Vernor's) http://www.buffalorock.com/products/ginger_ale.htm
Fitz's Root Beer (and other varieties) in St. Louis. Their diet varieties are very good as they use Splenda. http://www.fitzsrootbeer.com/
Vess in St. Louis- http://www.catsupbottle.com/otherfun/cousinspix/vess.html
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/06/26 15:36:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jeffskal

..........does anyone remember a soda with a very shapely bottle (think female), started with a "B" - something like Berleys, or Breyleys?

Either they changed the bottle shape, or she got dowdy in her old age:

http://www.sodapopstop.com/products/detail.cfm?link=293
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/06/27 00:12:40 (permalink)
quote:
My brother got really hooked on a lime soda from Prince Edward Island called Siemen's (sp?) and has had no luck finding it available (without shipping sending it into single-malt prices)

Was it Sleeman's? That's a Canadian brand that does a lot of excellent tart fruit flavors, including Lime. I drink a lot of their Grapefruit soda whenever I'm in Toronto.

I was very much into Original New York Seltzer's raspberry flavor. I miss those.
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/06/27 00:16:56 (permalink)
quote:

The local soda pop of choice in the Detroit metro area while I was there is Faygo - they had a pile of different flavors around 1970 when I was there, including one called Frosh, aimed at more grown-up tastes. I wouldn't mind finding something like that nowadays - hard as anything to find a good grapefruit soda or the likes of Schweppe's Bitter Lemon at my local supermarts.

I have started seeing Faygo in our area, the Triangle in NC. I tried 3 flavors today... here are my thoughts on them......
1- Peach: fair flavor but has an unpleasant odor, think musty feet.
2- Moon Mist: not bad for a Mountain Dew clone.
3- Grape: BINGO... think Grape Crush from the late 70's early 80's. I plan on going and buying a case or two of the grape.

Sioux Me-Me
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/10 23:23:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jeffskal

I didn't go to Samuel Gompers because I didn't move to my uncle's house on Woodbine Ave (at 53rd) until Junior High (Masterman) - but then I went to Overbrook HS for a year before moving to Atlantic City. There were a bunch of Gompers kids at the 'Brook, including a close friend I'm still in contact with. I graduated HS in '70. If you were from the same era, we probably know some people... it's that six degrees principle, I guess.

And just to stay within topic, does anyone remember a soda with a very shapely bottle (think female), started with a "B" - something like Berleys, or Breyleys? Also there was a gas station on Castor Ave. near my house in Juniata Park (*THIS* was during elementary school, Clara Barton in fact) that sold these smallish soda bottles out of a fridge, but great flavors like cream and cherry... wish I could remember *that* name.

I also have very fond memories of Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak (Wishniak will probably always be a mystery), Dad's Root Beer, Ma's Root Beer (sense a pattern here?), Hires of course, and Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer (the latter mostly when I was in Atlantic City for some reason). I was also a Yoo Hoo fan.

I also remember when I was quite younger the local corner store had a soda cooler that kept the bottles in cold water (I still remember the smell of that water, not unpleasant); some versions of these had a coin-operated system and you had to move the bottle through slots to get it out of the cooler.
Sioux Me-Me
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/10 23:43:47 (permalink)

Does anyone remember a soda with a very shapely bottle (think female), started with a "B" - something like Berleys, or Breyleys? Also there was a gas station on Castor Ave. near my house in Juniata Park (*THIS* was during elementary school, Clara Barton in fact) that sold these smallish soda bottles out of a fridge, but great flavors like cream and cherry... wish I could remember *that* name.

Could it have been Bireley's brand? They are most known for their non-carbonated orange drink. But I have found reference to a strawberry and even tomato flavor sold out of cans. They were based out of Hollywood, CA. It appears the Bireley's brand is now made by a Japanese company. Although, I have seen the "original" Los Angeles Bireley's orange drink for sale through the soda pop shop web site. It is sold in glass bottles but not the curvaceous ones you remember. They were clear but stippled and originally had pog tops like milk bottles and I saw an old magazine advertisement which stated you could even have Bireley's delivered to your home by the milkman. My parent's were not pop people and I grew up in a dairy state. I remember my dad's bitter homemade rootbeer and the treat on long station wagon vacations of Holiday gas station brand pop. But I work at a museum and was just cataloguing a Bireley's bottle - which was sold to a curator filled with sugar and with a local diary pog bottle cap as a milk bottle. My internet searches today prove otherwise.

sweetgherkin
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/11 00:48:23 (permalink)
Tomato soda?? I would love to try that one!

The local sodas I can think of here in the NW have already been mentioned, I don't know how local they are anymore - Henry Weinhards (yummy cherry and orange cream sodas), Thomas Kemper (ditto), Jones Soda Co. (haven't tried any of them, but they look interesting. They had a Turkey and Gravy flavor last Thanksgiving I think? That sold like crazy. Hmmm.) I remember the Poppe Shoppe too!! I've known Shasta sodas all my life, and I really miss New York Seltzer, especially the root beer and cherry flavors. I also really miss Sprite Tropical Remix, I have heard there is a similar 7-Up tropical-sort of soda sold only in Canada?? I might have to try and find that one.
daveritzdog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/11 00:49:26 (permalink)
Wow, all this talk about soda is makin' me nostalgic for childhood flavors, and of a Coke that was once made with real sugar! Does anyone out there know where I might purchase the Coca-Cola that is imported from Mexico, and made with real sugar, here in New York City? I've tried the Boylan's brand made with real cane sugar, and I must say it has a distinctive flavor, but not as good as the flavor of my childhood Coke!
jeffskal
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/11 01:36:06 (permalink)
At Passover, Los Angeles Coca-Cola makes 2 liter Cokes with sugar, topped with a spacial yellow cap to signify that it's Kosher for Passover.
quote:
Originally posted by daveritzdog

Wow, all this talk about soda is makin' me nostalgic for childhood flavors, and of a Coke that was once made with real sugar! Does anyone out there know where I might purchase the Coca-Cola that is imported from Mexico, and made with real sugar, here in New York City? I've tried the Boylan's brand made with real cane sugar, and I must say it has a distinctive flavor, but not as good as the flavor of my childhood Coke!
jeffskal
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/11 01:38:22 (permalink)
It WAS Bireleys indeed... I had no idea that this soda came from my present home town :) the reference below was to a neighborhood in Philadelphia, where I grew up...
quote:
Originally posted by Sioux Me-Me

quote:
Does anyone remember a soda with a very shapely bottle (think female), started with a "B" - something like Berleys, or Breyleys? Also there was a gas station on Castor Ave. near my house in Juniata Park (*THIS* was during elementary school, Clara Barton in fact) that sold these smallish soda bottles out of a fridge, but great flavors like cream and cherry... wish I could remember *that* name.

Could it have been Bireley's brand? They are most known for their non-carbonated orange drink. But I have found reference to a strawberry and even tomato flavor sold out of cans. They were based out of Hollywood, CA. It appears the Bireley's brand is now made by a Japanese company. Although, I have seen the "original" Los Angeles Bireley's orange drink for sale through the soda pop shop web site. It is sold in glass bottles but not the curvaceous ones you remember. They were clear but stippled and originally had pog tops like milk bottles and I saw an old magazine advertisement which stated you could even have Bireley's delivered to your home by the milkman. My parent's were not pop people and I grew up in a dairy state. I remember my dad's bitter homemade rootbeer and the treat on long station wagon vacations of Holiday gas station brand pop. But I work at a museum and was just cataloguing a Bireley's bottle - which was sold to a curator filled with sugar and with a local diary pog bottle cap as a milk bottle. My internet searches today prove otherwise.

bahabalyn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/11 02:06:06 (permalink)
The pure cane sugar version of Dr Pepper you can buy locally in Waco, Tx is wonderful......I wish they had it where I'm at.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15183
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/11 02:11:09 (permalink)
Annie Oakley- Big Red Hasn't altered the flavor...It was always the Bubble Gum Soda it is today. I have lost my desire for it over the years, but since the 70's have tried to renew my addiction (and failed) many times. I think your memory is linked to Faygo's REDPOP!

Vince- Faygo will go down in history as the inventor of "RedPop". I think that's what Annie was thinking of with her comments on Big Red. We still see REDPOP in the convenience stores here in Kentuciana...and sometimes a big Kroger Store will carry it.
greasewheel
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/14 09:47:49 (permalink)
I didn't read thru the whole thread but I was wondering if anyone has seen a soda I believe is or was made by Shasta called Tahitian Treat. It was kind of like a carbonated fruit punch. I think the last time I had one was a couple of years ago from a corner store in San Francisco. Any info would be appreciated.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/14 12:20:50 (permalink)
I had mentioned in an earlier post that our local favorite is Sun Drop . It is sold in the Carolinas and adjoining states. This month is thier 50th Anniversary and they are selling replica glass bottles of the Sun Drop that looks like the original glass bottles for only 1.00. I had one Saturday and it was as good as I remember the earlier ones tasting. It is a yellow colored citrus tasting drink, especially popular with the teens as it is loaded with caffeine.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15183
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/14 12:42:48 (permalink)
Greasewheel- Canada Dry made/makes the Tahitian Treat soda. I see it in the grocery stores here in the Ohio Valley and it is (at times) in the soda dispensers at some of the convenience stores in this area too.
MikoEats
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/16 13:45:12 (permalink)
Al -- I bet you are right; REDPOP rings a bell. I'll have to find some and let you know if that's the taste I'm remembering.
greasewheel
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/16 14:55:52 (permalink)
Thanks for the info Al. Meanwhile, thanks to the power of the internet, I found a site that carries it and will ship it as well. http://www.hometownfavorites.com It's an interesting site. They carry alot of stuff I haven't seen on supermarket shelves in years!
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 749
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/16 15:17:06 (permalink)
quote:

Dave- Check out any of the 5 million bodegas in NYC..it is usually just individual GLASS bottles in the coolers...usually stuck in with the Mexican flavored sodas....NOT with the regular bottles of Coke...sometimes they will also have Pepsi with sugar and other brands such as Orange Crush too...
Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/16 15:27:20 (permalink)
I know this is late but I wanted to thank VINELADY for her link to Soda King.. I ordered from them and was VERY happy with the product and service.. I would recommend them to all here looking for eclectic or hard to find sodas.
Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/16 17:36:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

quote:

Dave- Check out any of the 5 million bodegas in NYC..it is usually just individual GLASS bottles in the coolers...usually stuck in with the Mexican flavored sodas....NOT with the regular bottles of Coke...sometimes they will also have Pepsi with sugar and other brands such as Orange Crush too...

Ya know I'd never heard the word "bodega" until I watched NYPD Blue.. lol.. didn't know we had dozens of em around here in Fresno, they just don't call em that here.. but most of em do carry the glass bottled, real sugar, name brand sodas.
a noid
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/18 09:17:52 (permalink)
Since I haven't read ALL the posts here, I'm just going to throw out:

Cliquot Club (with the little Eskimo)
Fruit Bowl (really sweet, sure I wouldn't like it now)
Dr. Schedd's (Dad used to use the lime as a mixer in gin)
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/18 10:19:22 (permalink)
We touched on Cliquot Club. Many people remember that one.
kirklstruble1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/18 11:43:54 (permalink)
The best thing about these local soda makers is their ability to make more "obscure" flavors that might not be as commercially viable (but still tasty.) Has anyone ever had Foxon's Iron Brew (strange...it tastes like rust) or Hosmer Mountain's Orange Dry? Excellent stuff.
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2004/07/18 13:02:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by greasewheel

I didn't read thru the whole thread but I was wondering if anyone has seen a soda I believe is or was made by Shasta called Tahitian Treat. It was kind of like a carbonated fruit punch. I think the last time I had one was a couple of years ago from a corner store in San Francisco. Any info would be appreciated.

I remember Tahitian Treat in the pop machine at work when I lived in LA. I was in small glass bottles, maybe 10 oz. bottles and I really liked its fruity taste - in an artifical way. Haven't seen shasta since moving back to the midwest.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 19
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1