Regional Sodas (or Pops)

Page: << < ..16171819 > Showing page 16 of 19
Author
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/07/17 23:04:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by octopus

Tacchino, I live in Near Saratoga. you in upstate or from upstate?

Octopus:
Born and raised in Ithaca, now living in New York City.
theheirloomhunter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/07/20 01:17:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sioux Me-Me

Does anyone remember a soda with a very shapely bottle (think female), started with a "B" - something like Berleys, or Breyleys? Also there was a gas station on Castor Ave. near my house in Juniata Park (*THIS* was during elementary school, Clara Barton in fact) that sold these smallish soda bottles out of a fridge, but great flavors like cream and cherry... wish I could remember *that* name.

Could it have been Bireley's brand? They are most known for their non-carbonated orange drink. But I have found reference to a strawberry and even tomato flavor sold out of cans. They were based out of Hollywood, CA. It appears the Bireley's brand is now made by a Japanese company. Although, I have seen the "original" Los Angeles Bireley's orange drink for sale through the soda pop shop web site. It is sold in glass bottles but not the curvaceous ones you remember. They were clear but stippled and originally had pog tops like milk bottles and I saw an old magazine advertisement which stated you could even have Bireley's delivered to your home by the milkman. My parent's were not pop people and I grew up in a dairy state. I remember my dad's bitter homemade rootbeer and the treat on long station wagon vacations of Holiday gas station brand pop. But I work at a museum and was just cataloguing a Bireley's bottle - which was sold to a curator filled with sugar and with a local diary pog bottle cap as a milk bottle. My internet searches today prove otherwise.

garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 709
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/07/20 01:55:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Boston Baked Bean

Does anyone else remember Ramblin' Root Beer? I believe Coca-Cola made that one.
Also, is Mello Yello still around? I live in Massachusetts and haven't seen that one in a long time.
In Fall River, MA there was a soda company called White Eagle. The soda came in glass bottles and you returned them to the bottling company when emptied. I think they went bye-bye in the early '80s.
Also, does anyone remember a place called The Pop Shoppe? My grandfather used to go there to get small glass bottles of crazy soda flavors. You bought the mixed soda flavors by the case and like White Eagle, you returned the empties. I can remember the sodas being strange colors like gumball blue and neon green.
I read the prior posts and to see names like Cott and Cliquot Club...boy, that brings back memories!

You should find Ramblin' root beer and mello yellow on link below!

http://www.virtualvender.coca-cola.com/vm/Vending.jsp
theheirloomhunter
Junior Burger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/07/20 01:59:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sioux Me-Me

Does anyone remember a soda with a very shapely bottle (think female), started with a "B" - something like Berleys, or Breyleys? Also there was a gas station on Castor Ave. near my house in Juniata Park (*THIS* was during elementary school, Clara Barton in fact) that sold these smallish soda bottles out of a fridge, but great flavors like cream and cherry... wish I could remember *that* name.

Could it have been Bireley's brand? They are most known for their non-carbonated orange drink. But I have found reference to a strawberry and even tomato flavor sold out of cans. They were based out of Hollywood, CA. It appears the Bireley's brand is now made by a Japanese company. Although, I have seen the "original" Los Angeles Bireley's orange drink for sale through the soda pop shop web site. It is sold in glass bottles but not the curvaceous ones you remember. They were clear but stippled and originally had pog tops like milk bottles and I saw an old magazine advertisement which stated you could even have Bireley's delivered to your home by the milkman. My parent's were not pop people and I grew up in a dairy state. I remember my dad's bitter homemade rootbeer and the treat on long station wagon vacations of Holiday gas station brand pop. But I work at a museum and was just cataloguing a Bireley's bottle - which was sold to a curator filled with sugar and with a local diary pog bottle cap as a milk bottle. My internet searches today prove otherwise.

Yes, Bireley's fruit beverages were originally distributed by the milkman. In the late 1930's my father was one of those miilkmen in the Hollywood, California area where the Bireley's manufacturing plant was located. He then went on to become the company's first official independent distributor of the product with his own fleet of converted mik trucks complete with the bireleys logo on them. Later he and his trucks became a part of the Bireley's company. He rose in the company to become the District Manager of the Western States and in the 1950's he became National Sales Manager for the Bireley's company. In the early years the bottles did have a wide mouth top and an "hour glass" type of shape as described by Sioux Me-Me.Due to the simular shape of the bottles, both the pint size and quart, to milk bottles- they are often mistaken by collectors and price guides for a milk bottle. The original product was called "Orangeade".Later there were many other non-carbonated flavors produced by Bireley's some of which included: Grape, Black Cherry, Berry,Grapefruit, Pineapple,Chocolate,tomato( often used by the cocktail market) and even one carbonated Root Beer. Bireley's was a wonderful and very high quality product. It would have put most of the juice products on the market today to shame. Bireley's was just ahead of it's time in an era of the carbonated soda surge of Coke and Pepsi. Boy, what I wouldn't give to have just one more swig of the Bireley's Black Cherry or Berry. It was the best of the best in juice drinks.

kidlightning
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/08/21 11:49:24 (permalink)
I don't know if this will get to the right person, since it has been out there for awhile, but someone was wanting to know about A&W root beer. You can get 2 liter bottles and cans right here in the good old midwest. I have a bottle here in my house. But, you can alos get 1 liter bottles of dog 'n' suds root beer, which is far superior.
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/08/21 12:38:17 (permalink)
AAhhhhhh... Frank's Black Cherry!! Dad's Rootbeer... Blasts from the past... On a recent trip to BigLots I found qts of IBC Cream Soda for .78, I stacked up on a case..
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/08/21 13:42:19 (permalink)

Yeah our WalMart now stocks both IBC and Stewarts in various sizes and flavors. Interesting how they show up after quite a long time without them locally.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/08/21 17:12:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by HerronDetroit is home to Faygo. It has many different varieties (I like Rock 'n Rye).

I see Faygo in Milwaukee's Dollar Stores at $1 a sixer or three liter bottle.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/08/21 17:15:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stanpnepa50/50 and WINK (grapefruit! Yum!)

Never heard of Wink, but 50/50 comes out of Chicago. It used to be a Graf's brand from Milwaukee, but now it's a Jolly Good brand. It's still pretty good.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/08/21 17:44:09 (permalink)
Mich, you ever try Black Bear's line of soda?
I guess because of early conditioning, I've never found a cola that I like better than the big 3's.
When I tried my first Jamaican Ting, I said "This tastes like 50-50"!
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/08/25 18:47:26 (permalink)
I 've not searched the whole thread to check this but one drink/soda I would nominate is Ale-8 which as far as I know is only found in Kentucky and I suppose would be a kin to Mountain Dew.
Kaileen
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/09/28 22:06:57 (permalink)
Ale-8-One rocks. I have to buy it online, but you can get cases shipped to you. It's a ginger ale, made in Winchester, KY. At one time, it was only sold in a 100 mile radius from the plant in Winchester. The farthest south I've seen it is Bowling Green.

It has caffeine, but not as much as you would think. Legend has it that Ale-8 has more than Dew, but the website disproves that.

The website, where you can order bottles, cans, and even Diet Ale-8, also has shirts, hats, and other memorabilia on it. It's one of the things I truly miss about Kentucky (besides Dean's chocolate milk).

www.ale8one.com
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/09/29 16:54:47 (permalink)
Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but Saranac (the maker of Saranac Beers - you may be able to get the mixed 12-pack) makes a great root beer called 1888.

Also, in Syracuse, NY the Syracuse Suds Factory makes a good root beer.

And Ithaca Soda Co. makes an absolutely fantastic Root beer. I think it even has hops in it!

burp!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/10/03 11:12:25 (permalink)

Trying to catch up on this thread is difficult because it seems that the 'flavors' and brands are numbered in the hundreds...

First- WINK- the tag line was "WINK, The Sassy One from Canada Dry." Sweeter than Squirt and more carbonation. I used to love it !

Second- I bought a 12 pack of CHEERWINE this past week. The label now shows CORN SWEETENER where CANE SUGAR used to be the prime sweetener! Still tastes pretty good though.(Purchased at a Southern Indiana Grocery)

Ale-81 is available all over the greater Louisville area, including Indiana stores near us. It's good, but if I want Ginger Ale I will buy VERNOR'S !!

Burgerman1
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/10/10 16:22:10 (permalink)
This thread is way to long to read every post....

If you are in the southern piedmont of NC, you've got to rememeber Sundrop and Cheerywine...both are still made today and are regionally very popular! If you get a chance to try either one...go for it!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Orangeades from the local drug store fountain. That fresh squeezed orange with a super sweet syrup and water over crushed ice. Please don't tell me this was just in NC??? If it is ya'll really missed something delicious!

Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/10/10 19:17:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by garryd451

quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Turn on the 1970's or 80's memory files and see who recall's the AD campaign for Dr. Pepper that pushed using it as a HOT beverage...Steaming Mug with a Lemon Slice floating on top, Winter scene, kids playing in the snow, Mom(?) watching out the frosted window as she sipped the hot beverage???? It had to be that era, as we moved to Louisville (the first time) in 1978, and I recall the AD's being run on TV here. Never tried it Hot.

Mr Mayor, my sainted grandmother used to fix me this treat at my request back in the mid 60's.. it really was tasty... you should try it!

I remember the Hot Dr. Pepper Ads, but my menory tells me, these ads are from the late 1950's or early 1960's.........

I remember it as ca. 1964...but I also remember it ref'ed on the 1970s show 'Barney Miller' when Nick made it in lieu of coffee (and surprised Barney, not in a good way).
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 643
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/10/10 19:49:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Burgerman1

This thread is way to long to read every post....

If you are in the southern piedmont of NC, you've got to rememeber Sundrop and Cheerywine...both are still made today and are regionally very popular! If you get a chance to try either one...go for it!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Orangeades from the local drug store fountain. That fresh squeezed orange with a super sweet syrup and water over crushed ice. Please don't tell me this was just in NC??? If it is ya'll really missed something delicious!

Sun Drop soda actually started in St Louis back in the 30's or 40's. It was seen primarily in smaller towns throughout the midwest and mid-south. The small town where I grew up in Illinois actually had a franchised Sun Drop bottler. I've run into it (sadly not recently) in Ky, Ark, Mo, Tenn, but hadn't seen it in the Carolinas. I think it peaked in the 60's and has waned ever sense. We loved it when I was cruising the main drag in my distant youth. Thanks for mentioning it and bringing back the memory.
QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/10/10 21:16:35 (permalink)
While waiting for the Bourbon Tour group to finish their inspection of the George Dickel Distillery (Tullahoma,TN) last weekend Jan and I enjoyed some Sundrop "Golden Cola" (tasted a bit like Mountain Dew). It was in Glass 12 oz bottles with pop-tops (not screw-tops). Ice cold, it was good stuff.
Kaileen
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/10/11 18:33:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Ale-81 is available all over the greater Louisville area, including Indiana stores near us. It's good, but if I want Ginger Ale I will buy VERNOR'S !!

I still love Vernors. I can at least get that down here. While I was a student at Campbellsville College (now University), there was a little deli around the corner called Jeff's Food Mart. It was really a small shop, but they made the best sandwiches. At that point, we didn't have a meal in the cafeteria on Sunday evenings, so I would walk around the corner to Jeff's and get a salami and swiss on rye, a bag of Munchos and either a Vernor's or an IBC Root Beer.

Ah. Those were the days.
sprtsqt
Junior Burger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/10/15 17:05:52 (permalink)
You should all try retrosoda.com they have tons of retro glass bottle soda that is fresh and you can drink! Rememember Quench Soda from 15 years ago? They have that. And Moxie and 60 other different flavors. SOme of them even have the cane sugar and the bottles are awesome. they ship anywhere in the US too! its worth it!!
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/10/15 17:50:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but Saranac (the maker of Saranac Beers - you may be able to get the mixed 12-pack) makes a great root beer called 1888.

Saranac also makes excellent Orange Cream and Ginger Beer sodas.

Tacchino mentioned looking for Snapple Jamaican Ginger Beer which I haven't tried, so I can't compare; but if Saranac is stocked in NYC and you see some Ginger Beer, try it.
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/10/16 00:02:03 (permalink)
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET GREEN RIVER SODA IN FLORIDA?
iheartsoda
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/10/16 00:09:56 (permalink)
That retrosoda.com is pretty cool you are right! They have green river too, but they arent in FL. But if anyone really wanted it I guess its worth it to order it. They had dr. pepper with the original formula, that was good!
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1193
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/10/17 13:08:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Vince Macek

quote:
Originally posted by garryd451

quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Turn on the 1970's or 80's memory files and see who recall's the AD campaign for Dr. Pepper that pushed using it as a HOT beverage...Steaming Mug with a Lemon Slice floating on top, Winter scene, kids playing in the snow, Mom(?) watching out the frosted window as she sipped the hot beverage???? It had to be that era, as we moved to Louisville (the first time) in 1978, and I recall the AD's being run on TV here. Never tried it Hot.

Mr Mayor, my sainted grandmother used to fix me this treat at my request back in the mid 60's.. it really was tasty... you should try it!

I remember the Hot Dr. Pepper Ads, but my menory tells me, these ads are from the late 1950's or early 1960's.........

I remember it as ca. 1964...but I also remember it ref'ed on the 1970s show 'Barney Miller' when Nick made it in lieu of coffee (and surprised Barney, not in a good way).

I remember hot Dr. Pepper being a mainstay of bonfire / hayride type events with our church's youth group back in the 19(mumblemumble)s. I had completely forgotten about it.

My memories of that drink are that it was rather odd. I've since changed religions and discovered hot mulled wine and hot mulled cider. Which are swell. Really.
brewman1969
Junior Burger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/11/16 02:05:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Hillbilly Bread! Haven't thought of that in years!

Is Delaware Punch still available anywhere? I couldn't find any during my annual trip to Texas a couple months ago...

You can try...

www.delawarepunch.org
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/11/17 01:02:25 (permalink)
Growing up in Newark, NJ, the soda of choice, delivered to your house by the case, along with seltzer in those colored siphon bottles, was Boller and Hoffman. Nehi was available at the corner candy store.
The Bear
sprtsqt
Junior Burger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/11/17 07:52:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Growing up in Newark, NJ, the soda of choice, delivered to your house by the case, along with seltzer in those colored siphon bottles, was Boller and Hoffman. Nehi was available at the corner candy store.
The Bear

Ya know, you can still get Nehi! I bought Nehi Peach, Orange and Grape from retrosoda.com
brings back great memories!
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2005/11/17 09:12:28 (permalink)
This may be of interest...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10397
kent foret
Junior Burger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2006/02/07 17:49:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by nvillekat

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by RockyB

I was wondering if anyone remembers a soda called "Pomac"? It was marketed around the late 60's as the "Soft Drink from the Continent".
Does anyone remember this stuff, and does anyone know who made it?

Yep! I remember Pomac very well. I lived in Memphis, TN beginning in the late '60's. My cousins and i used to walk to a little corner grocery and buy it. We thought it tasted like beer (or at least what we THOUGHT beer tasted like!). It was great, but have not seen it in YEARS>
lennonlover2005
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 62
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2006/03/12 02:10:33 (permalink)
Well I decided to post this because I could not find the Root beer thread....So if you like DAD's rootbeer, I found out that PAMIDA'S carried the regular version and the diet version. this store chain is usually ins small towns in the midwest. Does anyone know if this root beer taste ok?
Page: << < ..16171819 > Showing page 16 of 19
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1