The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Regional Sodas (or Pops)

Change Page: << < ..111213141516171819 > | Showing page 18 of 19, messages 511 to 540 of 564
Wabbit

• Total Posts: 477
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sun, 09/28/08 8:31 PM (permalink)
Thanks Mayor, I really miss Meijers too, living in NC now so we are blessed in BBQ, but there are some MICH thinks such as Faygo I dearly miss. I did find it in Alabama once while traveling for work.

Rt66Mike

• Total Posts: 155
    RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Mon, 09/29/08 6:24 AM (permalink)
    Few things are as good as a Sun Drop in a glass bottle - made with real sugar, with the citrus pulp at the bottom - awesome stuff. The local Bowling Green, MO Pepsi bottler makes Sun Drop and Cheerwine around here.

Another great soda around the St. Louis area is Fitz's Root Beer, which can be found many places. And of course the Vess line of sodas (Fruit Punch is my favorite, and Whistle Orange), and the stuff is generally as cheap as the generic grocery store stuff.

And any time I make it into Southern Illinois, I try to make a trip by the Excel Bottling Co, and pick up some Ski & Frostie Root Beer in glass bottles. Awesome stuff.

Rt66Mike

• Total Posts: 155
      RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Mon, 09/29/08 6:27 AM (permalink)
      Oh- Forgot to mention, if you have Dollar Tree stores in your area, most if not all of them carry 3 liter bottles of various flavors of Faygo including the "Redpop" and Orange.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Tue, 09/30/08 5:13 PM (permalink)
        MY SPRECHER Puma Cola andCherry Cola arrived today. I ordered a 12 pk of each last week and now I can sip some good soda for a couple of weeks ! I ordered a 12 pack for my cherry coke loving daughter in Baraboo, WI and she got it in less than 24 hours!...and she is now hopelessly addicted to it. !

This is very good soda !

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
          RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Wed, 10/1/08 8:55 AM (permalink)

OK Time for a taste-test report. When I ordered the Cherry Cola and Puma Kola from Sprechers recently I had enjoyed the Cherry Cola previously..It is fantastic !

I had not tried the Puma Kola previously. It is indeed a unique flavor...not so much a cola but a vanilla and spice cross between root beer and cola. It lists Vanila and Cinnamon and Honey among its ingredients. It leaves a mild sweet-spicy aftertaste that is sort of suprising to the newbie trying the soda for the first time. It is NOT an unpleasant aftertaste!! It makes a good 'sipping' beverage as opposed to a 'gulping' thirst solver.

I think I could build a liking for the Puma Kola, if accessibility were better. As it is (hard to get!) I will savor the 12 that I have and look for it again when we head to the Great White North (Wisconsin) next Spring.

dasl_4

• Total Posts: 187
            RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Mon, 10/13/08 10:30 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Wabbit

I would love to find some Faygo in Kiwi-strawberry flavor.

Florida has it .. Albertson's and Dollar stores carry it

jonjax71

• Total Posts: 435
              About Ironbeer, "Cuba's soda" Sun, 04/5/09 11:05 PM (permalink)
              I like Ironbeer soda, not pronounced as spelled iron beer but in Spanish, it is eeeronberr. It has a unique fruity-bubblegummy taste, kinda like a blend of sweet clear cream soda and Dr Pepper

It was created in the USA in the early 1900s and it was taken to Cuba where it became a sensation. A few years after it was introduced in the US it went out of buisness but its Cuban branch flourished and it became a Cuban soft drink company until 1959 when it set up shop in Miami, the same company also bottles Jupinya, a sweet pineapple soda that was very popular in Cuba sponsoring TV and radio music shows with Cuba's biggest names

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sun, 04/5/09 11:24 PM (permalink)
                does anyone remember Richardson rootbeer stands. it was a typical drivein featuring their rootbeer

ynotryme

RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sun, 04/5/09 11:35 PM (permalink)
                  dad's was one of my favorites growing up. I always thought it had a stronger root beer flavor than the rest. oddly enough if you buy a&w in dark bottles versus the clear bottles, it has a more intense flavor.

ynotryme

RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sun, 04/5/09 11:44 PM (permalink)
                    one of the local mexican restaurants offer both mexican coke and pepsi 16 oz bottles for $1:50

Angelle

• Total Posts: 43
                      RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Tue, 04/7/09 4:14 PM (permalink)
                      When I was a kid in Los Angeles, we drank a lot of Delaware Punch, Nesbitt, Orange & strawberry Crush,  Nehi, Pepsi Cola, RC Cola,  and Bubble Up. 

Aww man we would go to the original Fat Burger and order a foot long chili dog & a strawberry Crush! Nothing tasted better than that!

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                        RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Tue, 04/7/09 4:43 PM (permalink)
                        I never had a RC Cola til I got down to Alabama in 1970.

jerrstan

• Total Posts: 10
                          RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 04/9/09 3:17 AM (permalink)
                          chicagostyledog

Many years before Yoo Hoo hit the Lake Michigan shores of Chicago, Kayo Chocolate drink was king.

Hi everyone!  I'm new here but wanted to chime in.
                          Choc-ola seems to fit in right here also.

jerrstan

• Total Posts: 10
                            RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 04/9/09 3:28 AM (permalink)
                            Mark in Ohio

In southern Ohio, we have Gem soda, which is made and bottled in little Wellston in Jackson County, lots of flavors.

Mark, I've been to Wellston and have enjoyed Gem soda.  Will be through there in about six weeks and will have more.

rackpoint10

• Total Posts: 2
                              RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/21/09 3:48 PM (permalink)
                              I live outside of Philly and have been searching high and low for an A-Treat distributor.  Is it still bottled in Allentown?  I have a case of 32 oz. returnable bottles (all twelve different flavors) and wanted to know if they still bottled them in that fashion.  Any information would be appreciated.

TFitz

• Total Posts: 63
                                RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/21/09 6:13 PM (permalink)
                                In Baltimore back in the 60's there was a brand called Suburban and in addition to the regular flavors they had a soda called Almond Smash. I don't know if there is a soad on the market today that is similar but I remember that I liked it as a kid. I couldn't begin to describe what it tasted like.

MissLillie

• Total Posts: 2
                                  RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Wed, 09/16/09 9:45 PM (permalink)
                                  If anyone knows where I can get Moxie shipped from, reasonably, I would be one happy camper.  I found one place online recently and it was only $12.00 for 24- 12oz. cans but the shipping cost was $35.00.  I was definately not that thirsty.  I have gotten it shipped to me in the past at a much lower rate.  I think around $20.00 including shipping but have lost the name and phone number.  I love Moxie.  Always drank it as a child and whenever I could get my hands on it since but its been a long time now and I would really appreciate any help.  Thanks, Miss Lillie

Treetop Tom

• Total Posts: 321
                                    RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 09/17/09 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                    TFitz

In Baltimore back in the 60's there was a brand called Suburban and in addition to the regular flavors they had a soda called Almond Smash. I don't know if there is a soad on the market today that is similar but I remember that I liked it as a kid. I couldn't begin to describe what it tasted like.

You can still get Suburban Almond Smash and Golden Ginger Ale sodas in 2L bottles at any Mars Food Store in the Baltimore Metro area.  It is a tart cherry soda with a smooth almond finish and has been one of my faves for many years. 

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
                                      RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Tue, 11/24/09 6:16 PM (permalink)
                                      John Tebeau has a cool vintage Vernor's painting today:
                                      http://johntebeau.wordpre...-paintings-in-30-days/

[link=http://johntebeau.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/vintage-vernors-day-24-of-30-paintings-in-30-days/][/link]

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Tue, 11/24/09 7:38 PM (permalink)
                                        My Wisconsin-based son is driving down for the Holiday in a little Ford Focus, bringing his Dad 14 four-packs of Sprecher's Cherry Cola and a couple more of Raven'Red Cherry/Cranberry Soda. He wants to unload it ASAP as it is weighing down the car !!

I am excited about receiving my annual "Christmas inventory"!
                                        <message edited by mayor al on Tue, 11/24/09 7:40 PM>

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                          RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 11/27/09 4:09 PM (permalink)
                                          For November 24th, the restaurant reviewed was the Dawg House in New Britain, CT. Michael Stern commented about the excellent root beer produced by Avery Beverages of New Britain, CT.

Our Thanksgiving Day gathering had a large number of people taking "Do not consume alcohol" medications. So, our hosts laid in a supply of Avery Beverages. For laughs, they also included some of Avery's novelty line of "gross" sodas, with names such as Dog Drool Soda, Toxic Slime, and Kitty Piddle. Kitty Piddle was a very tasty Orange/Pineapple soda, also made with cane sugar. According to my hosts, Avery's distribution is confined to the Hartford, CT area.

Avery even registered a secondary URL for their web site: totallygrosssoda.com

njsmitty

• Total Posts: 7
                                            RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 11/27/09 7:02 PM (permalink)

I've had sodas from all four of Connecticut's mom-and-pop bottlers and I have to rate Avery's third, behind Foxon Park (East Haven) and Hosmer Mountain (Willimantic) and ahead of Castle (Ansonia).

Foxon Park white birch beer and pizza from Modern -- a perfect combination.

Tastytoo

• Total Posts: 271
                                              RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Mon, 01/11/10 4:09 AM (permalink)
                                              Filbert's root beer in Chicago.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 05/28/10 1:36 PM (permalink)
                                                Two Special Sales 500 miles apart have sparked a big buy activity for me.

1. Up in Baraboo, WI my daughter has found the Sprecher's Soda (Cherry Cola and Raven Red-Cranberry) At a local Feed/Hardware Store for $2.00 a four pack of 16 oz bottles.  She bought a bunch and will send it down with one of her Hoosier Brothers who will be visiting over this holiday weekend!

2. At the local supermarket Vernor's is selling this weekend for FOUR 12 pack cans for $10. That's only $2.50 a 12 pack...normally $5.00 here.  Another Bargain !!

Same local market sells FAYGO- All Flavors- 20 oz bottles for 40 cents from the soda case by the registers. Now and then I have to have a "REDPOP" !!

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                                                  RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 05/28/10 2:19 PM (permalink)
                                                  Al, you don't have to go as far away as Baraboo, WI, to get your Sprecher's.  (I am pretty sure your daughter found it at Blain's Farm & Fleet, since we have one here in Morton that carries it.)  There is also a Farm & Fleet in Champaign-Urbana, IL, a lot closer to you:  http://www.farmandfleet.com/stores/urbana.aspx

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 05/28/10 2:42 PM (permalink)
                                                    Thanks for  the tip...What makes it easy to use the Baraboo connection is that one of my Louisville-based off-spring is going to visit his sister up there and will haul $50 worth of the 4 packs back down here !  I believe you are correct in the name of the chain!

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
                                                      RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Wed, 06/2/10 8:35 AM (permalink)
                                                      I brought back two 12-packs of Double Cola from Chattanooga this weekend.  I don't drink as much soda as I used to, so these might last me three or four months.

I stopped into a teeny little import shop on the square in Marietta and found four cans of Vimto, which I've not had in years.  They were obscenely expensive - $1.85 a can! - but I suppose the novelty is worth it.

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                                                        RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Wed, 06/2/10 9:42 AM (permalink)
                                                        Here in Texas, around San Antonio you can find Shasta soda.It's mainly at like Dollar Tree, 99Cent Only, family Dollar and Big Lot Stores.Big Red is bottled here too.You can buy Vernor's here and IBC. We also have Jarillto's which is from mexico and carried by H.E.B. Grocery Stores who have their own brand of soda called Hill Country Fare.Got that name because  the company started in the 1900s in Kerrville,Texas, in the Texas Hill Country. I have seen Hansen's Natural Sodas  and Jones Soda's as well as Izzy's.Haven't found Jolt by Coca Cola here, but have found it in New Braunfels and Seguin in the Valero Gas stores.
                                                        We also have mexican Coca Cola here to.I think there is another brand of mexican soda in the stores here, but can't recall the name. We also have Pepsi with lime, and Royal Crown ,RC Cola, both regular and cherry flavour.
                                                        I've seen Fanta sodas.In fact a year or two ago, the Fanta Girls were up at the Walmart at NE Loop 1604 and Nacogdoches Road
                                                        in NE San Antonio. Don't know if I have seen Faygo, though it's possible. We have Lipton's Brisk teas here.One of the flavours is a strawberry melon flavour that's not to bad.
                                                        I have also seen cans of Tab soda in H.E.B. I remember that from when I was a kid. Still have Fresca too.I remember Squirt. Trying to think where i have seen it recently.In any case, going to have to buy a bottle of it to see if it still tastes like it did in the 1960s and 70s when I grew up.I have also seen Frostie and Dad's Rootbeer too.

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                                                          • Location: Schertz, TX
                                                          RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Wed, 06/2/10 9:54 AM (permalink)
                                                          We have DietRite Soda, Orange Crush and Nehi too.

sonjaab

• Total Posts: 193
                                                            • Location: Syracuse, NY
                                                            RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sun, 07/18/10 3:33 AM (permalink)
                                                            How about Ma's Root Beer?  Made by a small indy. bottler long ago in Syracuse NY.

Anybody remember Tahitian Treat soda?  In my neck of the woods it was made by Canada Dry.
                                                            It is now made by 7 Up/Dr. Pepper bottlers.

<message edited by sonjaab on Sun, 07/18/10 3:40 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..111213141516171819 > | Showing page 18 of 19, messages 511 to 540 of 564

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com