Regional Sodas (or Pops)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 19
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/13 18:49:39 (permalink)
When I was 9 years old, I got my first job carrying papers. I had a 6 mile route which I used my bike over East Tennessee hills. I had 100 customers and made $3.00 weekly for working 7 days every week. No benefits, no vacation or anything else except $3.00. It sounds bad, but at that time, I had more money than anyone else I knew. Every day and I mean every day, I stopped at this little country grocery store and bought a "Grapette" which cost a nickle and a nickle paper box of ice cream. The "Grapette" was a 8 ounce glass container of super grape soda. I would treat myself by pouring a small amount over the ice cream and use a wood spoon to slowly enjoy the contents. Oh so good for a 9 year old with change in his pocket. The paper route taught me a lot that I transferred into the world I am now in.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/13 19:11:16 (permalink)
Paul, I just acquired a six pack of unused Grapette soda bottles in an original cardboard six pack holder from the '40's. Your story was great. I'll think of you whenever I look at my Grapette bottles.
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

When I was 9 years old, I got my first job carrying papers. I had a 6 mile route which I used my bike over East Tennessee hills. I had 100 customers and made $3.00 weekly for working 7 days every week. No benefits, no vacation or anything else except $3.00. It sounds bad, but at that time, I had more money than anyone else I knew. Every day and I mean every day, I stopped at this little country grocery store and bought a "Grapette" which cost a nickle and a nickle paper box of ice cream. The "Grapette" was a 8 ounce glass container of super grape soda. I would treat myself by pouring a small amount over the ice cream and use a wood spoon to slowly enjoy the contents. Oh so good for a 9 year old with change in his pocket. The paper route taught me a lot that I transferred into the world I am now in.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/13 20:40:55 (permalink)
We can get Shasta in LA.
quote:
Originally posted by topferment

We had Squirt in eastern Kansas in the early 1970's. I'm not sure how long before that it was around because that's as far back as I can remember. I used to always get a bottle of Squirt in the barbershop when I was a kid. If I remember right the bottles were green and had a little kid(the squirt) in yellow. I sure do miss pop(yea that's what we call sodas in Kansas) in glass bottles, it just doesn't taste right in cans or plastic.
VibrationGuy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/13 23:53:07 (permalink)
Shasta and Faygo are actually part of the same company, National Beverage, which is the current king of Tacky Urban Cut-Price Soda. I remember Shasta being the dead-last company in the Northwest to move away from steel cans to aluminum, and also dead-last in getting rid of pull-tabs in favor of the current pop-top style.

Despite being a native Northwesterner, I can't type the word "pop" as a synonym for "soda" without wincing, so it's hard for me to mention "The Poppe Shoppe", a brand that had regional distribution in the Northwest until right about the time of the first LiveAid concert (it's scary how food maps things to time for me). The bottles were stubby like a beer bottle, clear, and were 18 ounces, to my memory, but may have been 16. In any event, they typically occupied former gas stations and similar buildings, and had a wide variety of flavors, similar to today's Shasta.

My personal favorite obscure soda is Green River, an intensely lime beverage the color of Scope. It's available in cans and bottles, but looks and tastes its best in glass.

Eric
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 08:14:49 (permalink)
Wink is not national even now. I have never seen in it from Delaware on up the coast.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 08:43:14 (permalink)
Was CANADA DRY a national brand? or West Coast only. Their main seller was Ginger Ale, but covered other flavor's also.
I will mess up the spelling here, but have the same question about "CLICQUOE CLUB" (no way to look up the spelling here!!)
They had the semi-dressed nymph on the rock looking at her reflection as part of the bottle label. Talk about product association !!
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 09:29:19 (permalink)
We have always had Canada Dry here on the East Coast....the trademark you are describing sure sounds like WHITE ROCK...
CheeseWit
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 10:04:49 (permalink)
Lou, you're correct about the nymph on the rocks. It was White Rock. Al, Cliquot Club was national as was Canada Dry.
CheeseWit
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 10:10:08 (permalink)
I do have one question about the Grapefruit flavored sodas such as Wink and Fresca. How many of you actually like the flavor? It is definitely an "adult" taste.
CheeseWit
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 10:11:39 (permalink)
Oh, I'm now a Hamburger. It's an honor. As I accept this award, I just want to say, "you like me, you really like me!"
mobley
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 10:30:45 (permalink)
I spent my childhood growing up in two very different locales. I was from NC and all my "kin" were from NC but my dad got transfered to NJ when I was in the 1st grade. Needless to say, I became very much aware of the regional differences at an early age.

One great area of difference was soft drinks. The South seemed to have a plethora of sweet syrupy concoctions with catchy names while up North, a variety of flavors were found under one brand name.

Some of the Eastern NC soft drinks that I remember: Tru-Ade (orange and grape), Sundrop (still a local drink), Pal-Cola, Kick-a-poo Joy Juice (sort of like Mtn. Dew), Brownie Chocolate, Cheerwine (still a local fave). Root beer was "yankee stuff" but we did have Frostie. NO ONE down here had ever heard of birch beer or black cherry soda.

Up North you had: Hoffman (many flavors), Cott, White Rock. Lots of root beer, ginger ale and things that were alien to our Southern palates. I remember when Dr. Pepper was unavaiable in Morris Co. NJ.! Orange Crush was big down South and readily available in South Jersey but nowhere in North Jersey. Same for Frostie Root Beer. It was headquartered in Camden NJ, all over the place in NC, but not to be found in North Jersey. North Jersey is kind of a unique place insn't it?
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 10:38:46 (permalink)
Cheesewit, I've always liked Wink/50-50 since I was a kid, but at the same time I've never liked birch beer, root beer or cream soda---usually just opting for water instead at summer cookouts when forced to deal with those choices.

Now I drink mostly diet cola (mostly Diet Pepsi), but my favorite non-diet soda remains 7 UP (but not that new Upside Down Sugary Junk), also Sprite is too sweet for me.

renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 11:04:55 (permalink)
I dont believe that Wink was or is national, as you do not see it from Delaware on up.
CheeseWit
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 11:06:26 (permalink)
Stan, I always liked root beer and even birch beer. Cream soda was something my parents liked. Right now, I like Diet Rite Black Cherry and their cola. I do prefer diet pepsi over diet coke. And anything's better than Tab was.
quote:
Originally posted by stanpnepa

Cheesewit, I've always liked Wink/50-50 since I was a kid, but at the same time I've never liked birch beer, root beer or cream soda---usually just opting for water instead at summer cookouts when forced to deal with those choices.

Now I drink mostly diet cola (mostly Diet Pepsi), but my favorite non-diet soda remains 7 UP (but not that new Upside Down Sugary Junk), also Sprite is too sweet for me.

renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 11:16:31 (permalink)
Sorry, did not reliazed that I posted that already. Been a long day already I guess.

To make up for it, I will add another regional soda: Hanks sodas from philly. Now have national dist. i believe but used to be quite local.

Also, while I know that this is almost the milkman's baby of colas, I used to really enjoy RC Cola. Wonder if I am the only one?
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 11:46:03 (permalink)
Hey Sally, er, I mean, CheeseWit. Put me down as someone who has always liked Fresca. I loved Squirt as a kid, but haven't seen that in awhile. I still keep Fresca around the house, though.

Lately, I've been trying out some of the "specialty" root beers and ginger ales such as Hansen's, Virgil's, Reed's, etc. Can't wait to get some of that Blenheim some of y'all have talked about.
CheeseWit
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 11:53:56 (permalink)
Hey Bushie, I like those "microbrew" root beers and ginger ales you named. I also like IBC Root Beer which I first tried in a Chili's restaurant.
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Hey Sally, er, I mean, CheeseWit. Put me down as someone who has always liked Fresca. I loved Squirt as a kid, but haven't seen that in awhile. I still keep Fresca around the house, though.

Lately, I've been trying out some of the "specialty" root beers and ginger ales such as Hansen's, Virgil's, Reed's, etc. Can't wait to get some of that Blenheim some of y'all have talked about.
vinelady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 162
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 12:36:35 (permalink)
I also like the Grapefruit sodas. However I find that squirt and fresca are so sickly sweet. I drink Ting now.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 13:50:47 (permalink)
vinelady, I found a site called sodapopstop.com where I can order some Ting. (Blenheim's also ) Do you order it online, or can you get it locally? Recommendations would be appreciated. I'd love to try some Ting.
vinelady
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 13:53:16 (permalink)
I have a local distributer of Ting, they are part of sodaking.com After 9 year of not being able to get the stuff. :)
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 14:26:21 (permalink)
Thanks, vinelady. What a fun website that is! For some reason, I've been unable to access the site through the link in an earlier post, but I got there manually.

I can order everything I was looking for, and the prices are a lot better than the other site I found. They also have some old brands like Dad's, Apple Beer, and Kickapoo Joy Juice!! Also, I can order Berghoff Root Beer! Guess I know where my next paycheck is going!

BTW, are you by any chance one of the "Soda Babes" on the website?
vinelady
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 14:30:36 (permalink)
Nope. at least not yet ;)
Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1511
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 17:26:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

I do have one question about the Grapefruit flavored sodas such as Wink and Fresca. How many of you actually like the flavor? It is definitely an "adult" taste.

I love Fresca, but I really love the much maligned Shasta grapefruit..particularly the diet..it's very refreshing.
Say, has anyone here tried the new Tropical Sprite? It's definitely an acquired taste..but many of my friends are using it for an alcohol mixer.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4636
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 17:46:27 (permalink)
Squirt is the best grapefruit soda, but I think it's national. Now it seems this thread is splitting into currently available and extinct, but some I thought were departed seem alive and well. A few I remember from a midwest childhood are 3V cola, (tasted like cough medicine), and frostie rootbeer, (very foamy).
Dodger and Nehi were the fruit flavored sodas of the Kansas City area but one I remember that may still be around, but not in Oregon where I am now, is Vess. It was a full fledged company with all flavors +cola. I don't know whether they tasted great or our memories of them were more delicious than actually true.
pigface
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 19:16:19 (permalink)
The Poor Vernor's of Today is Sorry compaired the the real stuff of Yesterday ...
The difference is the Old stuff had a Woody Taste, that's gone ...
Don't get me wrong. I still buy Vernors, when it's on sale, But
When The Vernors Plant was on Woodward Ave in downtown Detroit, (I remember the new plant near Wayne State, My parents would recall the Plant & Cellars at Woodward & The Detroit River) The Story is a Detroit Pharmacist left Ginger syrup in a barrel and left town for 4 years to serve in the war between the states. Just Like Bourbon. The Ginger Syrup gets the flavor the wood barrel. The Vernors of my memory had a lot more Oak / Wood flavor
than today. When you got to tour the Vernors plant, it looked no different than Marker's Mark's Barrel houses. And Yes, You could Buy Old Barrels, the Reaked of Ginger, and had actual sugar crystals lining the interior. Smelled Great. I'm drinking A Diet Faygo Rootbeer, as I write this ...
pigface
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 19:29:16 (permalink)
Al the Mayor Eastern Kentucky Ale 8 One
More caffeine the ten cups of coffee ...
and My favorite Gingerale ... Blenheim Ginger Ale
How Hot can you drink it ?
OK, the only place I can find it is Zingermann's Deli in Ann Arbor,
But if one every crosses you path, Jump on it .... Yumm
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 20:24:07 (permalink)
I'd love to contribute to this thread but unfortunately, soda drinking in our household was reserved only for special occasions like birthday parties or first communions, when my dad would buy a case or two of Frank's Cherry Wishniak.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/14 23:39:59 (permalink)
WE got Shasta in our local A&P in NY....in fact, I was brought up in a single parent household,and Shasta wuz all we got in those days...Coke and Pepsi were for special occasions.....
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/15 05:15:52 (permalink)
Lou,
As a result of low income levels for several years, my kids used to think Kool-Aid came from a cow !!!
CheeseWit
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/05/15 06:27:07 (permalink)
Soda was for special occasions in my house too as I was growing up. I looked forward to birthday parties and holiday dinners. Those were the times I had the chance to drink Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak or Orange Nectar which had orange pulp in it.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 19
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1