The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Regional Sodas (or Pops)

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 3 of 19, messages 61 to 90 of 564
kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/15/03 11:07 AM (permalink)
Oh, I had forgotten about Black Cherry, when I was a kid it was like drinking a fine wine! Does anyone still make it? I'm not a pop drinker so I don't ever go down that aisle.

jennycola

• Total Posts: 13
    RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/15/03 11:39 AM (permalink)
    A great regional soda is the Cherry Republic tart cherry soda in Glen Arbor, Michigan - it's great plain or mixed with Pepsi or cream soda or ginger ale or over ice cream!- not too sweet and a great color. It's called something funny like Boom-Chugga-Lugga, but the taste is fine!
    Also, I grew up on Fresca and Tab, both had that nice "chemical" kind of taste, not too sweet like now with nutrasweet - I loved cyclamates and saccharine! Diet soda now is just too sweet tasting for me. I prefer to waste my calories on an occasional soda and I'll hold out for something tasty like a regional drink over Coke anytime.

dbear

• Total Posts: 131
      RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/15/03 11:46 AM (permalink)
      Signing in from MA. We have 2 very local brands of ginger ale, both of which are excellent. Chelmsford, which is now part of Polar from Worcester, MA, but was originally from Chelmsford, MA. is a gold ginger ale that used to be hotter when I was a kid, sort of like Blenheim, but does not come in glass any more. Twin Lights, from Rockport, MA is still better than anything I've ever had, including Blenheim. It is clear, pretty hot and made from ginger, sugar and soda water, and yes, we used to call everything 'tonic' no matter what flavor. Twin Lights still comes in quart and small (10 oz?) glass bottles with the label printed on the glass. In recent years the guy who makes Twin Lights has started running out of bottles, so he buys them from other RIP companies from all over. I have a pretty good sized collection now as a result. I'll send in some more of the names tonight from home.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
        RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/15/03 11:50 AM (permalink)
        my kids are fond of mixing flavors together. When we were youngsters we called that a "sucicide". not PC now, I suppose. Your post got me to thinking about phosphates. Cherry and lime are the flavors that stick out in my memory. I don't know whether that was national, or a drink available at midwestern soda fountains. In fact I don't even know what they consisted of, except they were GOOD!

johnnym

• Total Posts: 30
          RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/15/03 12:21 PM (permalink)
          "And never forget Moxie in New England. Nowadays you can find it in the Markets in SoCal at times"

Good to see Moxie getting a mention, and good to know you can find it outside of New England. Up home in Maine it is still available at practically every corner store; by the time you get to Massachusetts or Vermont it's usually only in big supermarkets, and farther than that it vanishes.
          Now my question is, do any of these other regional sodas have a festival, complete with road race and parade, in their honor? Or is that limited to Moxie, which (as you will learn if you go to Lisbon Falls, ME on the second weekend of July) Makes Mainers Mighty?

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/15/03 12:33 PM (permalink)
            Bill V-
            Put the Raspberry-Lime Ricky up there with the Phosphates...Soda water flavored with the sweet syrup then the citrus squeezed on the top. Better than lemonade on a hot summer day.

1bbqboy

RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/15/03 12:42 PM (permalink)
              mayor,
              what's a ricky? that's a term I've never heard. I wonder what the geographical derivation of it is.

1bbqboy

RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/15/03 12:48 PM (permalink)
                mayor, I meant does this exist elsewhere under different names, and I wondered how the name ricky came about. Sorry,
                when I reread my post the thought wasn't clear

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                  RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/15/03 1:49 PM (permalink)
                  I always thought lime ricky was an alcoholic drink of the Bogart era. I seem to remember my parents serving them in the 50's. I remember lime phosphates and Green River but you had to go to the drug store soda fountain for those.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/15/03 2:13 PM (permalink)
                    The Raspberry Lime Ricky may have been an Alcoholic beverage too....but those I recall came from a soda fountain...First I had was in Haverhill, Mass. back in the 60's, also at an Ice Cream Stand (Kinson's I think)in Georgetown, Mass--same era. I have seen them at a couple of 'old-style' soda fountains in the Midwest since then. Never did see them at any of the Up-scale Ice Cream/Soda Fountains in SoCal.
                    It was a cup of soda water with a big shot of Raspberry syrup/favoring stirred or fizzed like an ice cream soda...then the lime chunk(s) were squeezed and dropped into the drink.
                    I have no clue as to the origin of the 'Ricky' term. Bushie is our researcher,let's get him to uncover the mystery!!
                    I think one of the reason's I am so attached to the SONIC Lemon-Berry Slush is that it reminds me of the Ricky. If you get a 'Giant' one Hiway 66 or whatever it is called, you get a 44 oz sweet strawberry slush with lots of berry chunks in it, and about 5 lemon slices dropped in also. Pretty good stuff on a hot day, and the Nostalgia Twang is nice too.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                      RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/15/03 2:43 PM (permalink)
                      Here ya go, Al!

Rickey

Rickey is a long-drink type, collins kind drink. The origin of rickey is unclear, only thing that is quite sure is that it's originated in USA. Jack Townsend, the chairman of the New York Bartender's Guild, tells in his book 'The Bartender's Book':

"The origin of Gin Rickey is quite clear though. We don't only know the town where it was created, Washington, but also the restaurant, Shoemaker's.

Towards the end of last century there was working a bartender who, one hot summer day, squeezed lemon juice in gin and topped it with soda water.

The first customer who ordered his new cocktail was colonel 'Jim Rickey', a lobbyist in Congress whose real first name was Joe and whose military rank had nothing to do with the Army. In those days Shoemaker's was known as the 'Third Room of the Congress' and the members who knew 'colonel' christened the drink by his name."

Source: sasky.com

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                        RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/15/03 6:04 PM (permalink)
                        Dearfolk,
                        Nobody's mentioned that Chattanooga favorite, Double Cola! There used to be a Double Cola bottlery in Rome, Georgia... my friend Kurt and I would drive by it on the way to the Salvation Army store. It's closed now; they only bottle it in Chattanooga... and overseas, in places like Kuwait!
                        Athens, Georgia used to have Budwine, which I remember originally as a cherry drink with a hit on ginger and a wee bit of peppermint. The "hobble skirt" bottle that Coca-Cola uses was a Budwine original. A high school English teacher I knew (she retired before I was in her class) was the younger sister of Henry Claude Anderson, the inventor of Budwine (it's name was originally "Bludwine" - a tonic for the blood).
                        I can remember Mr.Cola coming from a plant in Watkinsville, Georgia; Grapico (gracious, those memories get foggy!); and Bireley's Orange, which was by far my favorite orange soda... made with real juice.
                        Squirt was headquartered in Cincinnati, if I remember right. It's pretty common up thataway, just like you begin to see Ale 81 in profusion in Eastern Kentucky up towards Ohio.
                        Long-vanished is Jurk ("Be purk; drink Jurk!") from the Paducah, Kentucky area. My old friend Rob Gibson bought it there by the case and brought it back, then returned the bottles next trip. Who knows, maybe it's still made in some obscure where like Cape Girardeau, Missouri or Mount Vernon, Illinois!
                        Blenheim Ginger Ale was so strong because it was made with the extraordinarily sulfurous water of the Blenheim Mineral Spring. The factory in the teeny town of Blenheim could only produce so much, so the company was bought by the South Of The Border folks and moved there, although they continue to drive a tanker truck to Blenheim to pick up water.
                        Isn't Pop Culture fun?
                        Fizzily, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

kdiammond

• Total Posts: 133
                          RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/15/03 10:26 PM (permalink)
                          Anyone remember Tiger Ale -- was a very "hot" or gingery ale. Mostly I remember getting cases of Jolt at the law school bookstore. It flew out of there pretty fast near midterms and finals. I always thought is was more effective than No-Doz.

topferment

• Total Posts: 79
                            RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Thu, 05/15/03 11:32 PM (permalink)
                            Is anyone able to find Mason root beer in their local stores? It used to be available at IGA stores in eastern Kansas but my hometown IGA went out of business in the late 70's and I haven't seen the Mason brand since then. I did find it at sodapopstop.com but I was wondering where it is still available in stores. Thanks.

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
                              RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 05/16/03 12:21 AM (permalink)
                              quote:

I love Fresca, but I really love the much maligned Shasta grapefruit..particularly the diet..it's very refreshing.
                              Say, has anyone here tried the new Tropical Sprite? It's definitely an acquired taste..but many of my friends are using it for an alcohol mixer.

Tropical Sprite ... tastes like carbonated Jello
                              I had one, well a third of one, Split that third with my Wife
                              She didn't run out and buy any more

roy51

• Total Posts: 35
                                RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 05/16/03 3:34 PM (permalink)
                                When I was a kid in Dallas, there was a drink called Mr. Cola. It was the first one that I remember coming in a 16 oz. bottle. The name was written in Old English lettering. Anyone else familiar with that one?

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                                  RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 05/16/03 4:25 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by pigface

quote:

I love Fresca, but I really love the much maligned Shasta grapefruit..particularly the diet..it's very refreshing.
                                  Say, has anyone here tried the new Tropical Sprite? It's definitely an acquired taste..but many of my friends are using it for an alcohol mixer.

Tropical Sprite ... tastes like carbonated Jello
                                  I had one, well a third of one, Split that third with my Wife
                                  She didn't run out and buy any more

It reminded me of that flavored water you get at WalMart.."sam's choice".. too many bubbles! but carbonated jello is a really close analogy!

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
                                    RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 05/16/03 4:36 PM (permalink)
                                    Carbonated Jello was actually my Mother's term,
                                    That 50 cent third of a bottle went along way ...

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 05/16/03 4:58 PM (permalink)
                                      Turn on the 1970's or 80's memory files and see who recall's the AD campaign for Dr. Pepper that pushed using it as a HOT beverage...Steaming Mug with a Lemon Slice floating on top, Winter scene, kids playing in the snow, Mom(?) watching out the frosted window as she sipped the hot beverage???? It had to be that era, as we moved to Louisville (the first time) in 1978, and I recall the AD's being run on TV here. Never tried it Hot.

Bushie

RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 05/16/03 6:26 PM (permalink)
                                        Mr. Mayor, I remember hot Dr. Pepper campaigns. I never tried it either. Must not have been too good, or it probably would have caught on.

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                                          RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 05/16/03 8:41 PM (permalink)
                                          Speaking of Dr Pepper,its about time for my annual order for a case of REAL made-with-cane sugar Dr Pepper from the oldest Dr Pepper bottler in the world in Dublin Texas....Absolutely worth every penny-it actually works out with the shpping to be about a buck a bottle..which is what you would pay for a bottle of regular Dr Pepper in a c-store or something..and it tastes 1000% better. Yes, I am nuts...but the difference between the regular corn syrup DP and this is startling to say the least! I USED to be able to go to a beverage barn that was close to Pennsyvania,and get the old fashioned 16 & 7 oz glass Coke bottles from a bottler in PA that also still used sugar instead of corn syrup crap...[they had Poopsi too BTW...]what difference there also!

Bushie

RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 05/16/03 9:56 PM (permalink)
                                            CILou; now there's a man who knows what he's talkin' 'bout! I drive up to Hico (near Dublin) a few times a year to pick up cases of "real" Dr. Pepper. Using cane sugar DOES make a difference.

muzzlehatch

• Total Posts: 73
                                              RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 05/16/03 11:30 PM (permalink)
                                              I just had one of them there "cane sugar" Dr. Peppers, in a cool retro-bottle, courtesy of a cousin who lives in Dallas. I can attest to the difference in taste; don't know if it's "better" as I rarely drink commercial sodas these days.

Here in VT I don't think we have a whole lot of regional stuff available; one I didn't see mentioned in a quick scan of the posts whas STUARTS which I think is from the West Coast; most of their stuff is pretty good. Of the newer "micro" brands, I love Reeds various Ginger Ales (esp the Apple) and the Journey sodas, all-natural stuff, the vanilla and cream sodas are great.

There was a brand of "red cream soda" available in IN and OH when I was growing up, late 70s, don't know if it was Fanta or Shasta or what. Anyone remember it?

Jennifer_4

RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sat, 05/17/03 4:57 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Turn on the 1970's or 80's memory files and see who recall's the AD campaign for Dr. Pepper that pushed using it as a HOT beverage...Steaming Mug with a Lemon Slice floating on top, Winter scene, kids playing in the snow, Mom(?) watching out the frosted window as she sipped the hot beverage???? It had to be that era, as we moved to Louisville (the first time) in 1978, and I recall the AD's being run on TV here. Never tried it Hot.

Mr Mayor, my sainted grandmother used to fix me this treat at my request back in the mid 60's.. it really was tasty... you should try it!

Jennifer_4

RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sat, 05/17/03 8:04 PM (permalink)
                                                  Hope this hasn't been mentioned yet, but I just tried Thomas Kemper Root Beer and Classic Grape sodas..don't know if they're regional or national but they sure are good! The root beer is nice and dry and the grape just explodes with fruity flavor, instead of the chemical taste you usually get with most national brands.

CoreyEl

• Total Posts: 156
                                                    • Location: Russellville, AR
                                                    RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Wed, 05/21/03 9:53 AM (permalink)
                                                    The Sprecher Brewery in Milwaukee makes an incredible root beer, and my personal fave: "Ravin' Red Soda". It's made with cranberries, cherries, honey and ginseng. Sprecher sodas are only available in Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota and Ohio, but well worth a try if you can find them. They also make an Orange Dream Soda, a Cream Soda and a very old-fashioned tasting Ginger Ale--very spicy and gingery.

Sundancer7

RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Wed, 05/21/03 9:59 AM (permalink)
                                                      Nehi use to make a great orange and grape drink. We use to make grape floats with them back in the 50's. I guess they are not around anymore. I have not seen them in many years.

Paul E. Smith
                                                      Knoxville, TN

Sundancer7

RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Wed, 05/21/03 10:37 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by CheeseWit

Paul, I just acquired a six pack of unused Grapette soda bottles in an original cardboard six pack holder from the '40's. Your story was great. I'll think of you whenever I look at my Grapette bottles.

quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Sundancer7

When I was 9 years old, I got my first job carrying papers. I had a 6 mile route which I used my bike over East Tennessee hills. I had 100 customers and made $3.00 weekly for working 7 days every week. No benefits, no vacation or anything else except $3.00. It sounds bad, but at that time, I had more money than anyone else I knew. Every day and I mean every day, I stopped at this little country grocery store and bought a "Grapette" which cost a nickle and a nickle paper box of ice cream. The "Grapette" was a 8 ounce glass container of super grape soda. I would treat myself by pouring a small amount over the ice cream and use a wood spoon to slowly enjoy the contents. Oh so good for a 9 year old with change in his pocket. The paper route taught me a lot that I transferred into the world I am now in.

Paul E. Smith
                                                        Knoxville, TN

cheesewit, you need to check out WWW.Grapette.com

Paul E. Smith
                                                        Knoxville, TN

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                                                          • Location: Wilmington, NC
                                                          RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Wed, 05/21/03 11:13 AM (permalink)
                                                          Here in B'more we used to have Frostie Root Beer. It was developed & made in my neigborhood (Catonsville) I remember as a kid going to a local soda fountain & getting a frosty mug of this root beer. It was eventually sold to canada dry & is still available in some areas but it just ain't the same

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Wed, 05/21/03 11:21 AM (permalink)
                                                            Dreamer,
                                                            Yeah I don't know if the product has changed...or if the years have altered our perception of what it really was. I have fond memories of taking a gallon jug (empty)back to a local A&W stand where they would refill it directly from the tap at the counter. That was great ice cold root beer. Today I can't stand A&W as it seems sooooo sweet to me. Is it Me..or the Product???
                                                            The memories sure are fun though.
                                                            AL

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 3 of 19, messages 61 to 90 of 564

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com