Regional Sodas (or Pops)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 19
Author
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 303
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/15 20:17:32 (permalink)
I remember the jingle, "Wink..the sassy one from Canada Dry."

Hammer Soda was delivered in trucks to your door or you could buy the quart bottle at the grocer. They had good Cream and Black Cherry. I remember Cott's and Whiterock too.

In South Florida, I drank Golden Age brand soda.

I bought some Faygo last week at an overstock discount store. They had four flavors at 99 cents a six pack.

I saw Frank's for sale at a Kosher section of a supermarket during Passover because Frank's makes its sodas kosher for Passover. I spent my college days in Philadelphia.

I am a New Yorker in Austin, Texas.
peppertree
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/15 20:33:53 (permalink)
Wink was available in Philadelphia. I even remember a hanging sign in front of a deli (with the light inside and illegal in most states for beer) that with green letters said WINK and underneath, "the sassy one."
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/16 17:54:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

Here in B'more we used to have Frostie Root Beer. It was developed & made in my neigborhood (Catonsville) I remember as a kid going to a local soda fountain & getting a frosty mug of this root beer. It was eventually sold to canada dry & is still available in some areas but it just ain't the same

Just ran across Frostie Cherry LimeAde in north-central Louisiana. Label says "Frostie" is a trademark of Leading Edge Brands out of Temple, TX. It's pretty bad, which is fine: just what you'd expect from bottled cherry limeade. I liked it; I may even have a second bottle someday.
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/16 20:54:27 (permalink)
When they were here locally they only did root beer sometimes diversity ain't all that good a thing.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/16 21:19:55 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
If Oneiron is correct about Budwine, that's news to me! Budwine originated here in lovely Athens, Georgia. Two bottlers had rights to make it in recent years - one in Augusta, Georgia and the other in Thomasville, Georgia. The Augusta bottler closed some time ago.
Wow. If it's sold in S. C., that's wonderful... I sure would like one right now! It has been vanished from here for several years.
Does anyone else remember Canada Dry's short-lived Cactus Cooler? The Canada Dry plant is still operating on Murphy Avenue in S/W Atlanta (about 12 blocks south of and across the tracks from) Pilgreen's. Next time I'm in the area, I'll go by and ask where I can get some (chuckle, chuckle).
Fizzily, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
P. S. A-Treat is still made in Allentown, as of recently.
P. P. S. A hundred posts and counting. Put another deck on that burger, folks! Add some spiced Gouda if ya got some.
jeffskal
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/16 22:23:36 (permalink)
Cactus Cooler is sold here in the LA area in cans and 2 liter bottles.
Always displayed next to the Canada Dry, so I'm sure it's still related.

Unfortunately my company will frown on my sending some to Athens via
interoffice mail (we have an office there). :)

Y'all 'll have to come out and have some!
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/17 01:45:40 (permalink)
Cactus Cooler is available in eastern New Mexico and west Texas -- I just had one when I was home a few weeks ago, and as I always do, I thought "Why did I get this? I don't actually like it very much!"
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/17 07:54:34 (permalink)
Jeff,
C C is made by Canada Dry, that the reason for it's location on the display. It makes a good punch mix and substitutes well in some drink receipes, but straight from the bottle....no thanks.
cheryldale
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/17 18:39:08 (permalink)
I can remember going to my grandparents house (either set, in Mt. Herman, Louisiana or Oak Park, Georgia) and they had an old corner store that they would bring us to when we visited. The floors were wooden and the first thing I remember seeing was an old time cooler with bottled drinks. My favorite was always Vanilla Creme Soda. I made the decision long ago, that when I retire someday and have my own "country pie cafe", that I will refuse to serve fountain drinks, we will only have bottled drinks and EVERY kind you can imagine. I will search all over the country for drinks like you have all shared as your favorites. When people come to my cafe, they will be able to enjoy a "taste" of the good old days!
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/17 22:46:51 (permalink)
Tropical Fantasy is a popular drink in NYC. Kids are really into it. Carribean fruit flavors. Really sweet. Indistinguishable tastes.
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/17 23:11:05 (permalink)
I will be a loyal customer of yours. Please let me know when you open your country pie cafe. I can't wait to drink those great bottled sodas and taste your pies!
quote:
Originally posted by cheryldale

I can remember going to my grandparents house (either set, in Mt. Herman, Louisiana or Oak Park, Georgia) and they had an old corner store that they would bring us to when we visited. The floors were wooden and the first thing I remember seeing was an old time cooler with bottled drinks. My favorite was always Vanilla Creme Soda. I made the decision long ago, that when I retire someday and have my own "country pie cafe", that I will refuse to serve fountain drinks, we will only have bottled drinks and EVERY kind you can imagine. I will search all over the country for drinks like you have all shared as your favorites. When people come to my cafe, they will be able to enjoy a "taste" of the good old days!
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/18 11:20:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
If Oneiron is correct about Budwine, that's news to me! Budwine originated here in lovely Athens, Georgia. Two bottlers had rights to make it in recent years - one in Augusta, Georgia and the other in Thomasville, Georgia. The Augusta bottler closed some time ago.
Wow. If it's sold in S. C., that's wonderful... I sure would like one right now! It has been vanished from here for several years.
Does anyone else remember Canada Dry's short-lived Cactus Cooler? The Canada Dry plant is still operating on Murphy Avenue in S/W Atlanta (about 12 blocks south of and across the tracks from) Pilgreen's. Next time I'm in the area, I'll go by and ask where I can get some (chuckle, chuckle).
Fizzily, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
P. S. A-Treat is still made in Allentown, as of recently.
P. P. S. A hundred posts and counting. Put another deck on that burger, folks! Add some spiced Gouda if ya got some.
Ort, you're probably right about Budwine. I got my info from the AJC a few years ago when they did the story (you know how those liberal rags are). I had somebody send me some from McCormick, SC about a year ago. Couldn't determine it's vintage. But I still like Cheerwine better. I get the glass bottles rather than the cans or plastic - it tastes better, especially when ice cold.
Willly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/18 12:19:13 (permalink)
Who remembers Aspen Soda. It was apple flavored and was available in SoCal in the Mid 70's. An added feature was that it was great (as a 10 year old) to say to people drinking it, "How's your Aspen?"
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/26 09:03:28 (permalink)
Interesting article I found yesterday about Dublin (TX) Dr. Pepper:

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0603/dr_pepper.asp
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/26 09:10:47 (permalink)
Bushie, Great article! Hey, can you get a full bottle or two from them for my collection?
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Interesting article I found yesterday about Dublin (TX) Dr. Pepper:

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0603/dr_pepper.asp

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/26 09:29:51 (permalink)
Bushie and Cheesewit:

I was in Whacko a couple of years ago and they have a Dr. Pepper museum there. I did not get a chance to visit, but it was pretty and restored. It was rumoured that nearby resident, George Dubya was a fan of Dr. Pepper.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/26 09:47:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

Bushie, Great article! Hey, can you get a full bottle or two from them for my collection?

I've actually had that in mind, CheeseWit. They're hard to come by, though; I've been told that they won't sell the bottles anymore unless you trade in an empty. I always just buy the cans in Hico. I'm going up there in the next few weeks, however, and I'll spend some more time on it.

Sundancer, the DP museum is fun. Worth a stop if you're in the area again.
Paulie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/26 10:19:03 (permalink)
Michael:

The Squirt advertisement photo a page or so back (as a new poster, I haven't figured out how to use the links yet) looks identical to one I saw fairly recently in Wabasha, Minn. Is this the same building? And, to go off topic a bit, if you were out that way, why no writeup on the Anderson House?
Willly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/26 10:21:39 (permalink)
For my year off from college (don't ask why!) in 1985-1986, I worked for the Coca Cola Bottling Company of L.A. I was in the Space Management Department, where we were responsible for the shelf space allocation for ALL sodas at various supermarkets chains in L.A, south to just north of San Diego, north To Santa Barbara, and east to Las Vegas. We controlled the shelves for Ralphs, Albertsons, and a bunch of others. It was an interesting time, because I was there for New Coke. However, we bottled Dr. Pepper, and in the company's reception area, at the coffee machine was always a pot of Hot Dr. Pepper.
drpep
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/26 11:28:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Nehi use to make a great orange and grape drink. We use to make grape floats with them back in the 50's. I guess they are not around anymore. I have not seen them in many years.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I found 12oz glass bottles of Orange and Grape Nehi in My Airy, NC(inspiration for Mayberry). Also found Nehi in glass bottles at an Exxon of I-95 in Lumberton, NC. The Piggly Wiggly in Roanoke Rapids, NC has Nehi in 2 liter botles.
drpep
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/26 11:29:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Nehi use to make a great orange and grape drink. We use to make grape floats with them back in the 50's. I guess they are not around anymore. I have not seen them in many years.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I found 12oz glass bottles of Orange and Grape Nehi in My Airy, NC(inspiration for Mayberry). Also found Nehi in glass bottles at an Exxon of I-95 in Lumberton, NC. The Piggly Wiggly in Roanoke Rapids, NC has Nehi in 2 liter botles.
drpep
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/26 11:46:26 (permalink)
Another regional soda is Big Bens from Catawissa Beverages (or Bottling) in central PA. They bottle their sodas in old bottles from defunct bottlers such as A-Treat, Town Club and Lolli Pop.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/26 13:13:01 (permalink)
Big Red was disgusting! I remember Ski and Double Cola...Grapico in Alabama and Adirondiack soda from New York. Adirondiak pop can be found, for some unexplicable reason, in every Mennonite food store I've ever been in.
damnh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/26 15:55:26 (permalink)
Just returned from a Reno, NV trip, and in a small store in the tourist trap town of Virginia City,NV was a soda pop store with specialty brands. I feasted on a Strawberry Crush, a Berghoff's Root Beer, a Kickapoo Joy Joice and a Fargo Black raspberry soda.
DaveM
RockyB
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/28 15:16:38 (permalink)
In Northeast Pennsylvania & the Southern Tier of NY, there used to be a brand call "Ma's" The lead flavor was root beer, but they also had colas and other flavors too. I remember them being in the old-style coolers that chilled the bottles in cold water. Somebody a page or 2 back mentioned Bubble-Up. Around 1978 Merle Haggard cut a record called "Rainbow Stew" and there was a line in a song about how "We'd all be drinking our free Bubble-Up and eating Ranbow Stew". Does anyone remember that?
RockyB
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/28 15:23:07 (permalink)
Now here's a question..What do Canada Dry & the mob have in common?
The famous mafia meeting in Apalachin, New York in the 1950's was held at the home of Joseph Barbara, who happened to run the Canada Dry bottling franchise in the Binghamton, NY area, and the entire staff was rumored to be mob connected in one fashion or another.
peppertree
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/28 15:40:14 (permalink)
To cheryldale,

When you have your store, I suggest that you keep a 12 month supply of (Kosher for Passover) Coca-Cola. That is Coke with cane sugar. I would not blame you if you charged a premium for the real sugar coke, but it would be worth it to be able to get it all year even at a premium price.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/28 18:04:43 (permalink)
Willy,
Thanks, You are one of the few here who have acknowledged the use of Dr Pepper as a hot beverage!!
Rt 11,
While I don't particularly run out to get Big Red very often, I see it in all the Soda Machines and watch the natives of this area consume gallons of it daily. A gazillion rednecks can't be wrong !!
AL
drpep
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/28 19:05:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RockyB

In Northeast Pennsylvania & the Southern Tier of NY, there used to be a brand call "Ma's" The lead flavor was root beer, but they also had colas and other flavors too. I remember them being in the old-style coolers that chilled the bottles in cold water. Somebody a page or 2 back mentioned Bubble-Up. Around 1978 Merle Haggard cut a record called "Rainbow Stew" and there was a line in a song about how "We'd all be drinking our free Bubble-Up and eating Ranbow Stew". Does anyone remember that?

Six pack cans of Ma's are in dollar stores in NY's Southern Tier and the Sayre/Athens, Pa area. I have also until recently seen cans of Ma's along PA's Route 6 in a small chain called Red Hen.
eelranch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/29 11:10:57 (permalink)
This brought back the memory of Cott's Tom Collins mixer - great on its own!
The Cliquot Club trademark was an eskimo boy. (My mother had a crush on him when she was about 8).

I was surprised to find Fanta (4 flavors yet!) here in Brazil. If you get the chance, hunt up Antarctica Guaraná (it's made under licence in Brooklyn the last I checked). It outsells both Coke and Pepsi in Brazil.

Ort neglected to mention what he yelled out in the soda aisle in Naugatuck, CT "Holy doorknob teeth! Diet Moxie!"
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 19
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1