Regional Sodas (or Pops)

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 19
Author
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/29 12:19:04 (permalink)
in NJ,in the 60's,in addition to Hoffmans,Squirt(contrary to one readers memory),Nehi,Franks and Boller(only in qts), when we moved to maine 'MOXIE' was king as it helped out a massive hangover better than just about anything
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/29 13:26:16 (permalink)
You can buy Antarctica Guaraná in any supermarket in my neighborhood in Boston. We've got an enormous Brazilian population. I LOVE this stuff. It tastes like a mixture of Coke and ginger ale, with just a hint of bubblegum.
Cubs Fan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/30 12:34:48 (permalink)

Foreign soft drinks and identifying their flavor.

Inca Cola from South American and Irn-Bru (Iron Brew) from Scotland. Tasted both and can't identify the flavor. Any suggestions?

Big Muzzy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/30 13:04:15 (permalink)
Guys, please remember all us Southerners down here who look at you funny when you ask for a 'soda' or a 'pop' (I'll give you a POP!!!)!Here in the South ALL soft drinks are referred to as: Cokes...
AS in: "What kind of Coke you want Jr?" To which Jr. replies: "Well, I guess I'll have an RC"...
While I'm on the subject of Southern drinks...does anyone remember:
Dixie Cola????????????
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 305
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/30 16:17:44 (permalink)
In Brooklyn we say soder as in, "Give me a pizzer and a soder."
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/30 16:43:19 (permalink)
No one has brought up Vernor's Ginger Ale. Outstanding ginger ale that I believe is limited to the northern MidWest. Very good, very gingery.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/06/30 17:58:42 (permalink)
Hawkeye,
Vernor's is on several posts here...but to summarize...It was/is a Michigan centered Ginger Ale, that can be found Nation-wide--or at least everywhere south and west of Michigan. I agree it taste's great !! But at $2.50 or so a six-pack it is a little high for a big-time soda consumer. The 2 Liter's are at normal prices, but it goes flat quickly after opening !!!
N. O. Ben
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/01 06:43:39 (permalink)
Many of the regional cokes (all pops and sodas are called cokes here in Deep East Texas. If you want the Real Thing; it is called Cocolla) are available online from http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/index.htm
Lots of old time candy and treats are also available from them.
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/01 09:09:32 (permalink)
Al, and Hawkeye. You really need to try Red Rock Ginger Ale if you're looking for the best. It's available at Krogers in the South, but it comes from Indianapolis. Sharpest flavor and fizzy and comes in 12 oz. glass. Better than Vernor's which is good but only comes in cans or plastic. Soda, like beer, seems to taste better in bottles, unless you get draft beer, but that is another topic.
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/01 09:26:28 (permalink)
Anyone remember Squeeze soda out of North Adams, MA?
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/01 09:39:52 (permalink)
Al, thanks for bringing up the fact that Vernor's is on several posts. It's also in the original post. I suggest to anyone posting a reply to read the original post of that thread at least. And Al, I agree with you regarding the price of Vernor's and how quickly it goes flat in the 2 liter size.
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Hawkeye,
Vernor's is on several posts here...but to summarize...It was/is a Michigan centered Ginger Ale, that can be found Nation-wide--or at least everywhere south and west of Michigan. I agree it taste's great !! But at $2.50 or so a six-pack it is a little high for a big-time soda consumer. The 2 Liter's are at normal prices, but it goes flat quickly after opening !!!
RockyB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/03 19:18:26 (permalink)
I was wondering if anyone remembers a soda called "Pomac"? It was marketed around the late 60's as the "Soft Drink from the Continent".
Does anyone remember this stuff, and does anyone know who made it?
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/08 12:39:30 (permalink)
I noticed several posts referring to cane sugar soft drinks. Abita Root Beer is made with Domino Cane Sugar. Grown in LA and processed in New Orleans and brewed in a little town north of New Orleans. It is a fine beverage somewhere between the creaminess of Frosty and the astringent bite of Barq's. ( I know this because I was involved in coming up with the recipe and made it for years. Why I don't anymore is a really long story I am tired of telling. All I can legally say is just make sure you own all of what you help start). All that aside, it really is a great drink and I totally agree with everyone who opined that sugar makes the difference. It is 1/4 of what is in a twelve ounce bottle. If you want to see how much sugar that really is, take an empty bottle and dump four heaping tablespoons of sugar in it. You will see what I am talking about.
St. Louis Browns fan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/08 12:56:22 (permalink)
Black Bear soda is made and sold in the Milwaukee area. They are a small operation that makes an excellent product. Buy a Black Bear and support local, family-owned bottlers
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/08 14:01:17 (permalink)
ANyone remember "Juicy Orange"? It was a non-carbonated orange drink in bottles. I've never been able to find anything close. But the Varsity in Atlanta and Athens, GA has a varsity orange drink that is fabulous and tastes like Juicy Orange.
mek
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/08 15:01:57 (permalink)
I miss Frostie root beer.
St. Louis Browns fan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/08 16:07:29 (permalink)
Try Black Bear soda if you're in Milwaukee. It's locally made and better than Coke or Pepsi.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/08 16:11:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

I do have one question about the Grapefruit flavored sodas such as Wink and Fresca. How many of you actually like the flavor? It is definitely an "adult" taste.

I don't like their taste as stand alone drinks, but they sure do complement gin.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/08 16:38:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oneiron339

quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
If Oneiron is correct about Budwine, that's news to me! Budwine originated here in lovely Athens, Georgia. Two bottlers had rights to make it in recent years - one in Augusta, Georgia and the other in Thomasville, Georgia. The Augusta bottler closed some time ago.
Wow. If it's sold in S. C., that's wonderful... I sure would like one right now! It has been vanished from here for several years.
Does anyone else remember Canada Dry's short-lived Cactus Cooler? The Canada Dry plant is still operating on Murphy Avenue in S/W Atlanta (about 12 blocks south of and across the tracks from) Pilgreen's. Next time I'm in the area, I'll go by and ask where I can get some (chuckle, chuckle).
Fizzily, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
P. S. A-Treat is still made in Allentown, as of recently.
P. P. S. A hundred posts and counting. Put another deck on that burger, folks! Add some spiced Gouda if ya got some.
Ort, you're probably right about Budwine. I got my info from the AJC a few years ago when they did the story (you know how those liberal rags are). I had somebody send me some from McCormick, SC about a year ago. Couldn't determine it's vintage. But I still like Cheerwine better. I get the glass bottles rather than the cans or plastic - it tastes better, especially when ice cold.

And I still stock up with Cheerwine on my annual visits back to North Carolina. That's great stuff!
Seeker
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/08 19:16:10 (permalink)
My Dad remembers drinking Squirt and really enjoying it as a young man in the 1940's. I bought him some of the regular Squirt recently, and he liked it but said it wasn't the same. Since he's diabetic now, I'd like to buy him some Diet Squirt. I live in North Carolina and naturally, no one in the state sells it!

Can anyone tell me the town or area nearest North Carolina that sells Diet Squirt? Even if it's a couple of states away?

Thanks.
Hastyman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/08 21:50:11 (permalink)
Browns Fan--

I second the Black Bear. I'm especially fond of the lime soda, but they're all good.
JoeyH
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/11 18:31:37 (permalink)
How about Vess soda? It's still a big brand in the St. Louis area, but I think other areas used to have it, too.

Another St. Louis regional is Fitz's Root Beer.

I have some friends who pick up Ski soda whenever they go to Evansville, Indiana. It's apparently a Double Cola product.

Seeker, I've purchased Diet Squirt here in Southern Illinois.
jgleduc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/11 19:21:11 (permalink)
First, I have to agree with Hillbilly about the combination of gin and Fresca. Tart and sweet, oh yes. Like a little sunburst in your stomach.

I guess Moxie already has been gone over, but I must say I am always surprised to see that one still on supermarket shelves. Not that I'm complaining - I like that it's there, even if I don't want to drink it. I remember reading once that they had an ad campaign built around the theme "Learn to drink Moxie." It's good to know they realized it was an acquired taste. Though I was sad to hear (assuming it's true) that it is no longer made in New England but in Georgia. Not that there's anything wrong with Georgia - he hastened to add - but it's better when local things stay local. I've never been able to adjust to seeing Narragansett beer that was made in Texas. Then again, I could never adjust to drinking Narragansett beer.

For local sodas here, I always think of Yacht Club Soda, still made but little seen (in my experience) except in some restaurants. I love another local soda company, Joe Wold. Superb Cream Soda and Root Beer, both diet and non, and their own cola, Kay-Koola. They have a website at http://www.kay-koola.com. Always a treat.

JL
Linda Gebhardt
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/11 19:37:22 (permalink)
In my neck of the woods we had Frosty Root Beer. That stoff made the best root bear floats.
Peznt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/15 16:08:51 (permalink)
Growing up in Western Mass the local soda for us was Cray's in Holyoke Mass.
Every Saturday we used to take the cases of empty's back and get restocked. If you went with Dad, you got to pick out the soda's to bring back home.
Crays was also near Nicks Nest so occasionally we would stop in for a snack before heading back home with our cases of soda.

Peznt
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/15 16:52:46 (permalink)
Here in the south(in my area) the only "oldie but goodies" we have seem to be Fanta, in pineapple and grape only. I really miss the Nehi strawberry and peach. Remember Mom drinking Upper 10, in fact she still calls 7-UP or sprite by that name! Right along with Walmart and Kmarts being "dime" stores. Fresca seemed to disappear for awhile but now has returned. Oh, and what about TAB!?!?? That was pretty bad IMO.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/15 17:10:57 (permalink)
Anyone dieters remember "TAB", that was one that hard to stomach!
foodguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/15 17:33:54 (permalink)
We have one called "Pepsi" up here. DOnt know if they sell that where you guys are.

[|)][|)][|)][|)]
drpep
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/16 11:09:40 (permalink)
Tab is still around.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1193
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/16 11:23:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

quote:
Originally posted by oneiron339

quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
If Oneiron is correct about Budwine, that's news to me! Budwine originated here in lovely Athens, Georgia. Two bottlers had rights to make it in recent years - one in Augusta, Georgia and the other in Thomasville, Georgia. The Augusta bottler closed some time ago.
Wow. If it's sold in S. C., that's wonderful... I sure would like one right now! It has been vanished from here for several years.
Does anyone else remember Canada Dry's short-lived Cactus Cooler? The Canada Dry plant is still operating on Murphy Avenue in S/W Atlanta (about 12 blocks south of and across the tracks from) Pilgreen's. Next time I'm in the area, I'll go by and ask where I can get some (chuckle, chuckle).
Fizzily, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
P. S. A-Treat is still made in Allentown, as of recently.
P. P. S. A hundred posts and counting. Put another deck on that burger, folks! Add some spiced Gouda if ya got some.
Ort, you're probably right about Budwine. I got my info from the AJC a few years ago when they did the story (you know how those liberal rags are). I had somebody send me some from McCormick, SC about a year ago. Couldn't determine it's vintage. But I still like Cheerwine better. I get the glass bottles rather than the cans or plastic - it tastes better, especially when ice cold.

And I still stock up with Cheerwine on my annual visits back to North Carolina. That's great stuff!

My almost-10-year-old LOVES Cheerwine; soft drinks are a treat for him, since we discourage the kind of consumption we see up the street. But it's the one grocery item he asks for by name when I'm marketing in NC. I even order it online once a year to keep him going between annual trips to NC.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 19
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1