Regional Sodas (or Pops)

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 19
Author
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 749
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/20 22:59:59 (permalink)
[!

Where I live in upstate NY most supermarkets have Crush in cans and 2 liter bottles. Most of the Walmarts I stopped at between NY and Florida in June have Orange, Grape, and Strawberry Crush in 6 pack 12oz bottles.
Polar Beverages of Worcester, Ma bottles and distributes Crush products over a large part of the Northeast.

Do they carry Hires also?
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/21 08:00:21 (permalink)
Great forum----just yesterday I found a 4pack of Frostie Peach soda---tastes great--interesting label---looks painted but is actually printed on clear pastic and glued to the bottle-looks good and "oldtimey'---also noticed the front labeling says--"natural and articial flavors"---back says "contains 0% juice"---makes you wonder what part of the peach they use in this "natural flavor"

Also--if any yoou bottle colllectors have got a Cliguot Club Ginger Ale--either kind--that your willing to part with let know---Grew up in the Little town of Millis Ma---named after Lansing Millis who founded Cliguot Club and was the grand father of Elaine Millis who i had an enormous crush on in the 7th grade but that another story---As a teen i unloaded frieghtcars of bottle for Clicquot and as an 8 yr old we loved Clicquot--they actually supplied most of the towns kids with free soda --dont know if they knew it or not but we would all go out by the railroad tracks behind the factory where they stacked wooden cases of returned bottles before they were sterilized for reuse--it was about 200 yards straight down the tracks to a liquer store where a full case of quarts was worth $1---and in 1957 that meant that three kids with two good arms and quick legs could snatch and run and in one trip supply the entire neighborhood with sodas,candy and comic books! Like I said--we LOVED Clicguot Club!
Texicana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/21 09:37:57 (permalink)
Cheerwine, is it really good? I began obsessing with it last year. I even drove into Charleston, WV from Eastern KY to hunt some down, since I found out through the company website that they distributed some in that city. I can't remember how many stores big and small I hit, with no luck. Guess I'll mail order.

I remember growing up with real cane sugar cokes we got from Mexico, as well as Fanta in it's myriad of flavors.
drpep
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/21 10:39:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

[!

Do they carry Hires also?

Hires is around but not easy to find where I live. I've seen more towards Buffalo and Syracuse.
drpep
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/21 10:40:16 (permalink)
www.bevnet.com/bevboard is a good place to go if you need help finding a particular beverage.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/21 13:28:24 (permalink)
From reading several of your posts, I think that we in these parts got the short end of the stick from RC Cola years ago, for altho RC was about double the size of Coca-Cola, as some of you mention, it and Pepsi-Cola were the same size here, and RC was no cheaper than any colas or other sodas in this market. But that is all long ago and far away. I did try to get a Pepsi Twist in a small, non-super, non-grocery sectioned WalMart yesterday, but with no luck. Sure I can get one when hit the regular WalMart later this week. Anxiouis to try one. I did enjoy the soda fountain forum and epicurious.com website you recommended, CheeseWit. Only one of the old time soda fountains included in the review with which I'm familiar is Crown Candy Kitchen in St. Louis. I'm not familiar with any of its non-dairy items, but can surely recommend its milk shakes and malts and all its ice cream dishes. Liketoeat
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/21 13:36:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Texicana

Cheerwine, is it really good? I began obsessing with it last year. I even drove into Charleston, WV from Eastern KY to hunt some down, since I found out through the company website that they distributed some in that city. I can't remember how many stores big and small I hit, with no luck. Guess I'll mail order.

I remember growing up with real cane sugar cokes we got from Mexico, as well as Fanta in it's myriad of flavors.
Cheerwine is good, a slightly more cherry flavored cherry coke. If you can get it in the 12 oz. glass bottles, it's much better that way than cans or plastic. Try <sodapopstop.com> for mail order, but it's expensive that way. It is carried in stores the closer you get to NC from where you are. I can find it in extreeme N. GA but not close to Atlanta.
jpatweb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/23 08:40:21 (permalink)
Interesting article in today's (7/23) Times about the staying power of regional brands.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/23/dining/23SODA.html?8hpib
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/23 14:27:13 (permalink)
Ah, that NYT story was written by my old friend Paul Lukas! If you ever see copies of his old zine BEER FRAME (subtitled "The Journal of Inconspicuous Consumption"), snap them up immediately!
M&M
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/23 17:57:05 (permalink)
July 23 Food Section of the New York Times has an article on regional soda that might be of interest. Includes comments on Faygo, Bubble Up etc. Mention is made of my childhood favorite Buffalo Rock, but, alas, BR is no longer produced so far as I know although I believe either the Pepsi or Coke bottler in Birmingham is titled Buffalo Rock Bottling Co., and a few years ago produced some commerative bottles of this fine beverage.
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/23 21:40:45 (permalink)
Nice article in today's NY Times.
nvillekat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/31 02:18:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RockyB

I was wondering if anyone remembers a soda called "Pomac"? It was marketed around the late 60's as the "Soft Drink from the Continent".
Does anyone remember this stuff, and does anyone know who made it?
nvillekat
Junior Burger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/31 02:20:46 (permalink)
quote:

I was wondering if anyone remembers a soda called "Pomac"? It was marketed around the late 60's as the "Soft Drink from the Continent".

Yep! I remember Pomac very well. I lived in Memphis, TN beginning in the late '60's. My cousins and i used to walk to a little corner grocery and buy it. We thought it tasted like beer (or at least what we THOUGHT beer tasted like!). It was great, but have not seen it in YEARS>
nvillekat
Junior Burger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/31 02:27:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by nvillekat

quote:

Yep! I remember Pomac very well. I lived in Memphis, TN beginning in the late '60's. My cousins and i used to walk to a little corner grocery and buy it. We thought it tasted like beer (or at least what we THOUGHT beer tasted like!). It was great, but have not seen it in YEARS>

I forgot to mention, in my searching and researching Pomac, I have discovered that it was actually a Coca-Cola product.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/31 02:35:02 (permalink)
Just saw a teaser for August 4 Unwrapped show on Soda Pop on Food Network. 9:30 PM eastern and pacific. Based on the clip I saw they will rerun a piece on Galcos Old World Grocery in the Los Angeles area. Galcos, www.sodapopstop.com features 200 or so small regional and specialty sodas by the individual bottle. All the ones discussed on this thread and then some you don't even remember.

After seeing this piece the first time, I made an effort to visit this store when I was in LA last year. It was well worth it. They also have a very very good italian cold cut sandwich for like $2.25. Catch this show. You will enjoy it.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2876
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/31 02:57:11 (permalink)
Just noticed Henry Weinhardt has come out with root beer and cream soda.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/31 14:19:03 (permalink)
I've found a little store here that carries "Dr. Enuf" a regional soda from Johnson City, TN -- it's quite good, providing a tangy lemon-lime complement to my barbecue. Tastes like a cross between ginger ale and 7Up...
drpep
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/07/31 14:46:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by M&M

July 23 Food Section of the New York Times has an article on regional soda that might be of interest. Includes comments on Faygo, Bubble Up etc. Mention is made of my childhood favorite Buffalo Rock, but, alas, BR is no longer produced so far as I know although I believe either the Pepsi or Coke bottler in Birmingham is titled Buffalo Rock Bottling Co., and a few years ago produced some commerative bottles of this fine beverage.

Buffalo Rock is a Pepsi bottler. They still make Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale and Grapico. You can order cans of those at www.buffalorock.com.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/08/01 08:50:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by drpep

quote:
Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

Anyone here still see Orange Crush around anywhere? We sporadically used to get it..but it has disappeared...nothing like it!

Where I live in upstate NY most supermarkets have Crush in cans and 2 liter bottles. Most of the Walmarts I stopped at between NY and Florida in June have Orange, Grape, and Strawberry Crush in 6 pack 12oz bottles.
Polar Beverages of Worcester, Ma bottles and distributes Crush products over a large part of the Northeast.

Pardon a little nostalgia while an old fart remembers "back when I was a kid". Orange Crush in cans or plastic just doesn't come close to the old drink in the dark brown bottles.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/08/01 08:54:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Liketoeat

From the past - Why did folks who regularly drank Coca-Cola or Pepsi-Cola always have to have RC Cola to drink when eating a Moon Pie?

There was a very popular old country song in the '50s that went "Give me an RC Cola and a Moon Pie and play Maple on the Hill". That's where I picked up the combination, and it just became a natural.
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/08/01 08:58:42 (permalink)
Orange Crush in the amber bottles was great. In fact, all sodas were/are better in glass. I have a few of the old Orange Crush bottles in my collection. I even have an unopened full one from the early 50's.
M&M
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/08/01 09:59:21 (permalink)
Hey, drpep, thanks for the link to Buffalo Rock! As I said in my post I thought BR was long gone. Next trip to B'ham I'll be sure to pick up a supply.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/08/01 11:27:03 (permalink)
I need some memory jogging. When I was growing up we used to bering home sodas from a local bottler in AUstin Texas. I think we bought them because the plant used to sell dry ice (used to pack up venison from trips to family ranch). They had a million colorful flavors. I don't remember anything remarkable about them, but the colors were cool for little kids (we're talking circa 1965 here)
I just thought maybe this giant pool of knowledge could help out an inquiring mind. I could call my Mom, but it would take her two hours to tell me
larrya17
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/08/05 22:31:34 (permalink)
quote:

larrya17
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/08/05 22:36:31 (permalink)
I remember Pomac. It seems to me that it was a test market product. I lived in Kennett, MO at the time. It was no later than 1965 when I first tried it. Seems to me it was amber in color and I thought perhaps tasted like apple cider.
danite
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/08/06 21:09:41 (permalink)
quote:

I was living in Oroville CA. Must have been 11 or 12 which puts it about 62. Often wondered what happen to Pomac? Strange how we think of those things...

Porter

SkyyeBlue
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/08/08 06:41:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

I do have one question about the Grapefruit flavored sodas such as Wink and Fresca. How many of you actually like the flavor? It is definitely an "adult" taste.

I like Fresca, it is the only "diet" soda that I can stomach the taste of (give me high fructose corn syrup over aspertame any day) but the funny thing is I don't like (actual) grapefruit! And regular Mt. Dew is just too ssssssweet. bleech. However, I do like Code Red. Tastes like a Shirley Temple.
familydok
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/08/08 06:56:00 (permalink)
Is Cheerwine available anywhere other than NC? Not a wine-a soft drink similiar to Dr. Pepper.
SkyyeBlue
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/08/08 07:01:29 (permalink)
Anybody remember "New York Seltzers"? I remember them from about 1985 and on... clear beverages with flavoring, they had a real good cream seltzer, not too sweet, also lemon/lime. Haven't seen those in ages. They used to come in the fat, short glass bottles, before the "curvy" plastic Coke ones came out.
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) 2003/08/08 09:43:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by familydok

Is Cheerwine available anywhere other than NC? Not a wine-a soft drink similiar to Dr. Pepper.

As mentioned before in this thread, Cheerwine is mostly available in NC, TN, SC and N. GA. You can get it in 12 oz. bottles rfom sodapopstop.com by the case, but it is expensive. But for my money and taste, the 12 oz. glass bottles taste better than cans or plastic.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 19
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1