The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Regional Sodas (or Pops)

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 9 of 19, messages 241 to 270 of 564
Author Message
Lucky Bishop

  • Total Posts: 1049
  • Joined: 6/9/2003
  • Location: Allston, MA
RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sat, 08/9/03 3:13 AM (permalink)
I remember New York Seltzers -- the raspberry ones were awesome.

Who remembers Like Cola?
 
    RockyB

    • Total Posts: 120
    • Joined: 6/19/2003
    • Location: Binghamton, NY
    RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sat, 08/9/03 8:03 AM (permalink)
    Who remembers Like cola? I do. If I'm not mistaken it was a Canada Dry product.
     
      drpep

      • Total Posts: 335
      • Joined: 6/26/2003
      • Location: Corning, NY
      RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sat, 08/9/03 10:15 PM (permalink)
      I remember Like Cola. I remember it well because up until mid 2002 you could buy it in the Scranton, Pennsylvania area. I had just recently finished the last can of the 3 six packs I bought last year.
       
        kidlightning

        • Total Posts: 33
        • Joined: 8/7/2003
        • Location: urbana, IL
        RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sun, 08/10/03 12:50 AM (permalink)
        Then there was Pal Cola, which was a similar product to Moutain Dew...I think it actually tasted better...
        O-So_Good
        Squirt
        Grapette
        And Shasta I think is in national distribution...at least I can get it in central Illinois
        and how about double Cola?
        and Tab?

        Does anyone still sell Pepsi in 16 ounce glass bottles anymore? It tastes better than aluminum or plastic!
         
          CheeseWit

          • Total Posts: 1393
          • Joined: 4/10/2003
          • Location: West Chester, PA
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sun, 08/10/03 12:56 AM (permalink)
          Kidlightning: I suggest you read this thread and see what has been discussed already. Just about every brand you mentioned has been discussed. I suggest to anyone new to roadfood.com read through the threads and then post a comment if it's pertinent and/or new. Just a suggestion...
          quote:
          Originally posted by kidlightning

          Then there was Pal Cola, which was a similar product to Moutain Dew...I think it actually tasted better...
          O-So_Good
          Squirt
          Grapette
          And Shasta I think is in national distribution...at least I can get it in central Illinois
          and how about double Cola?
          and Tab?

          Does anyone still sell Pepsi in 16 ounce glass bottles anymore? It tastes better than aluminum or plastic!
           
            ConeyIslandLou

            • Total Posts: 737
            • Joined: 4/30/2003
            • Location: Middletown, NY
            RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sun, 08/10/03 7:44 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by kidlightning



            And Shasta I think is in national distribution...at least I can get it in central Illinois


            Does anyone still sell Pepsi in 16 ounce glass bottles anymore? It tastes better than aluminum or plastic!


            Shasta has seemed to corner the 'dollar store' market..local Dollar Tree store carries it- 2 20 oz bottles for $1..COLD no less too!

            Coke and Pepsi have both done a real nice job of KILLING the 16 oz glass bottle....Talked to a guy awhile back in a beverage barn where I USED to be able to pick it up;and he said that both companies essentially blackmailed/threatened the few local bottlers that were still using them into switching to plastic...
             
              kidlightning

              • Total Posts: 33
              • Joined: 8/7/2003
              • Location: urbana, IL
              RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sun, 08/10/03 12:12 PM (permalink)
              Pepsi has just come out with a vanilla pepsi(both regular and diet) in this area (central illinois. I tried a bottl;e last night and it is very good...much better than the vanilla coke. If you close your eyes, you think you are really at the old soda fountain. It really puts the vanilla coke to shame. Incidentially, I concur with everyone that the lemon pledge coke was awful! Pepsi Free (from the 80's) and the current Twist is so much better!
               
                Lucky Bishop

                • Total Posts: 1049
                • Joined: 6/9/2003
                • Location: Allston, MA
                RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sun, 08/10/03 4:43 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou
                Coke and Pepsi have both done a real nice job of KILLING the 16 oz glass bottle....Talked to a guy awhile back in a beverage barn where I USED to be able to pick it up;and he said that both companies essentially blackmailed/threatened the few local bottlers that were still using them into switching to plastic...


                On the other hand, Coke has successfully reintroduced the 7 oz. glass bottle (which I've always preferred) with Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite and Canada Dry all readily available in the Boston area.
                 
                  jeffskal

                  • Total Posts: 54
                  • Joined: 5/26/2003
                  • Location: Sylmar, CA
                  RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sun, 08/10/03 7:32 PM (permalink)
                  Anyone interested in the workings of the beverage industry should read this
                  web page by Elliott of Elliott's Amazing, a small juice company owner
                  in the Philadelphia area... Read about Pepsi, Coke, Snapple, Nantucket Nectars, what happened to Franks' Sodas, etc. - Fascinating stuff!

                  http://www.elliottsamazing.com/faq_cmp.html
                   
                    Lucky Bishop

                    • Total Posts: 1049
                    • Joined: 6/9/2003
                    • Location: Allston, MA
                    RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sun, 08/10/03 11:48 PM (permalink)
                    Funny, but nowhere in Elliott's poorly-written and creatively spelled slam book against the big companies that are keeping him down, maaaaaaaaaaan, does he mention that his own product tastes like a diabetic koala's morning urine. Perhaps if he weren't so consumed with what the big boys are doing, he could find time to improve his own stuff.
                     
                      jeffskal

                      • Total Posts: 54
                      • Joined: 5/26/2003
                      • Location: Sylmar, CA
                      RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Mon, 08/11/03 3:54 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

                      Funny, but nowhere in Elliott's poorly-written and creatively spelled slam book against the big companies that are keeping him down, maaaaaaaaaaan, does he mention that his own product tastes like a diabetic koala's morning urine. Perhaps if he weren't so consumed with what the big boys are doing, he could find time to improve his own stuff.

                      Wow. I've never had his stuff myself - don't think much of it gets out to the west coast. That good, huh? :)
                       
                        jeffskal

                        • Total Posts: 54
                        • Joined: 5/26/2003
                        • Location: Sylmar, CA
                        RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Mon, 08/11/03 3:58 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by kidlightning

                        Pepsi has just come out with a vanilla pepsi(both regular and diet) in this area (central illinois. I tried a bottl;e last night and it is very good...much better than the vanilla coke. If you close your eyes, you think you are really at the old soda fountain. It really puts the vanilla coke to shame. Incidentially, I concur with everyone that the lemon pledge coke was awful! Pepsi Free (from the 80's) and the current Twist is so much better!

                        I was in my local Ralph's market (LA - San Fernando Valley) and sure enough, there it was, Vanilla Pepsi in diet and regular - had to buy a bottle, and sure enough - it (the Diet version) blows away the Diet Vanilla Coke; I've bought that a few times, but then after I drink some, keep wondering why I do, it's got kind of a chemical taste. This is MUCH better... Thanks for the tip!
                         
                          mayor al

                          • Total Posts: 15073
                          • Joined: 8/20/2002
                          • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Tue, 08/12/03 11:58 AM (permalink)
                          BULLETIN,
                          For some reason -unknown to anyone but dearly departed SAM- Stewart's Soda in Black Cherry, Root Beer, Orange Creme, and Key Lime flavors IN GLASS BOTTLE 6-packs are now carried by my local WalMart SuperCenter (Corydon,IN). Also Ale81 in 12 pack cans is now on the shelf too. Didn't get the price on the Stewart's but the Ale81 is $299 a 12er.
                           
                            jeffskal

                            • Total Posts: 54
                            • Joined: 5/26/2003
                            • Location: Sylmar, CA
                            RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Tue, 08/12/03 12:06 PM (permalink)
                            Stewart's in the local supermarkets in L.A. are $3.50 a four-pack, $3 on sale.
                             
                              Liketoeat

                              • Total Posts: 552
                              • Joined: 5/26/2003
                              • Location: Marvell, AR
                              RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 09/5/03 12:26 AM (permalink)
                              Here at the end of the summer, I finally today found some lemon flavored Pepsi Twist which several of us were discussing back in July. However, I think there must be something wrong with my taster, for while its flavor is ok, it really was not as good to me as was the lemon flavored Coca-Cola which I tried last summer and which everyone else said was the world's worst tasting soda, tasting like Pledge. I think I must have been unusually hot, thirsty, and tired that day to have thought it tasted so good, what with opinion of everyone else. Think someone's suggestion of a slice/squeeze of a lemon in a glass of Coke is probably the best of all ideas re this topic.
                               
                                Poverty Pete

                                • Total Posts: 2266
                                • Joined: 8/16/2003
                                • Location: Nashville, TN
                                RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 09/5/03 12:49 AM (permalink)
                                My favorite name, if not drink, is Kickapoo Joy Juice. Don't know who made it, but I think it was a precursor to Mountain Dew. I used to be the brewmaster at Gray's in Wisconsin. We made some excellent root beer.
                                 
                                  KimChee43

                                  • Total Posts: 382
                                  • Joined: 8/25/2003
                                  • Location: Chicago, IL
                                  RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 09/5/03 10:46 AM (permalink)
                                  We could buy small 6 oz. bottles of "Trick or Treat" soda. I don't know who made it, but I remember flavors like orange, root beer, grape. Anyone else out there drink "Trick or Treat" soda?

                                  The "mom and pop" store carried "Howdy" soda. I believe that that was produced by Coca-Cola. They were 10 oz. glass bottles. Flavors: root beer, orange, grape...maybe more, but I can't remember.

                                  Dad's Root Beer was a favorite and was produced in Chicago. It was a family operation initially, but now one of the big soda producers owns it.
                                   
                                    ocdreamr

                                    • Total Posts: 1109
                                    • Joined: 3/12/2003
                                    • Location: Wilmington, NC
                                    RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 09/5/03 12:42 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

                                    My favorite name, if not drink, is Kickapoo Joy Juice. Don't know who made it, but I think it was a precursor to Mountain Dew.


                                    Definitely a tie in to the "Lil' Abner" comic strip that was popular from the mid 40's through the 60's or early 70's.
                                     
                                      hucknbock

                                      • Total Posts: 26
                                      • Joined: 7/7/2003
                                      • Location: Fairfield, ME
                                      RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 09/5/03 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                      Seaman's Orange Soda, limited to maritime Canada. Only in glass bottles. In fact, several years ago, Prince Edward Island enacted a law prohibiting pop from being sold in anything but glass bottles, in a thinly-veiled attempt to protect Seaman's from the big boys. Ironically, a couple years later Seaman's made a deal with Coke and now bottles all Coke products in glass for the island (though not coke's original shape.) Still their own orange, though.
                                       
                                        hilldweller

                                        • Total Posts: 168
                                        • Joined: 7/20/2003
                                        • Location: Staten Island, NYC, NY
                                        RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 09/5/03 3:04 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by hucknbock

                                        Seaman's Orange Soda, limited to maritime Canada. Only in glass bottles. In fact, several years ago, Prince Edward Island enacted a law prohibiting pop from being sold in anything but glass bottles, in a thinly-veiled attempt to protect Seaman's from the big boys. Ironically, a couple years later Seaman's made a deal with Coke and now bottles all Coke products in glass for the island (though not coke's original shape.) Still their own orange, though.


                                        Your comments reminded me of a quirky Australian movie called The Coca-Cola Kid about an ostensible war between the last independent soda bottler in Australia and Coca-Cola.
                                        [url='http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088931/']Don't wanna go where there's no Coca-Cola![/url]
                                         
                                          TFitz

                                          • Total Posts: 63
                                          • Joined: 1/25/2003
                                          • Location: Baltimore, MD
                                          RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 09/5/03 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                          In addition to the soda's mentioned in this very informative and nostalgic forum was a brand called Suburban. They had the usual cola, grape and orange soda's but they had a soda called "almond smash". I think that it had a cherry flavor. It was unique and I've often wondered what brands today would come close to the flavor of almond smash.
                                           
                                            Lucky Bishop

                                            • Total Posts: 1049
                                            • Joined: 6/9/2003
                                            • Location: Allston, MA
                                            RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 09/5/03 3:37 PM (permalink)
                                            Seaman's isn't just in maritime Canada: I buy it in Toronto too.
                                             
                                              Goodellsboy

                                              • Total Posts: 6
                                              • Joined: 8/9/2003
                                              • Location: Goodells, MI
                                              RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 09/5/03 4:38 PM (permalink)
                                              I grew up just outside of Chicago. We were drinking Canfield's "Cherry-Ola-Cola" before Cherry Coke even came out! My mom like the chocolate fudge pop--not my idea of refreshing, but hey, life is too short . . .
                                               
                                                jmckee

                                                • Total Posts: 1172
                                                • Joined: 11/26/2001
                                                • Location: Batavia, OH
                                                RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 09/5/03 5:15 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by ocdreamr

                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Poverty Pete

                                                My favorite name, if not drink, is Kickapoo Joy Juice. Don't know who made it, but I think it was a precursor to Mountain Dew.


                                                Definitely a tie in to the "Lil' Abner" comic strip that was popular from the mid 40's through the 60's or early 70's.


                                                Wasn't the slogan, "It'll tickle yore innards!" or some such? Or was that the old Mountain Dew slogan back in *mumblemumblemumble...*?

                                                Blenheim Ginger Ale, if I've not mentioned it before, is available in the Carolinas. WHEW! Does this stuff have a KICK. And I didn't even touch the "Hot" flavor!

                                                My son's nuts for Cheerwine, which he associates with the Outer Banks. I generally order him a couple of 12 packs online for Christmas. We're not big soda pop drinkers, so he can make that last him a few months.
                                                 
                                                  CheeseWit

                                                  • Total Posts: 1393
                                                  • Joined: 4/10/2003
                                                  • Location: West Chester, PA
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 09/5/03 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                                  "It'll tickle yore innards" was the Mountain Dew slogan. I have some great old bottles pre-1970 with the Mountain Dew hillbilly and that slogan.
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by jmckee

                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by ocdreamr

                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Poverty Pete

                                                  My favorite name, if not drink, is Kickapoo Joy Juice. Don't know who made it, but I think it was a precursor to Mountain Dew.


                                                  Definitely a tie in to the "Lil' Abner" comic strip that was popular from the mid 40's through the 60's or early 70's.


                                                  Wasn't the slogan, "It'll tickle yore innards!" or some such? Or was that the old Mountain Dew slogan back in *mumblemumblemumble...*?

                                                  Blenheim Ginger Ale, if I've not mentioned it before, is available in the Carolinas. WHEW! Does this stuff have a KICK. And I didn't even touch the "Hot" flavor!

                                                  My son's nuts for Cheerwine, which he associates with the Outer Banks. I generally order him a couple of 12 packs online for Christmas. We're not big soda pop drinkers, so he can make that last him a few months.
                                                   
                                                    wallhd

                                                    RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 09/5/03 8:54 PM (permalink)
                                                    Seem to me that the first sugar-free (or diet) soda (that's what we've always called any carbonated beverage here in Northeastern NY State) I remember was some crap with the brand-name of Diet-Rite Cola. I think it was part of the Royal Crown (later called RC) family. Boy did it taste like ****. I would think that this was in 1964 or 1965. I expect those dates qualify me as (almost!) an olde fart.

                                                    Wally
                                                     
                                                      ocdreamr

                                                      • Total Posts: 1109
                                                      • Joined: 3/12/2003
                                                      • Location: Wilmington, NC
                                                      RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Fri, 09/5/03 10:30 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by wallhd

                                                      Seem to me that the first sugar-free (or diet) soda (that's what we've always called any carbonated beverage here in Northeastern NY State) I remember was some crap with the brand-name of Diet-Rite Cola. I think it was part of the Royal Crown (later called RC) family. Boy did it taste like ****. I would think that this was in 1964 or 1965. I expect those dates qualify me as (almost!) an olde fart.

                                                      Wally


                                                      I don't know what it tasted like back then, didn't like any of the diet sodas back when they used sacharin. But Diet Rite is still out there & now sweetens with Splenda. In my humble it is one of the best diet sodas now. Splenda is sugar without the carbs, therefore anything made with it tastes like it would made with regular sugar. As a matter of fact I'm sipping on one right now!Another plus is that unlike other sodas there's no caffiene & no sodium. Just sweetened colored fizzy water!They also have flavors, the tangerine is a seriously good orange.
                                                       
                                                        peppertree

                                                        • Total Posts: 301
                                                        • Joined: 6/15/2003
                                                        • Location: Austin(Brooklyn guy), TX
                                                        RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Mon, 09/8/03 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                                        The biggest soft drink bust of all time: Coke II or New Coke introduced in 1987. I prefer New Coke to Coke Classic. I stocked up on it at one time but ran out. The last 2 liter bottle of it that I ever saw for sale was at a liquor store on Belmont Avenue in Chicago in 1999 and it had dust on the plastic bottle. I bought it and enjoyed it as I always have enjoyed New Coke.
                                                         
                                                          improviser

                                                          • Total Posts: 865
                                                          • Joined: 7/3/2003
                                                          • Location: Clemson, SC
                                                          RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Mon, 09/8/03 10:28 PM (permalink)
                                                          The new Pepsi Vanilla does nothing for me. It tastes flat as if they bottled just the syrups and forgot to carbonate. To me, Vanilla Coke is better but not something I can drink every day. I usually bypass the bottled Vanilla Coke and go directly to Waffle House. Along with the surly waitresses and maddening songs on the jukeboxes, the flavored syrups for your Coke are another perk.
                                                           
                                                            Ort. Carlton.

                                                            • Total Posts: 3589
                                                            • Joined: 4/9/2003
                                                            • Location: Athens, GA
                                                            RE: Regional Sodas (or Pops) Sun, 09/14/03 9:55 PM (permalink)
                                                            Oh, Poverty Pete,
                                                            Gray's USED to make some excellent root beer? What happened; did they go out of business? I hope not; Gray's (Janesville, WI.) were some of the most consistently excellent microbrews I ever tasted. And the packaging on the Honey Ale, with the demented, leering bee ("Bzz, Bzz... I got mine, hee hee... you get yours!" it seemed to be saying) was one of the most ingenious things I've EVER seen.
                                                            I found a small Gray's tasting glass in a thrift store for 25 cents awhile back. Now, if I could only get up there to buy a t-shirt... assuming, as I am, that the company is still in business....
                                                            Hey, I admit it... I like good beer almost as much as I do good food!
                                                            Prositionally, Ort. Carlton in One-Brewpub (Very Good, I Must Hasten To Add!) Athens, Georgia.
                                                            P. S. I am wearing a Blind Man Ale t-shirt as I peck. That was the first Southern brewery to make only bottle-and-cask-conditioned Real Ale! They lasted a couple of years, but because they brewed on rubble, try as they might, there was little quality control. Sigh. They made a flagship Ale, an India Brown Ale (87 I. B. U.), and an Espresso Stout. W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L stuff!
                                                             
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 9 of 19, messages 241 to 270 of 564

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 3 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com