The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Regional breakfasts

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 101
Author Message
MellowRoast

  • Total Posts: 1932
  • Joined: 8/21/2007
  • Location: 'Nooga
RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 2:52 AM (permalink)
I don't know if it's common throughout the state, but I fell in love with tomato gravy & biscuits from Pea Ridge, Alabama almost 30 years ago, and I've been eating it ever since.

It's prepared as you would regular sausage gravy, but instead of milk you add tomatoes fresh out of a blender along with a dash of Worcestershire and Tabasco.

It's the most delicious breakfast I've ever eaten, and looks beautiful on a plate.
 
#31
    leethebard

    • Total Posts: 6081
    • Joined: 8/16/2007
    • Location: brick, NJ
    RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 4:29 AM (permalink)
    Now..that is something different!!!!
     
    #32
      sammur

      • Total Posts: 138
      • Joined: 5/11/2004
      • Location: SAVANNAH, GA
      RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 9:18 AM (permalink)
      Miami Don, thanks so much for your reply.
      I'm in Coconut Grove every Jan on business. I know that the LAC on 27th is gone and I think the one on Coral way is out of business. You are right about Versailles, it's a must. Do you know anything about El Pub on Calle 8 for breakfast?
       
      #33
        MiamiDon

        RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 9:40 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by sammur

        Miami Don, thanks so much for your reply.
        I'm in Coconut Grove every Jan on business. I know that the LAC on 27th is gone and I think the one on Coral way is out of business. You are right about Versailles, it's a must. Do you know anything about El Pub on Calle 8 for breakfast?


        I've never been there for breakfast, and it has been years since I had lunch there.

        I looked on their web site,

        http://www.elpubrestaurant.com/index1.htm

        but, I could not find breakfast dishes on the menu, nor the operating hours. As they have a cafe window, they might have an abreviated (toast, pastries) breakfast menu. Well, since you have until January, I'll go have a look. I can always use a coffee break!
         
        #34
          RubyRose

          • Total Posts: 2187
          • Joined: 5/7/2003
          • Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
          RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 9:49 AM (permalink)
          Many diners/family restaurants in this area of eastern PA have a dish usually called “farmers’ breakfast” on the menu. It’s fried diced or sliced potatoes, ham and onions (and occasionally peppers) with a couple of beaten eggs poured on top and cooked until firm. It’s served in one piece and covers the whole plate.

          Since nearly all of the diners here are Greek owned, spinach and feta cheese omelets are on most menus. Two items that are rarely seen are grits and sausage gravy, although dried beef gravy (creamed dried beef) on toast is served in all the locally owned places.
           
          #35
            mikez629

            • Total Posts: 307
            • Joined: 1/15/2008
            • Location: Oakland, NJ
            RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 10:05 AM (permalink)
            Philadelphia-Creamed chipped beef over white toast
             
            #36
              allyk

              • Total Posts: 154
              • Joined: 10/16/2006
              • Location: Nashville, TN
              RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 7:15 PM (permalink)
              Here in the South, fried chicken, fish, or pork chops are not unheard of with eggs, grits, biscuits and gravy. In some areas rice is served instead of grits. My personal favorite is salmon croquettes, eggs over easy, cheese grits, salmon gravy, and biscuits. Yum! MellowRoast: yes, tomato gravy is divine!
               
              #37
                wanderingjew

                • Total Posts: 7384
                • Joined: 1/18/2001
                • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 7:45 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by mikez629

                Philadelphia-Creamed chipped beef over white toast


                I see that in Baltimore alot too- actually most of Maryland
                 
                #38
                  MellowRoast

                  • Total Posts: 1932
                  • Joined: 8/21/2007
                  • Location: 'Nooga
                  RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 8:23 PM (permalink)
                  Allyk, when I tell people about tomato gravy & biscuits, I normally get a blank stare! Thanks for the thumbs up!

                  And I agree on the fried chicken & eggs for breakfast. Hard to find in restaurants, but it was the first meal I had at the Loveless Cafe back in '74.
                   
                  #39
                    Ort. Carlton.

                    • Total Posts: 3589
                    • Joined: 4/9/2003
                    • Location: Athens, GA
                    RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 10:53 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by gsquared81
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Jim in NC
                    In NC, the not-so-appetizingly named livermush. With grits and hot biscuits.

                    Livermush is one of the finer things in life


                    Oh, Dearfolk,
                    You ain't just whistlin' Dixie there!
                    My favorite of all I've tried is Frank Corriher's Hot, from China Grove, N. C. You don't need a dollop of Texas Pete with that!
                    Here in Georgia, I can buy Jenkins' (regular and hot) from Shelby, N. C. and Greenwood Packing from S. C.
                    Some recommended brands that I've tried are Mack's (regular and hot) from Shelby, N. C., Jamison's from Charlotte, and Neese's (regular liver mush and regular and hot liver pudding) from Greensboro, N. C. -- And this is only the tip of the iceberg, folks... there must be 35 brands of livermush, liver mush, and liver pudding on the market, and some of these are only sold in one county.
                    In S. C., liver pudding takes on another dimension as it is made with rice instead of corn, as is customary in N. C. Two leading brands there are Counts' from Prosperity, S. C. and Harvin's from Sumter.
                    If anyone wants to talk about their favorite brand of livermush, I'd love to hear from them -- here or in an e-mail.
                    Mush Obliged, Ort. Carlton in I'm Not Pudding You On Athens, Georgia.
                    P. S. Thanks for posting this, Jim and gsquared81... if I'd've found it earlier, I would've mentioned it sooner.
                    P. P. S. Y'all making me hongry!! -- I sure do wish my all-night Kroger carried livermush.
                     
                    #40
                      Ort. Carlton.

                      • Total Posts: 3589
                      • Joined: 4/9/2003
                      • Location: Athens, GA
                      RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 10:57 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Jim in NC
                      Nearly vanished from commercial establishments in this area: Brains'n'eggs.


                      Jim,
                      I am told that this is ubiquitous on mom-and-pop restaurant menus around Jefferson City, Missouri. There's also an eatery there that specializes in brain sandwiches.
                      One serving of brains and I've received a month's supply of cholestrol! I'd rather enjoy killing myself and eat livermush.
                      Feeling Mush Better Now, Ort. Carlton in Ever-Effervescent Athens, Georgia.
                       
                      #41
                        Ort. Carlton.

                        • Total Posts: 3589
                        • Joined: 4/9/2003
                        • Location: Athens, GA
                        RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 11:00 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by X1
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by annpeeples
                        Beignets in New Orleans...

                        You took my answer!!!!
                        Also: Beignets w/Cafe au Lait
                        Grillades and Grits


                        Dearfolk,
                        On the New Orleans track, don't forget about PAIN PERDU! Only one or two places still prepare it, but it's still available at (I think it is) The Coffee Pot in The French Quarter.
                        Do any other places still make it? It's getting to be a PAIN to find it.
                        As Per Due Me, Ort. Carlton in Decidedly UnFrench Athens, Georgia.
                         
                        #42
                          Ort. Carlton.

                          • Total Posts: 3589
                          • Joined: 4/9/2003
                          • Location: Athens, GA
                          RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 11:10 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by MellowRoast
                          I don't know if it's common throughout the state, but I fell in love with tomato gravy & biscuits from Pea Ridge, Alabama almost 30 years ago, and I've been eating it ever since.


                          MellowRoast,
                          Do you have any suggestions as to where I ought to go to find me some of that? I'm planning to head over to Alabama to do some research later this Spring.
                          It used to be served in Wauchula, Florida at a long-gone eatery run by Alabama expatriates (three generations back), but since they retired, tomato gravy (usually made with local vine-ripened tomatoes) is a bygone edible in those parts.
                          I wish I had me some right about now.
                          'Materingly Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Less Chilly Athens, Georgia.
                           
                          #43
                            NYNM

                            • Total Posts: 3037
                            • Joined: 6/16/2005
                            • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                            RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 11:20 PM (permalink)
                            Dear First Responders: I find your comments fascinating. Isn't it amazing that we even start the day in different ways based on location. I always enjoy hearing about regional differences. Thanks.
                             
                            #44
                              slcgrad

                              • Total Posts: 10
                              • Joined: 2/28/2008
                              • Location: New Orleans, LA
                              RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 03/26/08 11:37 PM (permalink)
                              Growing up outside of Philadelphia, I used to have fried cornmeal mush with maple syrup for breakfast. Good stuff. You could buy it, frozen, at the A&P, in a long rectangular block. Is cornmeal mush gone forever now? I think there's some restaurant mentioned in Roadfood that still serves it. But I'll never remember what that restaurant is...
                               
                              #45
                                MellowRoast

                                • Total Posts: 1932
                                • Joined: 8/21/2007
                                • Location: 'Nooga
                                RE: Regional breakfasts Thu, 03/27/08 12:00 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

                                quote:
                                Originally posted by MellowRoast
                                I don't know if it's common throughout the state, but I fell in love with tomato gravy & biscuits from Pea Ridge, Alabama almost 30 years ago, and I've been eating it ever since.


                                MellowRoast,
                                Do you have any suggestions as to where I ought to go to find me some of that? I'm planning to head over to Alabama to do some research later this Spring.
                                It used to be served in Wauchula, Florida at a long-gone eatery run by Alabama expatriates (three generations back), but since they retired, tomato gravy (usually made with local vine-ripened tomatoes) is a bygone edible in those parts.
                                I wish I had me some right about now.
                                'Materingly Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Less Chilly Athens, Georgia.


                                I hate to tell you this, Ort. Carlton, but I don't have a clue. I don't think I've ever seen it served in a restaurant, though I've suggested it to countless proprietors. But I still received that blank stare!

                                It was introduced to me in Alabama homes, and I'm forever grateful. (Thank you, Susan McCoy, where ever you are!)

                                You're right about the fresh tomatoes (though canned will work). They were tossed in a blender so the gravy consistency would be similar to that of milk gravy. But, oh, the flavor!

                                 
                                #46
                                  Foodbme

                                  • Total Posts: 9552
                                  • Joined: 9/1/2006
                                  • Location: Gilbert, AZ
                                  RE: Regional breakfasts Thu, 03/27/08 1:01 AM (permalink)
                                  In the old Rust Belt; Pittsburgh,Cleveland etc, breakfast for the guys coming off the "Hootowl" Shift was a Shot & a Beer Chaser with Pickled Hard Boiled Eggs at 7:05AM in a bar usually located about 50 feet outside the plant gate!
                                   
                                  #47
                                    MellowRoast

                                    • Total Posts: 1932
                                    • Joined: 8/21/2007
                                    • Location: 'Nooga
                                    RE: Regional breakfasts Thu, 03/27/08 6:15 AM (permalink)
                                    I'm not familiar with livermush. Guess I'll have to search for it. Have I missed out on something good?
                                     
                                    #48
                                      doggydaddy

                                      • Total Posts: 1847
                                      • Joined: 6/11/2006
                                      • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
                                      RE: Regional breakfasts Thu, 03/27/08 7:35 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by MellowRoast

                                      I don't know if it's common throughout the state, but I fell in love with tomato gravy & biscuits from Pea Ridge, Alabama almost 30 years ago, and I've been eating it ever since.

                                      It's prepared as you would regular sausage gravy, but instead of milk you add tomatoes fresh out of a blender along with a dash of Worcestershire and Tabasco.

                                      It's the most delicious breakfast I've ever eaten, and looks beautiful on a plate.


                                      I did not know that there was a regional basis and appreciation for tomato/beef gravy for breakfast. In the Navy, we called it 'Minced Beef' and we served it on cold pre-toasted bread. Ummmm...
                                      Though I am of the cream gravy camp, I would love to see and order tomato gravy instead.

                                      mark
                                       
                                      #49
                                        MellowRoast

                                        • Total Posts: 1932
                                        • Joined: 8/21/2007
                                        • Location: 'Nooga
                                        RE: Regional breakfasts Thu, 03/27/08 7:53 AM (permalink)
                                        Mark, the only version I'm familiar with or have had is made with crumbled breakfast sausage and served over buttermilk biscuits ("biskits" as I call them). The liquefied tomatoes simply replaced the milk.

                                        I've only seen it in Alabama, but it's possible other regions are onto the secret! I just didn't know it!




                                         
                                        #50
                                          gsquared81

                                          • Total Posts: 16
                                          • Joined: 1/30/2008
                                          • Location: charlotte, NC
                                          RE: Regional breakfasts Thu, 03/27/08 9:11 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by gsquared81
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Jim in NC
                                          In NC, the not-so-appetizingly named livermush. With grits and hot biscuits.

                                          Livermush is one of the finer things in life


                                          Oh, Dearfolk,
                                          You ain't just whistlin' Dixie there!
                                          My favorite of all I've tried is Frank Corriher's Hot, from China Grove, N. C. You don't need a dollop of Texas Pete with that!
                                          Here in Georgia, I can buy Jenkins' (regular and hot) from Shelby, N. C. and Greenwood Packing from S. C.
                                          Some recommended brands that I've tried are Mack's (regular and hot) from Shelby, N. C., Jamison's from Charlotte, and Neese's (regular liver mush and regular and hot liver pudding) from Greensboro, N. C. -- And this is only the tip of the iceberg, folks... there must be 35 brands of livermush, liver mush, and liver pudding on the market, and some of these are only sold in one county.
                                          In S. C., liver pudding takes on another dimension as it is made with rice instead of corn, as is customary in N. C. Two leading brands there are Counts' from Prosperity, S. C. and Harvin's from Sumter.
                                          If anyone wants to talk about their favorite brand of livermush, I'd love to hear from them -- here or in an e-mail.
                                          Mush Obliged, Ort. Carlton in I'm Not Pudding You On Athens, Georgia.
                                          P. S. Thanks for posting this, Jim and gsquared81... if I'd've found it earlier, I would've mentioned it sooner.
                                          P. P. S. Y'all making me hongry!! -- I sure do wish my all-night Kroger carried livermush.
                                           
                                          #51
                                            gsquared81

                                            • Total Posts: 16
                                            • Joined: 1/30/2008
                                            • Location: charlotte, NC
                                            RE: Regional breakfasts Thu, 03/27/08 9:14 AM (permalink)
                                            Ort. Carlton, I swear by Neese's livermush and sausages. Livermush for dinner is a staple in our house. Fry it up, and serve it with some mac & cheese, cabbage and pintos with cornbread on the side!
                                             
                                            #52
                                              Jim in NC

                                              • Total Posts: 186
                                              • Joined: 7/10/2002
                                              • Location: Lincoln Co., NC
                                              RE: Regional breakfasts Thu, 03/27/08 9:53 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by gsquared81
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Jim in NC
                                              In NC, the not-so-appetizingly named livermush. With grits and hot biscuits.

                                              Livermush is one of the finer things in life


                                              Oh, Dearfolk,
                                              You ain't just whistlin' Dixie there!
                                              My favorite of all I've tried is Frank Corriher's Hot, from China Grove, N. C. You don't need a dollop of Texas Pete with that!
                                              Here in Georgia, I can buy Jenkins' (regular and hot) from Shelby, N. C. and Greenwood Packing from S. C.
                                              Some recommended brands that I've tried are Mack's (regular and hot) from Shelby, N. C., Jamison's from Charlotte, and Neese's (regular liver mush and regular and hot liver pudding) from Greensboro, N. C. -- And this is only the tip of the iceberg, folks... there must be 35 brands of livermush, liver mush, and liver pudding on the market, and some of these are only sold in one county.
                                              In S. C., liver pudding takes on another dimension as it is made with rice instead of corn, as is customary in N. C. Two leading brands there are Counts' from Prosperity, S. C. and Harvin's from Sumter.
                                              If anyone wants to talk about their favorite brand of livermush, I'd love to hear from them -- here or in an e-mail.
                                              Mush Obliged, Ort. Carlton in I'm Not Pudding You On Athens, Georgia.
                                              P. S. Thanks for posting this, Jim and gsquared81... if I'd've found it earlier, I would've mentioned it sooner.
                                              P. P. S. Y'all making me hongry!! -- I sure do wish my all-night Kroger carried livermush.




                                              Ort.,
                                              Neese's now sells both liver pudding and livermush, the difference being the puddin' is made with rice as is favored by our neighbors in SC. The livermush is a relatively new product for Neese's. Pretty similar stuff except for texture. I've got another brand for you: Hunter's from Marion, NC, from which cholestrol is coursing through my veins as I write this... I believe it's available from Asheville over to about Gastonia.
                                               
                                              #53
                                                Big Ugly Mich

                                                • Total Posts: 1302
                                                • Joined: 1/12/2004
                                                • Location: Trevor, WI
                                                RE: Regional breakfasts Thu, 03/27/08 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by MellowRoast
                                                You're right about the fresh tomatoes (though canned will work). They were tossed in a blender so the gravy consistency would be similar to that of milk gravy. But, oh, the flavor!
                                                There are two problems with that approach:

                                                1. Here in the Midwest, tomato season is too brief. I sometimes can my own tomatoes, but problem #2 will explain why even that plan has a fatal flaw.
                                                2. When tomatoes are ripe, that's when they make it to the tummy before they make it to the kitchen.

                                                That's why so many of us cook with canned tomatoes.
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by slcgrad
                                                Growing up outside of Philadelphia, I used to have fried cornmeal mush with maple syrup for breakfast. Good stuff. You could buy it, frozen, at the A&P, in a long rectangular block. Is cornmeal mush gone forever now?
                                                I could be wrong, but I believe that's what our southern members refer to as grits. Grits do have the outer husk removed from the grain, which is why I admit I may be wrong.

                                                Most of you know this, but canned corn is made cream style by halving each grain so the starch will make the end result cream style.
                                                 
                                                #54
                                                  billyboy

                                                  • Total Posts: 2363
                                                  • Joined: 1/23/2005
                                                  • Location: New York City, NY
                                                  RE: Regional breakfasts Thu, 03/27/08 3:46 PM (permalink)
                                                  I don't know if it is available elsewhere, but I grew up on greens (sauteed escarole with olive oil and garlic) and toast at many restaurants in Rome, NY. Very Italian-American and delicious.

                                                  As part of my Breakfast Supreme Platter at the now closed Suburban Cafe in Rome, NY.


                                                   
                                                  #55
                                                    MellowRoast

                                                    • Total Posts: 1932
                                                    • Joined: 8/21/2007
                                                    • Location: 'Nooga
                                                    RE: Regional breakfasts Thu, 03/27/08 4:59 PM (permalink)
                                                    Never heard of greens for breakfast, Billyboy, but I wouldn't turn it down. Looks good to me!
                                                     
                                                    #56
                                                      Sundancer7

                                                      RE: Regional breakfasts Thu, 03/27/08 6:37 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by MellowRoast
                                                      You're right about the fresh tomatoes (though canned will work). They were tossed in a blender so the gravy consistency would be similar to that of milk gravy. But, oh, the flavor!
                                                      There are two problems with that approach:

                                                      1. Here in the Midwest, tomato season is too brief. I sometimes can my own tomatoes, but problem #2 will explain why even that plan has a fatal flaw.
                                                      2. When tomatoes are ripe, that's when they make it to the tummy before they make it to the kitchen.

                                                      That's why so many of us cook with canned tomatoes.
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by slcgrad
                                                      Growing up outside of Philadelphia, I used to have fried cornmeal mush with maple syrup for breakfast. Good stuff. You could buy it, frozen, at the A&P, in a long rectangular block. Is cornmeal mush gone forever now?
                                                      I could be wrong, but I believe that's what our southern members refer to as grits. Grits do have the outer husk removed from the grain, which is why I admit I may be wrong.

                                                      Most of you know this, but canned corn is made cream style by halving each grain so the starch will make the end result cream style.


                                                      I do not know about the rest of the country but in Tennessee, mush is not made from grits but cornmeal. Mamaw Smith makes it all the time.

                                                      Paul E. Smith
                                                      Knoxville, TN
                                                       
                                                      #57
                                                        NYNM

                                                        • Total Posts: 3037
                                                        • Joined: 6/16/2005
                                                        • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                                                        RE: Regional breakfasts Fri, 03/28/08 3:13 PM (permalink)
                                                        Just read that a favorite breakfast in Southern Florida for local "Crackers" is mullet & grits..
                                                         
                                                        #58
                                                          wanderingjew

                                                          • Total Posts: 7384
                                                          • Joined: 1/18/2001
                                                          • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          RE: Regional breakfasts Fri, 03/28/08 3:25 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by NYNM

                                                          Just read that a favorite breakfast in Southern Florida for local "Crackers" is mullet & grits..




                                                          ??
                                                           
                                                          #59
                                                            mayor al

                                                            • Total Posts: 15062
                                                            • Joined: 8/20/2002
                                                            • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: Regional breakfasts Fri, 03/28/08 3:33 PM (permalink)
                                                            WJ
                                                            What or Who is That?
                                                             
                                                            #60
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 101

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com