Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Regional breakfasts

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 101
wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7410
  • Roadfood Insider
RE: Regional breakfasts Fri, 03/28/08 3:44 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

WJ
What or Who is That?

It's a MULLET which according to NYNM is commonly served for breakfast in Florida~!

Sundancer7

RE: Regional breakfasts Fri, 03/28/08 3:59 PM (permalink)
    WJ: You lost me on that one???

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7410
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Regional breakfasts Fri, 03/28/08 4:04 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Sundancer7

WJ: You lost me on that one???

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullet_(haircut)

Sundancer7

RE: Regional breakfasts Fri, 03/28/08 4:11 PM (permalink)
        I understand now. I had never heard that that type of haircut was referred to as a mullet.

Paul E. Smith
        Knoxville, TN

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
          RE: Regional breakfasts Fri, 03/28/08 4:27 PM (permalink)
          LOL,WJ!!

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
            RE: Regional breakfasts Fri, 03/28/08 4:35 PM (permalink)
            MiamiDon - As you head into Coral Gables and on same side of the street as the former Latin American Cafeteria (what a incredible business they use to have in the 80's - I think at one time it was an Arby's), was another small Cuban place that makes great Cuban Sandwiches, really breakfasts, had that coffee, cane sugar drink, etc. I doubt that one is gone, too. I use to love watching them get the Cuban sandwiches ready for the lunch rush. they'd cook off roast porks, hams, etc.

Incidently, have you ever been to the Greek Restaurant on Coral Way...Not bad. It is white building with blue signage..I forget the name. Maybe Mykinos? Not sure.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4468
              RE: Regional breakfasts Fri, 03/28/08 4:36 PM (permalink)
              In N.E. Pa. you go to Tony's Restaurant in Kingston, Pa. Order the "Fat Bastard Breakfast".

Meatballs, sausage, onions, sweet and hot peppers and cheese omelet with a spoon of sauce over the top and a sprinkle of pecorino. It comes with a side of sausage with cheese, onions, peppers and sauce on top. And of course, Italian toast.

You can also order the Calabrese potatoes. The best home fries you ever tasted with onions and peppers.

Now don't make any funny faces until you tried it. This breakfast is addicting.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                RE: Regional breakfasts Fri, 03/28/08 4:44 PM (permalink)

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4468
                  RE: Regional breakfasts Fri, 03/28/08 5:07 PM (permalink)
                  Now Now.

How about the "Eggs Benedict Italiano".

Two slices of sicilian toast with Capacola, cheese, eggs, onions, sweet and hot peppers and sauce on top.

I like the Pizza Fries with this. Home fries with onions, sweet and hot peppers then topped with cheese and sauce.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                    RE: Regional breakfasts Sat, 03/29/08 1:19 AM (permalink)
                    WJ, classic, man. Just classic.

Here, Ted is modeling the ever popular "Mullet" style of hair care

On display across the nation and it goes by many names such as:

Camaro Crash Helmet
                    Canadian Passport
                    Shorty Longback
                    and, my personal favorite,
                    "Business in front, party in the back, dude!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

bb

quote:
                    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
                    Originally posted by NYNM

Just read that a favorite breakfast in Southern Florida for local "Crackers" is mullet & grits..

??

GenB

• Total Posts: 18
                      RE: Regional breakfasts Sat, 03/29/08 5:32 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Davydd

I read somewhere that the "caramel roll" is somewhat unique to Minnesota.

Tobies in Hinckley, MN halfway between the Twin Cities and Duluth plays up the caramel roll but I don't think they are unique to Minnesota. Of course you knew I would have a picture.

Looks like Heaven on a plate. My grandmother in western Wisconsin used to make identical "pecan rolls".
                      Where I grew up in Virginia, link sausage or country ham, served with hot biscuits, were mandatory for breakfast.
                      In south-central Pennsylvania, nothing beats scrapple. Don't ask what's in it--just enjoy it.

buffetbuster

RE: Regional breakfasts Sat, 03/29/08 5:40 PM (permalink)
                        WanderingJew-
                        Good stuff! Just which Roadfooder is that in the photo?

Unfortunately, mullets are all but the official hairstyle of the men here in Pittsburgh. It is like the 80's never left!

buffetbuster

RE: Regional breakfasts Sat, 03/29/08 5:45 PM (permalink)
                          Oh, as for regional breakfasts, how about slingers in St. Louis?

BhamBabe

• Total Posts: 879
                            RE: Regional breakfasts Sat, 03/29/08 7:08 PM (permalink)
                            Seeing as how I'm still an Alabama girl, no matter where I lay my head, I prefer salmon patties, creamed corn, bicuits and sorghum syrup with butter. I do however make a meal out of tomato gravy and biscuits when I'm missing home badly.

Tomato gravy is nothing more than reg ol milk gravy with stewed tomatoes in it. Y'all are making it difficult and the beauty of it is, it's not Oil (pref bacon grease), flour, milk, chopped up stewed tomatoes. You can add a little bit of the juice but don't go whole hog, it will thin the gravy too much. Add a lot of pepper and a bit of salt.

Came back to add, you can use store bought canned stewed tomatoes if you don't have homemade.

iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
                              RE: Regional breakfasts Sat, 03/29/08 7:17 PM (permalink)
                              Bhambabe,you go girl ! As one Alabama girl to another, you know what's good !

BhamBabe

• Total Posts: 879
                                RE: Regional breakfasts Sat, 03/29/08 10:39 PM (permalink)
                                Okay iqdiva, why do we eat salmon patties for breakfast? Seems to be such a regional thing but I can't figure it out.

I know my mamaw made them a bunch because they were cheap and she had a ton of folks to feed, plus they were easy to put in a lunch pail with the extra biscuits, but why salmon? Tuna or other fish surely don't sound so good for breakfast.

Gonna go research that lol

iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
                                  RE: Regional breakfasts Sat, 03/29/08 10:47 PM (permalink)
                                  I'll tell you why Miss BhamBabe.....'Cause they're so goooood darling ! Mama made patties out of canned mackeral and home-canned mullet that Daddy caught in Appalachicola,as well .....She even made a tomato gravy with the drippings in the pan from the cooking of the patties...I sure miss Mama and Daddy !

JT1

• Total Posts: 227
                                    RE: Regional breakfasts Sun, 03/30/08 8:46 AM (permalink)
                                    Yeah, that is a "hair-don't" and I used to have one!!

In Central Maine, we used to get finnish coffee bread, made and sold by the Finnish farmers. Man, that was good!! Toasted with butter. Yow.

MiamiDon

RE: Regional breakfasts Sun, 03/30/08 9:30 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Baah Ben

MiamiDon - As you head into Coral Gables and on same side of the street as the former Latin American Cafeteria (what a incredible business they use to have in the 80's - I think at one time it was an Arby's), was another small Cuban place that makes great Cuban Sandwiches, really breakfasts, had that coffee, cane sugar drink, etc. I doubt that one is gone, too. I use to love watching them get the Cuban sandwiches ready for the lunch rush. they'd cook off roast porks, hams, etc.

Incidently, have you ever been to the Greek Restaurant on Coral Way...Not bad. It is white building with blue signage..I forget the name. Maybe Mykinos? Not sure.

Yes, I have been there, though not recently. It is Mykonos, btw. That used to be sort of a Greek neighborhood, back in the day, and there are/were two or three Greek restaurants in the area.

I'm not sure if I remember the other Cuban cafeteria/sandwich shop. The sugar cane juice beverage is guarapo.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                        RE: Regional breakfasts Mon, 03/31/08 12:41 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by MellowRoast
                                        I'm not familiar with livermush. Guess I'll have to search for it. Have I missed out on something good?

MellowRoast,
                                        It depends on whether or not you like visceral things to eat. It's similar to scrapple and goetta, but more livery. It's made from pork liver and corn meal.
                                        Seriously, I love the stuff, and sometimes eat it right off the loaf (it's already been cooked when you buy it). My favorite way, though, is cut thick and maybe browned just a tad, then put on plain old white bread (locally I would use Luna Bakery's sourdough) with a smear of mayo (Miracle Whip or other "salad-dressingy" products are too sweet and overwhelm (yea, drown out) the livery flavor. It doesn't need such furniture as lettuce or tomato, although Hillbilly and I will probably differ on this one.
                                        If you're sincerely amused enough to try it, let me recommend going to Neese Sausage's website: they're out of Greensboro, North Carolina. They may be able to cold-freight you some liver pudding, liver mush, and/or souse overnight. They also make an extra-sage sausage that sounds like it would be mighty tasty.
                                        Oh -- I almost forgot -- the most familiar way to eat livermush is for breakfast, skillet-browned, with eggs.
                                        Mushlessly, Ort. Carlton in Chillydrizzly Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Regional breakfasts Mon, 03/31/08 12:45 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by NYNM
                                          Just read that a favorite breakfast in Southern Florida for local "Crackers" is mullet & grits..

NYNM,
                                          Absolutely positively! Cousin Jack's wife Mae Frank never served me that, but she did know how to put together a mullet feast on short notice... as well as a plethora of other goodies, such as swamp cabbage and homegrown rice with tomato gravy.
                                          Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Too Cool For Spring Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.

RE: Regional breakfasts Mon, 03/31/08 12:50 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by joerogo
                                            In N.E. Pa. you go to Tony's Restaurant in Kingston, Pa. Order the "Fat Bastard Breakfast".
                                            Now don't make any funny faces until you tried it. This breakfast is addicting.

Joerogo,
                                            And gloriously fattening. Whee-dogies! You making me hongry!!
                                            Wishing I Could Be There And Wash It All Down With A Cold Stegmaier, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia (where Stegmaier used to be sold!).

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                                              RE: Regional breakfasts Tue, 04/1/08 1:50 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              I've seen that on the east coast. They call it a sticky bun. In Idaho, a sticky bun is like Cinnabon serves, with the cream cheese frosting and the cinnamon and it's rolled up.

dbear

• Total Posts: 131
                                                RE: Regional breakfasts Tue, 04/1/08 2:08 PM (permalink)

Breakfast taco's at La Reyna on S. First in Austin. This is a memory. I was in Austin last fall and it appears La Reyna has moved into the pleasant memories category. My fave was always eggs and cicharon (sp?)(like pork rinds except fresh). In the day, huevos rancheros tacos were $.50; we used to order 4 or 5 with sweet tea for breakfast.

db

rjb

• Total Posts: 451
                                                  RE: Regional breakfasts Tue, 04/1/08 2:27 PM (permalink)
                                                  Broiled kippers, finnan haddie and kedgeree in England and Scotland. Also often found in places like the Union League Club.

All are fish dishes, BTW

mikez629

• Total Posts: 307
                                                    RE: Regional breakfasts Tue, 04/1/08 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                                    Cheesesteak egg and cheese.Yes a cheesteak with eggs mixed in.(Peppers,Onions)-its sooo good!--Oh and I get in Philly.

jimsock9

• Total Posts: 285
                                                      • Location: cloud lake, FL
                                                      RE: Regional breakfasts Tue, 04/1/08 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by rjb

Broiled kippers, finnan haddie and kedgeree in England and Scotland. Also often found in places like the Union League Club.

All are fish dishes, BTW

Oh aye! And the bloody good stench the kippers filled the house with was something to behold and cherish for the rest of yer bleedin' life, lads!

ghcornwell

• Total Posts: 48
                                                        • Location: Washington, DC
                                                        RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 04/2/08 1:21 PM (permalink)
                                                        i've been getting a lot of fried whiting and eggs, or grilled bluefish and eggs around the VA/DC/MD area lately. not sure if its regionally specific, but it hits the spot.

also big around the chesapeake is eggs benedict with crab cakes instead of the ham/canadian bacon.

magcentric

• Total Posts: 80
                                                          • Location: new york, NY
                                                          RE: Regional breakfasts Wed, 04/2/08 1:29 PM (permalink)
                                                          In South Central Wisconsin: Cinnamon rolls the size of a kitten are very common.

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                                                            • Location: Was MA, now UK
                                                            RE: Regional breakfasts Thu, 04/3/08 10:04 PM (permalink)
                                                            Two best regional breakfasts I ever had:

1. A sort of heuvos rancheros on fry bread in South Dakota. Fantastic. Best breakfast of my life.

2. A breakfast pretzel outside Philly - egg, cheese & bacon wrapped and baked in a hunk of pretzel at an Amish stand in a (permanent) farmer's market. Delicious!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 101

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com