Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2007/07/21 16:43:32 (permalink)

Regional chicken?

On another topic, Ashphalt wrote:

American good is so regional and seasonal it would be hard to narrow down one menu. Representional of my area would probably include fried seafood, lobster, red sauce Italian, pizza, and corned beef and cabbage. Even fried chicken, which is very American, is also very regional.

So do you agree? How does freid chicken vary regionally?

37 Replies Related Threads

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6383
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/23 15:46:15 (permalink)
    NYNM

There around Nashville, TN you will find "HOT" chicken (Prince's) that has been marinaded in some lip numbing marinade before frying.

KY - The Colonel built an empire around it. Special seasoning and pressure fried

MO - Strouds pan fries the chicken in a big cast iron skillet

MS - Bathes their chicken in buttermilk then dredges and pan fries or deep fries

Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/23 17:27:26 (permalink)
    Central NY can point to the cornell recipe chicken with pride....'course thats not fried...it'd help if I read a little more carefully.
    iqdiva
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/23 19:00:35 (permalink)
    Southeast Alabama...Pan fried chicken and milk gravy !
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5069
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/23 19:04:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by iqdiva

Southeast Alabama...Pan fried chicken and milk gravy !

I'll have a large order of that please.
    iqdiva
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/23 19:06:53 (permalink)
    Coming up twinwillow !
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/23 19:19:49 (permalink)
    The Maryland contingent, which I am a part of, continues to debate this Maryland fried chicken issue. So far we agree it is chicken and it is fried. We have not been able to come to agreement on the issue of egg batter, seasoning and whether a white gravy is a necessary component or optional feature.

LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/23 19:46:29 (permalink)
    My house is the best fried chicken in this neck of the woods, our area is not noted for it!!

LL
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 730
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/23 22:38:42 (permalink)
    Henderson, Kentucky, located in the state's northwest corner below Evansville, Indiana, has a specialized place in the fried chicken universe. The Bon Ton Mini Mart and Mr. D's serve a sort of regional fried chicken not found elesewhere that I'm aware of. They prepare their version of fried chicken by immersing it in a sort of salty, brine solution for 24 hours and then cooking it fresh when it's ordered. Each is a bit different; both should be tried. Both restaurants are reviewed on this site.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/24 01:56:31 (permalink)
    The only place I know of around here that actually advertises fried chicken is White Fence Farms down Denver way. It's sad to say that it's not considered a very viable commodity.

The Wayside Dinner Theatre in Berthoud, CO, used to, but now they're just a restaurant, and I don't think it's as good as it used to be.

I wonder why fried chicken isn't important around here? Neither are hotdogs.
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/24 05:57:16 (permalink)
    South Jersey has a wonderful dish called Chicken Murphy- chicken , onions , peppers, I think sausuage and I cannot rememeber what else
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/24 08:29:59 (permalink)
    I guess this is regional? Mamaw Smith usually fries chicken on Sunday for after church. She fries is for a short while with the usual flour, pepper and salt and then she slow bakes it at a very low temp so that it will be hot and tender after church. She uses the crumbs for gravy to go with the chicken and her home made yeast rolls, cole slaw and mashed potatoes with sour cream and butter.

I always look forward to it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    bbires
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/24 09:08:46 (permalink)
    Doesn't the Bon Ton use a hot pepper sauce-flavored buttermilk for their "soak?"
    bbires
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/24 09:10:09 (permalink)
    I don't know if Harold The Chicken King still has his operations in Chicago, but his was very simply fried and then drowned in hot sauce--it was quite assertive!
    Farfromhome
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/24 09:32:20 (permalink)
    Southeast Texas - Also soaked in buttermilk, then dredged in flour with salt, pepper and garlic powder and fried in a shallow cast iron skillet. Usually on a Sunday also. And then served with mashed potatoes, cream gravy, fresh green beans cooked with ham or bacon and buttermilk biscuits.
    JBarry713
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/24 09:51:38 (permalink)
    I don't see how this is regional at all, most people just mention how one single person or restaurant fries their chicken. To be regional, many places need to listed in the same geographic region as frying their chicken in a similiar way. Sounds like fried chicken is just cooked slightly differently in many locales - not regions (for example, multiple places are listed above that are geographically disconnected that pan fry chicken with buttermilk or milk gravy). Can anyone offer a generalization as to fried chicken cooking methods across different regions of the US.
    iqdiva
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/24 10:08:22 (permalink)
    Speaking of the South,chicken is trditionally shallow fried in a heavy cast iron frying pan.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/24 13:02:49 (permalink)
    In Santa Fe, most of the fried or broiled chicken is dusted with red chile (like everything else these...)
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/25 05:40:12 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    My mom made her fried chicken pretty much the way Sundancer's Mawmaw Smith makes hers.
    But the best homemade fried chicken I've every had was made by my ex-father-in-law, and
    he kept the ingredients a secret, but I do know he would crumble up some kind of cheddar
    cheese crackers into fine bits. That cheddar cheese flavour mingled so well with the chicken.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/25 08:06:11 (permalink)

Rotisserie chicken spinning over a flame is popular in California. There may be garlic, rosemary and other herbs added too.

In New Orleans, it was MacKenzie's which had a bunch of fryers working full blast with choices of up to 100 pieces listed on the menu on the wall. I don't know if they made it through the flood and I have a bad feeling it didn't.

I don't know of any regional styles for Connecticut, but pot pie seems to be one that I have seen lately. Banquet seems popualr....

mark
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/25 08:44:47 (permalink)
    In my area of PA, fried chicken takes a back seat to baked chicken halves or pieces. You'll find fried chicken on the menu in diners with big menus but it's frozen, not freshly baked like the 'daily special' would be.

Churches, fire companies and civic organizations also have baked or outdoors barbecued (with a vinegar based 'wash') chicken dinners as fund raisers but I've never seen one where they offer fried chicken. About the only place consistently offering fried chicken around here are the grocery stores that have hot foods departments.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/25 09:08:00 (permalink)
    My main reason for saying fried chicken is "regional" is that it is not a standard and good fried chicken is uncommon in many parts of the country, particularly in the North. With some exceptions, it just isn't part of the culture and folks here know about as much about good fried chicken as they do about barbecue or tamales.

Here in New England, KFC is the standard by which most people measure fried chicken, and Weaver's frozen is considered by many an acceptable substitute. There are a number of old places that are famous for roast chicken, but people have rarely had what would be considered proper fried chicken in the South. You might find a version at a nicer specialty restaurant (i.e. Jasper White's Summer Shack or Bob's Bistro), but it's not typically a down-home or Roadfood dish you'd order at a family restaurant or diner.

My point in the original post was that if I were entertaining foreign guests and wanted to give them a real American meal, it wouldn't be fried chicken if I were in much of the Northern tier of the country.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15245
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/25 09:50:57 (permalink)

Just a couple of thoughts about Chicken in the USA. I think the absence of a type of preparation is more noticeable than it's presence. Fried Chicken (pan-fried) is strong in the South and Mid-West, but almost unseen in New England.

Gravy-on or Gravy-off seems to be a 'local' specialization. Gravy flavor and seasoning has sub-divided like bottled water brands. Everyone seems to claim the 'best' way to gravy a bird.

Rotisserie use has gone Nationwide at many markets and Costco-type stores. It's original are fading as the technique becomes acceptable across the country.

Chicken-in-the-pot or Chicken and Dumplings (of various types) is not common in the Northeast, yet boiled dinners of other critters (Corned beef and pork/ham) are. When does Chicken Noodle Soup become Chicken and Dumplings?? Veggies in the mix or no? Do regions have specialization in Dumpling size and recipe?

The split halves grilled over an open fire are called a lot of things, and some locations seem to have a claim as being the original souce of the 'style', but even with local 'tweaks' they have become a 'universal' item across the country. While 'Cornell Chicken' is great, we find grilled half-chickens at a whole bunch of fairs and festivals here in Hoosierland that seem to be very similar. Many places call that BBQ Chicken ! I will not get into the argument about 'Low and Slow' etc. I just acknowledge that there are a lot of ways to "pluck a bird", but the end result is still "Chicken" !
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 730
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/25 10:11:53 (permalink)
    Bbires asks, "Doesn't the Bon Ton [Mini Mart] use a hot pepper sauce-flavored buttermilk for their "soak?"

No, the solution they use to marinate their chicken in is clear as water, and they don't use any sauce. Like I said, it's sort of a brine solution with cayenne and some other spices thrown in that gives it its unusual flavor. I don't know what the recipe is; they won't tell anyone.
    Grillmeister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/25 10:12:12 (permalink)

In Texas...lose the chicken, substitute beef and treat your guests to CHICKEN fried steak!
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/25 10:12:53 (permalink)
    Despite being a New Englander, I've never forgotten the taste of the cast iron skillet-fried chicken I ate when invited to a friends house for dinner...I was maybe 12 years old. The parents were well-traveled and had learned to make this when living in the South. The next best chicken was the fried chicken offered by the cafeteria chain Morrisons...outstanding! Hot 'n juicy. KFC? Popeyes? IMO, all pale imitations of the real stuff. Someday, I need to try Strouds...that sounds like my kind of chicken!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/25 11:25:51 (permalink)
    NYC?
    When I think of fried chicken I think of Harlem or other "soulfood" places. Of course, these are Suthin' transplants.

Other (ie-non fried), I think ethnic (Little Italy, most likely, or even Chinatown, maybe Kosher.) I guess the li'l bird is universal!
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/25 18:41:29 (permalink)
    No doubt there are regional differences. In Maryland you will see chicken dipped in egg or buttermilk, but it will be dredged in flour. You would not see it dredged in cornmeal like you would in other parts of the county.
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/26 15:18:51 (permalink)
    Cornell fried chicken is great. I have had Strouds when I lived in Kansas many times and it was always above average, but I got to say my wife's IOWA/Alabama fried chicken is way over the top. She won't give even me the recipe, but she uses kosher fresh chicken, an old black cast iron frying pan, king arthur flour and various herbs and spices, and I think she uses olive oil not crisco or sunflower etc.

It is so moist but also done with fantastic herby flavors intermingling with the chicken. Also the pan gravy she makes in the same frying pan without the oil...great over mashed or boiled potatoes.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Regional chicken? 2007/07/26 15:40:21 (permalink)
    It seems like chicken wings (buffalo and other styles) are been becoming readily available in almost all areas of the U.S.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1