Regional food north/south; east/west

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2013/09/16 18:36:11 (permalink)

Regional food north/south; east/west

Not sure this Q belongs here, but it is the closest to Regional foods. 

My Q is: what states have more than one food tradition in different regions (usually North/SOuth). For example, cooking and local specialties are really different in upstate NY and NYC. Virginia also has variations, from crab cakes on the shore to BBQ more inland and then Shenandoah Valley. PA, too, with Philadelphia on one end, Pittsburg on the other (EAst/West). On the other hand, in New Mexico (which is much larger than NY, VA or PA) the food is fairly consistent throughout the state. (Meaning that the size of the state isn't that important).

What other states have very different foods in different locales?

19 Replies Related Threads

Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/17 11:15:52 (permalink)
    North Carolina is known for it's two styles of barbecue.

Eastern Carolina barbecue is slow cooked "whole hog", minced with a vinegar-based sauce.

Western Carolina (Lexington -style) usually cooks pork shoulder (as opposed to the whole hog) and the sauce, while still vinegar-based, is a bit more red than the eastern style.

NOTE: There are a LOT of folks on this site that are knowlegable about Carolina barbecue and can provide more details and accurate info about the two styles of Carolina barbecue.....I just know that both styles are delicious!.........

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10392
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 08:41:44 (permalink)
    This is a good topic that should have received plenty of responses.....

Well, you sure aren't going to find such St. Louis specialties as gooey butter cake, slingers and St. Paul sandwiches in Kansas City.  And burnt ends are much harder to find in St. Louis. 
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1117
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 08:53:14 (permalink)
    A very thought provoking question. In the southwest region Mexican dishes seem to vary from state to state.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7896
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 09:07:48 (permalink)
    Even here in Rhode Island, the smallest state in the Union. you will find Jonnycakes confined to the West Bay and East Bay Region in the southern part of the state. Meat Pies are almost non existent outside of Northern Rhode Island and Dynamite Sandwiches just don't exist outside of Woonsocket in Northern Rhode Island
    pineyhill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 10:51:55 (permalink)
    Pastie, seems to be an Upper Peninsula(MI) thing, though it seems to have some origins in Cornwall, England.

Can't forget fried cheese curds as mostly a Wisconsin thing.
    post edited by pineyhill - 2013/09/24 10:54:04
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5143
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 11:55:26 (permalink)
    Pasties are also quite popular in southwest Wisconsin.  In the middle of the 19th century a lot of the lead miners in the region were Cornish immigrants and they brought the pasty over with them.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 13:25:25 (permalink)
    Just using BB's favorite food---P I E , one can almost draw a map with Pie Specialties matching State or Regional borders. 

Huckleberry seems to focus on Idaho, while MarionBerry is an Oregon favorite.  The Chess or Sugar-creme pies seem to be readily available in the Mid-Atlantic/MidWest where There are (or have been) Amish or Mennonite population centers.

Today when one thinks of Banana Cream Pie or Pudding, we tend to look to the South...Same for Sweet Potato Pie...but change only the main ingredient (sweet potato) to Squash or Pumpkin and we return to the New England origins.

The Fried Pies of OK and Arkansas are another regional offshoot...more a question of 'style' rather than 'flavor'.
    Molasses as a flavoring in Pie seems more common in the NE region.  I love Indian Pudding..the Cornmeal/molasses"Pilgrim' food. We make a Squash pie (minus the crust) recipe that comes close to the old-cornmeal in both flavor and consistency.

It is kinda fun to smple the different versions of a simple item like PIE and trace it's roots to the geographic area of it's creation.

One doesn't see much fresh BOYSENBERRY Pie outside of SoCal. Although the Berry farms are disappearing rapidly...so the sources may migrate to Oregon faster than our tracing can follow them.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 13:52:16 (permalink)
    mayor al

Just using BB's favorite food---P I E , one can almost draw a map with Pie Specialties matching State or Regional borders. 

Huckleberry seems to focus on Idaho, while MarionBerry is an Oregon favorite.  The Chess or Sugar-creme pies seem to be readily available in the Mid-Atlantic/MidWest where There are (or have been) Amish or Mennonite population centers.

Today when one thinks of Banana Cream Pie or Pudding, we tend to look to the South...Same for Sweet Potato Pie...but change only the main ingredient (sweet potato) to Squash or Pumpkin and we return to the New England origins.

The Fried Pies of OK and Arkansas are another regional offshoot...more a question of 'style' rather than 'flavor'.
    Molasses as a flavoring in Pie seems more common in the NE region.  I love Indian Pudding..the Cornmeal/molasses"Pilgrim' food. We make a Squash pie (minus the crust) recipe that comes close to the old-cornmeal in both flavor and consistency.

It is kinda fun to smple the different versions of a simple item like PIE and trace it's roots to the geographic area of it's creation.

One doesn't see much fresh BOYSENBERRY Pie outside of SoCal. Although the Berry farms are disappearing rapidly...so the sources may migrate to Oregon faster than our tracing can follow them.

Can't forget Lutefisk Pie in Minnesota !

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18632
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 14:15:01 (permalink)
    Next to banana cream pie and pumpkin pie, lutefisk pie is my favorite. For some reason the local Kroger stopped carrying the Mrs. Smith's and Sara Lee lutefisk pies in the frozen section.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 15:02:17 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Next to banana cream pie and pumpkin pie, lutefisk pie is my favorite. For some reason the local Kroger stopped carrying the Mrs. Smith's and Sara Lee lutefisk pies in the frozen section.

I heard that these two folks have it readily available

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18632
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 15:31:56 (permalink)
    I called Ingebretsen's, but they don't ship until colder months "because of the possibility of spoilage."
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 16:28:03 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Even here in Rhode Island, the smallest state in the Union. you will find Jonnycakes confined to the West Bay and East Bay Region in the southern part of the state. Meat Pies are almost non existent outside of Northern Rhode Island and Dynamite Sandwiches just don't exist outside of Woonsocket in Northern Rhode Island
    Re: Rhode Island regional foods...I've never had "South County Chowder" anywhere but in Rhode Island. As you well know,  delicious clear broth loaded with chunks of clams.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 18:00:17 (permalink)
    Pancho

wanderingjew

Re: Rhode Island regional foods...I've never had "South County Chowder" anywhere but in Rhode Island. As you well know,  delicious clear broth loaded with chunks of clams.

I've seen it southeastern MA (Fall River and New Bedford) as well as along  the Southeastern CT shore line  (I just had a fabulous rendition at Ford's Lobster in Noank) but you're correct that "South County" is the hub of this delicious soup of marine creatures in a bowl.
    3 Olives
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 18:32:35 (permalink)
    Davebassman

North Carolina is known for it's two styles of barbecue.

Eastern Carolina barbecue is slow cooked "whole hog", minced with a vinegar-based sauce.

Western Carolina (Lexington -style) usually cooks pork shoulder (as opposed to the whole hog) and the sauce, while still vinegar-based, is a bit more red than the eastern style.

NOTE: There are a LOT of folks on this site that are knowlegable about Carolina barbecue and can provide more details and accurate info about the two styles of Carolina barbecue.....I just know that both styles are delicious!.........

I think you are pretty accurate in a general description. The big thing is October begins BBQ season for churchs, volunteer fire departments, schools, and other nonprofits cooking barbecue as a fundraiser. There's a lot of good barbecue out there!
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 19:31:54 (permalink)
    Here in northwestern Kentucky the specialty is barbecued mutton, which is mainly served in three counties.  Try finding that anywhere else.

And in my county (Henderson) there are a couple of places that serve fried chicken that is immersed in a sort of brine solution for 24 hours before serving, giving it a salty flavor that penetrates to the bone.  I don't know if this sort of preparation is replicated elsewhere or not.  I've not heard of it, but maybe others can correct me on this.

post edited by Louis - 2013/09/24 19:38:36
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/24 20:04:16 (permalink)
    Louis

Here in northwestern Kentucky the specialty is barbecued mutton, which is mainly served in three counties.  Try finding that anywhere else.

And in my county (Henderson) there are a couple of places that serve fried chicken that is immersed in a sort of brine solution for 24 hours before serving, giving it a salty flavor that penetrates to the bone.  I don't know if this sort of preparation is replicated elsewhere or not.  I've not heard of it, but maybe others can correct me on this.

Yep...been to the Moonlite in Owensboro many times for the mutton. Also the hometown of the motorcycle racing Hayden brothers. Speaking of that chicken there is a variety called "Cornell Chicken" in NY state that sounds similar to your description.
    http://americanfood.about...ell_Chicken_Recipe.htm
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8477
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/25 09:17:52 (permalink)
    Every restaurant, corner store and grocery store here in Milwaukee have a Friday night fish fry. It is a ritual. While which fish is fried, its usually cod, lake perch or walleye. It used to be haddock, as well, but that is few and far between-we miss that!
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/25 11:09:33 (permalink)
    ann peeples

Every restaurant, corner store and grocery store here in Milwaukee have a Friday night fish fry. It is a ritual. While which fish is fried, its usually cod, lake perch or walleye. It used to be haddock, as well, but that is few and far between-we miss that!
    Very true and we frequent them all the time. Funny story...while out in Montana with my daughter last year we drove by a little tavern/restaurant with a billboard out front. It read on the top line....WI FI....the next line down said this...Fish Fry. My daughter pipes up and says, "Dad, they are having a Wisconsin Fish Fry!"

post edited by Pancho - 2013/09/25 11:11:26
    steveindurham3
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:Regional food north/south; east/west 2013/09/25 14:00:04 (permalink)
    Here are some that I thought of:
    Alamance County, NC cheese dogs (Burlington, NC)
    Cheese Dogs (no meat but a block of cheese instead of the meat) - served with mustard, chili and onions (slaw optional)

West Virginia - pepperoni rolls

South Carolina - BBQ Hash (Pig Parts - usually pig organs served on rice).

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1