Hot!Regional foods I've never had...

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 162
2013/09/07 09:53:21 (permalink)

Regional foods I've never had...

Ever since I started browsing Roadfood, I've learned about a ton of American dishes that I've never tried.  They're specific to a region of the country, or a particular state, or even a particular city.  Here's a partial list of my inexperience:

Brunswick stew (general South)
Horseshoe sandwich (Springfield, IL)
Chow mein sandwich (Fall River, MA)
Muffuletta (New Orleans, LA)
Pimento cheese sandwich (general South)
Italian hot dog (NJ)
Hot Brown (Louisville, KY)
Salt potatoes (Syracuse, NY)
Skyline chili (Cincinnati, OH)
Chicken Vesuvio (Chicago, IL)
Pepperoni roll (WV)
Garbage plate (Rochester, NY)
Green chile cheeseburger (general Southwest)
Detroit-style pizza
Seattle-style hot dog
Red-eye gravy (general South)
Beef on weck (western NY)
Onion burger (OK)
Italian sandwich (ME)

Please speak to these if you can, and by all means add more! 

One thing I love is how the dishes that came from Italian immigrants in various parts of the country are so different.  Connecticut has a big Italian tradition, but they've never heard of a Chicago "Italian beef" here and I'm sure many of them aren't familiar with New Jersey's "Italian hot dog" either (which apparently includes potatoes).

77 Replies Related Threads

FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/07 10:02:18 (permalink)
    I've had the Brunswick Stew(even made it myself sans Okra), the Chow Mein Sandwich, the Muffuletta, and the Beef on a Weck.  All were good, although the Chow Mein Sandwich may be an "acquired" taste.

I once made Salt Potatoes according to a recipe I found..wasn't particularly impressd
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4580
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/07 10:30:25 (permalink)
    What's a Maine Italian Sandwich, Ketteract?
    I grew up with red eye gravy in KC, but it isn't  restaurant fare, just home, for the most part.
    I don't think the Oklahoma onion burgers are much different than the Kansas onion burgers I've always enjoyed-maybe they have a better PR team.
    post edited by 1bbqboy - 2013/09/07 10:32:39
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/07 12:48:15 (permalink)
    The Maine Italian sandwich appears to be this:

http://www.fromaway.com/s...riginal-italian-amatos

And it seems I live just a little too far south in New England to have super-easy access to the definitive place for it.  But of course everything up here is small and scrunched together so it's not like it would be that big of a drive.  I mean, heck, if I'm considering driving six hours to Rochester for a garbage plate...
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1153
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/07 13:38:31 (permalink)
    The muffuletta was supposedly created by the Central Grocery for the Italian fruit and vegetable vendors in the French Market.  Like the Earl of Sandwich story, it served as a meal-between-bread that was portable, and could be easily eaten while still attending to their wares.  It starts with a marinated olive salad, made with sliced green and black olives, chopped celery, cauliflower, and carrot, lots of garlic, oregano, olive oil and vinegar.

There is a loaf made for this, it's a large, seeded bun (about 10" in diameter) cut in half horizontally, some of the inner dough pulled out a little to form a pocket for adding olive salad, and slices of mortadella, salami, ham, and provolone (there are other meat combinations but these are the most traditional).  It's sold whole or in half, and depending if you want to share, when you cut it, you end up with a thick, wedged shaped sandwich. 

Purists will tell you the muffuletta should always be served at room temperature and never heated, but I am a little partial to the Napoleon Houses' muf where their's are toasted, and the cheese melts a little.

curds - someone tell me about them
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/07 15:13:06 (permalink)
    Ketteract

I will add to your list you can tell me if you have had these wonderful dishes:

St Paul Sandwich - St Louis
    Hot Fish - Nashville
    Hot Chicken - Nashville
    Slugburger - NMS, WTN, NWAL
    Grouper Cheeks - Fl Panhandle
    Smoked Mullet - FL Panhandle

ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/07 15:15:20 (permalink)
    BelleReve

curds - someone tell me about them
    You want them to squeak when you bite them and they should be slightly salty.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/07 19:11:04 (permalink)
    Ditto, Brad. I just bought some from a cheese factory-they were still warm!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10073
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/08 02:23:54 (permalink)
    Sonoran Hot Dogs - AZ
    Indian Fry Bread - AZ/NM
    Fish Tacos - SoCal
    Lebanon Bologna - Eastern PA
    Scrapple - Eastern PA
    Cheesesteaks - Philly
    Soft Pretzels - Philly
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1620
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/08 07:45:39 (permalink)
    Minorcan Chowder - St. Augustine, FL
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 08:38:32 (permalink)
    CajunKing

Ketteract

I will add to your list you can tell me if you have had these wonderful dishes:

St Paul Sandwich - St Louis
    Hot Fish - Nashville
    Hot Chicken - Nashville
    Slugburger - NMS, WTN, NWAL
    Grouper Cheeks - Fl Panhandle
    Smoked Mullet - FL Panhandle

All new to me!  That St. Paul Sandwich sounds wild. 

Foodbme

Sonoran Hot Dogs - AZ
    Indian Fry Bread - AZ/NM
    Fish Tacos - SoCal
    Lebanon Bologna - Eastern PA
    Scrapple - Eastern PA
    Cheesesteaks - Philly
    Soft Pretzels - Philly

I'd heard of all the PA items listed here, but I've only ever had the cheesesteaks and soft pretzels, and neither of those in its native location.  (The cheesesteaks, I'm ashamed to say, were from a place called "Philly Time" in Kansas City - not bad but, as you can imagine, a far cry from what they're truly meant to be.)
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10074
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 09:19:44 (permalink)
    There are still plenty of regional foods that I haven't had the opportunity to try, yet.  Like ployes in Maine, boiled dinners in New England, ya-ka-mein and maque choux in Louisiana, jibarito in Chicago, downstate chowder in Illinois, chicken booyah in Wisconsin, cashew chicken around Springfield, MO and cudighi in the UP.  No doubt there are many more. 

It is doubtful I will ever try brain sandwiches in St. Louis and chitlins in the South.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1838
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 09:20:48 (permalink)
    Kneffla(knoefla) soup - ND and upper MN.  A german/scandinavian (I've seen both communities claim it) dumpling and chicken soup.  Rich, thick, very "comfort food".  Typically makes it's appearance come fall and winter in small town cafes in the very upper mid-west.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 09:22:14 (permalink)
    For an outstanding source on this topic, check out this thread.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7666
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 09:58:01 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

For an outstanding source on this topic, check out this thread.

Thanks for bringing this up.
    It's now time to do some serious updating and adding!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 10:10:55 (permalink)
    Ketteract-
    Thank you for starting this thread!   What is a Seattle-style hot dog?  I have never heard of this before.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1838
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 10:23:19 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Ketteract-
    Thank you for starting this thread!   What is a Seattle-style hot dog?  I have never heard of this before.

Seattle style refers to topping the dog with cream cheese.  Something Biker Jim here on the forum popularized in his neck of the woods.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 10:31:45 (permalink)
    Ah!  Thanks WarToad!  Can't say that sounds appealing, but worth trying once.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 11:44:44 (permalink)
    An offshoot of Brunswick Stew is the "Kentucky Burgoo". Authentic recipes use small game and Mutton as the meat base .

Speaking of Mutton, don't forget the Central and Western Kentucky BBQ choice of adult Sheep (not Spring Lamb) for the main course of BBQ Meat.

St Louis is the home of Toasted Ravioli, and 'Snoot (Snout) Sandwiches.

Carmel Pie (so Central Tennessee),  BBQ Spaghetti (Memphis area),  Crwfish/MudBugs (Cajun Louisiana), Mississippi Delta Tamales, Navajo Fry Bread (and related Tacos) Arizona.  Meat Stuffed KOLACHE from the Czech communities in Texas..

You have opened a door to a lot of memories of samples we have tried over the years...thanks

PS- Always add the two Lobster Rolls from New England...Hot with Butter, Cold with Mayo !!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 13:14:46 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, I'll always take burgoo over Brunswick stew.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 16:01:01 (permalink)
    Beefsteak Banquet is a wonderful somewhat unknown (to the outside world) tradition & highly-spirited celebration for New Jersey...

http://www.nytimes.com/20...ml?pagewanted=all&_r=0
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/09/09 16:04:40
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 16:17:26 (permalink)
    Now there's a tradition I could enjoy! And here I thought the only thing in New Jersey was the Garden State parkway.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 16:53:08 (permalink)
    That's more a description of serving style or 'ambience', rather than a local menu item.... like the Luau, or Tailgate picnic, or even the traditional Cafeteria-service we find in Indiana.  The subject for a whole different 'regional presentation' discussion !

PS- I could attend one of those NJ sessions to indulge a bit, if it didn't entail actually going (back) to New Jersey !
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2391
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 17:04:22 (permalink)
    Ketteract, there are too many regional foods I haven't yet tried to list them all here so I'll just weigh in on the ones on your list that I HAVE tried:  

Brunswick stew (general South) 
    Horseshoe sandwich (Springfield, IL) 
    Chow mein sandwich (Fall River, MA) 
    Muffuletta (New Orleans, LA) 
    Pimento cheese sandwich (general South) 
    Italian hot dog (NJ) - I've had this twice, both at Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover, NJ on the Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour organized by Roadfooders Benzee and John Fox.  It's hot dog(s), onions, peppers and potatoes (all fried and the potatoes are thck sliced discs) stuffed into a pillowy, soft "pizza bread".  Think focaccia, but hollowed out somewhat to accommodate the fillings.  Many places make it and almost all have their own recipe and/or style.  I still think about that one at Jimmy Buff's 3 years later...

Hot Brown (Louisville, KY) 
    Salt potatoes (Syracuse, NY) - Small white potatoes, boiled in heavily salted water and served with LOTS of melted butter.  I've usually had them at the Great NY State Fair (most food vendors sell them at at family/firehouse clambakes.  A true taste of summer in CNY!  
    Here are the most recent ones I had after a 10-mile race through Syracuse this past May.  And boy did I need to replenish with lots of salt!

Skyline chili (Cincinnati, OH) 
    Chicken Vesuvio (Chicago, IL) 
    Pepperoni roll (WV) 
    Garbage plate (Rochester, NY) - I've only had it one time, but not at Nick Tahou's where it originated and the name is trademarked.  Other places can serve the same dish but they must call it something else, usually "trash plate", "refuse plate", or dumpster plate".  Tahou's had a booth at the Lilac Festival in Rochester in the early 1990s and while visiting friend in the area we went to the festival and I indulged in one of these plates after hearing a few of my U of R friends speak highly of it.  More than 20 years later I crave another one.  Chose your meat (hamburger, hot dog, sausage, etc...) and they cover it with a meat/chili sauce, home fries, chopped onions, mustard and hot sauce.  A scoop of macaroni salad and a scoop of baked beans on the side of the same plate and a couple slices of bread.  Sorry, no pics of this one.  Fer what ails ya!
    Green chile cheeseburger (general Southwest) -  finally had my first one ever in New Mexico that past July at the Owl Cafe in Albuquerque.  No condiments.  Just bun, meat, chiles, cheese and bun.  Everything I had hoped it would be and I'd love to hit the Green Chile Cheeseburger Trail one day in search of many more!

Detroit-style pizza 
    Seattle-style hot dog 
    Red-eye gravy (general South) 
    Beef on weck (western NY) - a Buffalo area specialty that's rarely found outside of its home origin, I've only ever had one in the cafe at a Wegman's supermarket in Syracuse, NY.  While it certainly doesn't convey the atmosphere of Schwabl's or Charlie the Butcher's, the flavor is quite amazing.  The "weck" refers to the Kummelweck (Kimmelweck?) roll coated in salt & caraway seeds that gives it that unique flavor.  

Onion burger (OK) 
    Italian sandwich (ME) 

Cheers!  -billyboy
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/09 23:52:25 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

Beefsteak Banquet is a wonderful somewhat unknown (to the outside world) tradition & highly-spirited celebration for New Jersey...

http://www.nytimes.com/20...ml?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Damn........I worked and lived right there for a year and never knew about this!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/10 09:53:06 (permalink)
    Billyboy,
      Would you consider the "Hot Ham Sandwich" offered by Eddie's in Sylvan Beach (Onieda Lakeshore) An individual 'Menu Quirk', or a regional specialty for the Central N Y Area?
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/10 10:34:27 (permalink)
    There's a bar/restaurant in my hometown, Herndon, Va. - Jimmy's Old Town Tavern owned by a native of Buffalo. They serve a lot of "Buffalo food". I've been able to try Buffalo wings ( claims to be the Anchor Bar recipe), Beef on weck, Poutine and Salen(sp?) hot dogs. I like it all and now that my son is attending college in upstate NY, I hope to be able to get to Buffalo and try the "real thing".
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2391
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/10 14:20:40 (permalink)
    Mayor Al, "Hot Ham Sandwiches" are definitely a regional specialty of CNY (started at Eddie's as the story goes, so it may have begun there as a menu quirk) however, I think that "BBQ Ham Sandwiches" are more readily found in the area these days.  Both equally delicious.  Heading up to Rome for a long weekend so I'll be partaking in some in just a few days!!!

Davebassman, a belated welcome to Roadfood!!  That sounds awesome though I'd be surprised if you are able to find poutine in the Buffalo (Western NY) area as it is pretty much a Northern NY (Massena, Potsdam, Malone, Plattsburgh) thing since they are so close to Montreal, the birthplace of poutine.  
    I used to work in NJ with a guy who is born and bred NJ all the way.  His family runs a seafood shack on the Jersey Shore in the summer.  He came into work one day and said, "You're from Central NY, right?  What's the big deal with these Chicken Riggies I keep hearing about?"  I said, "How did YOU hear about Chicken Riggies?"  Turns out the guy who owns the bar/restaurant next to my friend's family's place is from Rome, NY and put some CNY specialties on the menu, including Riggies and he kept bending my friend's ear to come by and try them!  Sometimes these regional foods we love do end up traveling to the most unexpected places!
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/13 15:58:59 (permalink)
    billyboy - all those photos are mouthwatering, and I have to say, I fixated on the Syracuse salt potatoes.  I never knew boiled potatoes could look so amazing.

Additional things I've found out about:

Sugar Cream Pie (IN)
    Pastrami burger (UT)
    Jibarito (Chicago)
    Woodford pudding (KY)
    Charleston dog (WV)
    Breakfast scramble (WI)
    Calf fries (OK)
    Gym Shoe (Chicago)
    Funeral potatoes (UT)
    Runzas (NE)
    Tri-tip steak (CA)

Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 501
    Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/13 19:28:33 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

There are still plenty of regional foods that I haven't had the opportunity to try, yet.  Like ployes in Maine, boiled dinners in New England, ya-ka-mein and maque choux in Louisiana, jibarito in Chicago, downstate chowder in Illinois, chicken booyah in Wisconsin, cashew chicken around Springfield, MO and cudighi in the UP.  No doubt there are many more. 

It is doubtful I will ever try brain sandwiches in St. Louis and chitlins in the South.

I have smelled chitlins cooking as a kid growing up in NC, and I was always amazed that someone would eat anything so offensive-smelling.  I may be a traitor to my culture but can say you are wise to avoid them.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1