Hot!Regional foods I've never had...

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18855
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/13 19:48:05 (permalink)
I've eaten chitterlings (really, that's chitlins). I did not want to eat them. But I was a guest in my best friend's home (high school) and that's what his grandmother was making. I have no plans to ever eat them again.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/13 21:18:49 (permalink)
Ketteract

The book 500 things to eat before its too late...
From Michael and Jane Stern

http://www.amazon.com/500...ore-Late/dp/0547059078

Is chock full of wonderful regional items and MANY of them I had not heard of or tried, but as god as my witness, I will attempt to eat everyone of them before I die (except maybe the testicle section of the book)

psst if you want a copy of the book check eBay I got mine for $5.88 and free shipping
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3601
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/13 21:25:35 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I've eaten chitterlings (really, that's chitlins). I did not want to eat them. But I was a guest in my best friend's home (high school) and that's what his grandmother was making. I have no plans to ever eat them again.

I had a similar experience at a party after a show one night. They weren't awful, but even before I found out what I was eating I was not fond of the taste or texture.

What's funny is how many of the regional foods listed here I've eaten, but seldom if ever in the regions from which they come. We used to make Brunswick stew all the time (using squirrel, typically, sometimes rabbit, shot behind the house), Muffuletta I've had the great pleasure of eating in New Orleans, same with pimiento cheese sandwiches. Salt potatoes I can only assume are something different from the boiled salted potatoes my grandma served with every meal, or at least I hope so. While I've never eaten actual Skyline chili, I have eaten chili over pasta and I'm not a fan. Oddly, I had no idea there was such a thing as a specific Detroit-style pizza, but if we're talking about it being square then that's what we made throughout my childhood. Red-eye gravy was another thing my grandma and mother used to make all the time, although I've also eaten it any number of times in the South.

Indian fry bread I've never had from Arizona or New Mexico, but the tribes here make some that melts in your mouth while still being chewy and filling. Fish tacos I didn't know came from SoCal, since I first had them at a restaurant in Detroit. I also had no idea soft pretzels were a regional thing...they taught us how to make them in high school home ec class and I used to get them at the mall all the time when I was a kid. Crawfish I happily learned to eat rather than avoid while swimming while I was in Biloxi. Is breakfast scramble really regional to Wisconsin? In our family, that's a traditional Christmas breakfast, because you don't have to mess with a bunch of different pans.

I just realized through the course of going back and forth to gather the names of stuff I come across snippy. I didn't mean to...a lot of these I honestly had no clue they were considered regional specialties. My family has been from nowhere else in the US since they came over from Europe, and many of them are standard dinner fare with us. 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10352
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/09/14 03:19:57 (permalink)
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/17 12:42:07 (permalink)
Bay corn!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4116
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/17 13:31:45 (permalink)
There are certain parts of the country that I haven't been to yet and that is where I need to try:
Cincinnati Chili
Kentucky Mutton Burgoo
Kentucky Hot Brown
Maine Lobster roll
Philly Cheesesteak
Conch Chowder and fritters
Indiana Tenderloin sandwich
Some items I have had elsewhere but of course I want to try them in the area that made them famous. And of course I need to try:
Lutefisk

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6408
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/17 14:27:46 (permalink)
EdSails

There are certain parts of the country that I haven't been to yet and that is where I need to try:
Cincinnati Chili
Kentucky Mutton Burgoo
Kentucky Hot Brown
Maine Lobster roll
Philly Cheesesteak
Some items I have had elsewhere but of course I want to try them in the area that made them famous. And of course I need to try:
Lutefisk

I've had all those items in their specific locale except Lutefisk where I've lived now for 43 years and where it is made here in Minnesota. On that one I am waiting for wanderingjew to tell me how good it is.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/17 14:41:20 (permalink)
Davydd

EdSails

Cincinnati Chili
Kentucky Mutton Burgoo
Kentucky Hot Brown
Maine Lobster roll
Philly Cheesesteak
Lutefisk

I've had all those items in their specific locale except Lutefisk where I've lived now for 43 years and where it is made here in Minnesota. On that one I am waiting for wanderingjew to tell me how good it is.

I think all of us will anxiously await wanderingjew's lutefisk report. 

Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2320
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/17 15:08:41 (permalink)
I know a little bit of the history of the fish taco.

I never went with them, but several friends of mine, mostly police officers, used to take trips to Baja.  Specifically, they went to a town called San Felipe.  They would always come back raving about the fish tacos they got from a cart on the beach.
One of those guys, Steve Rubio, liked them so much, he opened a little restaurant on Mission Bay in San Diego.  He opened in a building that had previously housed an Orange Julius franchise.   Needless to say, the concept went over well.  A few years later, I found fish tacos on a menu in Florida.  Now they're everywhere.  But Rubio was the visionary.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/17 15:48:35 (permalink)
Poverty Pete

I know a little bit of the history of the fish taco.

I never went with them, but several friends of mine, mostly police officers, used to take trips to Baja.  Specifically, they went to a town called San Felipe.  They would always come back raving about the fish tacos they got from a cart on the beach.
One of those guys, Steve Rubio, liked them so much, he opened a little restaurant on Mission Bay in San Diego.  He opened in a building that had previously housed an Orange Julius franchise.   Needless to say, the concept went over well.  A few years later, I found fish tacos on a menu in Florida.  Now they're everywhere.  But Rubio was the visionary.

Preety much right, Poverty Pete, except it is Ralph Rubio. 

Here's a photo I took of Ralph Rubio a few months ago when I joined him to try their new langoustine lobster tacos. He's a nice guy and very passionate about sustainability, the ocean environment and of course, food. And he still enjoys fish tacos!
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1035
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/17 20:23:13 (permalink)
billyboy

Salt potatoes (Syracuse, NY) - Small white potatoes, boiled in heavily salted water and served with LOTS of melted butter.  I've usually had them at the Great NY State Fair (most food vendors sell them at at family/firehouse clambakes.  A true taste of summer in CNY!  
Here are the most recent ones I had after a 10-mile race through Syracuse this past May.  And boy did I need to replenish with lots of salt!

Garbage plate (Rochester, NY) - I've only had it one time, but not at Nick Tahou's where it originated and the name is trademarked.  Other places can serve the same dish but they must call it something else, usually "trash plate", "refuse plate", or dumpster plate".  Tahou's had a booth at the Lilac Festival in Rochester in the early 1990s and while visiting friend in the area we went to the festival and I indulged in one of these plates after hearing a few of my U of R friends speak highly of it.  More than 20 years later I crave another one.  Chose your meat (hamburger, hot dog, sausage, etc...) and they cover it with a meat/chili sauce, home fries, chopped onions, mustard and hot sauce.  A scoop of macaroni salad and a scoop of baked beans on the side of the same plate and a couple slices of bread.  Sorry, no pics of this one.  Fer what ails ya!
Cheers!  -billyboy

Salt potatoes are a staple in central NY, we eat them with everything during the summer.

A garbage plate restaurant opened around the corner from our place in Oneonta, we've become friendly with the owner and I eat there once or twice a week. Today I had a hot plate with garlic mashed potatoes, topped with philly cheese steak, the ubiquitous "Rochester" sauce (their sauce is really spicy), and chopped onions and mustard. Sloppy but really good.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/17 20:27:27 (permalink)
Sounds like the potatoes served at a Fish Boil around Wilson and Olcott on Lake Ontario.
SeamusD
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/17 21:06:24 (permalink)
Could be, it's not far from Syracuse where these particular spuds were "born".
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/18 08:50:00 (permalink)
Cornell chicken....I make it at home, but have never had it in Ithaca.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/18 10:22:29 (permalink)
Davydd

EdSails

Cincinnati Chili
Kentucky Mutton Burgoo
Kentucky Hot Brown
Maine Lobster roll
Philly Cheesesteak
Lutefisk

I feel honored for thinking that I had something to do with this, but honestly you're taking all the credit away from the Sterns for including Lutefisk in the pre website    pre Bruce Bilmes Roadfood books (there I've finally said it)
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/18 13:20:39 (permalink)
Said what?
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3751
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/18 16:14:35 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Said what?

Thank you for asking.  I have no idea what he meant either.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/18 16:34:47 (permalink)
WJ is obsessed with Bruce & Sue?
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6408
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/18 18:42:44 (permalink)
Lunds & Byerlys supermarkets are selling Lutefisk this holiday season for home consumption. The white gelatanous goop looks tempting (not really) but I've been informed by my wife Minnesota wild rice soup is planned for Christmas Eve and Swedish meatballs are planned for Christmas day. That's as Minnesota as we'll get and she will also have her pickled herring.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/18 19:19:39 (permalink)
Too bad about the lutefisk, but as long as there's pickled herring ... .
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/18 19:24:32 (permalink)
I do love the Herring filets in wine sauce...any time of year ! ( the Herring in Sour Cream, not so much !)
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5204
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/18 20:46:34 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

With herring it's the fish that's pickled; with lutefisk it's often the consumer.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/18 21:34:16 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

No truer words were ever spoken!

Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/19 07:33:19 (permalink)
mayor al

I do love the Herring filets in wine sauce...any time of year ! ( the Herring in Sour Cream, not so much !)
I love the latter as long as it's Vita brand...I doctor it with some sliced Vidalia, crushed black pepper and a splash of Sriracha.

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8644
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/19 08:28:23 (permalink)
I love both pickled and sour cream herring. We have a local factory-called Ma Baensch-really good stuff!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/19 16:24:22 (permalink)
EdSails

Cincinnati Chili
Kentucky Mutton Burgoo
Kentucky Hot Brown
Maine Lobster roll
Philly Cheesesteak
Lutefisk

If you make it to the chili crawl I can help you get these off your havent eaten list!!!!!

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/19 17:15:37 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

Michael Hoffman

With herring it's the fish that's pickled; with lutefisk it's often the consumer.

Two thumbs up! 
SeamusD
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/24 20:27:58 (permalink)
Pancho

Cornell chicken....I make it at home, but have never had it in Ithaca.

I've eaten in Ithaca numerous times, but never Cornell chicken. I live right up the road from Brook's BBQ in Oneonta, NY, their Cornell chicken is some of the best I've ever had. Or drive through any small town on a Saturday or Sunday, and you'll find a firehouse or church having a chicken bbq with Cornell style chicken. The dinners usually consist of central NY items... Cornell chicken (usually half a chicken), salt potatoes, and Grandma Brown's baked beans (with molasses and brown sugar). Usually all have a soft roll, a packet of plastic dinnerware and napkin, and a wet knap. One of my all time favorite meals.
Texascajun
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/25 00:57:29 (permalink)
Davydd

Lunds & Byerlys supermarkets are selling Lutefisk this holiday season for home consumption. The white gelatanous goop looks tempting (not really) but I've been informed by my wife Minnesota wild rice soup is planned for Christmas Eve and Swedish meatballs are planned for Christmas day. That's as Minnesota as we'll get and she will also have her pickled herring.

Was just watching Bizaar America while wrapping presents and Andrew Zimmern ate sausage made with luefisk. He and the man who makes it said it was good (I'll take their word for it).
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Regional foods I've never had... 2013/12/25 01:09:38 (permalink)
CajunKing

EdSails

Cincinnati Chili
Kentucky Mutton Burgoo
Kentucky Hot Brown
Maine Lobster roll
Philly Cheesesteak
Lutefisk

If you make it to the chili crawl I can help you get these off your havent eaten list!!!!!

That sounds like a challenge!
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1