Regional potato chips

Page: << < ..678910 Showing page 10 of 10
Author
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8669
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/09/14 04:08:45 (permalink)
Oh goodness, MFL-I knew Mrs.Howe back in the day and she was a lovely woman.Glad to hear there is a potato chip out there that rivals hers!
angeltearsmc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/09/15 22:30:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ces1948

Here in NE Tennessee we had a brand called Terry's which I really enjoyed. They were made in Bristol, Tn or Va not sure which. Unfortunately they went under several years ago. One of our local supermarket chains called Food City has recently started to revive some of the "nostalgia" brands and Terry's was one of them. They brought out the original packaging and flavors but I'm not sure if it's the same recipe. At least it doesn't taste like the original to me. To be fair though my tastes have changed so much it may just be me.

According to DBF's dad, who works for FC (corporate, not in one of the stores), it's not the same recipe. I don't know if that's "hear-say" in his workplace or actual fact, though.

Speaking of their "revived" brands, have you tried the Kay's ice cream? That's some good stuff... not cheap, but good!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/09/15 22:59:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jfitz
Ol Ort named these back in 03: Sterzings.Some mentioned Gibbles. Both are addictive.

jfitz,
Thank you, thank you! -- You unearthed my old post (one of my earliest!)... what a great memory!
Ever since the near-explosion of restaurants that make their own potato chips, I haven't needed to order a Sterzing's fix... but I think I will, as soon as possible, just to share 'em with other folks who won't have ever had them.
My currently-favorite eatery, Allen's Hamburgers, makes their own chips (they come pre-cut). I ask for 'em extra-well-done and put mustard on 'em... brown if I'm in the mood for it; yellow if I'm not. I don't order them up often, though, because (as always, it seems) I'm trying to lose weight!
Lo these many years later, I stand by my assessment of Sterzing's from Burlington, Iowa as being some of the best potato chips in America. Alas, however, I have yet to try Middleswarth's, although those can't be much better than Grandma Utz's!
I was unaware that Gibble's had gone out of business. Sad. Too many people eating chain-chips that are the same everywhere... how boring. Yawwwn. (That not-the-same-everywhere-ness is one reason I like livermush, but THAT'S another story... and for another thread!)
Chipperly Unchippingly (they won't let food into the library), Ort. Carlton in Et More Than Tu Athens, Georgia.
cameron074
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/09/24 14:39:50 (permalink)
I love Poore Brothers Habanero chips. Haven't had them in a very long time but still remember how delicious they were.
Grillnut
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 147
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/09/24 16:28:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
...I stand by my assessment of Sterzing's from Burlington, Iowa as being some of the best potato chips in America. Alas, however, I have yet to try Middleswarth's, although those can't be much better than Grandma Utz's!

I finished off a bag of Grandma Utz's yesterday. They're some of the best chips I've ever eaten. Fried in LARD!!! I live a few miles from the Utz plants in Hanover, PA, and you can smell them for several blocks or, if the wind is right, even farther.

Martin's Kettle Cooked and their new Sea Style chips (with sea salt) are another good local brand.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/09/25 00:20:07 (permalink)
Utz Black Pepper chips are AWESOME!

I also love dill pickle chips and lemon chips, but they are difficult to find in NJ. I found dill in Buffalo and lemon in Cali.
justmeincal
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/09/29 17:45:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jfitz

Ol Ort named these back in 03: Sterzings.Some mentioned Gibbles. Both are addictive.

It's interesting how our taste buds vary. When I grew up, Sterzing's was the most popular chip around. I couldn't stand them. I recently went back to Illinois and tried them again, and yep, I still can't stand them...lol
collinf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 165
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/10/21 17:20:02 (permalink)
Art & Mary's potato chips (formerly just Art's) are a local favorite in the Kansas and Missouri area. Similar to Utz chips. I used to really love their jalepeno flavor.

http://www.artsandmarys.com/
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/12/17 09:06:54 (permalink)
My old home town favorite, and still produced today:

http://www.mrsmikes.com/

Went to their garage factory as a kid in the 60's, been sold since, and still the original artwork on the bag, and they sell (or used to) in bulk you could take your own container to their factory, I used a 5 gallon bucket, and they would charge by the pound. One of the last local foods available from my old hometown!

ThrashATL
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/12/17 14:35:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by collinf

Art & Mary's potato chips (formerly just Art's) are a local favorite in the Kansas and Missouri area. Similar to Utz chips. I used to really love their jalepeno flavor.

http://www.artsandmarys.com/

Loved Art's "Hot Tater Chips" back in the 80's when they were made 100% with peanut oil...now, not so much. I'm into Zapp's Cajun Crawtators more than any other chip.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 286
RE: Regional potato chips 2013/09/25 17:34:14 (permalink)
Ort. Carlton.

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by jfitz

jfitz,
Thank you, thank you! -- You unearthed my old post (one of my earliest!)... what a great memory!
Ever since the near-explosion of restaurants that make their own potato chips, I haven't needed to order a Sterzing's fix... but I think I will, as soon as possible, just to share 'em with other folks who won't have ever had them.
My currently-favorite eatery, Allen's Hamburgers, makes their own chips (they come pre-cut). I ask for 'em extra-well-done and put mustard on 'em... brown if I'm in the mood for it; yellow if I'm not. I don't order them up often, though, because (as always, it seems) I'm trying to lose weight!
Lo these many years later, I stand by my assessment of Sterzing's from Burlington, Iowa as being some of the best potato chips in America. Alas, however, I have yet to try Middleswarth's, although those can't be much better than Grandma Utz's!

I had some Sterzing's shipped to me for my birthday last week.  They just got here today.  I almost felt like crying, I've missed them so much.  Best chips ever.

Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 286
RE: Regional potato chips 2013/09/25 20:30:18 (permalink)
All hail Sterzing's, king of chips.

WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1860
RE: Regional potato chips 2013/09/27 11:06:34 (permalink)
Love Sterzing's.  3 ingredients.  Potatoes, salt, oil.  Fry.  But they do it soooOOOooo well.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5216
RE: Regional potato chips 2013/09/27 11:20:31 (permalink)
I've emailed Sterzing to see who the nearest retailer might be, although the 2-hour drive to Dubuque isn't all that bad.  I feel obliged to at least try Sterzing's chips before I automatically pronounce them inferior to Mrs. Fisher's.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Regional potato chips 2013/09/27 16:06:48 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

I've emailed Sterzing to see who the nearest retailer might be, although the 2-hour drive to Dubuque isn't all that bad.  I feel obliged to at least try Sterzing's chips before I automatically pronounce them inferior to Mrs. Fisher's.
Hey SC....I just ate the last bag of Dakota Style "Industrial Strength" chips that I brought back from Clark, SD. (pop 700). They have 12 employees and are the best chips I've ever had. They will even send you some, or I'll bring you back a few bags when I go on my road trip next June.
http://www.dakotastyle.com/
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6530
RE: Regional potato chips 2013/09/27 17:48:24 (permalink)
I still love my Cincy's own GRIPPOS
There BBQ chips are Wonderfully spicy and your tongue and throat get hotter the deeper in the bag you go and those DARK RED (&%_&% at the bottom of the bag!!!!!!

scrumptiouschef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 697
RE: Regional potato chips 2013/10/22 00:26:37 (permalink)
CoreyEl

Just discovered Golden Flake "The South's Original Potato Chip". They're incredible.

Toured Golden Flake's factory when I was in culinary school and they gave each of us a big, brown paper bag filled with hot, greasy chips fresh from the fryer when we departed. Best? Almost as good as Grippos.
Page: << < ..678910 Showing page 10 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1