Regional potato chips

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10
Author
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Regional potato chips 2003/10/01 10:40:08 (permalink)
Ahh yes! Those are delicious! Having a harder and harder time finding them in Gainesville. I believe Ward's still carries them. Some of the little "kwik" stops were carrying them but have seemed to stop. Guess I'll have to wait for another trip to Palatka, well, I meant through Palatka. Have you been to the farm??? "Bulls-Hit Farm" that is??? I haven't. Not sure what they do down there.....I mean between the bulls and the chips. Wait a minute, are those really POTATO chips we're eating!?!?!??! Oh yeah, Palatka, potato/cabbage capitol. Must be taters.
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Regional potato chips 2003/10/01 11:48:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Furgs

We're partial to Route 11 Chips out of Middletown, VA, just north of where Rte. 66 and Rte 81 intersect. They have a lot of flavors, but my personal favorite is Mama Zuma's Revenge--they are HOT!! My family's other faves are Dill Pickle and Sour Cream and Onion. You can watch them make the small batches of chips on Fridays and Saturdays. You can buy them prepackaged in gourmet-type stores, but I suggest going to the source and having them bag them for you there.

Consider this another vote for Virginia's esteemed Route 11 Chips. Although by commercial standards, Pennsylvania's Utz chips are accessible, affordable and highly consumable !
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3323
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/01/22 19:04:11 (permalink)
Jays from Chicago.
Can't stop eating 'em!

www.jaysfoods.com
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/01/31 23:21:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by peppertree

Wise Potato Chips are not available in Texas markets. (Maybe a specialty shop, not a regular market).

I liked Wise when I was home in NYC. I remember in college in Philadelphia, I would go to a convenience store called Wawa and buy Herr's. They also sold Pa. Dutch chips.

The wife and I swear by Wawa! Got to stop on the way home tonight and have some Wawa hoagies and a bag of Utz chips.
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/01/31 23:27:07 (permalink)
Speaking of Utz chips, I did some radio shows last year when the "Snack Attack!" issue of my food newsletter came out. I was on a show out of Albany, NY and the host told me that stores up there carried Utz chips that were Nathan's Hot Dog flavored! I sent him a bag of Utz's crab seasoning chips but he never sent the Nathan's chips in return... was he pulling my leg or does such a thing exist?
Nushiekitty
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/02/06 15:04:39 (permalink)
Essvee, I am not sure if anyone has informed of the fate of state line but this is what I have figured out so far. They are made out of Quebec now. In fact I was just finishing my bag of state line when I saw this. Currently the only place I know of that has it is a pizza place in Windsor CT. I have no idea how they got it but I bought it. Anyone that recieves product for the Yum Yum Potato Chip should be able to get State Line for you.

I miss those days of driving rte. 20, hitting Wilbraham (from Palmer), rolling down the windows just to breathe in the chip air.
quote:
Originally posted by essvee

Oh man, am I glad this topic popped up. I desperately need an answer to this question: What in the world happened to State Line potato chips?

State Line was the best potato chip in the world, bar none. They were made in Wilbraham MA, and were available all over southern New England. I went back home last year, after an absence of some years, and they had disappeared completely. I asked my moms, other folks, even spa owners, no one could say anything but "oh yeah, I remember them, not sure what happened..." The humanity!

Why were they the best, you ask? There are two kinds of chips, forget the odious kettle chips for now. There are the greasy, well-fried kind, like Wise and Humpty Dumpty. These chips are smallish and deep golden brown and taste of grease. All right for some. Then there are the elegant, non-greasy, fried-just-right kind. They are largish, thickish, fried to a graceful ivory-brown, and possess a sublime, potatoe-y, greaseless flavor and crunch. Wachusett brand chips from central MA are an exemplar of this style as well.

Out here in CA, its basically Lays, or some kind of fancy kettle-like chip. Feh. State Line and Wachusett are to Lays as pate is to liverwurst. It was a sad days for snacking the day State Line closed their doors. Can anyone tell me what happened? It would at least offer some closure for my grief. Thanking you, your humble servant, essvee.
redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/02/06 16:05:59 (permalink)
A local favorite around here is Mister Bee Potato chips which are made in Parkersburg, WV, and they's just introduced a particularly tasty kettle style chip. Utz is also a local fave, and has so many flavors it's confusing, including a new line of "Mystic Style Kettle Cooked". But still my favorites of all time were the Cape Cod Chips and the wonderful RT 11 tater chips.
Jameslakes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/02/10 12:13:56 (permalink)
re: Cape Cod
The company was bought by Lance of Charlotte NC. Originally they were to make and distribute throughout the South, out of Charlotte. However due to the cost of manufacturing on Cape Cod, they are switching all of their production to Charlotte. They have huge capacities and can service all of the East from there.
Also, they have perfected the taste, so no one should notice any changes in quality...except the poor guys who will lose their jobs in Hyannis, MA!
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/02/10 13:40:01 (permalink)
oh that is horrible..i remember visiting the cape cod plant a lot and i always thought how nice it is that it was still around making chips locally!

sad news indeed
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/02/14 16:15:09 (permalink)
I remember my sister-in-law writing to Jays to see if they could broaden their maket so she could buy them in Indianapolis. This was years ago. After she sent them the letter a package came back with several bags of Jays Chips in it. Nowdays you can get Jays everywhere I think.
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/02/14 16:31:14 (permalink)
Just a few comments, for what they are worth. Loved Poore Bros. potato chips while living in Arizona.

Have seen Charles Chips cans at Cracket Barrel stores. Used to get Charles Chips regularly on their home delivery route, about 50 years ago. Really good chips back then.

Am now just about adicted to Lay's Dill Pickle Chips. They are delicious!

Herr's are good also. I've wondered....as I understand it, Herr's bought a small potato chip company named Dildine's at one time. My maiden name was Dildine and my ancestors came from Pennsylvania...could it be that my ancestors once had a potato chip company? Interesting and haven't found the answer yet.

But none of the chips taste like they did back in the 40s, when they really had potato flavor, and were a treat to eat, when I could only afford a small package of them once in awhile for lunch while in high school.

As I said....no biggie, just my reminiscences and comments.

Donna
WingLover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/16 18:48:43 (permalink)
I love Herr's potato chips! The best brand of chips you can buy. Their "red hot" potato chips is something you *must* try if you want your chip to have a spicy kick! I am addicted to them! A close second is the "salt and vinegar", followed by the BBQ.

The best BBQ potato chip that I have ever had are the UTZ brand. Oh man, they are wonderful!

~Jessica
prius
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 109
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/16 19:12:23 (permalink)
CONNS...OHIO'S best chips...ever
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/16 19:14:19 (permalink)
Are DanDee Potato chips still made in Waterfort, PA? Haven't seen them in the stores in Western New York for the past 2 years.
Ted Steak
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 60
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/16 20:23:54 (permalink)
Wise BBQ chips...period!
Phishmonger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/16 21:41:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Nushiekitty

Essvee, I am not sure if anyone has informed of the fate of state line but this is what I have figured out so far. They are made out of Quebec now. In fact I was just finishing my bag of state line when I saw this. Currently the only place I know of that has it is a pizza place in Windsor CT. I have no idea how they got it but I bought it. Anyone that recieves product for the Yum Yum Potato Chip should be able to get State Line for you.

I miss those days of driving rte. 20, hitting Wilbraham (from Palmer), rolling down the windows just to breathe in the chip air.

quote:
Originally posted by essvee

Oh man, am I glad this topic popped up. I desperately need an answer to this question: What in the world happened to State Line potato chips?

State Line was the best potato chip in the world, bar none. They were made in Wilbraham MA, and were available all over southern New England. I went back home last year, after an absence of some years, and they had disappeared completely. I asked my moms, other folks, even spa owners, no one could say anything but "oh yeah, I remember them, not sure what happened..." The humanity!

Why were they the best, you ask? There are two kinds of chips, forget the odious kettle chips for now. There are the greasy, well-fried kind, like Wise and Humpty Dumpty. These chips are smallish and deep golden brown and taste of grease. All right for some. Then there are the elegant, non-greasy, fried-just-right kind. They are largish, thickish, fried to a graceful ivory-brown, and possess a sublime, potatoe-y, greaseless flavor and crunch. Wachusett brand chips from central MA are an exemplar of this style as well.

Out here in CA, its basically Lays, or some kind of fancy kettle-like chip. Feh. State Line and Wachusett are to Lays as pate is to liverwurst. It was a sad days for snacking the day State Line closed their doors. Can anyone tell me what happened? It would at least offer some closure for my grief. Thanking you, your humble servant, essvee.

Phishmonger
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/16 21:46:12 (permalink)
Sorry 'bout that. Hit the wrong key, I guess. I recall, as a little 'un, stopping at the State Line factory. There was a small showroom on the corner of the building, and you walked in and they gave you a free bag of the freshest chips ever! They were always hot and just yummy! Never have had them as good since. State Line is still available around here, and they are still my favorite. Sometimes, I heat them up in the microwave, but they never taste the same as in those long-lost days. Wise are my 2nd choice.
Jameslakes
Junior Burger
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/17 15:55:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by anselmo1

Are DanDee Potato chips still made in Waterfort, PA? Haven't seen them in the stores in Western New York for the past 2 years.

DanDee are made by Troyer Farms, located in Waterford, PA, outside of Erie.
Jameslakes
Junior Burger
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/17 16:00:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WingLover

I love Herr's potato chips! The best brand of chips you can buy. Their "red hot" potato chips is something you *must* try if you want your chip to have a spicy kick! I am addicted to them! A close second is the "salt and vinegar", followed by the BBQ.

The best BBQ potato chip that I have ever had are the UTZ brand. Oh man, they are wonderful!

~Jessica

Jessica, if you really love potato chips as I do, you must start to look at the boutique brands. Utz and Herrs are commercial grade, made to sell on sale, potato chips. They are OK but they are not even in the same league as Rt 11, Tastee Apple (Taro chips), Grippos (BBQ). All these have web sites that you can order from. They are the Mercedes while Utz's and Herr's are the Fords. Both can get you where you want to go, but Mercedes will get you there in style.
Try them and let me know. James
WingLover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/18 01:43:41 (permalink)
Thanks for the tips, James! I'd love to look into fancier brands of chips ... if I had that kind of money :) I am but a college student, after all! I'll look into the websites, though ... Rt 11 looks like it makes some killer salt and vinegar chips! Mmm!!

~Jessica
essvee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/18 10:41:37 (permalink)
Nushiekitty, thanks so much. You've helped a poor sick man. Phishmonger, where are you in time and space that the finest chip in the world is still available to you and yours?
Phishmonger
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/18 11:10:56 (permalink)
essvee-
I'm in the "Quiet Corner" of northeast Connecticut. State Line Chips have been longer than I have, and I hope they'll continue to be here.
gottatravel
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/18 17:17:01 (permalink)
I just bought a bag of "Cape Cod" dark russet potatoe chips. The bag says that they are still made in Cape Cod and factory tours are available.
Jameslakes
Junior Burger
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/19 06:06:47 (permalink)
You are correct gottatravel, some of Cape Cod chips are still made there and the tours are functional. However, the corporate decision was made to move most of the production to Charlotte NC. If you go on the tour you will never see the entire factory making chips anymore. At one time the entire factory was cooking 16 hours a day! Who knows, maybe for image they will continue on a small scale, but probably the land is too valuable for that and as contracts run out, they will scale back further until they finally announce the closing. May take up to two more years.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/24 11:53:58 (permalink)
The chips that our Charles Chips distributor sells now are the
Snyders of Berlin (out of PA). They have the kettle style chips which are real crunchy. The best ones we like are the Jalepeno flavored.
andypants
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/27 16:37:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jameslakes

The National guys, and UTZ is now considered a national provider, market their chips to the greatest number of similar tastes

Utz used to have billboards pointing out that there's "No Utz in LA" with a pony-tailed man with an earring cursing into a cell phone. Maybe things have changed.

My parents used to get pretzels from Charles Chips, and my grandparents used to sell Wise chips in their store. I don't eat chips much except when they come as a side with a sandwich.
jm199
Cheeseburger
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/27 16:46:39 (permalink)

Utz used to have a billboard along 1-95 North outside of Baltimore, Maryland, right after you paid the toll at the Harbor Tunnel that featured a female woman with big hair (think Marge Simpson height) that simply said,

In Nashville they got big hair, but they don't got UTZ

I almost crashed each and every time I passed that billboard.

Their Grandma Utz kettle chips are made in smaller batches, cooked in lard, and are mighty fine eating. Just don't share them, and you will have plenty for yourself.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/27 18:37:35 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
How grateful I am to see that other folks know about Sterzing's. The company refuses to start up a website, still cooks by hand, and is apparently about as expansion-oriented as a truly serious dieter. Thankfully they are willing to ship; the last ones I received, the label was still typed by hand on an old manual typewriter. Hey, I'll bet they're still using old rotary dial telephones, too.
If I ever find a woman crazy enough to marry me, Sterzing's will be a definite stop during our Honeymoon In Dubuque.
Chipping Slowly Away, The Eroding Ort. Carlton in 30601-Land.
Billfish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 397
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/03/27 18:56:18 (permalink)
Cains Foods,best known for their mayonnaise,but only in new England,as far as I know,used to make some of the best tasting potato chips on the market.They had a big plant down around Medford Mass,but i think they have been out of the chip biz for about 20 years.Its too bad,they were one of the most unique tasting chips around.Im not sure what was so different about them,but you could always pick them out amongst the other brands.I do recall that they were the only brand I remember that came in a clear bag.You have to have faith in your product to package it that way.
BooBooMaGoo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/04/07 15:24:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lvw

Charles Chips--delivered to your door in a big brown tin.

WOW! Haven't thought of those in years! I remember Granny would have them delivered! Also on hand were Mr. Salty pretzels.......what a blast from the past!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1