Hot!Regional potato chips

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 6 of 10
Author
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1157
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/10/30 19:27:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jameslakes
This forum, "regional potato chips" is wonderful, however too often the posts are about memories. There are still people making chips with the attitude of 'this is my product, this is how it tastes, I hope you like it'. Great products with wonderful flavors. "Route 11" of Virginia, "Grippo's" of Cincinnati, "Martin's" of Thomasville Pa, "Mrs. Fisher's" in Rockford IL; these are the artists in the Chip business who we should be glorifying for their current efforts and products.

The Utz's, Lance's, Herr's, Wise's etc, have surrendered to the Lay's philosophy of mass production and now aim at the 'center' of taste levels, rather than to a specific taste.

I see nothing wrong with posts which include memories...some of us only know what USED to be considered local, which, and correct me if I'm wrong, would include Utz, Lance, Herr's and Wise. I'm almost positive they all started out in Pennsylvania. Please tell me if not. I started out in Pennsylvania, too, so I'm certainly entitled to my memories, and thusly have earned the right to post about those memories! Instead of just listing names and places (which can get to be boring reading after awhile), I don't think it's a sin to incorporate some wonderful and funny memories associated with those names and places...

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4611
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/10/30 19:33:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by shaynas_mom

quote:
This forum, "regional potato chips" is wonderful, however too often the posts are about memories. There are still people making chips with the attitude of 'this is my product, this is how it tastes, I hope you like it'. Great products with wonderful flavors. "Route 11" of Virginia, "Grippo's" of Cincinnati, "Martin's" of Thomasville Pa, "Mrs. Fisher's" in Rockford IL; these are the artists in the Chip business who we should be glorifying for their current efforts and products.

The Utz's, Lance's, Herr's, Wise's etc, have surrendered to the Lay's philosophy of mass production and now aim at the 'center' of taste levels, rather than to a specific taste.
I see nothing wrong with posts which include memories...some of us only know what USED to be considered local, which, and correct me if I'm wrong, would include Utz, Lance, Herr's and Wise. I'm almost positive they all started out in Pennsylvania. Please tell me if not. I started out in Pennsylvania, too, so I'm certainly entitled to my memories, and thusly have earned the right to post about those memories! Instead of just listing names and places (which can get to be boring reading after awhile), I don't think it's a sin to incorporate some wonderful and funny memories associated with those names and places...

I think the point they were making that it is unfortunate that we are talking about chips gone by -- "memories," brands we can't get anymore. Not about "current events" ... chips we can get today
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/10/31 08:51:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

Im still stumped - is Wise a regional chip?? I dont ever remember seeing them in Kansas....how far west do they go?

CIL,

Wise chips are available, according to their website, mainly in the eastern U.S. They are a privately owned company nowadays. They have plants in Berwick, PA (home office), Bristol, VA., and Spartanburg, SC.

Frank

harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1157
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/10/31 19:06:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

quote:
Originally posted by shaynas_mom

quote:

I think the point they were making that it is unfortunate that we are talking about chips gone by -- "memories," brands we can't get anymore. Not about "current events" ... chips we can get today

I guess I was being overly sensitive/sentimental. But I know that back in the day, you probably couldn't get Utz chips outside of PA. And to be perfectly honest, I have no idea where else they are available outside of the PA/NJ area. Same with Wise, Lance and Herr's...how far DO those brands go outside of our area? And I have a question about Wise, by the way, before I sink back into my middle-aged pit of memories -- why did Wise have some green-tinged chips in there? Do they still? Were they bad for you? I always pulled them out. I wouldn't eat the greenish ones. What did that mean? Were they like that on purpose? Nobody in my family would ever give me a straight answer when I was a kid.
Jameslakes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/01 11:31:30 (permalink)
Hey, shaynas-mom:
A little bit about the 'green' edged Wise Potato Chip. They will get that when they use potatoes that are not completely ripe. Many companies inspect their potatoes when they receive them, pulling out rotten ones, unripe ones, or cutting out black spots. After being cooked in oil at almost 300 degrees, anything bad on them was vaporized and other than the appearance, they are OK to eat.

In ref to your being overy sensitive/sentimental, I dont think you are. There is a paradox in all of this. If we want to see the 'old time' guys stay in business, then they have had to change and become more efficient to stay competitive. If they do that, they tend to lose their 'uniqueness'. If they dont do this, they end up out of business.

You are quite correct in remembering many many companies from PA that are now out of business. So, when I see some 'new' regional guy coming around like Route 11 or older companies maintaining their integrity, like Martin's, I am encouraged...
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/01 12:11:36 (permalink)
quote:
But I know that back in the day, you probably couldn't get Utz chips outside of PA. And to be perfectly honest, I have no idea where else they are available outside of the PA/NJ area. Same with Wise, Lance and Herr's...how far DO those brands go outside of our area?

I have found Utz as far south as Virginia, and as far north as Maine...haven't researched in a westerly direction yet!

I grew up on Long Island, and we had a local brand called Treat. Their factory was right in the middle of the Long Island Potato fields many of which have become sod farms, vineyards, or housing developments. My memory tells me those were the best chips I ever had, but I am uncertain if that is anywhere close to reality or just wishful thinking.
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1984
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/04 10:06:17 (permalink)
A potato will get green when exposed to light. That's why they keep best in the dark. Lays, the uniformly bland national brand does not have green chips because they come down very hard on a grower who ships so much as a single green potato in a trailer load. This takes some hand sorting on the part of he farmer because some spuds will grow close to the surface and make a green skin on the top. Those tubers must be culled, and the cost of doing so irks low margin farmers. On the plus side, if a farmer is willing to do things by the book, Lays is a good customer
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/04 10:41:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by markolenski

Looks like a company in Canada is now using the name.
http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=1307

There is a listing in the phone book for...

Stateline Boyd
420 Lynnway
Lynn, MA 01901
781-593-4422

If anyone just HAS to know!
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/04 11:35:28 (permalink)
Tony, that number is out of service. I have tried to find state line chips for a whilw to no avail. Still have Wachusetts everywhere though.

Thanks for trying!
DinoS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/04 11:56:46 (permalink)
Growing up in western Michigan we had a local brand of potato chip called New Era. They came in large metal cans as apparently did many other brands. My mother always used the cans for storage. Usually of woolen winter gear w/ mothballs.

Someone mentioned 'Mr. Salty' pretzels. Whatever became of them? Haven't been able to find them for years. I thought they were a major brand of somebody like Nabisco.

Dino
cedwin
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/04 13:53:23 (permalink)
We have a local brand that all the baby boomers in Minnesota grew up with, called Old Dutch. The big boys, Frito Lay, has been attacking Old Dutch with a variety of ads pointing out their chips are better than Old Dutch. I find these ads interesting conceptually but unconvincing. Lay's chips are better tasting, and we all know it. But they also cost 40% more and don't have the nostalgic cachet that Old Dutch has.

Old Dutch will continue to do very well, despite the FritoLays advertising here.
Jameslakes
Junior Burger
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/04 15:39:27 (permalink)
Frito Lay has been using local advertising campaigns claiming their chips were preferred in an area over local chips. In Chicago they went up against Jays, in Baltimore against Utz, and in New England against Cape Cod. Seems that they are trying it in Minnesota as well. A judge in Chicago gave them an order to imm stop the ads and take down billboards since the marketing company supposedly doing the taste tests could not provide proof of their testing standards. Because of Supermarket strategies of giving shelf space to companies who pay for it (slotting fees) local guys are pushed out and guys like Frito gets more space. A shame.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/04 15:53:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by renfrew

Tony, that number is out of service. I have tried to find state line chips for a while to no avail. Still have Wachusetts everywhere though.

Thanks for trying!

Bummer!

I used to get Stateline chips when I would visit my in-laws in Springfield, MA. (I'd also try to hit Nick's Nest or White Hut).

Wachusetts are really good as well. They have them at George's Coney Island in Worcester...and I get them whenever passing that way, but they don't seem to be available anywhere much west of Worcester.

I'll ask my mother-in-law to see if they have Stateline in any of her local stores. From the limited info I found, it seems Stateline and Boyd's merged in the late 90's and promptly went bankrupt...they then staged a comeback, but perhaps that has now failed again.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/04 15:58:35 (permalink)
quote:

Someone mentioned 'Mr. Salty' pretzels. Whatever became of them? Haven't been able to find them for years. I thought they were a major brand of somebody like Nabisco.

Dino

I wonder if the name was just deemed inappropriate in our "health conscious" world. I remember some breakfast cereals used to have the word "Sugar" in their name (can't get enough of super sugar crisp), but the word sugar has been dropped. Just a thought.
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/04 16:13:09 (permalink)
The greatest of all are Snyder's of BERLIN (NOT Snyder's of Hanover) - they come in distinctive silver bag. They used to be a Western PA product but have expanded - thankfully I recently found them in Tennessee on a trip. They still haven't made the Carolinas unfortunately.

As far as Southern chips go, I'm happy with Golden Flake Thin & Crispy PLAIN. Golden Flake makes lots of funky flavors (dill pickle, loaded cheeseburger) but I like to stick with plain.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/04 16:23:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:

Dino

I wonder if the name was just deemed inappropriate in our "health conscious" world. I remember some breakfast cereals used to have the word "Sugar" in their name (can't get enough of super sugar crisp), but the word sugar has been dropped. Just a thought.

Yepper...Mr Salty got done in by the Health Division of the PC Ubermeisters....he is now in the same Purgatory with Sugar Pops and all the other "Sugar" cereals ..amazing they still sell crackers as 'saltines'...or do they??

Tommy2dogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/05 01:12:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DinoS

Growing up in western Michigan we had a local brand of potato chip called New Era. They came in large metal cans as apparently did many other brands. My mother always used the cans for storage. Usually of woolen winter gear w/ mothballs.

Dino

We had New Era in Chicago when I was growing up.They also came in a large yellowish box with 2 wax type bags of chips inside. They were always favored in our house over Jays.
DinoS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/09 11:45:10 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Dino

I was wondering about that. One of my holiday jobs is to make a batch (or two, or three...) of chex 'party mix' for family get togethers. I always liked the Mr. Salty pretzels the best. Nice, thin, crispy sticks.

Are they still around under a more PC name?

Dino
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/09 12:44:15 (permalink)

Up here in Maine we have Humpty Dumpty chips, which I suspose are regional but they used to be local as well, spuds from 'the County' processed just south of Portland. They had some interesting varities, includeing Cheese and Onion, Dill Pickle, Downeast Clam Dip, Ketchup, and Bacon (my pick as best of the lot).
Alas, a big Canadian outfit bought them out and closed the Scaroborough plant, and they just aren't the same (or as good).
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1984
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/09 13:23:25 (permalink)
I had Humpty Dumpty up there last summer. They are good. I also had a good Canadian brand on PEI, but can not recall the name. I miss Stateline too. I used to pass the plant on Rt 20 in Wilbraham. The smell made me want some. My store manager said that union troubles did them in.
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/10 15:08:57 (permalink)
tmiles -

Was the PEI brand by chance "Miss Vickies"? I think they're from PEI - actually see them at some specialty delis here.
Jameslakes
Junior Burger
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/10 17:30:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaBill

tmiles -

Was the PEI brand by chance "Miss Vickies"? I think they're from PEI - actually see them at some specialty delis here.

NO NO NO! Miss Vickies is made by Frito Lay!! Nice cute labels but same old chips... Note: Frito Lay is outsourcing their product more and more. At last count 26 different chip manufacturers were making for Frito Lay alongside their own production.

John from Pa.
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/10 17:58:30 (permalink)
As others mentioned, living near the snack capital of Central Pa, there are numerous local brands - Herrs, Gibbles, Goods, Bickels, Martins, Utz, etc. If in the area try the snack food aisle at the Shady Maple supermarket (near the huge Pa. Dutch buffet) in Blue Ball, there are numerous local chips & pretzels mixed in with the national brands.

I also started bringing home Rt.11 chips from trips to the Shenandoah Valley of Virgina years ago, now I see them in Cracker Barrel shops (just weeks ago saw them in Sturbridge, Mass!) They also have the Charles Chips cans, as does the Vermont Country Store by mail order. (Off subject, remember that the Charles Chips man used to deliver special Choco Tree graham cracker cookies at Christmastime!)
BrewHaHa
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/21 21:22:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by M&M

Zapp's in New Orleans with such specialities as "Crawtators" See this link http://www.zapps.com/

Thick chips kettle cooked for extra crunchiness. The crawtators are kicking. I like the jalapeno too.
BrewHaHa
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/21 21:26:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CoreyEl

Just discovered Golden Flake "The South's Original Potato Chip". They're incredible.

If you go with GOlden Flake, I like the Sweet Heat BBQ. Just a hint of sweet in that tangy chip does the trick.
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/11/22 00:23:27 (permalink)
I just this weekend discovered (at Heaths Supermarket in Centre Harbor NH) Utz's Carolina BBQ chips, a chip so addictive that my wife -- who HATES flavored potato chips -- nearly had to be physically restrained from the bag. The best part is that they use actual Carolina barbecue seasonings: vinegar, mustard and chili. If you've ever been in Canada and had an All-Dressed chip, it's kind of similar to that, but without the sweet taste.

As fond as I am of all the Utz's chips I've had (incidentally, they make a fantastic cheese ball too!), these are now at the top of the list for me. Unfortunately, however, although Utz's chips are pretty easy to find in the outlying areas of New England, they're hard to get inside Boston proper.
drpep
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/12/06 21:33:30 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Dino

The Mr Salty name is back. I saw it on a product in the supermarket last week. It was from Kraft and I believe it was similar to their cracker and cheese packages only it was pretzels and cheese.
MYmimi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/12/06 21:54:09 (permalink)
There's a guy in Florida somewhere who makes the BEST chips called Bull's Chips. He'll send them anywher, but he doesn't have a website that I'm aware of. A guy I worked with in Ohio would send away for them and abring them to work.
Better than Grandma Shearers and Charles Chips.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/12/06 22:35:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

Speaking of homemade (or in this case, house-made) chips that happen to go well with libations, I think there are none better than those on the bar at Harry Caray's in Chicago:

I had those ones. Loved them. Of course, I haven't had Sundancer Brand, either.

Here's a wild stab in the dark for our New Jersey contingent. About 15 years ago, when I was less prone to taking note of these things, I had a job interview in Basking Ridge, NJ. I took the bus, and the interviewer who picked me up said we had to make a stop first, to a small chips place that he said made the best chips anywhere. I was floored by how good they were. Of course, I didn't take the job, have never been been back, and can't remember the name of the place. It was in the "heart" of town, if that helps.
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/12/07 16:21:47 (permalink)
We just started seeing Gibbles and Cape Cods here in central VA.
I tried Cape Cod's Firecracker BBQ and was less than impressed.
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 6 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1