Regional potato chips

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 7 of 10
Author
TheHotPepper.com
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/12/13 00:17:59 (permalink)
Good...

Cape Cod Firecracker BBQ
UTZ salt and vinegar

I remember Tom's Great american, they were not good... cheap vending macine chips.
TheHotPepper.com
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/12/13 00:20:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Sapp

Wise BBQ chips...period!

What about Wise Honey BBQ.... :)
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/12/13 01:05:15 (permalink)
I don't know if they're still considered "regional," but Zapp's (out of New Orleans) makes a fine product. Right now they have what they describe (I hope mistakenly!) as a "limited time promotion" on their Black Pepper and Sea Salt chips. Wonderful, though they could use a slightly lighter hand with the salt. And why sea salt on chips, anyhow? No matter. If they keep making them, I'll keep buying them even if I have to rinse the salt off occasionally.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5155
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/12/13 15:20:53 (permalink)
When I was growing up in the Rockford IL area in the '60s, '70s, and '80s Mrs. Fisher's was *the* potato chip (the company logo featured 2 children dancing with a potato). In the '70s a brand called Mr. G's showed up and the rumor was that it was started by former Fisher's employees; the chips did have a similar flavor but I think Fisher's were cut just a tad thicker. I'm pretty sure both brands are still around but I'm not sure if they're still independents.

Years ago my uncle told me that when he was a boy he could go to the Fisher's plant in Rockford and for pocket change buy a big brown paper bag of the lumps, burned bits, and other "undesireables" that were deemed unsuitable for retail sale. Of course, they tasted the best...

Brad O.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/12/13 15:52:28 (permalink)
When I was growing up in Chicago I was told that Jay's potato chips was known as Jap's until World War II.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/12/13 16:08:52 (permalink)
The DEA has recently classified these things as addicting:

http://www.chifles-chips.com

Golden Flake? I never considered them "regional", but I guess they indeed are. Shoot, besides plantanos, GF is all that I buy...
"Frito-Lays... I don' want no stinkin' Frito-Lays..."

Check this out:

http://www.goldenflake.com/tour/chiptour.htm

Jameslakes
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/12/13 17:14:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Brad_Olson

When I was growing up in the Rockford IL area in the '60s, '70s, and '80s Mrs. Fisher's was *the* potato chip (the company logo featured 2 children dancing with a potato). In the '70s a brand called Mr. G's showed up and the rumor was that it was started by former Fisher's employees; the chips did have a similar flavor but I think Fisher's were cut just a tad thicker. I'm pretty sure both brands are still around but I'm not sure if they're still independents.

Years ago my uncle told me that when he was a boy he could go to the Fisher's plant in Rockford and for pocket change buy a big brown paper bag of the lumps, burned bits, and other "undesireables" that were deemed unsuitable for retail sale. Of course, they tasted the best...

Brad O.

Yes, Mrs. Fisher still has a plant in Rockford and you can still go in and buy the second's at a cheaper price. Unfortunately, demand in general is down but they still use the same quality ingredients as they always have.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5155
RE: Regional potato chips 2004/12/15 15:35:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jameslakes

quote:
Originally posted by Brad_Olson

Yes, Mrs. Fisher still has a plant in Rockford and you can still go in and buy the second's at a cheaper price. Unfortunately, demand in general is down but they still use the same quality ingredients as they always have.

Outstanding! And this newfangled internet thing tells me this exists:
http://www.mrsfisherschips.com. I went to the "Tales" section and I think I might've gone to high school with one of the authors...

Thanks!

Brad
bigd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Regional potato chips 2005/01/02 10:54:37 (permalink)

Hands down my 2 faves are Jay's out of Chicago and Charles Chips. Unfortunately, I can't get either here in Northern Florida where it seems decent food is impossible to find.
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: Regional potato chips 2005/01/03 19:00:33 (permalink)
I am completely hooked on ketchup potato chips from Canada, if Canada qualifies as a region. (I spend one day in St. Andrews, NB, every summer, which is a rather small sample of a vast country). Herr's (from the mid-Atlantic) makes 'em too but they're a little too sweet.

Bachman's (New England?) Golden Ridges are my very favorite rippled chip. They are a necessity with a big roast beef sub (with tomatoes, pickles, and mayo) from yer neighborhood pizza/sub joint.

Fortunately here in DC I have Utz's as a backup. Now if I can just get them to try ketchup chips...
ladytenor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: Regional potato chips 2005/01/23 02:39:04 (permalink)
Bulldog Trading has all the Charles Chips products below retail price..this includes the pretzels and the pork rinds.

http://bulldogtrading.com/cgi-bin/commercesql/index.cgi

Mikesell's makes a 1/3 less fat variety that we like...it isn't quite as greasy.
I found a single bag of Schlotzsky's Deli chips in our Walmart Supercenter. Best chips I ever ate..but they haven't had them back in the store. Need to do some searching and see if I can buy them anywhere since their nearest deli is down in Louisville. They weren't overly salty and weren't greasy at all.
louisr01
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Regional potato chips 2005/02/02 23:11:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Billfish

Cains Foods,best known for their mayonnaise,but only in new England,as far as I know,used to make some of the best tasting potato chips on the market.They had a big plant down around Medford Mass,but i think they have been out of the chip biz for about 20 years.Its too bad,they were one of the most unique tasting chips around.Im not sure what was so different about them,but you could always pick them out amongst the other brands.I do recall that they were the only brand I remember that came in a clear bag.You have to have faith in your product to package it that way.

louisr01
Junior Burger
RE: Regional potato chips 2005/02/02 23:17:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Billfish

Cains Foods,best known for their mayonnaise,but only in new England,as far as I know,used to make some of the best tasting potato chips on the market.They had a big plant down around Medford Mass,but i think they have been out of the chip biz for about 20 years.Its too bad,they were one of the most unique tasting chips around.Im not sure what was so different about them,but you could always pick them out amongst the other brands.I do recall that they were the only brand I remember that came in a clear bag.You have to have faith in your product to package it that way.

Billfish,
You are right, Cain's BBQ Potato Chips, produced by John E. Cain Co., Ayer, Mass were by far and away the very best of the best. I have tried a wide variety including, among MANY other brands, Humpty Dumpty, State Line, Cape Cod, Utz, Wise, Toms, Lays, &c., &c., &c. Nothing, but nothing came close to the quality of Cain's. I am amused by some of the other posters here who, having tried Utz or some other brand, and liking them, now think they have found something really special and that none other could compare. Of course, taste is a personal matter, but I believe if they could somehow sample the Cains product of the past, their heads would spin and their brand loyalties would take a swift shift. My recollection of Cains is that they were addictive. Had to eat a bag of them every day, and that would be the high point of the day.

A long-time Cains Foods employee informed me earlier this date that, sadly, the spice formula went to Bachmann Potato Chips and that they have since gone belly up. I don't know if I have received accurate information, but my initial research turned up no hint of any Bachmann in the potato chip business. Can anyone shed any further light on this matter?

louisr01@aol.com
louisr01
Junior Burger
RE: Regional potato chips 2005/02/02 23:32:27 (permalink)
To all on this great board:

If you are a person who has experienced Cain's BBQ Potato Chips and loved them, you, in my opinion, are a person who knows a good bbq potato chip, and your opinion is especially meaningful to me. If you have found a product of equal or superior quality I would appreciate it if you could name that brand and provide your opinion of the product.

louisr01@aol.com
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Regional potato chips 2005/02/03 02:06:57 (permalink)
When I lived in South Carolina, Moore's Chips were quite popular. I think they are based out of North Carolina and had an extensive product line in all the supermarkets in the region. Wegman's this week has Zap's Chips from New Orleans on sale in their Sub Shops. Will have to give them a try as I heard a lot of good things about them!
I have to say though, my favorite chip are Wise Chips. I love their flavor even better than Lays.
The worst chip I have ever tasted are the oil laden Troyer Farms chips from Pennsylvania.
AeroDynamic
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Regional potato chips 2005/02/03 07:38:00 (permalink)
I didnt read all the replies so I dont know if anyone mentioned Humpty Dumpty. Theyre a Maine favorite. Especially the BBQ. YUM!

Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 181
RE: Regional potato chips 2005/02/06 20:06:53 (permalink)
[:P] In Ohio we had a local chip factory for years called Carroll's, it was locally owned, it was bought out by Herr's in the 70's and still makes a great chip. In third grade, all the school kids got to take the factory tour here in Chillicothe and eat a single warm chip off the line. At the conclusion of the tour, everyone got a free little 5 cent bag of chips, this was obviously years ago.
Jameslakes
Junior Burger
RE: Regional potato chips 2005/02/09 12:31:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by louisr01

If you are a person who has experienced Cain's BBQ Potato Chips and loved them, you, in my opinion, are a person who knows a good bbq potato chip, and your opinion is especially meaningful to me. If you have found a product of equal or superior quality I would appreciate it if you could name that brand and provide your opinion of the product.

louisr01@aol.com

OK, LouisR, pay attention....the best bbq chip is made by Grippo Potato Chip company of cincinnati. They make 3 varities, a 'reg' bbq a 'hot' and an "XX hot bbq". How good are they? In Cincy people buy them and when the bag is empty they use the crumbs to fry chicken. Some people buy the bags and smash them up and use all the crumbs for coating. Grippo is amoung those small family owned independents who are struggling to keep their products alive. They have a whole bunch of exceptionally good and unique flavors. They now have a website where you can order direct. grippos.com
Jameslakes
Junior Burger
RE: Regional potato chips 2005/02/09 12:39:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by anselmo1

When I lived in South Carolina, Moore's Chips were quite popular. I think they are based out of North Carolina and had an extensive product line in all the supermarkets in the region. Wegman's this week has Zap's Chips from New Orleans on sale in their Sub Shops. Will have to give them a try as I heard a lot of good things about them!
I have to say though, my favorite chip are Wise Chips. I love their flavor even better than Lays.
The worst chip I have ever tasted are the oil laden Troyer Farms chips from Pennsylvania.

Moore's Chips were made in a plant in Bristol VA right on the boarder w/ TN. The plant is operated by Wise now and still produces chips. We all have our particular tastes but with the wonderful chips being made by boutique producers all over the Eastern Part of the US, I cannot fathom how someone could select Wise as their 'favorite' chip. For me, it is one step removed from Pring...I cannot type that word.
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: Regional potato chips 2005/02/10 15:54:47 (permalink)

Billfish,
You are right, Cain's BBQ Potato Chips, produced by John E. Cain Co., Ayer, Mass were by far and away the very best of the best. I have tried a wide variety including, among MANY other brands, Humpty Dumpty, State Line, Cape Cod, Utz, Wise, Toms, Lays, &c., &c., &c. Nothing, but nothing came close to the quality of Cain's. I am amused by some of the other posters here who, having tried Utz or some other brand, and liking them, now think they have found something really special and that none other could compare. Of course, taste is a personal matter, but I believe if they could somehow sample the Cains product of the past, their heads would spin and their brand loyalties would take a swift shift. My recollection of Cains is that they were addictive. Had to eat a bag of them every day, and that would be the high point of the day.

A long-time Cains Foods employee informed me earlier this date that, sadly, the spice formula went to Bachmann Potato Chips and that they have since gone belly up. I don't know if I have received accurate information, but my initial research turned up no hint of any Bachmann in the potato chip business. Can anyone shed any further light on this matter?

louisr01@aol.com

But wait, louis r01, I think you were just spelling it wrong: Bachman's has only one n - here's their chip site: http://store.montysecure.com/summary.lasso?cat_val=potato%20chips
peachy1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/01/02 22:19:24 (permalink)
Help needed! Back in the late 60's and early 70's I used to buy 3# boxes of Senft potato chips at supermarkets in York, Pa. I discovered that Senft had a tiny one-kettle facility there in York. I am now told that they are long out of business. I am told that they sold out to Martin's, but they say not. What I am trying to find is another Senft chip and can't find it. I have had almost a dozen different brands of chips shipped to me here in Oklahoma, and none of them compares. They were kettle-cooked, but they weren't the hard, tough, almost inedible chips of today. Today's kettle-cooked chips are simply too tough to munch! Who can enjoy something that hurts your mouth to crunch them? The Senft simply exploded when you bit down on them, they turned into granules if you like. Anyone know of a chip that might compare? If it's in the Cape Cod mold, that't too tough!
joebreen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/01/06 16:23:33 (permalink)
This is for Essvee, I live in New England and was distraught over the loss of Stateline. However, believe it or not, they are back, manufactured out of Lynn Mass. I special order them from Highland Park Market in Suffield, CT. The manager's name is Joe and their telephone number is 860-668-3770. He can get them for you and ship them if you like.

acer2x
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 448
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/01/06 17:17:33 (permalink)
When visiting Phoenix,I've always liked Poore Bros chips, particularly the BarBQ ones.
bcohio
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/02/01 11:48:28 (permalink)
In Dayton and SW Ohio, the best chip is Mike Sell's based here, just a few miles from my house so we get the freshest ones. Their secret is they fry in 100% pure peanut oil. It makes them have great flavor, unlike a certain Coke-owned national brand.
bcohio
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/02/01 11:55:35 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

louisr01@aol.com

OK, LouisR, pay attention....the best bbq chip is made by Grippo Potato Chip company of cincinnati. They make 3 varities, a 'reg' bbq a 'hot' and an "XX hot bbq". How good are they? In Cincy people buy them and when the bag is empty they use the crumbs to fry chicken. Some people buy the bags and smash them up and use all the crumbs for coating. Grippo is amoung those small family owned independents who are struggling to keep their products alive. They have a whole bunch of exceptionally good and unique flavors. They now have a website where you can order direct. grippos.com

I second jameslakes. Grippo's are the best bbq chips, even better than Mike Sell's, but Mike sells makes the better regular chip.
essvee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/02/01 12:19:26 (permalink)
joebreen, you are so cool one could store a side of beef in you. I shall order some forthwith. Thanks!
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/02/02 12:31:21 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

louisr01@aol.com

I'm a lifelong resident of the Cincinnati region, and I must respectfully disagree. I've always found Grippo's highly overrated. Overdone. Greasy. Sometimes stale. Husman's is much better, but not as good as Mike Sell's.
CoastFan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/02/05 23:30:10 (permalink)
Great topic,

I was born and raised in PA, so grew up with many of the chips already named, such as Wise, Utz, Herrs and it seems a a bunch of other brands, many no longer with us. I don't know whether they still sell chips in those huge metal cans anymore, but buying chips in that quantity was something unique to central PA.

Now, I live in the other potato growing area: the Pacific Northwest. Tim's Cascade chips represent the region well. I'm torn between the regular (always been a traditionalist) and the salt and vinegar variety.

In fact, I've become so fond of Tim's that I'm now almost a chip heretic; preferring them to the great central PA chips of my youth.
BlueberrieSwirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/03/09 23:08:16 (permalink)
Utz's salt and pepper chips are great.

Tom's has a loaded baked potato chip that I dearly love.. but I've only seen it in tiny bags in vending machines.

Martin's makes a VERY good bbq chip, it flys off the shelves and I've heard of people who ship it by the box out of state to family.

I also like a good dill pickle chip.. Uncle Ray's makes a good one. We just got their brand in the store I work at recently. www.unclerays.com

I also forgot to mention Kitchn Cookd (Not a misspelling) and Gibbles. We have some great brands over here in VA (and I'm sure there are a great many elsewhere as well.)
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/03/12 17:45:06 (permalink)
anyone remeber jays from the chicagoland area?
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 7 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1