Hot!Regional potato chips

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 8 of 10
Author
Boston Yank
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/05/15 00:12:43 (permalink)
Hi There, I just became a member here and your post motivated me to respond. It is a few minutes after midnight here on Monday, May 15th and I am munching on a delicious bag of State Line Potato Chips. I don't think they are out of business. Although I did not purchase these chips around here in the Worcester, MA area wher I live, my brother did around the Hartford, Ct area. Those chips are very prevalent around there. I don't know whatever happened to the parent company of Wilbraham but someone is apparently still making them and yes, they are the world's greatest chips!
startrooper00
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/05/15 23:50:28 (permalink)
I am still a big fan of Husman's and Grippo's. They are still my favorites!!!!!
fishfry
Junior Burger
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/08/16 11:40:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Herron

Uncle Ray's Potato Chips from the Detroit area are really tasty (http://www.unclerays.com/). I love the coney dog chips - they taste just like a Detroit coney! You can read reviews of all the Uncle Ray's brands here (http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?manuf_code=13).

There good. Try Better Made thhat's here in detroit also. I'll choose those any day over any other bag of chips (particulary barbecue). There right off the I-94 exit coming east in Detroit. Exiit @ Gratiot and make a right go a few blocks up and its on the right. The storefront and everything.
aako
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/08/16 16:48:49 (permalink)
Old Dutch Potato Chips are one of the things I miss about the midwest. Their garlic and onion chips were great.
Wendy62
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/08/16 16:55:31 (permalink)
http://www.grandefoods.com/Product.php?section=LauraScudders/LSJalapeno/LSPotatoChips

Laura Scudders stuffed jalapeno flavor potato chips. I don't know how regional they are, but I've only found them in California.
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/08/16 18:34:03 (permalink)
Schuler's potato chips out of Rochester, NY may take a few people down memory lane. They have been defunct for decades having been bought out by Wise, which in turn was bought out by Borden's as I recall. As a child I loved them, we got all we wanted for free because my older sister worked at the factory for a while. A big plus was the ones we got were made that day.

I used to buy Dirty's Potato Chips until they changed the recipe. They used to brag about being cooked in pure peanut oil, now it is a "peanut oil blend" For the size of the bag they are rather expensive chips. They cheapened the product but did not reduce the price, thus they lost my trust and support.

Who has the true real deal chips in this thread? My vote goes to Sundancer7 who makes his own. They certainly resemble the original 1853 recipe by George Crum of Saratoga Springs more than any commercial product mentioned.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8389
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/08/16 18:47:33 (permalink)
Ole Salty kettle chips.They are made in Rockford,Illinois and i can get them at specialty food stores in the Milwaukee area.Just love them!!!And Old Dutch are awesome, also-great flavored chips
Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/08/16 20:04:26 (permalink)
I found a couple of sources regarding the history of potato chips that people here may find interesting.

Here are the links:

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/potatochips.htm

http://www.geography.ccsu.edu/harmonj/atlas/potchips.htm
HungryMike
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/08/25 09:01:50 (permalink)
Does anyone remember BON TON??? My grandfather used to have them in his bar in NJ. THey were great,very thin very salty and every bag had one or two of those neat burned pieces.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/09/11 09:08:41 (permalink)
I'm originally from central Pa. the chips I remember most were Hartley's.....BBQ or plain.

Middlesworth aren't bad, my Aunt Mamie lived in a little town called Middleburg, Pa. just up the street from the Middlesworth plant. She would buy the chips directly from the plant...not even in the normal packages, man were they ever good. Much better eating them directly from the plant instead of off the retail shelf!

Martin's runs a close second to Hartley's, I believe their plant is located on rt30 between York and Gettysburg. I've often thought about stopping by the plant to see if one could purchase some factory direct...LOL..
roadrash
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/09/11 19:11:12 (permalink)
Middleswarth's and Utz are by far my favorites. Middleswarth's are very difficult to find out of the central PA area, however.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/09/12 13:34:05 (permalink)
Yeah--I remember Bon Ton--All over NJ--I wonder if they are still made?
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/09/12 14:01:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roadrash

Middleswarth's and Utz are by far my favorites. Middleswarth's are very difficult to find out of the central PA area, however.

Roadrash,

I ordered a box of Middlesworth BBQ a few days ago off of a website callled "pasnacks.com"

They arrived last night, I plan on trying them this evening with a frosty Straub (another Pa. delicacy, beer that is) I'll post here to let y'all know how they were after being shipped.
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/09/12 14:28:10 (permalink)
Hello All,
I am a lover of potatoes and thus potato chips.
It is amazing that the industry has produced so many varietys of
different chips. Some are so good and other I wonder why did they try?
It's like the Almond Joy/Mounds commercial..some time I feel like a nut, some
times I don't.
Well, sometimes I just want the flavour of the potato in my potato chip and some
times I want more.
What I find disturbing is that in all potato chips, regular or whatever spice or flavour,
is that there is truly an inconstancy of flavour, uniqueness, or whatever that made
it mate with my tastebuds. But that is alright. Like wine, each years product depends
on the seasons conditions and when and how it had to be harvested.
So many flavoured chips destroy the flavour of the potato, so when I can I return to
the concept of a good potato tasting chip that I can dip into a sauce or processed dip.
I know it sounds anal, especially when we talking about potato chips,...but we are searching
for the best flavour, whether it be chips, beer, pizza, steak, fish, or etc....
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/09/12 15:00:42 (permalink)
Fieldthistle, I agree with you.
The best chips I ever had were when I worked in an insurance claim office. I helped a lady settle her claim and she was very pleased, so one day she brought in a huge bag of still-warm potato chips from the fryer. Turned out she worked at the Bon Ton plant in York, PA.
Those chips didn't last five minutes in our office.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/09/14 07:12:56 (permalink)
After receiving and trying the Middlesworth chips....I'd say do not order them online. The seem a bit stale and lifeless. Not to mention they were battered and broken....I guess from the shipping.

Oh well....
dirtdog58
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/09/23 14:47:56 (permalink)
essvee,sadly stateline went out of buisness year's ago.The company was sold to an investment group that also bought Boyd's potato chip's from Lynn,Ma. They closed the Wilbraham plant & were packaging Boyds under the stateline name. the name is still out there but are now made in canada.humpty-dumpty brand also.Iworked @ stateline for a few year's in the late '70's & have many fond memories of the product & the people there.we did'nt make much money but we had alot of fun.the plant resembled a nut-house @ time's.I'm certain I may still have some pencil's kicking around with the stateline logo on them.You may want to try Granite State chip's from Salem,NH.it's a small 2 man operation that harkens back to an easier time.they don't have a website but I'm certain you can call them & order a couple of boxes.
drpep
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/09/25 20:55:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Joisey

Yeah--I remember Bon Ton--All over NJ--I wonder if they are still made?

www.bickelssnacks.com Click on products.
Big Sausage
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/09/25 21:35:41 (permalink)
Poor Brothers Chips here in Arizona are really good.

http://www.poorebrothers.com/home.html
ashd8516
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/09/30 02:59:18 (permalink)
Mike Sells or Uncle Rays' dill pickle flavor
desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/11/20 19:31:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Sausage

Poor Brothers Chips here in Arizona are really good.

http://www.poorebrothers.com/home.html

I concur. Poore Brothers rock and, with ten different flavors, something for every occasion!
Cinnabonbon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 149
RE: Regional potato chips 2006/11/21 01:13:20 (permalink)
We enjoy Poore Boys salt & pepper chips. The habanero chips are also good. Our favorite jalepeno chips are Tim's cascade potato chips.
Porkboys
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/01/08 18:39:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

Schuler's potato chips out of Rochester, NY may take a few people down memory lane. They have been defunct for decades having been bought out by Wise, which in turn was bought out by Borden's as I recall. As a child I loved them, we got all we wanted for free because my older sister worked at the factory for a while. A big plus was the ones we got were made that day.

I used to buy Dirty's Potato Chips until they changed the recipe. They used to brag about being cooked in pure peanut oil, now it is a "peanut oil blend" For the size of the bag they are rather expensive chips. They cheapened the product but did not reduce the price, thus they lost my trust and support.

Who has the true real deal chips in this thread? My vote goes to Sundancer7 who makes his own. They certainly resemble the original 1853 recipe by George Crum of Saratoga Springs more than any commercial product mentioned.

Porkboys
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/01/08 18:41:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Porkboys

quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

My sister and I loved Schuler's especially when they used to come two boxes to a pack. When they went to a bag they lost some of their goodness. No chip I have tasted since has been that good.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/01/12 22:25:43 (permalink)
To Joisey:

Bon Ton are still made in their original plant on Zinn's Quarry Road in York, PA:
http://www.bickelssnacks.com/outlet%20store%20map.htm

The sign says Bickels, but Hanover Foods bought up several snack foods companies, including Bickels, York Snacks and Bon Ton over the years. If you are ever in the York, PA, check out the factory store. They sell all sorts of closeouts made by Hanover Foods - canned vegetables, tomato products, as well as snack foods. The prices are really cheap.

Bon Ton products tend to show up around here in dollar stores and independent supermarkets who get their stuff from White Rose or General Trading out of Carlstadt.
db1105
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/01/16 17:51:11 (permalink)
We do Herr's. They also have a great factory tour! Plus, great snacks.
Tom Layman
Junior Burger
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/01/18 02:11:47 (permalink)

Thanks for the memories of Mister Bee from our years in SE Ohio. But Conn's was thelocal chip for me. One night my brother was visiting & having some brew & noticed a serving of Conn's had 15 grams of fat, a serving being 15 chips. He shrugged & put his hand in again. Mrs. Fisher's has the same addicting greasiness. I'm surprised I haven't had a heart attack from reading all these notes. I'm glad to see Kettle Cooked & Mikesells are so well received because we have them both here in Champaign.
Junior Burger
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/03/06 09:48:39 (permalink)
If anyone knows where I could find Mr. G's potato chips could you pleae let me know. Thanks!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/03/28 08:50:30 (permalink)
I don't know if this particular brand was mentioned before, but while in Detroit over the weekend, I picked up a bag of Sylvia's Honey Barbecue chips. They were the kettle cooked style and were some of the best chips I have had in a while. I assumed that since I have never seen them around my home in Pittsburgh, that they were a local Michigan product. But it looks like they came from Greensboro, North Carolina. I wonder why I have never seen them before.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/03/28 09:19:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

I don't know if this particular brand was mentioned before, but while in Detroit over the weekend, I picked up a bag of Sylvia's Honey Barbecue chips. They were the kettle cooked style and were some of the best chips I have had in a while. I assumed that since I have never seen them around my home in Pittsburgh, that they were a local Michigan product. But it looks like they came from Greensboro, North Carolina. I wonder why I have never seen them before.

Here in Northern Va. the Quizno's in the area feature Sylvia's chips. That's the only place I recall seeing them. I like Sylvia's Sea Salt and Vinegar chips....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm crunchy!
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 8 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1