Hot!Regional potato chips

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 9 of 10
Author
iqdiva
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/03/28 10:13:53 (permalink)
Golden Flake is this Alabama lady's favorite chip!
Blower
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/04/08 02:32:36 (permalink)
Although we have some good local ones in MI, I have to go with the cape cod russet and dark russets.
jstcllmered
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/04/15 00:54:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rebeltruce

After receiving and trying the Middlesworth chips....I'd say do not order them online. The seem a bit stale and lifeless. Not to mention they were battered and broken....I guess from the shipping.

Oh well....

Hey Rebel...thanks for the info about the Middlesworth chips. I was looking at the pasnacks.com website and was just about to order then I read your quote on the forum. I guess I'll have my mom pack up some and ship them to me here in California.
Pennagirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/06/29 19:21:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 7112000

If anyone knows where I could find Mr. G's potato chips could you pleae let me know. Thanks!

Mr. G's, I believe was a brand of Nibble with Gibble's (kosher), Gibbles has been gone for a while now.

My dad and sister worked for Nibble with Gibble's and sadly the company went under. I am sure the Cheese Puffys are still being made by the new owners (the cousin purchase the place).. Martins Potato Rolls (Chambersburg, PA).

My dad was the fleet manager and my sister worked in the network department.
Pennagirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/06/29 19:27:08 (permalink)
Correction ALL Nibble with Gibble and Kay & Ray Potato Chip Lovers.....

You can purchase these brands throught the Martin's Pastry Shoppe online store (makers of the Martin Potato Roll, those can be purchased too.). Below is the link. HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.martinsfamouspastryshoppe.com/store/Scripts/default.asp
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/07/06 15:59:11 (permalink)
I'd have to say that growing up in Massachusetts, Cape Cod and Wachusetts are my absolute favorites! Both are very different from each other...Cape Cod are the kettle cooked variety while the Wachusett's are non-greasy and excellent for dipping (won't break) with a very potato like taste! I'm not sure what happened to state line either...but I do remember them being very similar to Wachusett's! Could anyone tell me where to find dill pickle flavored potato chips in the Mass/CT area?
Lkim
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/08/01 16:38:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Boston Yank

Hi There, I just became a member here and your post motivated me to respond. It is a few minutes after midnight here on Monday, May 15th and I am munching on a delicious bag of State Line Potato Chips. I don't think they are out of business. Although I did not purchase these chips around here in the Worcester, MA area wher I live, my brother did around the Hartford, Ct area. Those chips are very prevalent around there. I don't know whatever happened to the parent company of Wilbraham but someone is apparently still making them and yes, they are the world's greatest chips!

I just joined this forum and saw the post about State Line chips. I grew up in Wilbraham and loved these chips. Living around the country I missed them until one of my sons went to grad school in Springfield and would bring them to me. That was about 15 yrs ago and I've not had them since. I understand the main factory is closed and the building is up for sale. If someone is still making these, I'd love to know about it.
zothhh
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/08/06 01:10:37 (permalink)
Try Blair's Death Rain. Very spicy and nice texture. I could sit in front of a football game and eat about 20 pounds of the Buffalo Wing flavored. I concur about Poore Brothers, an excellent chip.
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/08/06 10:59:51 (permalink)
Foxyfishy - Utz makes a pretty good dill pickle chip. They're carrying them at Big Y and Stop and Shop, now, for two places I know of. I recommend their salt and black pepper variety, myself.

I keep wanting to try the Wachusett ketchup chips, as they're a favorite on Taqutos.net, but the brand rarely seems to get out of central Mass.
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/08/18 02:25:27 (permalink)
original
This is what I grew up with, so to me, this is how a chip should taste.

They also have a garlic onion that I'm crazy about.
other variety includes:
lightly salted
unsalted
bbq
honey bbq
salt and vinegar (my wife's favorite)
Of course the product line includes all kinds of snacks http://www.wisesnacks.com/products_other_snacks_all.html
Quartz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/08/19 22:27:26 (permalink)
Rays and Better Made (Detroit Companies).
Quartz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/08/19 22:33:40 (permalink)
Oh and Vince's.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6271
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/08/20 18:11:03 (permalink)
In the New York /Pa area, by far our favorite is HERRS. We've toured the factory many times, and the care that gpes into their chips is tops with us. Give them a try if you can find them!
leethebard
Farmallcub
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/09/15 05:14:18 (permalink)
New owners of Mrs. Fishers in Rockford IL.
http://www.rrstar.com/business/x680948388
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/09/15 07:36:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ynotryme

original
This is what I grew up with, so to me, this is how a chip should taste.

They also have a garlic onion that I'm crazy about.
other variety includes:
lightly salted
unsalted
bbq
honey bbq
salt and vinegar (my wife's favorite)
Of course the product line includes all kinds of snacks http://www.wisesnacks.com/products_other_snacks_all.html

The onion and garlic are the best...although the honey bbq chips are good also!

Every once in a while I jones for the Cheez Waffies

yum!
Big Frank
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/09/15 07:46:49 (permalink)
When we visit familiy in PA we always have to bring home a few bags of Middleswarths and Hartleys potato chips.
Tfshaw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/09/15 17:11:25 (permalink)
Martins Kettle Cooked Waffle Cut BBQ, with Gibbles a close second
Lynn37
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Regional potato chips 2007/12/19 22:04:32 (permalink)
I was very satisfied with pasnacks.com service. They delivered my favorite Middleswarth potato chips quickly and safely. I ordered and a few days later I was munching on a treat that I would have had to travel to Pennsylvania to enjoy. This is great! If you ask me, UPS or the postal service got a little too rough with your package Rebel. My favorite flavor/variety is Kettle Cooked BBQ. The best ever! The chips are crunchy and flavorful (plus there is always sugary flavoring to enjoy at the bottom of the bag...don't miss out on that!) Yum :)
quote:
Originally posted by jstcllmered

quote:

After receiving and trying the Middlesworth chips....I'd say do not order them online. The seem a bit stale and lifeless. Not to mention they were battered and broken....I guess from the shipping.

Oh well....

Hey Rebel...thanks for the info about the Middlesworth chips. I was looking at the pasnacks.com website and was just about to order then I read your quote on the forum. I guess I'll have my mom pack up some and ship them to me here in California.
salindgren
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/01/01 00:00:24 (permalink)
Ah, I may have posted here on this thread, but here goes. When I was a child in CT, this would be about 1962, we had a Charles Chips man who drove around in a van, and delivered every week. Like the milkman. He tried to push other products, like the CC version of Cheetos, etc, but my Mom would never buy anything but the chips. He had a basket, again like the milkman, with all this other stuff in there. But of course what we all recall is that big can of chips, and the CC man would pick up the empty ones! I guess they washed them and reused 'em. Like milk bottles, or cloth diapers, or long neck beer bottles. I remember once tossing a cherry bomb in a CC can, putting the lid on, and running away. The thing just split apart, and was pretty much flat sheet metal afterwards.
In LA, my favorite through the '80s was Laura Scudder's Sour Cream & Chive Wavy chips. But they are no more. Those were just perfect. Today, I have no particular favorite, but I do like that Jalapeno item they dispense at Subway.
-Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net
Clarisse
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/01/01 20:41:42 (permalink)
I just got finished watching an episode on salty treats on a show called "American Eats" on the History Channel. It bought back a lot of memories, since I live on the opposite coast from where I was born.

Interesting about all the posts on PA potato chips. This show went over the history of the potato chip, which started in a restaurant in Saratoga Springs in NY, but blossomed in PA because the type of potato grown there were rounder with thinner skins than the russet, thus easier for potato chip making!

Right now I am absolutely addicted to Poore Brother's Jalepeno chips. Actually panic if I don't have a bag near me at work!!

I have a question, though. One of the bags of chips they showed were pickle potato chips. I love this flavor. First had them in Toronto, Canada in 1989. They were Ruffles, but apparently only sold in Canada. A couple of years ago they appeared briefly in the supermarket, made by Lays, but I haven't been able to find any recently. Any suggestions on the best brand to try and how to get them?
MrRobert
Junior Burger
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/05/27 12:52:58 (permalink)
I've had excellent service every time I have ordered Middleswarth Chips from PA Snacks. My favorite Middlesworth chips arrive at my front door within about a week after placing my order and I can sit down and enjoy a great snackfood item without having to travel to Pennsylvania for what I consider are the best chips in the world! You can find these chips at www.pasnacks.com or www.middlesarthchips.com. I highly recommend PA Snacks (I have been a customer for since 2004 and have had nothing but excellent service).
MrRobert
Junior Burger
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/05/27 15:17:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jstcllmered

quote:

Oh well....

I have been ordering for years from PA Snacks and have had nothing but the best service. I highly recommend visiting if you are a fan of Pennsylvania snack foods! Besides offering Middleswarth (Middlesworth) Chips, they even have Shoo-Fly pie, Tastykakes, and birch beer available. Love them all!
jfitz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/05/27 15:46:11 (permalink)
Ol Ort named these back in 03: Sterzings.Some mentioned Gibbles. Both are addictive.
steaklover
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/05/31 08:41:38 (permalink)
I used to get Charles Chips in CT in the early 90's, but not since. (In bags, not cans. Hadn't seen cans in years). The regular salted came in the familiar brown speckled bags, the unsalted in white. Most stores never heard of them.
I also miss Connecticut Wachussetts, a family favorite also long gone. Bachman's kettle cooked are pretty good.

Utz and Wise don't do anything for me
I think Lay's killed off much of its competition.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4091
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/05/31 09:33:49 (permalink)
Where did Charles Chips in the big tin go? I loved their beer pretzels, too.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3154
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/07/19 09:27:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Brad_Olson

When I was growing up in the Rockford IL area in the '60s, '70s, and '80s Mrs. Fisher's was *the* potato chip (the company logo featured 2 children dancing with a potato). In the '70s a brand called Mr. G's showed up and the rumor was that it was started by former Fisher's employees; the chips did have a similar flavor but I think Fisher's were cut just a tad thicker. I'm pretty sure both brands are still around but I'm not sure if they're still independents.

Years ago my uncle told me that when he was a boy he could go to the Fisher's plant in Rockford and for pocket change buy a big brown paper bag of the lumps, burned bits, and other "undesireables" that were deemed unsuitable for retail sale. Of course, they tasted the best...

Brad O.
I'm not sure if it has something to do with having a Mrs. in the name, but I tried these Mrs. Fischer chips for the first time yesterday and it brought back memories of Mrs. Drenks and Mrs. Howes, two chip companies of my youth. I feel these are the best chips I've had in at least 30 years. We got them at our local Woodmans and I plan on returning to the store (and soon) to pick more up. Its a unique taste that once was common to Milwaukee but one that has disappeared, sort of like calling them The Bonomo's Turkish Taffy of chips.
They still are made in Rockford and are still owned by a woman! Good stuff.I'm editing this to add the cool company logo I came across.

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6271
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/07/19 10:03:51 (permalink)
Lot's of you mentioned Wise products. I too grew up with them...they were always darker and more "Deep Gold" than other chips. Lays are too bland for me. But now,I've grown accustomed to Herrs, as I said earlier...and if I can't get them, it's the other Pennsylvania(chip and pretzel capital of the world, Utz!!
starfire62
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/07/19 19:42:51 (permalink)
when i was young i grew up in fall river ,ma .my aunt worked at a little chip factory called salvos chips.she used to buy a trash bag size of chips for $1.they closed in the 70s.they knocked down the building and put up a mcdonalds.
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/07/19 21:46:47 (permalink)
Here in NE Tennessee we had a brand called Terry's which I really enjoyed. They were made in Bristol, Tn or Va not sure which. Unfortunately they went under several years ago. One of our local supermarket chains called Food City has recently started to revive some of the "nostalga" brands and Terry's was one of them. They brought out the original packaging and flavors but I'm not sure if it's the same recipe. At least it doesn't taste like the original to me. To be fair though my tastes have changed so much it may just be me.
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 477
RE: Regional potato chips 2008/09/13 20:39:51 (permalink)
Does any one know how to get some Jays red hots, I have only seen them in Detroit. Also I am addicted to Zapps, I order them and they are shipped in days, so many flavors to choose from. The crawtater and the tomato/tabasco are soooo good.
Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 9 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1